Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Do we need speaker that can support more than 20Khz?

5 posters

Go down

Do we need speaker that can support more than 20Khz? Empty Do we need speaker that can support more than 20Khz?

Post by eugenecctan Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi all sifus,

Do we need speakers that can support more than 20Khz? If yes then why?
Most of the highend speakers can output more than 20Khz, some even can support up to 100Khz. Just wondering what is the purpose of getting a speaker with the frequency ranges that much higher than human can hear.. (20hz -> 20Khz).

Thanks.

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Do we need speaker that can support more than 20Khz? Empty Re: Do we need speaker that can support more than 20Khz?

Post by tycham Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:26 pm

You can find some of the answers here: http//www.hifi4sale.net/equipment-discussions-f6/super-tweeters-t1298.htm
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Do we need speaker that can support more than 20Khz? Empty Re: Do we need speaker that can support more than 20Khz?

Post by eugenecctan Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks tycham,

So we will need an AVR that can output more than 20Khz frequency, right?
I meant anything of this related to AVR?

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:42 pm

speakers with frequency response exceeding 20kHz is actually a new development. old speakers were mostly rated up to 2okHz.

Modern speakers go up to 25kHz and beyond. this is becos they are designed for the requirements of new formats such as sacd and dvd-a which sadly never really took off. unlike cd, which limits response to 22.05kHz and the cd player which cuts off above 20kHz, the sacd and dvd-a goes up to, if i am not wrong, 50 khz.

it is debatable as to whether there is any difference in sound quality. people who have heard sacd say there is even though the human ear cannot hear beyond 20kHz.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:50 pm

I think it's the harmonics produced that make for the differences. Richer harmonics would provide the perception of 'nicer sound'.......'better sound'?...I don't know.....it may be a personal preference.

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:55 pm

i hv heard an sacd set-up on demo and i thought it sounded richer and fuller overall than the cd system even though the high frequencies sounded the same.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Landy Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm not so sure if speakers need to go beyond 20Khz. Before CDs came along and capped audio reproduction to 20hz-20Khz, a good vinyl setup could probably go beyond 20Khz right? And nobody complained about their speakers being limited to 20Khz then. Why now?

It's probably the new speaker designs with better crossovers and components and such that are allowing SACD to reveal more of it's sonic goodies at the human audiable spectrum rather than humans actually hearing beyond 20Hkz.
Landy
Landy
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down