Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Opinion on Marantz CD94mk2

3 posters

Go down

Opinion on Marantz CD94mk2 Empty Opinion on Marantz CD94mk2

Post by abeye Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi, please share your views on the sound characteristic of this classic based on your experience.
How would you rate them against comparable players?
If you don't mind, please share its market value.
Appreciate it and Many thanks

abeye
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Character sheet
Source(s): Naim CDX/Teddy XPS / Philips CD880
Amplification: NVA P50&A60
Speakers: Harbeth C7ES3

Back to top Go down

Opinion on Marantz CD94mk2 Empty Re: Opinion on Marantz CD94mk2

Post by abeye Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:03 am

Anyone can share their experience on CD94mk2? Or perhaps its cousin Philip CD960.....

I am familiar with players of 90s from Meridian, Naim, Audiolab, Creek, Quad etc but mostly in different systems. Comparison of CD94mk2 against these players is welcomed (professionally with understanding that it is subjected to the system it was used).

Thanks Artsueno for the PM. Appreciate if you could post in this thread for sharing purposes.

Regards

abeye
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by 1541 Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:59 am

Naim CD3 excels to the CD94 - when playing fast/rock Music..the music just got better flow & less being constrained. Naim handles very well in timing,especially multiple notes ,played with slightly more in discipline.

No doubt CD94 is very great for used as a standalone transport..

Those who are looking for a pRAT CD player would be slightly dissappointed with CD94..even 94MKII i have compared against Naim CD2.

Again Niam Proved me a final winner.

market value,good condition with ori remore fetched up to..

CD960- RM2000 CD94 RM2200 CD94MK2 RM2800 CD3 RM2400 CD2 RM3800

CDi- RM4000 CDS/CDPS RM8000 [These are players with TDA1541 Dac ]

The CD960 and Naim CD 3 proves to me the best player[1541] in terms of cost & Performance.

Philips CD960 Vs Marantz CD94 how they sounds?...who has this direct experience pls continue..

note: Even though they shared a lot common in the design,but sounds different..both has thier own fans..some like one and hate the other..i happen to appreciate both of them for what they are..u know i am the 1540/1 great Fans. What a Face

Last edited by 1541 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2010-11-18

Character sheet
Source(s): 1541`s品种狂机
Amplification: Nac42/Nap90
Speakers: SARA

Back to top Go down

Post by abeye Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:51 am

Thanks 1541 for the advise,

I agree that Naim's PRAT sound is wonderful and addictive (I am pretty familiar with Naim sound/system after owning a pair of pre-power in the 90s and hev listened to various system up to CDS/52/4x135s at the time). But i could not recall the sound of their CD players on standalone basis compared to other players.

I thought about Naim CD player (especially after you sold the excellent CD2 recently) as well but the selection of the player will largely dependent on which player will give different presentation compared to my current CD setup - Meridian 506-->Monarchy DIP-->Monarchy M33 Dac. This CD set-up sounded pretty balanced (romantic yet not too much of it and some PRAT, with analogue sound), rounded off by greater refinement one-notch up across the board by the DIP.

My plan is to get another CD player that sounded differently from the Meridian-set above so that I will have the options depending on the mood of the day. The CD player will get connected directly to Monarchy M33 preanp section (or interchangeable as transport with Meridian)

The rest of my system (excluding CD players) are pretty balanced, capable to play across all music genres without sacrificing too much of one another. Eg, I listened to some orchestra, some vocal like Diana Krall, Acoustic Alchemy, Rippingtons, Chris Deburgh, Dire Straits, Deep Purple, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Yanni etc. I tried not to get into changing them, hence my plan to enhance flexibility via CD players.

A couple of questions:

1) What is your view of the sound of Meridian 506 compared to equivalent Naim/CD94?

2) I understand that you prefer Naim cd players as whole presentation. Are there any areas that cd players like CD94/CD960 sounded better than their Naim-equivalents? I never heard both CD94/960, just knew them by reputation and reviews

3) Between Naims' which is better? Naim CD3.5 with Flatcap vs Naim CD2? I can't afford the newer Naim CDP and I am not sure whether CD5-series can beat the two

Thnaks for the advise

abeye
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Opinion on Marantz CD94mk2 Empty Naim niam..

Post by 1541 Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Lets the discussion confine to the 1541 CD players only. In a non-Naim system Naim CDP sound as good as CD94 on a lesser system ,the CD94 is more versatile machine with digital output.In a Naim system,naim`s cdp are better at emphasizing PraT and integrity,it does not need any complicated test,most listeners would be more impressed with Naim CDP performance by direct comparison.Bear in mind,Naim is a few company who make the best CD players around.I dont dislike marantz/philips players,may be they sound best with other setup.Every Naim CD player i`ve heard has been good,i always found the more you invest the more you get especially with the recent series,with an external psu,remains very finest CDP money can buy.

You already have a decent meridian source digital playback system. You are delighted ,and you need slightly more PRAT .May be a naim cdp may works for you but auditioning is the only way.You may home-loan a demo unit from branches nearest to you.Hopefully you found your combination and you liked for what you heard. PRAT may be less meaningful if the musicality has to be a trade off with PRAT. Find the balance ,you may ended up trading more components and enduring a mentality/physical test.
Anwer:
1. Never had any exprience with 506..1 guy he told me it is a laid back player ,he was then settled with Na CD3 in a non-Naim enviroment.
2. CD94/CD960 can never sounded better than any Naim-equivalents[1541],Personal taste.One thing for sure they are more versatile [Digital output] and equiped with the best laser ever- CDM1].
3. CD3.5 [bit stream] vs CD2[multibit], CD3.5+Flapcap can never cross the CD2,unless CDX.[slight],with Xps upgrade,bags of performance simple beat CD5Xs range [HiCapped].

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by boxer Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:03 pm

I previously had the 506 18bit version, sounded too polite, mellow w/o dynamics or drive. Didn't keep it long b4 it went to a new home. & I didn't like the 12.4 mech, plasticky & not lasting but very affordable to replace with oem made lasers...I strongly believe the mech. used has a strong effect on the sound....just my opinion only.

boxer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 628
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by 1541 Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Vintage CDPlayer which adpot CDM0/1 mechs has one thing in common- Never sounded lightweight!

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by abeye Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Meridian in my system coupled with Monarchy DAC is not laidback (i think), more dynamic and upbeat compared to it standalone. DIP make the presentation more cohesive and sharper. But i agree that the CD system is not aggressive and PRATTY enough for hard rock.

I guess Naim cd player may be suitable as alternative/supplementary to my existing CD setup. May consider it if one come across (preferably CD2 or perhaps CD3.5+Flatcap). Need to stick with THE budget (that's the keyword). CDX and the newer batches (more moolah) etc would be out of question

Resist all temptation.....tongue

BTW, any other choice apart from Naim. Naim is pretty expensive adoi

abeye
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by 1541 Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:06 pm

its time to give Naim's CDP a green light.My best recomendation - CDX!

i think CD3.5+Flatcap does about 65% of a bare CDX . CD3.5+Hicap [does about 75%] and total cost around $4.8 K,a bare CDX cost around $5K+ ,given the price differences not significant enough to deter the choice for a very fine player CDX. The CDX is definitely better than CD5/Hicap also,CDX makes everything better than the CD3.5 did,and the improvements are really significant.
Of course the CD3.5 is not a bad player, but the CDX plays in another league..affraid

In the context of a Naim system,A bare CDX running alongside with Nac72/Hicap/140 or Nac102/Nap180 ,it produces a great sound.
but with an Xps it certainly produces a more sophisticated sound with greater insight into the music.

Standalone CDX on non-naim system, an Xps would certainly made improvements to the sounds

if budget is your main cocern, CD5/Flatcap would still d0 the boggie things pretty well ...The CDX is definitely better than CD5/Hi

Off the top of my head the XPS has 6 regulated digital power supplies inside while a Hicap having just only 2 !

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by abeye Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi 1541,

I may be able to squeeze RM3K only. If you found CD2 or CD3.5+Flatcap sound that price (wishful maybe), please let me know.

Regards

abeye
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by 1541 Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Tough mission:

General resale price of each
CD2: RM3500
CD3.5 :RM2500
FlatCap:RM1300

And CD2 blow the CD3.5/Flatcap big time. Up your budget i might be able to get you a CDX for less than RM4300. Shocked

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by abeye Sun May 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Take the plunge and ordered a used Naim CDX.
Very good player indeed, complementing the Meridian+Monarchy combo.
What surprise me and a good learning experience is that both combo though different, but only slightly.
Meridian is warmer, yet dynamic with some PRAT, I did not realise how good they are in dynamics until I got the CDX.
Naim has slightly dryer presentation and has sharper edges making it easier to follow, whereas Meridian is slighly rounded off and bigger soundstage, more relaxed.
Will be keeping both combo for foreseeable future

abeye
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by 1541 Sun May 06, 2012 9:29 pm

The CDX+TeddyXPS is a fantastic team.
Everyone knew the CDX was a good player,may be you didnt realise how good till added with an external power supply.My freind say "It has totally transformed into a lot more musical player than you had ever known it."

CDX + TeddyXPS = Excellent resolution, defined bass, get rid of top end harshness and the sound was much smoother.The sound was MUCH more "liquid", drawn LISTENER into the music. All these"combinations" may have got your toes tapping immediately ...

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content