Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one?

+9
kakibook
perlis1977
adrian4454
azri
llsaw
mugenfoo
bimmerman
chua55
flyboi
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Empty Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one?

Post by flyboi Tue May 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Good day guys! I'm thinking of the above transport. Wondering if anybody in KL already own one. Need your opinion, if you have listened to this cd transport. Below is the link.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/CD7SE/CD7SEEN.htm

Best regards.

flyboi

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Character sheet
Source(s): Cdm 1 transport with Dac
Amplification: Vacuum tube pre n adcom power amp
Speakers: Musse Audio

Back to top Go down

Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Empty Re: Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one?

Post by chua55 Tue May 25, 2010 5:37 pm

I was thinking of that but the digital transport hold me back.

why not consider the hiface or teralink. The readout is a bit slow but it is the best cd player matched to audio gd gears.

so far in KL I know of Ref 1, Ref 8 and Ref 5.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Empty Re: Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one?

Post by flyboi Tue May 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Atm, I'm not yet thinking of using pc as a source. Maybe in the future. Just that I need a transport for all my cd's.

flyboi

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Tue May 25, 2010 5:52 pm

If u own a audio-gd reference series, the cd7se is the best match with Audio-GD dac with the current mode output options. Peete from head-fi owns a unit and u may check with him his review.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Tue May 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Flyboy, thanks for sharing. I'm also looking for an affordable transport for my Levinson DAC. In this day and age it may not be wise to spend a huge amount of money on a super expensive CD transport just in case the days of CDs are really numbered. But of course for those of us with a large collection of CDs, we still need to extract the best from them CDs. The GD CD-7se may just be the ticket. Where is it sold? I reckon it should be around RM3K?

BTW it looks really well built and strangely familiar. Ayon comes to mind.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by flyboi Tue May 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Chua!

I've tried to find a review in the net, but so far I've found nothing. Do you have a link for Peete's review on the transport?

flyboi

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Tue May 25, 2010 6:07 pm

check this thread. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/416120/audio-gd-reference-1-dac-56-k-warning/2145#post_6662563

Peete is head-fi supremo and his comments are quite trustworthy but dont let him poison u.

I had my marantz cd63 modded with JZ-1 clock. The output of cd63 as transport compared to even Teralink X2 has big gap. Meaning even the X2 gives difference with the sound and it is noticeable. output now using wasapi.

Now my modded cd63 is meant for tube like playback.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyboi Tue May 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi bimmerman!

The cd7 se looks very robust with a r core transformer and a discrete power supply. I can see that it uses quite a good selected parts for digital circuits. From the pictures, I would say it will cost plenty more if it comes from an establish manufacturer. Audio gd has no distributor in Malaysia. The best way is to order direct from them.

flyboi

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by flyboi Tue May 25, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi Chua!

Thanks for the link! But it is for the REF 1. The best way is still to listen to the unit myself if it is possible here in KL.

flyboi

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Tue May 25, 2010 6:19 pm

For your info, the cd-7se has gone thru few generation of improvement with the latest 3 r-core transformers to giv independent power supply and the current mode digital output. Peete bought the ref 1 and cd transport later. U can use search function in the thread or the best pm him directly.

if u would like to audition the audio-gd product, u are welcome to my place. I can demo the current mode signal transformation with balance bridge signal output DAC and amplifier. If u are keen to buy audio-gd product, pls pm me.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyboi Tue May 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Hi Chua!

Thanks for the offer! Would you mind to tell me what audio gd products that you have?

flyboi

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Tue May 25, 2010 6:26 pm

currently on demo is Audio-GD REF 1 and CIA-400 with CAST cable. Someone had bought REF 5 and soon coming to malaysia is REF 8.

EDIT: someone has brought in REF 5 and CD7SE. Let me help to find out the owner of CD7SE. http://www.audio-gd.com/ConsignmentGlobal.htm

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyboi Tue May 25, 2010 6:33 pm

Hopefully he is from KL.

flyboi

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Tue May 25, 2010 7:32 pm

Just realised the CD-7se does not have an AES/EBU output, still, I think it would be interesting if I could audition it with my DAC via BNC and RCA.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 pm

bimmerman wrote:Flyboy, thanks for sharing. I'm also looking for an affordable transport for my Levinson DAC. In this day and age it may not be wise to spend a huge amount of money on a super expensive CD transport just in case the days of CDs are really numbered. But of course for those of us with a large collection of CDs, we still need to extract the best from them CDs. The GD CD-7se may just be the ticket. Where is it sold? I reckon it should be around RM3K?

To match your nice Marky Levin DAC, consider a Nagra CDT lah ... Wink

Anything else would be insulting to the ML DAC already !
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyboi Tue May 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi bimmerman!

Bnc would be better than rca. Based from what I read, the audio gd designer said that bnc is better than aes/ebu for digital transmission. With the audio gd transport you will have 2 types of digital output module. One is conventional output and another one is current output. I'm interested with the current output. And you also can try either rca or bnc with both modules.

flyboi

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 am

mugenfoo wrote:
bimmerman wrote:Flyboy, thanks for sharing. I'm also looking for an affordable transport for my Levinson DAC. In this day and age it may not be wise to spend a huge amount of money on a super expensive CD transport just in case the days of CDs are really numbered. But of course for those of us with a large collection of CDs, we still need to extract the best from them CDs. The GD CD-7se may just be the ticket. Where is it sold? I reckon it should be around RM3K?

To match your nice Marky Levin DAC, consider a Nagra CDT lah ... Wink

Anything else would be insulting to the ML DAC already !

Ayoyo Moogen, where to find this nagra CDT lah??? Surely not cheap no? I remember Adrian having some Nagra stuff but can't recall if it was the CDT. If got, you point me there will ya. Cheers!
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Wed May 26, 2010 8:05 am

Yeah.. casing looks similar to Ayon but that's bout it. Different transport, output stage, power supply, ie. everything.. DAC not mentioned.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed May 26, 2010 8:08 am

flyboi wrote:Hi bimmerman!

Bnc would be better than rca. Based from what I read, the audio gd designer said that bnc is better than aes/ebu for digital transmission. With the audio gd transport you will have 2 types of digital output module. One is conventional output and another one is current output. I'm interested with the current output. And you also can try either rca or bnc with both modules.

Hey Flyboy,

Agreed! My own listening test using 2 pairs of DH Labs Silversonic 75ohm digital cable of identical lengths, one cable terminated with BNC/RCA and the other RCA/RCA confirms that BNC is indeed superior to RCA. Quite a night and day difference actually.

I don't know if the reason was because the WBT 0144 RCA plugs I used were not true 75ohms. Had I used RCA plugs of true 75 ohms rating, the outcome could have been different.

I have not tried AES/EBU because my CD player does not have it but judging by the performance of BNC i'm getting now I'm totally comfortable with BNC.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed May 26, 2010 8:09 am

llsaw wrote:

Yeah.. casing looks similar to Ayon but that's bout it. Different transport, output stage, power supply, ie. everything.. DAC not mentioned.

and not forgetting the Ayon is top loading Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Icon_biggrin
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Wed May 26, 2010 3:05 pm

nagra cdt is like $13grand US dollar beb
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed May 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Yup, whaddaya you expect, it's a Mooganfoo class A component beb!!
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Wed May 26, 2010 7:28 pm

what the heck, google ebay ade a few options for transport from UK. Nak tak nak je. Apollo cdt100 looks nice, can match your dac i reckon. or want be ganas besides nagra, you can always walap mbl 1621A slightly cheaper than negro.. piss
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed May 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah the Apollo looks nice but sonically may not be up to par with the Nagra, Krell, Levinson, etc. Have you checked out the Audio GD website Azri? Alot of solid engineering inside. The CD-7se has the makings of something special beb. If only I can audition it with my DAC.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed May 26, 2010 8:49 pm

This is another interesting product at around the same price (a few hundred ringgit cheaper perhaps). The April Music Stello CDT100 Transport. Does not seem to boast the multiple transformers and engineering prowess of the AudioGD and possibly inferior sounding too but looks very well made, is top loading, has AES/EBU and an interesting alternative nonetheless. US$940 including shipping from ebay.

Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Stello11
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed May 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Pictured with matching DAC

Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Stello12
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed May 26, 2010 8:59 pm

azri wrote:nagra cdt is like $13grand US dollar beb

bimmerman wrote:Yup, whaddaya you expect, it's a Mooganfoo class A component beb!!

of coz mah, good thing no cheap, cheap thing no good !
Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Icon_twisted
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed May 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Hey Moofoo, what about the Stello? What do you think? And what do you think about the Audio GD R Core transformers and CAST current driven output thingy?

Hey Moofoo, nice new logo. Root means square izzit???

Very Happy
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Thu May 27, 2010 8:45 am

Hi Guys,
I just need to find out why we still prefer those current related transmission on Digital data, since Optical is available. Technically, Optical doesnt get effected with EMI and RFI at all compare to those that still require metal medium for transmission.

Anyway, I havent really try out the different from by Audio-GD DAC. But I like to listen to you guys experience. Thanks.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by perlis1977 Thu May 27, 2010 9:13 am

Hi all,

For Stello, you can refer to his comments: http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/search/label/Stello, it;s really a good buy transport.

perlis1977
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu May 27, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks perlis1977

Adrian, Toslink optical is considered inferior to RCA and BNC and should be the last resort connection according to the Mark Levinson user manual. Although Toslink transmits light and is not succeptable to EMI/RFI/Eddy currents etc. the conversion process of electrical to light pulses and back to electrical is the culprit here. Unless your gear has the ST Optical or also known as the AT&T optical used for high bandwidth fibre optic network connections and this, according to Mark Levinson, is a contender to AES/EBU which the Marky folks consider the best. Different schools of thoughts exist and perhaps someone else can explain it better than I can.

Mugenfoo, where are you???

Last edited by bimmerman on Thu May 27, 2010 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by flyboi Thu May 27, 2010 10:52 am

Rave systems is a distributor for the stello product in Malaysia. You might get a better price from them plus the local warranty. I've considered the stello. It has a good sound and better value based from most of the reviews in the net n mags. But I'm more inclined towards the audio gd because of the technical details. With this type of design in this audio gd transport it will cost much more from the asking price.

flyboi

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Thu May 27, 2010 11:16 am

this is getting interesting. current mode in digital transmission will ring a lot of bells.

the followig are the collection of articles written by designer of audio-gd himself. only for chinese read, u may use translate.google.com for some cumbersome read.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Article.htm

It talks about all kinds of product design philisophy such as Accuphase, Mark Levinsons, Krell etc and how the current mode transmission remains as its main product lineup.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu May 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Chua, i'm keen on the CD-7SE. If you got jalan or I can get a unit from you to test synergy with my Levinson DAC, do let me know.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Thu May 27, 2010 2:42 pm

rm6.6k with dac. wonder how much its cost just for the transport? must be half or more. i do aim this but hopefully manage to grab lite dac-ah 1st. i see recommendation from mr lampizatur on this dac, very good to run without any upgrading needed.
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu May 27, 2010 3:16 pm

Azri, FYI the Stello Transport and DAC is RM3.3K each from that Unker/Aunty shop at Darby Park.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 pm

bimmerman wrote:Azri, FYI the Stello Transport and DAC is RM3.3K each from that Unker/Aunty shop at Darby Park.

its Uncle "Edwin" and aunty "Agnes" ....
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by flyboi Thu May 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi bimmerman,

I'm considering the transport as well. In contact with the designer atm with few mails. They even have a custom order transport(cd7he) with separate power supply. The power supply is something like the top mark levinson's pre amp regenerative power supply. But have to pay almost 850usd extra.

flyboi

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Thu May 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Regenerative power supply is another highlight of the products. Mark Levin emphasize the importance of such thingy in its DAC too. The regenerative power supply also available in the Reference series DAC.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu May 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Flyboy, comparing the specifications of the CD-7SE and the Stello CDT100, my guess is that the CD-7SE is the superior one. But when it comes to availability and possibility of auditioning one of them, it would be the Stello as there are no CD-7SEs available in the country to audition yet.

I have no doubt that the CD-7SE could be a giant killer but then again how it sounds with my DAC would be another matter to consider as the cost of my stupid crazy DAC is forcing me to make it a permanent fixture in my system. As such, my entire Hi-fi universe would have to revolve around my DAC being the most expensive component I own.

Unless a CD-7SE turns up for audition soon I may just have to settle for the Stello. I read somewhere that Mr. Levinson had a part in designing the Stello CDT100. Very Happy

Maybe when you get the CD-7SE and (if) I get the Stello, we could meet up for a listening session. Then again maybe not as I may be hit hard with buyer's remorse after listening to your CD-7SE. Sad

Last edited by bimmerman on Thu May 27, 2010 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Thu May 27, 2010 7:51 pm

I hope it is not the other way around.

My opinion is if aint good, it aint sells. It will be flooded with your terms 'remorse'

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 pm

I don't think so Chua. Looking at the components, technology and technique involved in making the CD-7SE, there is no way the Stello can be better. Sure the Stello is designed with Mark Levinson's input and reviewers rate it highly but I'm pretty sure the CD-7SE will be the stronger performer here.

Looking at this:
Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Transp10

and then compare with this:
Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Cd7se310

I think it's quite clear to see who the winner is
Very Happy
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Thu May 27, 2010 9:14 pm

its clearly cd7se shows it all, but the cdt100 tells the tale racun.. racun.. What a Face
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kakibook Thu May 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Wish that CD-7SE comes with a glass top and can keep looking at the internal for days.

kakibook
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2009-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by flyboi Thu May 27, 2010 9:35 pm

With the cd7se, you have 2 outputs. So 2 different flavours Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Icon_biggrin .

flyboi

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chaos32 Thu May 27, 2010 10:43 pm

kakibook wrote:Wish that CD-7SE comes with a glass top and can keep looking at the internal for days.

Maybe if u ask Kingwa he will oblige. Audio GD cd-7se transport -- Opinion wanted! Do you own one? Icon_smile
chaos32
chaos32

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Fri May 28, 2010 12:16 am

bimmerman wrote:I don't think so Chua. Looking at the components, technology and technique involved in making the CD-7SE, there is no way the Stello can be better. Sure the Stello is designed with Mark Levinson's input and reviewers rate it highly but I'm pretty sure the CD-7SE will be the stronger performer here.

I think it's quite clear to see who the winner is
Very Happy

Its dangerous to judge just based on looks alone. Here's a real-world example:

Krell KAV-300i. whats the Toroidal rated to ? 400VA ? Capacitor bank is XXXX uF ? vs. a KAV-400xi with much larger Toroidal, & bigger capacitor bank rating. Even the 400xi has a beefier and heavier chassis than the KAV-300i. The KAV-400xi totally feels like a denser and heavier piece of hardware than the KAV-300i.

But the laughter stops when the 2 amps are placed side by side and they are tested in the bass and slam/dynamics dept.

Those few people who've made this side-by-side comparison will know what I'm referring to.

Moral of the story: You don't know until u test them out and have a listen... & don't write off any piece of equipment just on looks alone, although its perfectly human to judge a book by its cover. Happens to the best of us.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hughesths Fri May 28, 2010 12:45 am

Fully agreed with MF, there are many equipments with 'heavy' components and more advanced technology being outperformed sonically by some 'underrated' equipments.
It's too dangerous to judge a book by its cover especially in Hifi. Only on-field comparisons do the judgement.

hughesths
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri May 28, 2010 6:00 am

what are the reasons of having such circuit in a transport where in the end the dac that colors the sound, not to mention the amplifier?? will there be variations on all those raw output?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri May 28, 2010 8:08 am

I'm pretty sure my DAC will not colour the sound Azri. But agree with MooFoo about judging without first listening. Which I why I cannot blindly order the CD-7SE based on reputation alone. I really need to hear it first. Hope to test the Stello soon if uncle Edwin and Aunty Agnes allows. Will report...

MooFoo, as for the 300i vs 400xi, it's been reported that the 400xi although being more powerful on paper, gives the perception of less power because it channels it's power towards other areas of the audible spectrum which contributes to refinement. Bass less distorted thus less slammy for instance, so says most of the reviews.

Me, i'm happy with the 300i mini-godzilla factor. Very Happy
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next