Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Vintage vs. new turntables

+16
kamen555
hoyhoysum
bimmerman
sflam
wingman
hazy
mugenfoo
tycham
azri
WongKN
ryder
wabun
car o scope
bassraptor
cmboy
fizi
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Vintage vs. new turntables - Page 3 Empty Re: Vintage vs. new turntables

Post by brabusm Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:05 pm

mugenfoo wrote:the LP12 is a very good design. But many many modern TTs have since surpassed the LP12 as it is the nature of things to be always be improved over time.

Nothing stays "the best in the world" for long as boundaries are always being pushed, new techniques, new materials, new art & science of building better stuff.

Its ok to enjoy vintage gear and appreciate them, but just don't get caught in the mindset that any one model can be the "final solution" or "best forever".

I wouldn't use the term surpass as there has been a shift in user preference of late into a different type of sound that is typically faster, "brighter", less air and at times it is also thinner compared to the full bloom lush analogue sound of yesteryear.

There is no right or wrong in hi-fi, just the listener's preference.

Hence if you ask me, the LP12 may have been surpassed by modern TTs with excellent technical specs if you listen with your eyes. Hence, I doubt that the LP12 has been surpassed in any way as it is still one of the most musical turntables around if it is properly setup. The older LP12s tend to have this tendency and the newer LP12s (like the latest ones) really sound a lot more modern catering to the shift in musical preference towards a more digital sound. A good example would be say a high mass modern TT, if you have listened to one before, you will crawl back to the LP12 et al. The high mass units are very clinical sounding, tight, fast and are usually very transparent with excellent resolution but you cannot listen to it for long without your ears getting tired.

If you have a chance, try listening to a properly setup Linn LP12 + Ittok (with Valhalla and perhaps trampolin) and you will certainly be amazed by its musical qualities. If modern TTs can't match the older ones for its musicality, then I don't see a real reason to change. As for me, I am now running an old Oracle that is simply magical. It's one up on the LP12 hence the upgrade.

Btw, what TT to you use?

brabusm
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3