Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Record Cleaning Machines

+5
Somkiet
elhefe
j22
adrian4454
llsaw
9 posters

Go down

Record Cleaning Machines Empty Record Cleaning Machines

Post by llsaw Sat May 02, 2015 7:46 am

Does anyone have experience with record cleaning machines like the Clearaudio Smart Matrix Pro, VPI or Oki Nokki? How effective are these in reducing surface noise? Essential necessity or save your money and utilize it elsewhere?

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Record Cleaning Machines Empty Re: Record Cleaning Machines

Post by adrian4454 Sat May 02, 2015 7:57 am

Hi llsaw,
    Last time when i was doing some investigation into something like this, i came across extreme ultrasonic cleaning. I am sure there is very well done audiophile unit out there that cost serious money. Or u can try a bit of diy. Afterall, the ultrasonic cleaner is 600 to 1k in aliexpress. While the turning jig needs to be of ur own little invention. Smile

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by j22 Sat May 02, 2015 10:24 am

Consider it essential. The more expensive units might do a slightly better job but generally you are paying for speed, lower noise and convenience. The difference however between a record cleaner and none at all is night and day!

j22
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat May 02, 2015 11:38 am

Very essential...

To reproduce the sound from the groove as best as possible, there should be minimal dirt between the stylus and the groove. 

Also, a clean record helps to prolong the life of your stylus.

Record Cleaning Machines Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Sat May 02, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks. Just ordered the Clearaudio Smart Matrix Professional. Should be arriving next week. Will report out on its effectiveness.
Really hoping it will reduce surface noise. I find practically all the new records I buy dirty with lotsa vinyl dust, etc. Exact opposite of CDs.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat May 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Yes... even brand new LPs will benefit from a good clean up. Do update us on your new purchase and how effective it is.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by Somkiet Mon May 04, 2015 9:30 am

Record Cleaning Machines 20111011
Somkiet
Somkiet
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2011-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by zulkifar Tue May 05, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi llsaw,
Yes, getting a RCM is the way to go. Don't forget to replace the paper inner sleeves if they are moldy. Plastic sleeves can be cleaned though. If your outer sleeves also happen to be moldy, do clean and dry them otherwise with a bit of moisture (as in our climate) and over time, they get dirty/moldy again.

zulkifar
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Character sheet
Source(s): LP,CD
Amplification: SET
Speakers: Dynamic

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Tue May 05, 2015 1:39 pm

Thanks for the tip Bro. Using Mofi inner sleeves and Japanese resealable outer sleeves from Elusive Disc in the US

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue May 05, 2015 3:57 pm

llsaw... dont forgetabout the cleaning fluid as well.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Tue May 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Currently using this

Record Cleaning Machines Dscn1316

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:10 am

I have washed about 40+ lps to-date but I find there is minimal effect on surface noise amount. Aesthetically the vinyl looks pristine but the clicks and pops are still there and sometimes more. Bear in mind I only own new lps and these are regular contemporary recordings vs audiophile pressings. With audiophile pressings I don't even have to clean the vinyl for it to have much less (downright negligible to zero) surface noise. Comments/advice anyone?

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by samn Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Used lps are more prone to pop and clicks. We can't eliminate them entirely, however, if I could reduce them I'm more than happy. So it's a matter of getting used to it.
samn
samn
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega RP3, Audiolab 8200CD, Marantz CD6003, Teac W790R & Teac V5010
Amplification: Audiolab 8200Q & Audiolab 8000M
Speakers: Mission Volare V63

Back to top Go down

Post by Anwar Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:15 am

When your system is turned on and the volume is at regular listening level, how much background noise do you hear from the speakers?  Some phono stages tend to amplify the surface noise.  Also, if your tonearm and stylus have been setup for audiophile records, when you play thinner records (what you call contemporary recordings), the stylus rake angle may not be 100% correct, causing more surface noise.  Turntable isolation is also very important to reduce surface noise.
Anwar
Anwar
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2011-01-08

Character sheet
Source(s): AAMS+, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, TW Raven Two + TW 10.5 with Benz LP-S + Triplanar VII with Quintet Black, Audio Research REF Phono 2SE
Amplification: Bent Audio silver slagleformer preamp, Bryston 10B-SUB, McIntosh MC452 for front, MC303 for center and rear
Speakers: Focal Diablo Utopia III for LCR, Focal IW 1002 Be for rear, 2 x JL Audio Fathom f113 subs

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:38 am

Anwar wrote:When your system is turned on and the volume is at regular listening level, how much background noise do you hear from the speakers?  Some phono stages tend to amplify the surface noise.  Also, if your tonearm and stylus have been setup for audiophile records, when you play thinner records (what you call contemporary recordings), the stylus rake angle may not be 100% correct, causing more surface noise.  Turntable isolation is also very important to reduce surface noise.

Bro,

I've tried with 3 different phono stages (Audiolab, Primare R32 and my current Allnic H1201) and I'm pretty sure the clicks and pops are bout the same. I find the vinyl from audiophile labels generally quiet and most of the Music on Vinyl pressings. Just not the common pop/rock albums unfortunately though some are very good. I'd guess the quality of current and new vinyl pressings are on the downturn quality wise.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:56 am

I realise current reissues and new vinyl pressings (audiophile mostly) are carefully manufactured and using the best virgin vinyl or use purest raw material they can source from. This process is a major contributor to lowest surface noise. In those days when vinyls were pressed by the millions, it was rumored the labels also knew very well to cut cost and used recycled vinyl or plastics that can be questionable, afterall its the music that matters to most customers, not just to audiophile and golden ears during the vinyl heyday. Most people wouldn't really care about surface noises, how thin the LP, whats it made of, its all about the music and price. What I'm pointing out probably a contributor of surface noise can be from the kind of vinyl quality used even though it maybe pristine in every aspect but there's still audible noise that can't be cured despite attempts on tweaking the turntable or amplification. Well, much later on, common knowledge the CD was designed to counter most of the shortcomings of the vinyl format, of course, SQ is another matter. My opinion.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Anwar Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:52 am

I started vinyl with Clearaudio Concept and I had exactly the same problem, i.e. can only listen to audiophile records.  The Concept is not good with regular records.  When I listened to regular records at my friends's systems with high-mass platter TT, I was very surprised how much better it sounded.  Eventually I bought a used high-mass platter TT and wow, non-audiophile records are so listenable and enjoyable.  I grounded the bottom of platter shaft to reduce/eliminate static noise.  I upgraded the phono stage as well with the TT upgrade.

I suggest you bring your records and test at your friends' systems or hi-fi shops with high-mass platter TT.  You also need to check your TT VTA and see if it was setup correctly.  I used digital microscope to ensure the stylus rake angle was setup properly and Fosgometer to ensure left and right channels are balanced.

One more thing.  Use a small torch light and shine it on the records (on platter) after you have cleaned it.  If dusts are still there, you can see it.
Anwar
Anwar
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): AAMS+, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, TW Raven Two + TW 10.5 with Benz LP-S + Triplanar VII with Quintet Black, Audio Research REF Phono 2SE
Amplification: Bent Audio silver slagleformer preamp, Bryston 10B-SUB, McIntosh MC452 for front, MC303 for center and rear
Speakers: Focal Diablo Utopia III for LCR, Focal IW 1002 Be for rear, 2 x JL Audio Fathom f113 subs

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:49 am

Anwar wrote:I started vinyl with Clearaudio Concept and I had exactly the same problem, i.e. can only listen to audiophile records.  The Concept is not good with regular records.  When I listened to regular records at my friends's systems with high-mass platter TT, I was very surprised how much better it sounded.  Eventually I bought a used high-mass platter TT and wow, non-audiophile records are so listenable and enjoyable.  I grounded the bottom of platter shaft to reduce/eliminate static noise.  I upgraded the phono stage as well with the TT upgrade.

I suggest you bring your records and test at your friends' systems or hi-fi shops with high-mass platter TT.  You also need to check your TT VTA and see if it was setup correctly.  I used digital microscope to ensure the stylus rake angle was setup properly and Fosgometer to ensure left and right channels are balanced.

One more thing.  Use a small torch light and shine it on the records (on platter) after you have cleaned it.  If dusts are still there, you can see it.

TW Acustic Ravens ranked very highly in my list of turntables but at this level one will probably need a home audition. Are you aware of any dealers in Penang?

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Anwar Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:19 am

The importer for Singapore/Malaysia is Audio Note Singapore and they are setting up a branch at Jaya One, PJ.  Once a while used Raven appear at their website http://www.hifi.com.sg/
Anwar
Anwar
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:10 am

Anwar wrote:The importer for Singapore/Malaysia is Audio Note Singapore and they are setting up a branch at Jaya One, PJ.  Once a while used Raven appear at their website http://www.hifi.com.sg/

Thanks. Kinda next to impossible to set up a home audition though given the distances involved.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down