Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Running 2 pairs of speakers in parallel

5 posters

Go down

Running 2 pairs of speakers in parallel Empty Running 2 pairs of speakers in parallel

Post by dennis611 Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi all

Want to ask one question. My amp is 40w p/channel with 2 x sets of speaker output (Speaker A&B ). If I am to biwire it, does it mean that I will be having 80w per channel. Sori if the question sounded silly. Will it sound better and is it alrite if my 2 sets of spk cables are different? Running 2 pairs of speakers in parallel Icon_rolleyes

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Running 2 pairs of speakers in parallel Empty Re: Running 2 pairs of speakers in parallel

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:10 pm

Do you actually know what does "bi-wire" means ?

It's ok, if you're not sure ... then better to say so before you try some funny WIRING methods using that might end up damaging your speakers or amp or both.

Don't worry, no one is going to laugh at you... But just to be sure, lets clarify what do u mean by 40W will become 80W or something, etc etc etc.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Running 2 pairs of speakers in parallel Empty Re: Running 2 pairs of speakers in parallel

Post by dennis611 Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:36 am

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was since there are 2 spk outputs which can set up 2 pair of spks, does it mean that each spks produces 40W? And if I biwire 1 pair of spks using 2 outputs (with spk B button on), does each spk produces 80W each or still 40W. Hope that is clearer Running 2 pairs of speakers in parallel Icon_lol

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:09 am

u wont get 80W. see below...adding another speaker cable is just
to bypass the speaker internal wiring of tweeter and woofer.

amp ------- woofer
|
crossover --- tweeter

amp ------- woofer
|
------- crossover --- tweeter

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by runemaster Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:51 am

I thought he meant that there where two output from his amp, not referring to the speaker?

runemaster
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by dennis611 Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:56 am

Yup runemaster. Thats what I meant. Using 2 output to a pair of spks

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:08 pm

the two output for amplifier is internally shorted. means a pair of binding post but onlu meant for one speaker.my illustration a bit misleading as the image misaligned when published. The message I would like to share is actually the two pair of binding post for amplifier is meant for bi-wiring, means one for woofer one for tweeter. The speaker must have two pair of binding post as well to do the bi-wiring..

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by dennis611 Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks wabun for the explanation. If I were to biwire as u've mention, will there b improvements. Any taiko here is having this set up using both output to run 1 pair of spks. Thanks in advance

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:37 pm

Yes thanks to sifu wabun ... u can take it from here ... Smile
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:39 pm

wabun wrote:the two output for amplifier is internally shorted. means a pair of binding post but onlu meant for one speaker.my illustration a bit misleading as the image misaligned when published. The message I would like to share is actually the two pair of binding post for amplifier is meant for bi-wiring, means one for woofer one for tweeter. The speaker must have two pair of binding post as well to do the bi-wiring..

but be careful, some amps with the A/B selector switch actually put 2 speakers in series when both A & B pairs are selected. If these kind of output is used for "bi-wire" to the same speaker, might accidentally cause an output short..

Maybe u can help by drawing it out here also .... Razz
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:19 pm

my 2 sen..

in the old days before biwiring, people used amps with A/B speaker selector switches to drive two pairs of speakers. Just turn both speaker switches on.

however, this is not commonly practised today. Two pairs of speaker binding posts can be used for biwiring. Simply connect one pair of speaker cables to the tweeter terminals on the speaker and connect another pair to the bass/mid terminals.

but remember to remove the jumper from the speaker terminals. power output from the amp shld be unchanged cos the two pairs of speaker cables are connected in parallel.

as for using different brands of speaker cables for tweeter and bass, you can experiment. but most people advise using cables from the same company, but not necessarily the same model. for e.g. if u use audioquest speaker cables, u can use a lower range for the bass/mid and higher range for tweeter. cables from different companies have different sonic signatures and matching can be a problem if u use, for e.g. a cardas for the bass/mid and audioquest for tweeter.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down