Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

What is a good CD Player to buy in the RM8K region?

+9
chenht
bimmerman
mugenfoo
sflam
chua55
lkm
tin
hifikaki
mthoi
13 posters

Go down

What is a good CD Player to buy in the RM8K region? Empty What is a good CD Player to buy in the RM8K region?

Post by mthoi Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:31 am

I have a Meridian 506.16 for over 10 years feeding a Quad34/606. The Meridian is a good player but is showing its age agains some of the newer players in the market. My music are mostly classical, jazz and vocals.

Any suggestions for a replacement CDP that can perform the job?

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SAKI Pearl, Michell Gyro, Garrard 401, Lenco L75, Technics SL1200II
Amplification: c3g/F2a + C3m/300b PP biamp, 26 Preamp, 76 Preamp + 2A3/845, c3o/300b, Quad 34/606
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5, Altec A7 288-8G/1505B VOTT + JBL 2404H, Tyler Acoustics + Altec 288/Jabo Horns

Back to top Go down

What is a good CD Player to buy in the RM8K region? Empty Re: What is a good CD Player to buy in the RM8K region?

Post by hifikaki Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:51 am

try the marantz sa11, good mid range and very nice vocal. branch new here kl RM11k but if you dont mind, Singapore is cheaper SGD3400(RM8k).
one of the very best value for money.

hifikaki
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

What is a good CD Player to buy in the RM8K region? Empty Re: What is a good CD Player to buy in the RM8K region?

Post by tin Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:14 pm

mTHOOI,

There are m,any ways to go about it,each has its advantages.

1.Vacuum state Uberclock;attached to your Meridian I believe will give you the most improvement.Cost about 6k and Octave audio does a wonderful job.

2.You could also buy one of those seperate DACs like Grace audio,Benchmark etc...in the price range it is really hard top bettered the grace audio DACs.You can keep the Meridian and use it as a dedicated transport aor get a cheap DVD player from Philkips as transport.

3.If you need to get a single box CDP it is hard to beat Audio Aero prima for around 6 k.It is almost 90%as good as the EAR yoshino player.I think it cost around 6k and when wqhen it comes to small jazz 4ensemble ,you get a very intimate players.The Marants S11 isn't bad ,and you have a choice of SACD p[layback too,but on redbook CD not quite as musical as the Audio Aero.

tin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by lkm Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:03 pm

mthoi,

I have read that CD players are very mature technologies in that present advancements are marginal. I did consider a Marantz SACD model previously but settled for a Rega Apollo and when I compared the Rega with the Quad CDP (an 80's model), the difference was not much. In my view, I would rather upgrade the speakers first and live with a budget CD player until I have funds for a better CD player and in my view, a budget of RM2 - 3k should be good enough.

lkm

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:32 pm

Have you heard the sound system with Marantz CD67 (or CD63 or KI) sound damn cool at Octave. Never be surprise with old marantz with the upgrade and it fits the sound character you mention. I have recently modded a unit of cdp costs more than 3k and it sound cool too.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:58 pm

my view: the newer marantz cd players sound bright. the upper-mids and highs are emphasised which make the bass seem recessed and light.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Gosh .... its so hard to buy a "good" CD player these days.

Honestly, Rm8K is a very "neither here nor there" situation.

As someone above said, a Rega Apollo doesnt need to cost an arm/leg and would sound pretty decent thanks to tech advances. At the extreme spectrum, would be a contemporary Wadia in the RM20~30K regions.

my advice would be for you to lug your Meridian and see how will it compared against the modern comtemporaries at any of CMY's or some other boutique hi-fi showrooms (CMY just as an example coz there's a wider range of brands to try out) . I'm sure they'd be happy to oblidge.

I strongly recommend you do this because you would then know for sure how "modern" players sound , and then you can decide for sure if you prefer the modern "today" sound or your older Meridian. Afterall, a Meridian is no pushover and should hold its own water very well.

If you want abit more "zest" and "liveliness" . May i be so bold to suggest that you look into your amp combo first.

The following is just IMO:

Much as there are a great deal of Quad followers out there, the 34/606 really puts me to sleep often times. To me, it is an excellent lullaby machine. Nice soft soothing sound but the total opposite of a Naim monster (which i am neither a fan of also).
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:10 pm

Cary audio makes excellent valve CD players with upsampling capabilities. I'm using a vintage Cary CD300 myself which i recently upgraded to Telefunken valves. I am totally happy with the sound and don't feel a need to upgrade any further.

I tell myself the day for me to upgrade will come only when I can afford to replace it with a Wadia.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by chenht Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:07 am

Sorry mthoi to ride on your thread.

I am think of a Bryston BCD-1 and wonder any forum members here would provide any advise or comment.

Cheers,

Last edited by chenht on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
chenht
chenht
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Cary Audio
Amplification: Eletrocompaniet
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:17 am

sorry to interrupt this thread...how about upgrade from cd player to Turntable...i think even upgrade the cd player u cannot feallll the different much..upgrade cd player u only can feal the different character from different player...maybe more pedas..less masin or else..others still the same..

p/s---sorry guys,just my litle idea
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:26 pm

get a good transport, philips mechanism based perhaps?
play around with dac, buffer is more interesting i guess, imo
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:33 pm

dcs elgar
audio alchemy
audionote zero
cambridge magic
musical fid
beresford
cal audiolab
mocha & zero ermm..
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Rega Saturn??
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by junchoon Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:31 am

junchoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Character sheet
Source(s): SCD-XA5400ES
Amplification: AV7005 with XPA-5
Speakers: Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:34 am

azri wrote:dcs elgar
audio alchemy
audionote zero
cambridge magic
musical fid
beresford
cal audiolab
mocha & zero ermm..

Audio Alchemy & Cal Audio Labs have gone the way of the dodo already.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down