Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

NewclassD switching amps

4 posters

Go down

NewclassD switching amps Empty NewclassD switching amps

Post by bal Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:55 pm

Sweetened pherphs of our fine and refined forum,
Good evening i bid yee lot one and all.

Looking high and low for a new power amp, something new and exciting, to drive my MMG maggie, which slurps power like a drain slurps up ... er... drain-o. Ok , that didn't go very well but yeah, ya, yeth, the maggies love the power.

My sifu, who does not come here, strongly suggested i look at these amps, the NewclassD is the name of a brand. He says just don't look at anything else, anymore, forget everyone else trying to sell their 20 year old stuff(s) on hifi4sale, and just get these babies. Drop the jeff rowlands, discard the krells, do away with the valve jobbies. Just pass go, pays yer moneys, sit in the sweet spot, and flick on bliss to end all bliss.

They pump out 480W per channel without breaking a sweat(s).

Total cost for a pair of mono blocks, with locally acquired transformers, and casing and input and out put sockets would be around rm6-7K .

The best thing since sliced bread, and the invention of the thumb screw, apparently, if one were to believe the accolades accorded.
They are supposed to be in possession of neutrality, transparency and power. All in spades, and then some. Punters seem happy. Require long warm ups.

Any comments, personal experiences, anyone got one or two or three? The next (under-appreciated) great great thing to end all other great great things, or dud in sheeps clo(no that won't work) or something in between?

Do tell.

Bal. (i do believe the smilies are looking at me paranoid-ly... go away smilies, go away)

Last edited by bal on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:15 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : the smilies, the smilies, they must go...they going to get me i swear...)

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

NewclassD switching amps Empty Re: NewclassD switching amps

Post by adrian4454 Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:45 pm

yap, Mr. Bal. That's pretty much the future of majority of best performance for the money kind of amp will be. In fact, it is very much happening currently.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:53 pm

D...d...d..don't call me MR my friend. just bal will do, after all, we are all friends here, ... i had some friends who had MRs in their names, ... and look what happended to the lot of them. Well, you can't can you, you not knowing them and all. But i can and i can tell you the accident wasn't pretty. What accident? eh? what accident indeed. That's what you get when you put a MR in your name, like your old dad... well, not YOUR old dad personally Adrian4454 (er, is that like a production line or something, no no, don't tell me, shouldn't have asked such personal question in the first place, so sorry so ssorrry), but anyone's old dad what called themselves a MR.

But I tell you, I tell you i tell you them MR guys aren't anything as horrid as them SIR guys, what what them and their SIR mums and dads and SIR kids all in tow, causing mayhem and havoc everywhich way they goes.

so, no, just plain bal will do me just fine.

And yeah, them switching amps,... er back to dems. Pretty good stuff, no? Eh?

just plan Bal. (the smilies have gone thank god).

bal

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:55 am

ok Bal, you got it..

Yes the switching amp..not much company dive into this for the moment.. thus far I know are Onkyo and Bel Canto(There are others I believe). The rest of those car audio stuffs dont count.

It has the potential to be like NAD 3020 in its hay day. But problem is Hi fi has very much moved upstream. cheapo and budget gear doesnt get much attention as it is used to. Hope some cheapo sub 1k int amp with D Class can repeat this history again.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Y.C. Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 am

Class D amps? Several models from Jeff Rowland, PS Audio, Nuforce, Rotel and etc, most using modules made by B&O ICEpower.

Y.C.
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:16 pm

yEp. And then some.

Actually i wuz wondering if anyone had heard of the brand itself that calles itself 'Newclassd'... they make amps, and yes, they are switching amps.

So no, we not talking jeff rolands and gang here. Just train ye scrutinizing eye here..

www.newclassd.com and let me know what yee thinks.

Should i get a pair? hungry maggies at home. 480 watts. Whatt? yes, 480watts. Apparently they are really good. Should i get a pair?? will the world end in a few months? What if it does, and i don't get a pair... won't matter than i suppose. But what of the missed opportunity then?

So many questions.. so many questions....so little sanity...

Do tell gang.

Bal

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:14 am

Hi Bal,

You shall be the first person to give us an insight of such matching~

I did check through the site, but it looks like module that you need to DIY yourself to make it an amp.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:45 pm

i,ll wait until my new room is ready. Due to a series of not so funny errors and miscommunication, my new music room is two feet(s) shorter than it was. This, apparently, was so the Indah Water fella's don't have to come into my music room each time i need the sewage dumped.

can imagine the indah water guys fondling my Maggies and asking why my 'spekar' so nipis. And the wonderful scent of eu- de- shits permeating my musical bliss for the next few days.

Sigh...the things i go thro for my music and hobby. But the offing is that a smaller room is easier to fill and my current Vincent power house might just get the job done after all.

We shall see.

Will let my friends here one and all know the outcome next month (that is due to the ETD..expected time of delivery of my house extended from christmas 2011 to new year (english) to new year (chinese) to end of the month.)

Bal

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi Bal,

The next thing that you dont really want, is to have them accidentally spilled shits water into the maggie ya Smile

Seriously, you are not into vintage houses right? The loo storage is still a standalone?

Anyway, u need to check on the basic requirement first. from what I read of other Class D, they dont go down well with dropping impedance. They do produce more watts if the impedance halve by half, but another half, they dont produce anymore watts. You need to check ur maggie impedance graph and check the Class D amp impedance capability too. Just my 2 cents.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Bal,

I've tried 2 class D amps to drive the 1.7 before, the amps courtesy of a seller from Singapore, compared with my previous Passlab X250:

1. Bel Canto M300 Monos:
NewclassD switching amps Dsc01012
NewclassD switching amps Dsc01011

and also another Class D during 'Driving Miss Maggie Part 1' session using 2. Wyred 4 Sound SX1000 Monos (no photo).

For the latter, the concensus then (almost unanimously, including some notables in this forum) that the Pass bettered the W4S. Not much improvement for the former too but caveat being (I was told by the seller) that I didn't hook up the Cantos to the dedicated pre provided (left bottom corner of photo 2), so they didn't perform to their full potential.

By no means I'm saying they're not to speed or no good, hell, I'm sure that others will definitely disagree but that's just my take for Class Ds driving Maggies.. Good luck with your hunt.. cheers

Cheers,

zb

zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks guys.
Man, them 1.7s look sweeeeet as pie. Wish i had the space. But i don't. Thanks for the info guys.

The smaller room means less watts needed, so let's see what happens. Will keep yee posted. Very Happy

Bal.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down