Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Still On 1st Projector Bulb After 6 Years - Change Bulb Or Upgrade Projector

4 posters

Go down

Still On 1st Projector Bulb After 6 Years - Change Bulb Or Upgrade Projector Empty Still On 1st Projector Bulb After 6 Years - Change Bulb Or Upgrade Projector

Post by ryder Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:50 pm

I know I may seem a little pathetic but I don't really watch too much movies on the big screen. I bought a Hitachi PJ-TX100 in 2005 and believe or not the bulb has not been replaced until today, and there are approximately 800 hours left on it. The projector is considered as ancient by today's standards but the picture quality satisfies my needs as most of the watching material is in DVDs.

I really want to finish up the hours as quickly as possible, and I expect that to happen by next year the latest(hopefully). My question is, is it more sensible to change the bulb or upgrade to another projector. Not too sure if the bulb is still in production. If not the projector will go to the garbage bin.

I've been doing a bit of reading on the AVS forum, and there was this interesting thread about obsolete high end 720p projectors vs latest cheap 1080p projectors. Apparently receptions were mixed. The better 720p projectors can still match the 1080p equivalents with DVDs. It's only with high-definition blu-rays that 1080p holds the advantage.

Back to my question, it is still worthwhile to change the bulb of the TX-100 and keep it for another few more years? Man I am sure on the track to creating a Guiness world of record if I manage to hang on to the projector for a decade with the 2nd bulb. Hopefully the thing blows up in flames of fire so I won't need to crack my head too much.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Still On 1st Projector Bulb After 6 Years - Change Bulb Or Upgrade Projector Empty Re: Still On 1st Projector Bulb After 6 Years - Change Bulb Or Upgrade Projector

Post by ERN2 Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:54 am

bro ryder
unfortunately (although you are fortunate to hold on) you are not the record holder, my friend has been using his projector (Hitachi also but not sure abour the model, it is SD not 720p) for the past 12 years, and still using it.

IMO, it depends on your source. If your source is blu-ray, then you might considre thr HD projector. But if you still plan want to stick to DVD then why upgrade since you sttill can use the existing one.

Comparing changing the bult or buying a new full HD projector, i would chose the full HD projector on my next upgrade. I believe the replacement bult (if you still can find one) is going to cost half (or almost) of the new entry level full HD projector. eg HD20 or vivitek.

So if I were you, I willl continue use the projector until it give up, or I give up with the PQ.

ERN2

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Still On 1st Projector Bulb After 6 Years - Change Bulb Or Upgrade Projector Empty Re: Still On 1st Projector Bulb After 6 Years - Change Bulb Or Upgrade Projector

Post by ryder Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 am

ERN2, thanks for the response. I didn't think anyone would reply to my thread. At least there's someone who is doing "better" than me. The projector in your friend's system must have some sentimental value by now having survived for 12 years. In this era of technology most projectors will go obsolete in 2-3 years although HD technology may have reached a saturation point by now(although 1560p or higher resolution projectors may replace current 1080p in the near future).

Yes, it's scary to think about the cost of replacing the bulb. I guess the bulb for the particular model that I own is still available, and it's a matter of bringing myself to replace it due to the high cost. Will decide when the time comes.

Most likely I'll stick to good old DVDs for the time being due to the high cost of blu-rays.

Cheers.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by soonthas Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:21 am

Hi ryder,

I'm facing the same issue of whether replacing a new bulb in the future once bulb worn off or buying a new projector.
I think I will buy a new projector in the future, as replacing a new bulb for the existing won't guarantee another long life span again which mainly depends on how well the new bulb is installed and other projector components are aging as well.
regards.

soonthas
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:34 am

Without a doubt you should upgrade the projector. I have compared a 2 year old HD Ready projector and my 1 year old Full HD projector (both similar price range). Even with mkv files that are about 4GB to 8GB in size (ie. quality between DVD and Bluray), the difference is really very huge.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi Soonthas, I guess you are right that replacing the projector is more practical than changing the bulb. Will also consider a big screen plasma as an alternative.

Hifikrazy, is the source DVD or blu-ray when the comparison was made? The difference between 720p and 1080p will be huge if using blu-rays. However, it was reported that the difference will be insignificant and can go either way if it's DVDs ie. good 720p projectors beating the entry level 1080p projectors. Anyway as mentioned by Soonthas the latest HD projectors are the way to go in this century. When it is time to upgrade my projector I reckon 1560p ones with higher contrast ratio may have rolled out.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Comparison was done using DVD, Bluray as well as mkv files that are in between DVD and Bluray in terms of picture quality. You are right, less difference when using DVD. It's the same effect as playing Astro (not the Byond channels) through a Full HD TV - It tends to look worse than on a HD Ready TV.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down