Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

CD player or blu Ray universal player?

3 posters

Go down

CD player or blu Ray universal player? Empty CD player or blu Ray universal player?

Post by saintambrose Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:34 pm

hi all, 
I already have a Cambridge audio dac..
So now...

I am thinking of getting a CD player with sacd. Shud I get a blu Ray universal player which can play sacd or shud I get a cheap blu Ray, n get a good sacd player, my budget was around rm 700, maybe too low huh.....

Now Harvey Norman warehouse sales I saw a pioneer blu Ray with sacd, bdp 150 around rm550, can't remember the exact figure, is this good deal 
Anyone have experience with this player please comment also..

Or shud I just to get a normal blu Ray which Sony s1200 selling at around rm200 at the warehouse sales as well...

And get a better CD player....

saintambrose
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2013-05-12

Back to top Go down

CD player or blu Ray universal player? Empty Re: CD player or blu Ray universal player?

Post by cmboy Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:53 pm

I used to use a universal (old model) Philips DVD with SACD capable features. Maybe sub Rm500 at that time. Its only so good as purpose built and will play anything you throw at it. Even after some major modifications, its pushed only so far. Recently, I upgraded to a better mid end Marantz CDP (no SACD) with USB feature. Its a huge difference in sonic quality and resolve with heavier and better build architecture.
Its up to you on what you wish to afford and what you expect of it for your personal satisfaction.
Of course audiophiles will always claim a hifi CD Player is best for audio cd and those cheap multiplayers will not cut edge.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

CD player or blu Ray universal player? Empty Re: CD player or blu Ray universal player?

Post by saintambrose Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks cm, do u use a dac as well?

saintambrose
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gkt Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:08 pm

If you wish I can loan you a spare DVD/SACD universal player that I intend to sell later on, for your comparison. No obligations to buy whatsoever, you can test in your own setup and determine for yourself if it has the right sound for you.

PM if you are interested and if you live not too far from where I live - Shah Alam.
gkt
gkt
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Densen B475, Goldmund Mimesis 12 DAC
Amplification: Clarity Audio Mono Pre and Power
Speakers: Silverline Bolero

Back to top Go down

Post by saintambrose Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Gkt very nice of u, what the model/ brand?
How much u intend to sell

saintambrose
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by saintambrose Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Ohh it's dvd? I prefer blu Ray lol, thank anyway.
How does it serve you? U have a good cdp or did u hook up to a dac?

saintambrose
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:19 pm

I think it doesn't matter its DVD or Blu Ray features. The cheaper the item can consist of cheaper internal components and electronics by production en-masse. IMHO, these players are not in the same league as purpose dedicated CD Players designed and built for the purpose. Common sense will prevail if plasticky cheap players can outperform more expensive Marantz, Rotel, whatever thats being marketed and promoted as audiophile CDP. They would be outclassed if cheap players can outperform them all.
Having said that, of course there are current offerings like OPPO or similar built multi purpose players but these are high priced products as seen in the market. As for their prowess, its subjective. 
As for connecting to another external DAC, this is another matter and more boxes to your component count. I'm speaking about 1 box solution CDP or multi player. All these combination with external DAC of different grade or build offer subjective sound quality and personal satisfaction level. One man's meat is another man's poison, so to speak.
On a personal level, its my aim at this point of time for not having too many component count, 1 box Marantz CDP with USB feature fits my main purpose. I've given up video long ago, just using a cheap media player connected to TV to watch HD movies (albeit in compressed format) which is good enough for me. I do have an excellent 16/20bit external DAC but not in use. Reduce component count is the purpose and being less fussy on sonic quality. My 2 sen.

Last edited by cmboy on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by saintambrose Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Haha, have to really experience it my ownself, so far I haven't tried a good cdp yet, maybe the blu Ray cdp will do for me now n try another cdp later on

saintambrose
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gkt Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi,

The model is Oppo DV983H, which was their top of the range DVD player before the introduction of Blu-ray.

It used to be my main home theatre player until I bought the OPPO 93. Now I use this for my in-room listening (not my main rig), and I hook this to a pair of active Dynaudio Xeo 3. I do find this setup very pleasant and enjoyable but I am not the most demanding listener.

As I believe each individual has different listening preferences I am quite hesitant to comment on the sound quality, it really boils down to what you like and listen to. For me I listen to vocals the most, some spattering of classics and jazz.

I am happy to loan it to you anyway if you want to know the sound characteristic. Don't need to buy if it is not what you want, just for sharing and exchanging ideas.
gkt
gkt
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by saintambrose Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Thanks for the offer gkt, I still yet to make up my mind yet

saintambrose
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gkt Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Saintambrose, please keep in mind that your source material is equally important, if not more.

A poorly pressed CD will not give you sonic enjoyment even if your CDP is of the best quality. Some of the more forgiving hardware can make these poorly pressed CD sound okay, but when you put in a very good pressing you may find that same equipment lacking in other areas.

My opinion is to spend within your means and keep a bit extra to invest in good source material.

I am still pretty much a CD fan, and play LPs quite a bit. Not yet into streaming and computer audio, and probably won't be in the near future as I have sufficient materials to keep me occupied for a while.

Plus I still like the old fashioned way of loading a CD into a CDP or preparing an LP for the TT. More "feel to it"...... if it makes any sense.
gkt
gkt
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by saintambrose Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:48 pm

thanks gkt, been a little busy to replay

I know that the source material is another thing to consider n learn.
Maybe can you tell me how can know which source is high quality, this part is still a little confusing for me.

For player I will get a dedicated cdp as I might not be using Blu ray at the moment, I will put in around rm800 or higher if worth it.for now I will wait for any member here letting go any of theirs here.
You hav any recommendation?

saintambrose
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gkt Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Saint Ambrose, if you follow some of the other forums there would be a lot of formats available - CD, SACD and its hybrid bethrens, XRCD, LP CD, Blu Ray Audio, DVD Audio, etc. First pressings are the best, but the popular and out of print ones are pretty expensive on the secondary market. US and Japanese pressings are generally good too. There is a guy at Amcorp mall flea market that sells CDs and can give some pretty good advice. PM your contact number and I will send you his details.

I don't have any experience with a dedicated CD/SACD player, perhaps others in this forum is better placed to comment.

I went the route of the universal player because I wanted to be able to play different formats and do not have to worry about format issues. I think the only format I can't play is HDCD.... I did however invest in a good CDP, but this cannot read DVD-A or Blu Ray A (the latter is relatively new). 

If you are unsure, my offer still stands, try out the universal player first and see if you like the sound - you can use this as a transport and feed to your DAC. Then go out and audition some CDPs within your budget, and decide afterwards which way to spend.
gkt
gkt
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down