Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Cambridge Audio DACMagic Modification

+10
carz
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
microkernel
dixchen
adrian4454
kwwong
DrWho
sph
Wikin
puiyk1973
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cambridge Audio DACMagic Modification - Page 2 Empty Re: Cambridge Audio DACMagic Modification

Post by Wikin Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:14 am

Pui, I would recommend the next thing to perform is to add a valve output stage directly after the transformer stage. Right now, the DAC chip drives the transformer directly, and the transformer is connected to your integrated amp's volume control which will cut out some details. Best to have some booster after the Lundahl. I notice that although the DAC chip in the Cambridge is a highly reputable one, it's drive factor still lacks a bit if compared to some of the older good chips like AKM4393 AKM4396 which is japanese stuffs.

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
Source(s): PC Audio
Amplification: Tri Amping Active
Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Cambridge Audio DACMagic Modification - Page 2 Empty Re: Cambridge Audio DACMagic Modification

Post by puiyk1973 Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Is the tube buffer serve the same purpose?

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Character sheet
Source(s): AMR cd-777
Amplification: Leben RS100-u and CS1000P
Speakers: ProAc D28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 pm

You can try a tube buffer and see - there are plenty of them from china nowadays.

Personally I like the sound of a simple low gain preamplifier stage pumping maximum current to the anode using a constant current source.

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 am

It is never ending.......as for now, i should stop thinking crazy stuff... enjoy the present gear i have.......thank you wikin.

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:06 pm

After 3 weeks with slight rectification on the dac by wikin, I could not be happier to say that it is well worth the money spend on this mod, among my hifi kaki, we do AB comparison with modded marantz 63ki, cambridge produce the sweetness vocal, bass is more weight and well extended, however, ki is more detail sounding and slightly brighter sounding. Those cambridge owner who r into vocal and jazz music may consider this mod, after perhaps we can share our joyful with this little chap.

Last but not least, thank wikin again for the wonderful job.

Last edited by puiyk1973 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Wilkin,
Congratulations for a job well done. I also have a DacMagic but it is in a drawer awaiting to be called for service! Very Happy
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers: Genelec

Back to top Go down

Post by hi5papa Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:09 pm

wow so much of hardwork,before a fruitation. The cheapest and best tweak may be moving the powersupply onboard away into another box as suggested.lessen the load ...blossom result.

i read some DAC run on battery pack ,more clean DC.sunny

hi5papa
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:42 pm

puiyk1973 wrote:After 3 weeks with slight rectification on the dac by wikin, I could not be happier to say that it is well worth the money spend on this mod, among my hifi kaki, we do AB comparison with modded marantz 63ki, cambridge produce the sweetness vocal, bass is more weight and well extended, however, ki is more detail sounding and slightly brighter sounding. Those cambridge owner who r into vocal and jazz music may consider this mod, after perhaps we can share our joyful with this little chap.

Last but not least, thank wikin again for the wonderful job.

You are very welcome Very Happy
Just IMO, the more detailed/ brighter sounding from the modified Marantz may be the sound of induced distortion. I've heard a KI highly modded with burson audio modules and power supplies, and they sound highly organic; totally not bright at all.

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:44 pm

DrWho wrote:Wilkin,
Congratulations for a job well done. I also have a DacMagic but it is in a drawer awaiting to be called for service! Very Happy

Cheers Dr.Who.
I can understand why it's in the drawer Smile

Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:50 pm

hi5papa wrote:wow so much of hardwork,before a fruitation. The cheapest and best tweak may be moving the powersupply onboard away into another box as suggested.lessen the load ...blossom result.

i read some DAC run on battery pack ,more clean DC.sunny

Yes these are generally the correct engineering work to perform on the DAC.

Still, at the end of the day, we have to rely on the ears to tell if the mods have been correctly implemented to balance out the sound.

For e.g. the battery mod may give good clean sound but because of some DAC chip's stock sound is gentle and weak like the TDA1545 non oversampling, putting batteries may sometimes worsen the sound if the output stage is just resistor and cap coupled. Totally no power and grunt. Highs are missing most of the information.

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:24 pm

I acquired an old pioneer pds 904 cd player, it is quite a good sounding cd player considering its tech at then 10+ yr ago, vocal is more fatter and rough, considerable bass slam, high is smooth, transport mechanism is unique.

Partnering with my Cambridge, it is totally different sounding, the only downside is that connection is limited to optical.

Now i have one machine with two characteristic sounding.... not bad.

Once i gather enough $, will do next mod on pioneer...crazy.... Exclamation

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi puiyk1973,

You may want to try replacing the Toslink transmitter in the old pioneer CD player.. if you happen to find out the model of transmitter it is using.~

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:12 pm

adrian4454 wrote:Hi puiyk1973,

You may want to try replacing the Toslink transmitter in the old pioneer CD player.. if you happen to find out the model of transmitter it is using.~
Hi Adrian do u know the model? Or alternatively is to tap the signal for mod it to coaxial output. I read quite a number of resource in net modding to coaxial. Interesting.

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi bro,

I can't recommend coaxial enough; toslink sounds yucky to me.

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:17 am

Hi pui,

Neither do I know how to do the conversion; but it is often of the same circuit from the decoder chip, a cap or 2, plus pulse transformer might be needed. You may ask the resident sifu Wikin on this.. he might able to do that for u.. ~

Dont discount off Toslink too soon; pound for pound.. it still the best for the money. Well at least in my case.. There are a lot of highly tweaked digital RCA out there. But 1 look at the cost, u rather like to spend the money somewhere else.

Perhap u can get Wikin to make the BNC instead, but again as much as it is a technical improvement; it doesnt always guarantee good music reproduction~ final tweak always rely on the ear~

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:43 am

adrian4454,

Did the toslink transmitter upgrade make a lot of sonic difference ? Can you describe the difference ? The jitter specs i remember for the replacement transmitter is much lower than the original.

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:14 am

A well implemented Toslink, ie using multi strand glass cable as opposed to fibre cable, could sound as good as a coaxial. It could even better the coaxial if the coaxial is not terminated correctly. To me the digital cable is the most important cable in a system. Get it right the system would start singing Smile
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:00 pm

adrian4454 wrote:Hi pui,

Neither do I know how to do the conversion; but it is often of the same circuit from the decoder chip, a cap or 2, plus pulse transformer might be needed. You may ask the resident sifu Wikin on this.. he might able to do that for u.. ~

Dont discount off Toslink too soon; pound for pound.. it still the best for the money. Well at least in my case.. There are a lot of highly tweaked digital RCA out there. But 1 look at the cost, u rather like to spend the money somewhere else.

Perhap u can get Wikin to make the BNC instead, but again as much as it is a technical improvement; it doesnt always guarantee good music reproduction~ final tweak always rely on the ear~

Both coaxial and optical have its own sound characteristics, one may like one to the other, so u c is all down to personal liking and taste. For me, i am exploring the potential of both optical and coaxial since all the while i be using only coaxial. Glass optic cable has gained much popularity among hifi fan recently, and i m curious too, hence just order a glass optic cable (silflex brand, reasonable price) to try.

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Carz,

The improvement is minimal.. It seems to show slightly more details... but it was rather hard to assess properly as my setup was still new and wasn't familiar with the sound. Neither was I mad enough to switch back and fore between transmitter(habis la my CDP punya PCB)...

But it does give me a peace of mind(temporary cure to itchy ass syndrome) knowing that new transmitter is of better spec and it's new!. Like changing an exhausted headlight that remain on for 10 years!

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:16 pm

adrian4454 wrote:Hi puiyk1973,

Hi Adrian

Just found the model of transmitter for pioneer pds 904, it is Toshiba TOTX178. Any idea where to buy the replacement? or any better spec for substitution. TQ

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi PUi,

Here is the link, http://my.element14.com/toshiba/totx177l/transmitter-fibre-optic/dp/1225772

try to search around in it website as well. There are few Toshiba model. Before you buy, u better get the spec sheet on your Toshiba TOTX178. IT should be available in the WWW. Compare with the potential units being offered in element 14. When the solder lead and it functions are same, it should be able to work. I bet u see improved performance on the spec sheet of the latest version in Element 14. U can register as a user and purchase from their webite.

Now, once you did this crazy thing; pls report back on the findings ok! At least, it may help me to prove I am not hearing voicing in my mind ..haha.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:56 pm

adrian4454 wrote:Hi pui,

Hi Bro,

There are many ways to skin a cat that's for sure in hi-fi; and the only way to assess which method skins the cat the best is to experience it. Every method of sending digital information has it's pros and cons. Toslink provides the best form of noise isolation. Coaxial gives better square wave but if the source has ground loops then that's a headache. BNC is more ideal to reduce digital bounce but the connector is more unique and not flexible with many equipments.

As for me my final solution that I came to, is running a 12feet digital cable terminated with BNC on both sides. Works for me Smile

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:59 pm

DrWho wrote:A well implemented Toslink, ie using multi strand glass cable as opposed to fibre cable, could sound as good as a coaxial. It could even better the coaxial if the coaxial is not terminated correctly. To me the digital cable is the most important cable in a system. Get it right the system would start singing Smile

Hi DrWho,

From your statement I presume you are now using glass toslink right? Is there a particular brand of glass toslink that was a breathrough? Were there other methods that was done to improve this form of interface?

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Wikin wrote:
DrWho wrote:A well implemented Toslink, ie using multi strand glass cable as opposed to fibre cable, could sound as good as a coaxial. It could even better the coaxial if the coaxial is not terminated correctly. To me the digital cable is the most important cable in a system. Get it right the system would start singing Smile

Hi DrWho,

From your statement I presume you are now using glass toslink right? Is there a particular brandB of glass toslink that was a breathrough? Were there other methods that was done to improve this form of interface?

cheers.

I did experiment with multi strand glass optical cables and found them to be more superior to the coaxial cable in my HT system. I am currently using a 20 feet 200+ strands optical cable from my AV setup to my HiFi setup. I use this when viewing concert videos. This 20 feet optical is also better than the similar length coaxial cable, but terminated with RCA plugs. Because of the special length, I can't find the brand on the cable but if you are serious to know the brand, I would have to do some digging and will pass you the info later. As you know BNC plugs and sockets come in 50 or 75 ohms and getting the right one makes the different.
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:42 am

adrian4454 wrote:Hi PUi,

Here is the link, http://my.element14.com/toshiba/totx177l/transmitter-fibre-optic/dp/1225772

try to search around in it website as well. There are few Toshiba model. Before you buy, u better get the spec sheet on your Toshiba TOTX178. IT should be available in the WWW. Compare with the potential units being offered in element 14. When the solder lead and it functions are same, it should be able to work. I bet u see improved performance on the spec sheet of the latest version in Element 14. U can register as a user and purchase from their webite.

Now, once you did this crazy thing; pls report back on the findings ok! At least, it may help me to prove I am not hearing voicing in my mind ..haha.

Hi Adrian,

Thank for the website, but there do not offer totx178, only totx177L, toxt178 transmission rate of 6mb/s, where 177 is 15mb/s, is this how to compare the two transmitter, any other date need to take into consideration? i m not a tech man, pls do help, thanks

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi Pui,

Yes, you need to take some risks here.. of course the original has gone EOL for sure la. Look for the Protocol compliance of ur ori and the new one most important of all they both look physically same externally. And function of each solder lead carry the same function. Mine, I've changed to a current transmitter of the same brand, but new version. And it work wihtout a glitch. Search this forum.. I did wrote my rubbish over this little DIY I did.

It should work without any problem. Certainly the newer version transmitter has a better performance rate. No doubt about it. Don't just compare to the 1 I provided u link, there are quite a few of slight different version on offer. If it doesnt work, just solder back the ori one la..

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:06 pm

adrian4454 wrote:Hi Pui,

Yes, you need to take some risks here.. of course the original has gone EOL for sure la. Look for the Protocol compliance of ur ori and the new one most important of all they both look physically same externally. And function of each solder lead carry the same function. Mine, I've changed to a current transmitter of the same brand, but new version. And it work wihtout a glitch. Search this forum.. I did wrote my rubbish over this little DIY I did.

It should work without any problem. Certainly the newer version transmitter has a better performance rate. No doubt about it. Don't just compare to the 1 I provided u link, there are quite a few of slight different version on offer. If it doesnt work, just solder back the ori one la..

Hi Adrian, thank you very much. Put my order for totx177L, hope it work.

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Yah do report back on your findings. Something u need to watch out, as you may screw back the transmitter to the side panel, pls hold the transmitter firmly, u need to apply pressure to the screw, as the transmitter screw hole doesnt has screw thread.

Also, try not to over heat the solder joint.~

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by david&david Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:23 pm

There are many ways to skin a cat that's for sure in hi-fi; and the only
way to assess which method skins the cat the best is to experience it.
Yea Wikin, I truly believe it that idea too.....

david&david
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:35 pm

adrian4454 wrote:Yah do report back on your findings. Something u need to watch out, as you may screw back the transmitter to the side panel, pls hold the transmitter firmly, u need to apply pressure to the screw, as the transmitter screw hole doesnt has screw thread.

Also, try not to over heat the solder joint.~

Thank you very much. Accidentally order 2 pcs of totx177L from element14. I successfully added a coaxial output (directly steal the signal right after the decoder chip) for my pioneer pds904. I try both optic and coaxial, optic sound r more airy, bass slam is lighter than coaxial, that all i can hear the difference so far (still using old transmitter, awaiting new one to be deliver). Will try to c what happen next after the new transmitter install.

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi Adrian, u r right, changed the transmitter, the 1st noticeable is red beam r much more brighter (test by one end in the transmitter and the other end open to a black surface). I told u I were going to change the clock for my pioneer, but I didn't for this particular test. So how does it sound? Lower frequency r substantially improve, more weight (very noticeable from double bass instructment), detail improve, vocal same as before (could not detect any different)...to sum up, a little less than rm10 transmitter could bring substantial improvement is worth an investment.

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Maybe these transmitter thingys do wear out and don't sound good compared to a new one. I wonder it these do wear out eventually.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:59 pm

cmboy wrote:Maybe these transmitter thingys do wear out and don't sound good compared to a new one. I wonder it these do wear out eventually.

Is cheap & can change every year

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:51 am

Hi Pui,

Glad to hear that... finally the voices got out of my head... Smile

Mean time, I been reading some writing about direct digital output for SP/DIF from the chip... no capacitor, no resistor, no transformer... haha, gonna get 1 unit of the lousy DVD player to try this one out later.. most likely going to run it on BNC...

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:33 am

adrian4454 wrote:Hi Pui,

Glad to hear that... finally the voices got out of my head... Smile

Mean time, I been reading some writing about direct digital output for SP/DIF from the chip... no capacitor, no resistor, no transformer... haha, gonna get 1 unit of the lousy DVD player to try this one out later.. most likely going to run it on BNC...

Hi Adrian

Give it a try and c what u can discover

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2