Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

What Power Conditioner should I use?

+5
hifikrazy
hughesths
azri
bassraptor
ivan.wong
9 posters

Go down

What Power Conditioner should I use? Empty What Power Conditioner should I use?

Post by ivan.wong Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:42 am

hi everyone! I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm setting my own home theater room with 7.1 and busy getting things in place. What I worry now is the fluctuation of the power at my place and plan to get a power conditoner for my equipments. My question is which one should I go for? Or I just need a power regulator will do?

I'm looking at such a device within my budget (below rm1K) either is a used or new unit.

Anyone have any good recommendation? Thanks in advance for the expert advise!

ivan.wong
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Back to top Go down

What Power Conditioner should I use? Empty Re: What Power Conditioner should I use?

Post by bassraptor Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:04 am

If you want to address voltage fluctuations, it's not a power conditioner you need, you'll get similiar readings. You need a regulator or regenerator. For a budget of Rm1k, I can only think of the small ones sold by Tong Lee; check if it can handle the amp's needs. Won't do much for cleaner power, but you could add a conditioneer in the chain later. If you're willing to spend much more, go for the PurePower AC regenerators.

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

What Power Conditioner should I use? Empty Re: What Power Conditioner should I use?

Post by azri Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:49 am

is it save to run a regenerator that has input of 220v?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by hughesths Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:58 am

Mr Azri, it should be alright to run a regenerator with the input of 220v. For your info, my PP2000i always being powered by 190v input at night!

Mr Ivan Wong, like Mr Bassraptor said, go for voltage regulator or ac regenerator if you want more stable voltage input for your equipments. But less than rm1k voltage regurator will have its limits for its power output and degree of voltage regulation. You may consider Isoteks Mira though not a voltage regulator, for protection of your gears (less heat generated, thus gears life spam prolonged ) and for better/obvious sound improvement in focus, soundstaging, controlled low bass, separation... I'm using a Mira for my 50inch plasma tv, and the plasma tv is generating very less heat! The picture quality is improved too.

hughesths
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:27 am

I used to have a Belkin Pure AV for my HT, but each time the input went above 260v, it shut down! Now running all HT gear through one of the bigger regulators from Tong Lee.

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:23 pm

is this ok to use? i saw this & its cheap, but im not sure it can deliver the purpose. its a slide regulator & has variable voltage output.

What Power Conditioner should I use? Img00913
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:24 pm

very retro & hardcore looking but its brand new What a Face
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Almost looks like pasar malam stall generator. What Power Conditioner should I use? Icon_smile

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by drife Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:35 pm

nice. plasma tv saver. this is gonna help sort out my future power problems. thx for sharing Hugh and BR.

drife
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 2068
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Character sheet
Source(s): USJ
Amplification: Subang Jaya
Speakers: Selangor

http://drifeaudio.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:40 pm

hahahaha lol! lol!
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:01 pm

here is something from LITE, recently they come up with few new & nice_looking_but_not_sure_the_sound amplifiers, also an AC regenerator, the P-100 :

looks promising but the thing is its 220v input. if hugh say is true than this is a good bargain..

What Power Conditioner should I use? P-10010

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LITE-High-End-AC-Power-Plant-Regenerator-100W-P-100-/230499643737?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aad97159#ht_2829wt_760

azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ivan.wong Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:26 pm

thanks everyone for the good info shared! I'm not sure whether I need a power conditioner or a power regulator coz I just bought a new condo at Ara Damansara (near NXZ PJ) and it is a new area. I don't know how is the voltage over that area but what I wish to achieve is to have more cleaner sound with some protection over my gears. Does the power conditioner comes with voltage regulator function? I don't mind to spend a little bit more as long as I can achieve the sound quality I want.

I came across with some people claiming that using regulator or power conditioner will degrade the sound quality, is it true?

ivan.wong
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kancan Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:25 pm

For me, If u have super sonic ear you can tell different, beetwen RM100-RM5k conditioner..conditioner it another accessories to make you look good. Basically, its just another waste..for me regulator is enough, just synchronize the power to your setup. Other than that, conditioner or whatever..i can says it sucks..
kancan
kancan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by hughesths Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:36 pm

azri wrote:here is something from LITE, recently they come up with few new & nice_looking_but_not_sure_the_sound amplifiers, also an AC regenerator, the P-100 :

looks promising but the thing is its 220v input. if hugh say is true than this is a good bargain..

What Power Conditioner should I use? P-10010

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LITE-High-End-AC-Power-Plant-Regenerator-100W-P-100-/230499643737?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aad97159#ht_2829wt_760

Hi Mr Azri,

If the power product is designed for 220v input voltage, I would not encourage the ac product usage in Malaysia which is 230v. I have a friend who bought an 220v rated Isoteks Titan from Hong Kong ( 220v ) and it broke down after 6 months of usage in Malaysia. The Pure Power ac regenerator mentioned is designed for 240v input voltage. So beware.

hughesths
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi hughesths,
in Malaysia v have 240v , n in my area TNB always give mr 250v

cheers,
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:50 pm

ivan, im in ara damansara too and so far i can say the voltage is pretty stable. last time i only use tacima but recently changed to copperline power block.

*hopefully mugen wont come and ask me to show voltage chart or any thing.....cabuttzz!! What Power Conditioner should I use? Icon_razz
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character sheet
Source(s): Oppo
Amplification: Parasound
Speakers: Klipsch

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:53 pm

oh if not mistaken someone told me using voltage regulator degrade sound and he's right. sound improve after i took out my cheap voltage regulator.
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hughesths Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:16 pm

ivan.wong wrote:thanks everyone for the good info shared! I'm not sure whether I need a power conditioner or a power regulator coz I just bought a new condo at Ara Damansara (near NXZ PJ) and it is a new area. I don't know how is the voltage over that area but what I wish to achieve is to have more cleaner sound with some protection over my gears. Does the power conditioner comes with voltage regulator function? I don't mind to spend a little bit more as long as I can achieve the sound quality I want.

I came across with some people claiming that using regulator or power conditioner will degrade the sound quality, is it true?

Normally input voltage for condos is quite stable, so perhaps power conditioner is more suitable. Only certain " Hifi " brands of power products will degrade the sound quality from my experience. The industrial and non-audio power products will normally degrade the sound.
To achieve cleaner sound and gears protection, as said before, you may try value for money and made in UK Isoteks products, I'm sure you wouldn't regret after realising the degree of sound improvement it gives.
Always audition prior to any purchase.

Thanks, Mr Noodle88.

hughesths
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Ivan, lots of people will give you lots of advise, so yes, try first if possible. My posting is based on personal experience, not what other people say or have told me. So if you buy an el cheapo regulator or conditioner, whether it works or not for you is for you to decide. All the advice here may only point you in different directions and confuse you!, instead of helping!
cheers!

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by arremie Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:21 pm

maybe borrow first and test c if it works What Power Conditioner should I use? Icon_lol
arremie
arremie
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ivan.wong Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:00 am

hmm... good idea arremie What Power Conditioner should I use? Icon_lol but pinjam from who ? What Power Conditioner should I use? Icon_cyclops guess will have to buy it then and test. if not satisfied then sell at For Sale section haha...

thanks guys!

ivan.wong
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down