Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Buying CDs to listen or to keep

+9
azri
joydivision
skydna
mugenfoo
car o scope
tycham
cmboy
WongKN
ARTESUANO
13 posters

Go down

Buying CDs to listen or to keep Empty Buying CDs to listen or to keep

Post by ARTESUANO Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi There,

Just out of curiosity, how many are you buying cd to listen or just keep it for collection purpose. I'm now having this habit of buying those which are hard to find or rare cd & listen one or twice only but main purpose is for collection only. Care to share your experience.

ARTESUANO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Buying CDs to listen or to keep Empty Re: Buying CDs to listen or to keep

Post by WongKN Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:26 pm

Just a note. I have seen several CDs where after a number of years, the aluminimium backing is pealing off. Needless to say the CDs are unplayable. They are original CDs. So not all CDs can be kept.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:13 pm

I've seen those were likely 80's pressed discs that have those symptoms possibly related to the materials and technology used in the manufacture and only now see its gradual destruction. I'm glad my collection haven't suffered that fate yet, hopefully because I store them with loads of silica gel packs in the main containers (especially the most precious of them), and all of them with re-sealable plastic wrapping to ensure its protected further. Yep, I could admit I do have a slant towards collecting rather than listening.
Hey, I DO play them whenever I feel like it though.
My 2 sen.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 pm

cmboy wrote:I've seen those were likely 80's pressed discs that have those symptoms possibly related to the materials and technology used in the manufacture and only now see its gradual destruction. I'm glad my collection haven't suffered that fate yet, hopefully because I store them with loads of silica gel packs in the main containers (especially the most precious of them), and all of them with re-sealable plastic wrapping to ensure its protected further. Yep, I could admit I do have a slant towards collecting rather than listening.
Hey, I DO play them whenever I feel like it though.
My 2 sen.

Very good idea to keep them sealed in Zip-loc bags if you are not playing them often. Would be as good as new for a very long, long time.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:02 pm

Any one of you here keep/store CDs in refrigerator?
I have came across some people who did that.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:27 am

CDs cannot keep so well under the test of time especially under high humidity and changes in ambient temp. The aluminium layer will oxidise and become unplayable. This is more apparent especially for Polygram CDs in which the aluminium coating is applied fully from the centre hole right to the edge of the disc. The rest are usually better where there is a clear plastic section at the full edge, and also around the centre hole. But the clear laminate can also de-laminate and ruin the disc also.

Vinyls on the other hand will keep the longest provided they are not subjected to chemical exposure (cleaned with the wrong liquid or soap) or physically damaged. But vinyls being a mechanical medium, will wear out normally from normal usage, or faster if the TT is not set up properly.

I never understood why people might want to buy CDs just to keep. Same goes for the folks who last time collected alot of LaserDisc movies without even having an LD player at home.

And there are folks also doing the same for BLuRay discs as well.

But hey, do whatever makes you happy... Its your money.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:08 am

Hehehe... if it was a permissible trend, collect nice specimens of the fairer sex too, the more the merrier...BUT it comes with a cost and stress to upkeep... ok ok.. lets not expand on this.. just a midnight jest.

Yep, those early Polydor ones.. particularly those made in Korea or EU, seen some of them peeled. Our weather and humidity is very harsh. A tell tale sign especially on some people's amplifier RCA sockets where corrosion of varying degrees can be seen.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by skydna Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:38 am

Ah this remember me a funny story from a friend, which he saw a program from hong kong, some teenager scare to step into a cd shop because his friends will laugh on him, every where are mp3s why pay money for music?
Aizz~ this is what the world changed...

Normally i will try search the songs in youtube for a preview before i buy, but even i am really love it, it still play depends on my mood, really sorry to some rare playing CDs~
But i do think that buy CDs to keep or listen is the way to support and show your love to the singer or musician, then you have some thing share to your friends.
I am sure if it is a good music your friend will cry on you to sell the CD to him Very Happy

To prevent broken of cd i think RIP the content to a computer will be a best way and then join C.A.T (Computer As Transport), but i will continue to buy CDs but not to pay and download from internet, because of no cover only the music cant really satisfy me~~ Razz
skydna
skydna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Character sheet
Source(s): Naim
Amplification: Naim
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:26 am

Some CDs will also get a layer sort of fungus after some time.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTESUANO Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:49 am

Since we all know that CDs tend to oxidise, peel off, fungus or de-laminate, is there anyway we can maintain it so that this things won't happen. anyone care to share.

ARTESUANO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by joydivision Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:04 am

ARTESUANO wrote:Since we all know that CDs tend to oxidise, peel off, fungus or de-laminate, is there anyway we can maintain it so that this things won't happen. anyone care to share.

All materials suffer from degradation over time. So there is no absolute way to prevent this phenomenon from happening. We know the root of the problem, humidity where water vapor + oxygen = oxidation/ corrosion. Removing both the entities would be impossible, so the best is to minimize the presence of water vapor to ALARP. I've seen room dehumidifiers for sale below USD 200 where the user can control the level of dry air he wants to achieve.
joydivision
joydivision
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:14 am

Arte,

There is this kind of humidity control cabinets which photographers store their precious lenses.
I have seen this kind of cabinets in my uncle's house.
Not so sure of the effects to CDs.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:22 pm

perhaps cds made in malaysia are facing that kind of problems
i do collect cds for listening & i found that mine are still in good conditions
until today my 1990s metallica ride the lightning & sepultura beneath the remains played well, no sign of ageing. both were original from US
here in australia, i bought a few old release like primus frizzle fry & megadeth rust in peace.. still .. in pristine condition
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:37 pm

I do both actually. I have CDs for listening and must admit I enjoy collecting them too

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:46 pm

I suppose if anyone is so enthusiastic on hifi, best to buy as much music to the limits of own affordability. CD albums come and go, although numerous albums continue to be produced. Looking back at my own collection, I could say a huge amount are already rare, discontinued or never will see another of the same in the near future, UNLESS you're going stand on your head and pay highly for used ones, desirable ones, on auction, and from abroad. Just look at the shocking prices of those audiophile discs from Mobile Fidelity, DCC, CBS mastersound, etc. Of course goes without saying anyone my be lucky to inherit, find at some shop, find at some used goods store, or pick up from someone's bin.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by runemaster Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:56 pm

what about we vaccum the box where we put cd? will that help?

runemaster
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:05 pm

runemaster wrote:what about we vaccum the box where we put cd? will that help?

Hmmm... why recommend more complication on cd storage? Do you do that for your jewellery or watch collection?

I think this is most practical, and I've thought of doing it very soon.
A huge custom CD wall cabinet that can store above 1000 cd's with glass display doors. All cd's are to be plastic wrapped, and numerous packets of silica gel (renew periodically) in every shelf. Some sections must accommodate box sets.
I've seen on the internet there are numerous knock down CD storage furniture sold in USA ranging to US$700. Sadly these are not to be sold or found here.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:00 pm

I think you can probably find something suitable from Ikea or worse case, something appropriate where you can do a little DIY and get what you want. Ikea can be quite surprising to the enterprising person. For e.g. many LP collectors have found their bookshelf to be almost perfect for storing LPs.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:21 pm

I've looked to every avenue (unless I can afford Ikea prices) and NOTHING there suits my requirement, even DIY. I'm speaking of housing a collection far more huge than any Ikea CD storage can offer. Multiple or stacked racks isn't it either d I prefer it to be a one off and permanent, and not as something temporary.
I reckon kitchen cabinet people are the ones I may have to turn to, and to use solid wood instead of particle boards that may bend or wap in future.
Yes, the Expedit book case have been a popular choice for many vinyl collectors.

I think this gives a fair idea of my desire.

http://www.spinkeeper.com/maslgldoca1.html
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:26 pm

You might have to resort to custom made. Which is going to be pricey, unfortunately.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:37 pm

WongKN wrote:You might have to resort to custom made. Which is going to be pricey, unfortunately.
I know!.. and everything I've thought over for sometime points to this direction for sure. BUT, if I can have a source for suitable wood planks, (not meranti lah!) I could DIY quite easily as I've the power tools to do it, Not just power drill and hand screw drivers. I do happen to have a Makita circular mitre saw and various air tools. I recently visited a timber yard. Yes, got!.. but I think they're mostly unsuitable for fine joinery and furniture, better suited for building construction. Tough!
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:14 pm

I remember there's one shop in Uptown Damansara where they sell lots of wood poles and planks. It's the row where the DU car audio shop is but unfortunately I don't really know the road name (seldom go there). Its in between the LDP entrance and the roundabout. Perhaps you can try scouting around that area and check the shop out ? Other than that, sorry that I can't be of more help.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:21 pm

Thank you Wong, I do remember that shop but never re-visited after I bought some timber staircase railing and side columns many years back. I think they were a good source for moulded timber for interior design projects. Ain't sure if they still exist. Its ok.. I'll continue to look and review my options or solution as and when time may permit. Meanwhile it'll continue to be a chore digging out some cd album to play.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:48 pm

cmboy wrote:
runemaster wrote:what about we vaccum the box where we put cd? will that help?

Hmmm... why recommend more complication on cd storage? Do you do that for your jewellery or watch collection?

I think this is most practical, and I've thought of doing it very soon.
A huge custom CD wall cabinet that can store above 1000 cd's with glass display doors. All cd's are to be plastic wrapped, and numerous packets of silica gel (renew periodically) in every shelf. Some sections must accommodate box sets.
I've seen on the internet there are numerous knock down CD storage furniture sold in USA ranging to US$700. Sadly these are not to be sold or found here.

I had mine designed and custom made by my ID to store bout 1.5K to 2K CDs. Its nicely integrated with the wall so no glass doors. Prefer to be discrete. Includes more storage cabinets for other stuff but cost > 5K Buying CDs to listen or to keep Icon_cry I hang my TV beneath the CD storage..

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTESUANO Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:34 am

Hi cmboy,

That timber shop you mention early is still around. Last time it located same roll as Standard Chartered Bank but now behind the bank but further down that road.

Back to the topic, how you all keep the cd properly especially those cd which are in paper type of casing like those First Impression Music (FIM) which the whole casing is make of paper. Have anyone had problem tear or wear after sometimes.

ARTESUANO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:02 pm

For me, I don't have cd's near my rig but stored in those covered plastic bins. Whenever I want to play them, I'd take out a selection and play them and return them immediately for storage soon after. Last time I checked, they're all still prestine. Anyway, I wish all cd's came with jewel case, should have been this way all along. Having said that, I'm thinking of jewel casing a lot of my Asian cd's that are packaged in replica mini LP package. Its a little chore to take them out to play. My 2 cents.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:30 pm

cmboy wrote:For me, I don't have cd's near my rig but stored in those covered plastic bins. Whenever I want to play them, I'd take out a selection and play them and return them immediately for storage soon after. Last time I checked, they're all still prestine. Anyway, I wish all cd's came with jewel case, should have been this way all along. Having said that, I'm thinking of jewel casing a lot of my Asian cd's that are packaged in replica mini LP package. Its a little chore to take them out to play. My 2 cents.

I store the covers and packages after ~1 week and keep the CD itself in one of my mobile CD wallets.. Thoese that can store ~100 or so CDs without their cases at a go

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:35 pm

llsaw wrote:
I store the covers and packages after ~1 week and keep the CD itself in one of my mobile CD wallets.. Thoese that can store ~100 or so CDs without their cases at a go

Good idea too.. well done!
On another note, personally I keep most collection from prying eyes of visitors. I've had some audiophile buddy's some cd's and some hifi bits "go missing" and the owner regrets it all in the aftermath. Sad to hear this kind of phenomenon are heard.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:17 pm

cmboy wrote:
llsaw wrote:

Good idea too.. well done!
On another note, personally I keep most collection from prying eyes of visitors. I've had some audiophile buddy's some cd's and some hifi bits "go missing" and the owner regrets it all in the aftermath. Sad to hear this kind of phenomenon are heard.

Same here. A number of my wife's friends have wanted to borrow some of my CDs after seeing my collection. Knowing full well that what gets borrowed will probably also get copied I will politely decline..

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:34 pm

A long time ago, I had a friend who's LP collection were all nicely labelled with a sticker, "Not available for lending". One gets the message easily.
I hide mine from any prying eyes, much easier. As with anything else, personal treasures are likely for self satisfaction, not for popularity contest or impress anyone else.
One more own idea. I've catalogued nearly all my cd's on a software and taught my son who'd probably inherit them in future, and educated him on the value of many of them, most important of all keep them, never to sell them as part of my legacy to them. I do fear opportunists may knock at the door to see your cd or LP collection hoping to acquire them on the cheap. Its possible you know..
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:56 pm

ok, but if hypothetically there's a buyer mad enough to offer like a million bucks for this one particular XXXX-title CD .... Would you still tell your son not to sell it ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 pm

If it happens to me:

With such offer, I will kindly deliver it to his doorstep even if he wants it at 3am in the morning!! Buying CDs to listen or to keep Icon_razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Hmmm... I'd probably say, there's a lunatic at the door or just tell him he can get it for much cheaper at Ebay.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:02 pm

car o scope wrote:If it happens to me:

With such offer, I will kindly deliver it to his doorstep even if he wants it at 3am in the morning!! Buying CDs to listen or to keep Icon_razz

I'd do the same !!!

If anyone is loony enuff to make such an offer, I'd better be loony enuff to accept it !
Grab this opportunity with both hands !! (instead of trying to educate the initial loony about ebay or whatever).
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:34 pm

some people are now ripping their cd collection and storing the songs in an external hard disk drive.
if u want to follow this road, just dowload eac - exact audio copy - for free. it's the best ripper around.
hard disks are cheap these days.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Yup. I am doing just that!
Use EAC, ripped lossless and store/play using external hard disk.
Occasionally I do play them proper (CDP).. otherwise it's out of sight in a cool, dry and dark storage area.. Wink

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down