Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Seeking Help To Complete a Hifi- System

4 posters

Go down

Seeking Help To Complete a Hifi- System Empty Seeking Help To Complete a Hifi- System

Post by JwongRyan Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi guys,

First of all I have to say I'm totally new into this field, been doing research online for the past few days and noticed that there's a lot of DIY and second hand equipment around. I wish to learn more and seek for more advises/opinion/suggestion from the bros in order to perfect the current available equipment with additional stuff (the current one is not complete) 

The story began with I found some left over hifi-equipment from my store, where my dad bought long ago for the living room (lost count of years  Sad ) but stop using it sometimes ago. Since we're renovating our house and I gonna have my own room soon, I decided to take out these equipment and try to complete it so that I will have a hifi system in my room XP  Razz  Razz 

Budget: RM1500

Available Equipment 
1. Onkyo AV Receiver TX-SR6oo
2. Wharfedale-diamond-8-series Standing Speaker 1 Pair
3. Wharfedale-diamond-8-series Central Speaker 1 unit.

*Unfortunately all the equipment I found are without cables, sad max.

My current planning is
1. Get a pair of bookshelf speaker
2. Get a full set of cables (Digital Cables, Interconnects, and of course Speaker Cables)
3. A budget source (CD-player/USB/DVD or others)

Hence, hope that the bros here can advise me what I should do or add-on provided it's within the budget, I don't mind if its second hand or DIY as long its perfectly working =)

Thank You so much!!

JwongRyan

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-08-08

Back to top Go down

Seeking Help To Complete a Hifi- System Empty Re: Seeking Help To Complete a Hifi- System

Post by adrian4454 Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi Jwong, no one dare to think of a system with that budget, not much believe in them. Hifi has gone very high price. No worry, I totally believe it is achievable. 
You can keep the speakers. Look for topping tp60 amp someone selling at lowyet for 600.
Get a Dac from the same brand. 
Use a DVD player with digital output. 
Western electrics interconnect, someone selling here.
Speakers cable. Look out for solid core motor winding wire. 
Your headache may start with ur room. Housing any speakers in a small room will always cause echo. Bad for music. Check out youtube on how ppl normally treat the room. No need very elaborative.
Do report back if u found anything. Happy hifi-ing. U may still have spare change buying what I recommend.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Seeking Help To Complete a Hifi- System Empty Re: Seeking Help To Complete a Hifi- System

Post by andlee2k Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm

My 2 cents.

1. Go to Jalan Pasar, or any Tesco, Giant, Aeon Big, get all the cables you need. Cheapest Jalan Pasar followed by Giant, Puchong.

2. A lot selling CD players used here from a few hundred bucks. You can also get a DVD player at under RM200. Most comes with 24bit/192kHz DAC for audio. And if you AV amp comes with HDMI input, you then must make sure the DVD player has one (a HDMI output).

3. you then can get a pair of surround speakers at about RM1000 +/-.

Happy entry into the hifi/av land.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2011-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:34 pm

I've checked an found that your Onkyo SR-600 does not comes with HDMI.

So you can only buy a DVD (if you will) with stereo out (the Red & white buttons that sticks out) and if you want to make use of the "optical" input (digital sound) ofthe amp, you make sure the single optical" cable must be 75ohms. Jusy buy a cheap one. Not need branded one, for you budget.

Here's the Onkyo link FYI: https://www.google.com.my/search?q=onkyo+tx-sr600&rlz=1C1CHMO_en-GBMY571MY571&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=c2rA0PdyvqD7aM%253A%253BlG0T0hFIFmaBkM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.onkyousa.com%25252FProducts%25252Fmodel.php%25253Fm%2525253DTX-SR600%25252526class%2525253DReceiver&source=iu&fir=c2rA0PdyvqD7aM%253A%252ClG0T0hFIFmaBkM%252C_&usg=__A21AFw8xsx88AVbwr_hQBwXp-ww%3D&sa=X&ei=qmMFVLjcJI_h8AWFxoB4&ved=0CCcQ9QEwAQ&biw=1536&bih=764#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=c2rA0PdyvqD7aM%253A%3BlG0T0hFIFmaBkM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.onkyousa.com%252FimagesNew%252Freceiver%252Ftx-sr600%252Fback_large.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.onkyousa.com%252FProducts%252Fmodel.php%253Fm%253DTX-SR600%2526class%253DReceiver%3B800%3B319

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:38 pm

And 1 last thing. It's better to get a pair of Surround speaker with:

Impedence: 6-8 ohms (preferably not 4Ohms)

And SPL: above 90

This as your amp in considered low powered, especially for the surround and also impedance matching.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by samazzah Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Here's an alternative choice. Go make a call to Digital Audio Studio in Pudu - Chin @ 012290 5989. He stocks Audioengine A5+ powered speakers. They are very good speakers and you don't have to have the hassle of cables, etc. They cost around RM1500 and include built in amps. Or go to www.audioengineusa.com. For your player, a DVD player with DAC will outperform any second hand CD player. Better still, if you are Mac oriented, the Mac Mini is better still as a means to store your ripped CDs, Spotify and play the music / videos from the internet, etc. Costs more though. Also means that you have to sell your legacy stuff, the times have moved afraid.

Good luck then.
samazzah
samazzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Character sheet
Source(s): CA Azur 851 Streamer/Michell Gyro/OL Conqueror/ VDH Frog
Amplification: Nuprime STA-9
Speakers: B&W 706 /AVI DM 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down