Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

KL AV Show 2016 sharing

+5
hangleng
Lamkochai
gettindirty
mfhoh
Anwar
9 posters

Go down

KL AV Show 2016 sharing Empty KL AV Show 2016 sharing

Post by Anwar Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:08 am

I am not a journalist or reviewer, just sharing my experience visiting KL AV Show 2016 on the last day (Sunday) from 10:30am until 2:00pm. I will only highlight what impressed me or what failed to impressed me. Readers have the rights to disagree with me, perhaps should post your own version of KL AV Show impression. I do hope you enjoy reading this post.

As everyone started at the lowest level right after registration, I was so eager to experience the quarter million dollar Sony VPL-VW5000ES projector. The room was not really large and some ambient light enters even though there is curtain available. I visited this room again after visited all the floors. There are no other rooms that come close to this in terms of picture quality. Since we can’t see this projector demo outside the AV Show and not everyone can afford this (including myself), coming to the KL AV Show 2016 just to see this projector is definitely worth it. Unfortunately, a few of my friends missed this.

Not all demo of 4k projectors were using 4k source.  For example, the person at JVC room told me they ordered Samsung 4k blu ray player but did not receive it on time for the show, hence 1080p upscaled to 4k.

The affordable Grandview projector screen from Canada used in the Sony’s VPL-VW5000ES room and also at level 8 (stand-mount on A/V rack as shown in picture) was good news indeed to budget-minded videophiles.

KL AV Show 2016 sharing Grandv11

One of the CMY rooms has an eye-catching turntable-like Kalysta Calypso CD transport. 
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Cd_tra11

The real turntable by CMT was in another room – Clearaudio Innovation turntable with Dynaudio Confidence C2 speakers, Karan Acoustic phono stage, and Jeff Rowland pre-power. I am not a fan of class D amp and switching power supply – I feel the system sounded digital.
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Cmy_in10KL AV Show 2016 sharing Cmy_in11

At some of the CMY rooms, the Entreq Vibb Eaters were placed on top of the speakers and some rooms using Entreq Ground Box and Cleanus. I am always skeptical with all these snake oils, especially without much credible reviews.

KL AV Show 2016 sharing Entreq11KL AV Show 2016 sharing Entreq10KL AV Show 2016 sharing Entreq12

Note: I am believer in using good isolation transformer (preferably with dedicated AC feed) like Torus to clean the AC, have good ground within the system, and with the air gap in magnetic path storing inductive energy to handle instantaneous current. I have tried passive AC power filters from Furutech and Shunyata and they can’t beat a good isolation transformer.

It was the first time I heard the Spatial open-baffle speakers. They are not that expensive and sounded pretty different from conventional boxed speakers.
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Spatia10KL AV Show 2016 sharing Spatia11KL AV Show 2016 sharing Spatia12

The Perfect Hi-Fi room was quite a disappointment. When I was there, the demo music was played so loud that the ceiling was vibrating so badly, adding unnecessary ‘sound’ to the music.
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Perfec10

Being a Focal Diablo owner, I have heard Focal Sopra N2 at Adelphi Singapore showroom, but the setup of Sopra N3 here was not impressive at all. I believe it may be the Esoteric network player and integrated amp which failed to bring the best out of the speakers, or the speakers are so brand new and not yet broken in, or combination of both. I remember in previous shows how the combination of McIntosh gears with Utopia-range speakers worked so much better (they also had speakers not broken-in problem), but the Malaysia and Singapore distributors of Focal have changed recently.
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Sopra_10

AV Designs had good setups for both A/V and 2-channel. I was impressed with their 2-channel setup. It is not overly expensive but the PMC Twenty5.24 driven by Bryston electronics with Torus AVR (branded as Bryston) sounded high resolution with good imaging and pretty impressive bass, and good selection of demo music.
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Av_des10

I have no chance to do serious listening at the big room with Kronos turntable as the sweet-spot seat was taken, so I listen while standing. I was checking what speakers they use but there is no information about the brand and model of the speakers. After listening for some time, I feel the limitations of the system are the speakers – it could have sounded better with different speakers.
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Kronos11KL AV Show 2016 sharing Kronos10KL AV Show 2016 sharing Kronos12KL AV Show 2016 sharing Kronos13KL AV Show 2016 sharing Kronos14

Being a TW Acoustic Raven Two owner, I ensure I did not miss My HiFi Shop room. The Raven AC with Black Night 3-motor looks a lot better than 3 separate motor assemblies. Unfortunately, I don’t see TW Acoustic 10.5 tonearm but they are using Triplanar instead. Having both tonearms, TW 10.5 is better and higher resolution than Triplanar.
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Tw_aco12
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Tw_aco10KL AV Show 2016 sharing Tw_aco11

There are quite a number of rooms which have turntables (some of them spinning empty) but digital sources were used instead. I am not sure why. To me, it was a waste.
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Dummy_10KL AV Show 2016 sharing Dummy_11KL AV Show 2016 sharing Dummy_12KL AV Show 2016 sharing Dummy_13

Pictures of other rooms I went in to snap pictures only.
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Vpi_110KL AV Show 2016 sharing Vpi_210
KL AV Show 2016 sharing Pictur12KL AV Show 2016 sharing Pictur14KL AV Show 2016 sharing Pictur11KL AV Show 2016 sharing Pictur15KL AV Show 2016 sharing Pictur13KL AV Show 2016 sharing Pictur10KL AV Show 2016 sharing Pictur16KL AV Show 2016 sharing Pictur19KL AV Show 2016 sharing Pictur18

Note: pictures were taken with Canon EOS 5D Mk3, 24-105 f/4L lens, and 580EX flash, then sized down to 1/64 (original 5760 x 3840 images divided by 8 horizontally and vertically) for posting here.

Last edited by Anwar on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:31 pm; edited 12 times in total
Anwar
Anwar
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2011-01-08

Character sheet
Source(s): AAMS+, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, TW Raven Two + TW 10.5 with Benz LP-S + Triplanar VII with Quintet Black, Audio Research REF Phono 2SE
Amplification: Bent Audio silver slagleformer preamp, Bryston 10B-SUB, McIntosh MC452 for front, MC303 for center and rear
Speakers: Focal Diablo Utopia III for LCR, Focal IW 1002 Be for rear, 2 x JL Audio Fathom f113 subs

Back to top Go down

KL AV Show 2016 sharing Empty Re: KL AV Show 2016 sharing

Post by mfhoh Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Great pics. Thanks for sharing Anwar.

mfhoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by gettindirty Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks for sharing :-)

gettindirty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2009-05-30

Character sheet
Source(s): Denon DCD-1600NE, Bluesound Node, Shanling M8 DAP
Amplification: Roksan Blak , Sound Artists SA-200IA, Yulong D200, Aune X8, Audioquest Dragonfly Red
Speakers: Proac D2R, Sonus Faber Lumina, Q Acoustics Concept 20, Q Acoustics M20, 64 Audio A12T, Fearless Audio S8F

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:24 pm

nice report
same opinion with you.
the proac with prima luna sounds impressive and the bass is astonishing for such a small speakers

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): bryston bdp2, bryston dac, reimyo dac, Dps Turntable tonearm and benzmicro rubyz
Amplification: gryphon diable 300, genesis phono amp, diy tube amp
Speakers: marten django xl & audiophysic virgo

Back to top Go down

Post by hangleng Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the klav 2016 review. Good job Dr. Anwar.

hangleng
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by choontoy Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:28 pm

Nice photos taken Anwar.

choontoy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:59 am

Excellent overview of the show.

KL AV Show 2016 sharing Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by apophoto Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:56 pm

The organising team did a fair job in getting the event this year to reflect the same level of the preceding year. Looking at the numerous exhibits & demo gear available for hands-on session, it was a big logistic task to say the least. The stalls selling a wide range of audiophile CDs & vinyls add spice to the occasion notwithstanding the ringgit is truly stretched at present time. All in all, a good job done. Thanks to all the participating members & supporting staffs for all the time & efforts. And your summarised coverage too.

apophoto

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Thank you Anwar. Great overview of the show, especially to those whom were not able to visit. It is not easy to setup a system, in such short time, to produce good sound. The room size, glass windows and power supply, to name a few, don't do justice to the setup.
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers: Genelec

Back to top Go down