Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review

+3
cheelun
car o scope
htkaki
7 posters

Go down

Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Empty Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review

Post by htkaki Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Since there is a promo (deduction of USD100), I took the plunge and bought it.

Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review XPA5_angle

Hook it up to my Denon AVR-4310 to drive the 5 channels, while the remaining surr back speakers are being taken care by 4310 itself.

The instant improvement is the details from a movie. There is a sense of better dynamics too. The center channel did benefit from the additional power. The dialogue / vocal is more pronounced now. The power amp seems to induce a new life to it.

Then, I tried it again at higher volume (-10dB) to see whether it could still cope it out with control. Impressively, it does.

Been listening to some CDs with it. The power hungry SVS MTS-01 floorstanders are tuneful. There is no indication of it sounds harsh. The treble is well controlled and the bass is generated with ample oomph; not overpowering.

Somehow, it doesn't has the kind of warm when you listen to CD. I think this is the only grouse that I had. If for movie purpose, I would heartily say that for about RM4,000, Emotiva XPA-5 would be the toughest power amp to beat. It has enough power to pull it thorugh. Unless you are listening at near reference level, the XPA-5 tends to sound a bit harsh. Then again, only a few dare to watch at that kind of volume.

After a few hours using it, I did a check on its temperature. Unbelievably cool for a 5X 200W power amp. The AVR-4310 is so much hotter.

XPA-5 has indeed injected a new lease of life into my system now. By the time that I am typing this, there are 6 more new XPA-5 owners in KL / PJ area.

More info on the XPA-5 :
http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Empty Re: Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review

Post by car o scope Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:44 pm

Emotiva is quite famous among those US HT fans.
I wonder if it is good in music.
Would like to try it out.

I saw a bunch of LYN forum HT gang buying this power amp. Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_razz
Suddenly, the Emotiva has become a hot topic there.
Recession? Hmmm... Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_biggrin
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Empty Re: Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review

Post by cheelun Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi Htkaki,

Did u buy it through the website?? Any hassle? Any extra M'sia tax?

cheelun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Yes, bought it from Emotiva website. No hassle. They are using FedEx for the shipment. 15% import duty and 10% sales tax being imposed. Paid abt RM830 for the taxes.
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Our Govt implement hefty taxes. Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_sad
That's equivalent to 26.5% for amplifiers.

Tumpang thread...
Anyone here knows what's the tax for cables?
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:27 pm

oh yes, b4 i forgot abt it. cheelun, Emo offer ends on 23rd Dec 09.
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by cheelun Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Thanks htkaki for the reminder.

I must bear in mind that the actual price will be 25% of what is quoted on the website, rite?

And what about the shipping fees?

Am actually thinking of getting a power amp for 2 channel music.

Maybe can wait until our currency is a little stronger against the greenback before taking the plunge. In that sense, maybe no need the 100usd discount!! Heheheheheheh

Cheers

cheelun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:04 pm

It was UD799. Now, USD699. That's abt 8.7% discount. The shipping fee is abt USD220.

Wow... wait for greenback to hit about RM3.15?
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:32 pm

greenback to hit RM3.15 ? Yau Mou ? From what I am seeing, it's actualy gone back up in recent days.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:19 am

I will be very happy if greenback slides to RM3.15. Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_smile

BTW, Emotiva sales has just ended, right?
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by junchoon Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:24 am

just fyi, the sales end on 31st dec 2009.

good luck!!! Smile

cheers,
wps

junchoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 122

Character sheet
Source(s): SCD-XA5400ES
Amplification: AV7005 with XPA-5
Speakers: Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:33 am

htkaki wrote:Yes, bought it from Emotiva website. No hassle. They are using FedEx for the shipment. 15% import duty and 10% sales tax being imposed. Paid abt RM830 for the taxes.

This is the issue here, baru kena about RM720 tax for my OPPO 83, the Emotiva on 'standby order' (contacted and got quote oledi), to decide 'go/no go' today coz sale ending 12/31/2009. Rolling Eyes

Another thing is the comment by htkaki about listening to CD, intend to also use for my 5.1 SACD/DVD-A listening, wonder whether worthwhile to buy. Pricewise for HT I suppose no match with other product...

Alamak, just check the webpage, no more stock, price USD799 and only ship in February 2010 Shocked Maybe can use for CNY Very Happy

Cheers,

zeebee
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by junchoon Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:54 am

oops!!! too bad... next year loh...

wps

junchoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:49 pm

wps, how's your Emo been doing? Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_lol

Been using my XPA-5 almost everyday now. Now, I am in my HT room more often. Browsing net while listening to music with it.
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by junchoon Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:15 pm

way too heavy for me to move to my audio room upstairs!!! waiting for that strong muscle brother htkaki to drop by so can help me move! hahaa!!!

cheers,
wps

junchoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:10 am

junchoon wrote:way too heavy for me to move to my audio room upstairs!!! waiting for that strong muscle brother htkaki to drop by so can help me move! hahaa!!!

cheers,
wps

Wah.. asking a taukeh to help you move stuffs ah? Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_eek
Very expensive labour. Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by junchoon Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

car o scope wrote:
junchoon wrote:way too heavy for me to move to my audio room upstairs!!! waiting for that strong muscle brother htkaki to drop by so can help me move! hahaa!!!

cheers,
wps

Wah.. asking a taukeh to help you move stuffs ah? Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_eek
Very expensive labour. Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_razz

oops!!!!!! what was i thinking????? u r right, he is too expensive lah... cannot afford! Sad

poor-man-cannot-afford-muscle-boss,
wps

junchoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:23 pm

junchoon wrote:
oops!!!!!! what was i thinking????? u r right, he is too expensive lah... cannot afford! Sad

poor-man-cannot-afford-muscle-boss,
wps
Maybe you can afford but it is just expensive.. hahahahhaa.. Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:58 pm

car o scope wrote:

cheers,
wps

Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_redface Dont have to call taukeh. Small fry trying to make a living only.

I'll help with no charge to move that up. Just buy me a drink and fire up the sys for me to drool. That's more than enough Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_biggrin
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by mpyw Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:08 pm

I have a XPA-3, the lil brother of XPA-5 to drive my 3 front channels...so far so good, even astro drama sounded better through my Axiom speakers....

mpyw
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:59 pm

How's the emos after running-in?
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mpyw Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:35 am

The emo's sound improves over time.....
the major improvement is when I change the interconnector to Diamondback..
No more harsh sound from the highest note compared to emo's own cable be it x-series or ultra series....

mpyw
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by junchoon Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:47 am

mpyw wrote:The emo's sound improves over time.....
the major improvement is when I change the interconnector to Diamondback..
No more harsh sound from the highest note compared to emo's own cable be it x-series or ultra series....

u r using xlr or rca for the x-series ahh? i find the xlr connection has low noise floor loh... Smile

cheers,
wps

junchoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mpyw Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:25 am

me using RCA nia lar....my receiver dont hv XLR out

mpyw
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by junchoon Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:00 am

mpyw wrote:me using RCA nia lar....my receiver dont hv XLR out

oh like that ahh... should upgrade liao, hahaa! Smile

junchoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:26 am

Trying to encourage CNY shopping spree? Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by junchoon Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:42 am

car o scope wrote:Trying to encourage CNY shopping spree? Emotiva XPA-5 5 channels power amp - brief review Icon_razz

aiyaa, for mypw should be wet wet water lah... Smile

junchoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down