Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

The 1st power cord to change

+6
dylan
123_rocketman
hughesths
llsaw
mugenfoo
skydna
10 posters

Go down

The 1st power cord to change Empty The 1st power cord to change

Post by skydna Fri May 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi all sifu,
i am using a DAC and an integrated amplifier with china made power conditioner, which power cord has the highest priority to upgrade?
1. DAC
2. Amplifier
3. Power Conditioner
currently all my power cord are computer power cord(but special picked), hope get some sifu input which power cord to go 1st~

And as i am rental a room outside, changing the power socket seems impossible, i think that to go power cord with UK plug from wall socket, then all US plug for equipment but this seems has inverse Live problem~
is it ok i just inverse the Live cable on the power cord from wall plug?
Thanks~ hope u can understand my bad English ^^
skydna
skydna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Character sheet
Source(s): Naim
Amplification: Naim
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

The 1st power cord to change Empty Re: The 1st power cord to change

Post by mugenfoo Sat May 29, 2010 12:04 am

Welcome from Lowyat.net ....

Here's the place for serious hi-fi freaks and nut-heads compared to the "LYN Audiophile" section.

Have you tried NOT using the power conditioner? Alot of "power conditioners" tend to kill the dynamics and soundstaging of the system. Unless you're serious enough to get something like a big badass Richard Grey or a PurePower gear. But this is just a suggestion only. Try and see. If it sounds worse without the China-made power conditioner, then by all means stick with it. Smile

And since you're renting a room, better not to bother with US plugs for now. Just use a power cord with good UK plugs like those big sturdy MK stuff. if u got to convert from UK to US ... you're actually adding more unnecessary links in the AC line. Why do this ?

Back to power cords, buy a good power cord, and try using it on the DAC vs. the Amp separately. Which do you hear more sonic improvement? If more on the DAC, then use for DAC section. If more on the Amp, then use for Amp section.

But don't be surprised in case you don't hear any diff either way. In this case, hope you've just "borrowed" the cable and not bought it outright. That way you won't have wasted $$$ buying something u can't hear any difference!

In some systems, fancy power cords make a big difference but on some other systems, putting fancy power cords don't do jack. Whenever possible, try before buying.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Sat May 29, 2010 12:06 am

Mugen Bro's said it all.. The 1st power cord to change Icon_smile I do find from my own personal experience that the first power cable upgrade works more with source ie. dac or cd player. Took quite some time to find a power cable for my amp that doesn't soften the leading edge dynamics dulling the music..

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Post by hughesths Sat May 29, 2010 12:45 am

Hi llsaw,

Have you tried PS Audio ac cords even the cheaper one, which may solve your problem while maintaining body and weight without lean sounding.
However, if you are still using Rega cd player, I think changing cable wouldn't greatly help, as Rega cdp is relatively quite warm in nature.

hughesths
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Sat May 29, 2010 11:23 am

Guys,

What do you think of this argument (HERESY LAPAN)? (Everytime I type 8, the emoticon appears, sigh...)

http://www.lampizator.eu/HERESY/heresy.html

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Sat May 29, 2010 11:28 am

All sifus,

What does he mean by TRAFO in the article of above link?

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by skydna Sat May 29, 2010 12:55 pm

mugenfoo wrote:Welcome from Lowyat.net ....

Here's the place for serious hi-fi freaks and nut-heads compared to the "LYN Audiophile" section.

Have you tried NOT using the power conditioner? Alot of "power conditioners" tend to kill the dynamics and soundstaging of the system. Unless you're serious enough to get something like a big badass Richard Grey or a PurePower gear. But this is just a suggestion only. Try and see. If it sounds worse without the China-made power conditioner, then by all means stick with it. Smile

And since you're renting a room, better not to bother with US plugs for now. Just use a power cord with good UK plugs like those big sturdy MK stuff. if u got to convert from UK to US ... you're actually adding more unnecessary links in the AC line. Why do this ?

Back to power cords, buy a good power cord, and try using it on the DAC vs. the Amp separately. Which do you hear more sonic improvement? If more on the DAC, then use for DAC section. If more on the Amp, then use for Amp section.

But don't be surprised in case you don't hear any diff either way. In this case, hope you've just "borrowed" the cable and not bought it outright. That way you won't have wasted $$$ buying something u can't hear any difference!

In some systems, fancy power cords make a big difference but on some other systems, putting fancy power cords don't do jack. Whenever possible, try before buying.

The china power conditioner i found really kill a bit of dynamic but improve on noise floor and i found better "dynamic" not mean better music else you will see me using a Dynaudio with "monster" power amplifier.
I do think that it is because of extra "computer power cord" from wall plug to power conditioner, may be a better power cord help to get back the lost dynamic.
Furthermore, the reason i need a power conditioner is i will ON my Naim most of the time and i am not staying at home 24 hour, so the power conditioner can act as another protection for my system, but why not get a belkin? just it cant change the power cord so i lost an option to fine tune my system.

I do think that u can give me an analysis or experience which power cord to upgrade, for example
"source get most improve according to my past experience, XXX power cord suitable or what kind of power cord use on which type of equipment, what the characteristic of XXX brand/type of power cord"
"cure the source 1st, change the power cord from wall plug to power conditioner 1st"
if i had a chance to borrow and try on my system i think you would not had a chance to see this discussion here.

The reason i think to change to US plug still the most basic problem, there is a fuse on UK plug which how good your power cord is still pass through the cheapo fuse, and i know the important of fuse in UK plug to protect cables melt by overload but may be there is a UK plug with fuse from wall socket will be ok.
I can clearly listen the sound with difference power cord as i try get all the power cord i had and try 1 by 1 to get the best power cord for the equipment.
Thanks~
skydna
skydna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Character sheet
Source(s): Naim
Amplification: Naim
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Sat May 29, 2010 12:58 pm

hughesths wrote:Hi llsaw,

Have you tried PS Audio ac cords even the cheaper one, which may solve your problem while maintaining body and weight without lean sounding.
However, if you are still using Rega cd player, I think changing cable wouldn't greatly help, as Rega cdp is relatively quite warm in nature.

The softening of leading edge dynamics does not mean lean sound or less body and weight. I'm no longer using the Rega Saturn but a Siltech SPX-20 works wonders to it and also A Van den Hul Mainserver

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat May 29, 2010 1:06 pm

skydna wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:Welcome from Lowyat.net ....

The china power conditioner i found really kill a bit of dynamic but improve on noise floor and i found better "dynamic" not mean better music else you will see me using a Dynaudio with "monster" power amplifier.
I do think that it is because of extra "computer power cord" from wall plug to power conditioner, may be a better power cord help to get back the lost dynamic.
Furthermore, the reason i need a power conditioner is i will ON my Naim most of the time and i am not staying at home 24 hour, so the power conditioner can act as another protection for my system, but why not get a belkin? just it cant change the power cord so i lost an option to fine tune my system.

I do think that u can give me an analysis or experience which power cord to upgrade, for example
"source get most improve according to my past experience, XXX power cord suitable or what kind of power cord use on which type of equipment, what the characteristic of XXX brand/type of power cord"
"cure the source 1st, change the power cord from wall plug to power conditioner 1st"
if i had a chance to borrow and try on my system i think you would not had a chance to see this discussion here.

The reason i think to change to US plug still the most basic problem, there is a fuse on UK plug which how good your power cord is still pass through the cheapo fuse, and i know the important of fuse in UK plug to protect cables melt by overload but may be there is a UK plug with fuse from wall socket will be ok.
I can clearly listen the sound with difference power cord as i try get all the power cord i had and try 1 by 1 to get the best power cord for the equipment.
Thanks~

looks like u are much more expert than alot of us here already re. power cords and stuff.... The 1st power cord to change Icon_cool

Have a nice day!
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by dylan Sat May 29, 2010 1:34 pm

btw, how power conditioner kill the dynamic?? I tot it provide a steady/stable power to equipment, and the equipment can perform with watever characteristic it designed too... enlighten me pls.

dylan
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat May 29, 2010 2:06 pm

a Japanese Zen master during the Meiji era, received a university
professor who came to inquire about Zen.

The Zen master served tea. He poured his visitor’s cup full, and then kept on
pouring.
The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could
restrain himself. “It is overfull. No more will go in!
The Zen master replied: "You are full of your own opinions and
speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?
"

Wink
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Sat May 29, 2010 3:25 pm

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Sat May 29, 2010 5:36 pm

sflam wrote:

did some googling - TRAFO means transformer.
Thanks.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sat May 29, 2010 9:33 pm

mugenfoo wrote:a Japanese Zen master during the Meiji era, received a university

pouring.
"

Wink

Twisted Evil
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sun May 30, 2010 11:30 am

mugenfoo wrote:a Japanese Zen master during the Meiji era, received a university

pouring.
"

Wink
Reminds me of the scene in Red Cliff where Lin Chiling pouring the tea into Cao Cao's cup.. hahahahahahaha... Razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by dylan Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:41 am

back to power, can i use power stablelizer for computer to my system?

dylan
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by swing123 Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:18 am

car o scope wrote:

pouring.
"

Wink
Reminds me of the scene in Red Cliff where Lin Chiling pouring the tea into Cao Cao's cup.. hahahahahahaha... Razz

IIRC, similar conversation also appear in the movie "2012" The 1st power cord to change Icon_lol

swing123
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down