Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Vintage vs. new turntables

+16
kamen555
hoyhoysum
bimmerman
sflam
wingman
hazy
mugenfoo
tycham
azri
WongKN
ryder
wabun
car o scope
bassraptor
cmboy
fizi
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Vintage vs. new turntables - Page 2 Empty Re: Vintage vs. new turntables

Post by WongKN Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:33 am

Note : there is a limit to everything. Action comes if it is exceeded.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:43 am

WongKN wrote:Note : there is a limit to everything. Action comes if it is exceeded.

ok but the limit not be double standard .
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:24 am

Hi Fizi, may i ask you some question? Are you the type,

1) Loves to diy/tweek a lot...
2) Able to repair and trouble shoot electrical and mechanical issue..
3) You just like to listen to music
4) You loves to see the platter goes round and round and put some toy like your toy soldier or your toy car....

Well if you are 1 and 2 maybe 3 get a vintage and if you more to 3 get a rega..m
For your info asia sound is getting in the new RP1 said to be better than P2 why not give an audition..

Question 4 just came to my mind when writing this thread, it reminds me when i am young but question 3 applies then...
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by kamen555 Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:37 am

hoyhoysum wrote:

For your info asia sound is getting in the new RP1 said to be better than P2 why not give an audition..

Waiting for them to come up with the RP5, then tunggu to sapu P5s being traded by people for the new product. Hehehe...ah the fate of the have-nots...

kamen555
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:17 pm

Limit is usually to ISO standard lar. Where got 'double' standard one ?
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:43 pm

kawan-kawan,

Other than Rega at Asia Sound, (been there, excellent service from Eddie and Michael, even belum beli/not decided yet) ada ape lagi showroom yang 'customer friendly'. With some time to kill, I went to my 'local' hifi shop newly open in Kota Damansara (need not naming names here) last Wednesday looking at lowest rung of a German TT make (not even asking about the higher-speced one).

Needless to say, one question one answer session with absolutely no interest to sell Not even a forced smile..... so the interest absolutely waned.
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:31 pm

zeebee wrote:kawan-kawan,

Other than Rega at Asia Sound, (been there, excellent service from Eddie and Michael, even belum beli/not decided yet) ada ape lagi showroom yang 'customer friendly'. With some time to kill, I went to my 'local' hifi shop newly open in Kota Damansara (need not naming names here) last Wednesday looking at lowest rung of a German TT make (not even asking about the higher-speced one).

Needless to say, one question one answer session with absolutely no interest to sell Not even a forced smile..... so the interest absolutely waned.

if your timing is good, you might actually bump into Michael there.... he has "migrated" over from ASia sound already.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:38 pm

One Micheal here, another Micheal there, maybe very soon some Michell, maybe Michelle...mungkin Michelle turntable ada ah?.. Could be in future some Mr Lin selling Linn...
Hahah to Bolehwood!.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:41 pm

You can go over to Audio Image. They have a range of turntables there, from reasonably priced to unreasonably priced ! Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:02 pm

WongKN wrote:You can go over to Audio Image. They have a range of turntables there, from reasonably priced to unreasonably priced ! Very Happy

Thanks, just googled the location, may do so this weekend..
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Lately I've taken a liking to the quirky looks of the picture frame plinth and flower petal platter of the Rega P7. Not sure how much a P7 costs but how would it fare against a legendary classic like the Linn LP-12?

Or should I just maxx out my Thorens TD150II with mods and a new arm and cartridge?
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:40 pm

Of the 3, the LP12 would give you the best sound. Also with the biggest potential for upgrade. Just limited by how deep your pocket is. Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:09 pm

yeah..
honestly choose lp12 and thoren more then rega. cheers
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Was really hoping the P7 would be outstanding. Really like the radical looks. That crazy looking platter looks like it would really make the thing sound good.

Well anyway, I'll just keep the TD150 then and maybe install a semi-expensive cartridge like a Shure V15 perhaps. Very Happy
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Actually I am not sure between Thorens TD150 and Rega P7. Maybe other forumers might have more relevant and actual experience with them. But the LINN LP12 did not get its fearsome reputation as one of the top TTs in history for no reason. It is not perfect, especially in the bass area but that thing is so established and there is a very clearly upgrade path which takes you VERY high. The final configuration LP12 with Trampolin, Lingo, Ekoz arm and a high end catridge, from what I have read, really do deliver a sonic quality that allows it to compete against the big guys without embarassment, eventhough it won't be the winner in all cases. IMHO, you need to go to TTs like Oracle Delphi, Clearaudio Reference, etc before you establish a clear superiority. I apologise to Rega fans but I am afraid I do not feel the P7 is up to that level yet, though from limited listening, I DO feel it is an excellent turntable in its own right.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:39 pm

Wait till you hear VPI Classic .... Very Happy

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1237
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:27 pm

WongKN wrote:Actually I am not sure between Thorens TD150 and Rega P7. Maybe other forumers might have more relevant and actual experience with them. But the LINN LP12 did not get its fearsome reputation as one of the top TTs in history for no reason. It is not perfect, especially in the bass area but that thing is so established and there is a very clearly upgrade path which takes you VERY high. The final configuration LP12 with Trampolin, Lingo, Ekoz arm and a high end catridge, from what I have read, really do deliver a sonic quality that allows it to compete against the big guys without embarassment, eventhough it won't be the winner in all cases. IMHO, you need to go to TTs like Oracle Delphi, Clearaudio Reference, etc before you establish a clear superiority. I apologise to Rega fans but I am afraid I do not feel the P7 is up to that level yet, though from limited listening, I DO feel it is an excellent turntable in its own right.

but i side by side lp12 vahlala 2gn board and ittok arm vs technic sl1200m2 sme v arm and power supply ..became suprise . try it. is true
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:41 am

hazy wrote:but i side by side lp12 vahlala 2gn board and ittok arm vs technic sl1200m2 sme v arm and power supply ..became suprise . try it. is true

And the surprise being? Pray tell kind sir of great wealth.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:48 am

WongKN wrote:Actually I am not sure between Thorens TD150 and Rega P7. Maybe other forumers might have more relevant and actual experience with them. But the LINN LP12 did not get its fearsome reputation as one of the top TTs in history for no reason. It is not perfect, especially in the bass area but that thing is so established and there is a very clearly upgrade path which takes you VERY high. The final configuration LP12 with Trampolin, Lingo, Ekoz arm and a high end catridge, from what I have read, really do deliver a sonic quality that allows it to compete against the big guys without embarassment, eventhough it won't be the winner in all cases. IMHO, you need to go to TTs like Oracle Delphi, Clearaudio Reference, etc before you establish a clear superiority. I apologise to Rega fans but I am afraid I do not feel the P7 is up to that level yet, though from limited listening, I DO feel it is an excellent turntable in its own right.

Well, i'm already kinda broke after my last adventure into digital exotica. That souped up LP12 will cost how much? Hmmm... Maybe just a standard LP12 and work on it when budget allows. Just like buying a clunker BMW and plonking in a V8 when budget allows. Would a standard LP12 with a ok cartridge like a Sure V15 or Audio Technica AT440ML beat the Rega P7 you think?

Last edited by bimmerman on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:50 am

bassraptor wrote:Wait till you hear VPI Classic .... Very Happy

Say my good man, at the recent AV show at the Marriott, Audiomatic had a VPI of some sort on demo. Was that a scout or a classic? It sure sounded fine.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:51 am

bimmerman wrote:

Well, i'm already kinda broke after my last adventure into digital exotica. That souped up LP12 will cost how much? Hmmm... Maybe just a standard LP12 and work on it when budget allows. Just like buying a clunker BMW and plonking in a V8 when budget allows. Would a standard LP12 with a ok cartridge like a Sure V15 or Audio Technica AT440ML beat the Rega P7 you think?

Yes in mm line
Lp12 , v15
Thorens 160 sme 3009 v15
thoren 125 sme 3009 v15
all can beat rega p7 or p9 . that my experiance . sorry rega fan .
If u think p7 can beat it , try praying the kind sir .
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:54 am

bimmerman wrote:

Say my good man, at the recent AV show at the Marriott, Audiomatic had a VPI of some sort on demo. Was that a scout or a classic? It sure sounded fine.

Wasn't there so can't say .. But if it looked big, with wood plinth, then Classic ...

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1237
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:59 am

Just to intrude about Rega arm and Shure V15 type cartridge. From my exp, its not a good match if its supposed to track at 1gram+ VTF. Yes, it'll play but not an ideal compliance.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:03 am

bassraptor wrote:
bimmerman wrote:

Wasn't there so can't say .. But if it looked big, with wood plinth, then Classic ...

Does yours suck ? Oops, err..., I meant to ask if your VPI Classic is the model with the vacumn platter Razz
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:07 am

bimmerman wrote:

An LP12 with the full works is DISGUSTINGLY expensive. But you did ask about sound quality only so I left out the money part Very Happy But one of the advantage of the LP12, is that it can be incrementally upgraded and each upgrade brings the sound quality higher and higher. Alternately, you can also 'f' all these upgrade path nonsense and go straight for one of those Roksan Xerxes, Oracle Delphi 4 or 5, Goldmund Studio, etc. With reminds me, there's a pretty good selection of used (traded-in) TT at Audio Image. All of the above including a Nottingham TT. Laughing
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:45 am

bassraptor wrote:
bimmerman wrote:

advantage ....can put small screw drive . stylus solution , record brusher ,cartriges aligment and anything errrr..........heeee
some people like big plinth and heavy platter ...
do u see XL Kuzma Stabi ....So big Platter ....and bearing .then chasis ...ermmm.tq Shocked
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Hmmm... Audio Image... Don't wanna go there. One wrong turn and I'll walk away with my credit cared maxxxed out again. I'm not in KL at the moment luckily... But now I have bigger problems to worry about, like fighting the urge to go to Adelphi. Arrrrrgh! It sucks to be poor!!!
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:53 pm

the TD 150 can sound really good if its just set up properly and with a decent cartridge. Problem is, the Tp13A arm doesnt really quite follow the Baerwald geometry, the headshell fitting is too short. So some modification would be required.

Otherwise, SME arm is also a good pairing with TD150. But "not original" anymore .

But the basic platter and chassis suspension system of the TD150 will beat any modern Rega today. Hazy sure will agree on this one.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:29 pm

mugenfoo wrote:the TD 150 can sound really good if its just set up properly and with a decent cartridge. Problem is, the Tp13A arm doesnt really quite follow the Baerwald geometry, the headshell fitting is too short. So some modification would be required.

Otherwise, SME arm is also a good pairing with TD150. But "not original" anymore .

But the basic platter and chassis suspension system of the TD150 will beat any modern Rega today. Hazy sure will agree on this one.

Comfrim bro . i agree
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:42 pm

bimmerman wrote:Hmmm... Audio Image... Don't wanna go there. One wrong turn and I'll walk away with my credit cared maxxxed out again. I'm not in KL at the moment luckily... But now I have bigger problems to worry about, like fighting the urge to go to Adelphi. Arrrrrgh! It sucks to be poor!!!

Maxed out credit card ? What did you buy the last time ? But you can't don't go there. There are lots of great used TTs there crying out for your name la ! Laughing

I heard Adelphi might be safer nowadays since apparently a number of the hifi shops has moved out already. Is that right ?

The Nottingham TT was playing at Audio Image just now. Nice sound !!! In between songs, it was calling out your name ! Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:52 pm

Oooooh,... Mr WongKN, you're makin' me dizzy! drunken I'm getting a bit of a deja vu moment here... Last I remember, it was your voice that guided me into the evil world of digital exotica. tongue I'm still paying for that last episode you know and i'm still missing another vital component to make my digital complete. Still can't find that silver spinner to complement the processor. And when I find it, i'll surely be ruined. And now analogue? Nooooo! Don't wanna fall into that trap again.

But lucky for me I've got Mugenfoo to rescue me this time. What's that you say Mugen? TD150 good enough to take on the Regas? Cool! Maybe just some tonearm cabling for that Baerwald in-compliant Tp13 and a Shure V15 this time then. Very Happy Screw Baerwald, I'm with Stevenson. Very Happy
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:54 pm

BTW, went to Adelphi. Not tempted at all! cheers Must be that crazy strong Sing$. Makes toilet paper out of the Ringgit. Really not worth buying anything in Singapore these days.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:40 pm

bimmerman wrote:

it was a Euro Audio Team Forte S turntable.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:32 pm

sflam wrote:
bimmerman wrote:

it was a Euro Audio Team Forte S turntable.

new competitor i think from slovakia ..not bad looking , sound and price ??
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:27 pm

bimmerman wrote:
But lucky for me I've got Mugenfoo to rescue me this time. What's that you say Mugen? TD150 good enough to take on the Regas? Cool! Maybe just some tonearm cabling for that Baerwald in-compliant Tp13 and a Shure V15 this time then. Very Happy Screw Baerwald, I'm with Stevenson. Very Happy

Actually the Thorens is not really good anymore.. ahem ahem ... so , can i buy it off you for RM200 ?
Surprised
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:51 pm

mugenfoo wrote:
bimmerman wrote:

Actually the Thorens is not really good anymore.. ahem ahem ... so , can i buy it off you for RM200 ?
Surprised

hey mugen ! i dah cop 1st rm 201 .00 ehem ehem
bimmer yours p7 drife broooooo ..ehem ehem
heeeeeeeeeee
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:31 am

i bantah balik your cop dgn offer RM205 !!
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:41 am

mugenfoo wrote:i bantah balik your cop dgn offer RM205 !!

u take platter i take body and motor ...half2
oraite keh keh keh.

fizi ,,whatever some vintage turntable still win...........yeah
right mugen ? ehem ...ehem

vintage is analog ....analog is vintage .....
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:34 am

ok, i post kat ebay, you pigi cop kat sana. price murah je, cuma us$1 starting bid. tapi price dah capai us$355 skrang. happy bidding Razz
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:46 am

bimmerman wrote:ok, i post kat ebay, you pigi cop kat sana. price murah je, cuma us$1 starting bid. tapi price dah capai us$355 skrang. happy bidding Razz

maby mugen dah start biding. i still fine where are u post .......bimmer ( slowtalk belakang urs 150 amacam ) study
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:12 am

usd150 mana cukup ? bimmerman want to buy Oracle Delphi 5 lar. Tambah at least satu kosong lagi bolih la !! Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:58 pm

hazy wrote:

oraite keh keh keh.

Bro hazy - waiting to collect this TT yeahhhhh ...

http://www.elitestereo.netfirms.com/turntable.htm Twisted Evil
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:27 pm

WongKN wrote:usd150 mana cukup ? bimmerman want to buy Oracle Delphi 5 lar. Tambah at least satu kosong lagi bolih la !! Very Happy

Ok, kepada sesiapa yang berminat, sila hubungi ajen saya Encik Wong KN.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:34 pm

Err... bimmerman, you do know that my commission structure is based on the MAA model right ? Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:55 am

fizi wrote:
hazy wrote:

oraite keh keh keh.

Bro hazy - waiting to collect this TT yeahhhhh ...

http://www.elitestereo.netfirms.com/turntable.htm Twisted Evil

yeke ....fuhhhhhhh campion 2 bro......jgn tak jadi .....kena turun ipoh ni.
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by don_nad Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Still using my 30 yrs old LP12 Pre Valhalla with curve LVV Basik arm. Thats what the expert advised me to buy when my first venture into HiFi. Dont bother to upgrade. Will continue play untill arm patah. Have used and damage a few cartridges, Linn K5, A&R C77, E77, P77,Rega R100,Ortofon??, Grado Ft... Now still use K5 body with AT95e stylus with Grado Black as spare. Sometime hear noise frm LP12. Could be Cicak.....under the plinth.

don_nad

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:12 pm

the LP12 is a very good design. But many many modern TTs have since surpassed the LP12 as it is the nature of things to be always be improved over time.

Nothing stays "the best in the world" for long as boundaries are always being pushed, new techniques, new materials, new art & science of building better stuff.

Its ok to enjoy vintage gear and appreciate them, but just don't get caught in the mindset that any one model can be the "final solution" or "best forever".
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:00 pm

How la its sound...cant wait to test it hmmmm...Pioneer PL 90 hopefully can outperform new generation TT .heheheheh but not with hi end TT laa

Vintage vs. new turntables - Page 2 Dsc00211 Twisted Evil
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by brabusm Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:30 pm

I love vintage Turntables. They are so musical. Over the years, I have run the LP12, Oracle Delphi, Garrard 401 and even newer tables like the Rega P3-24. If I had the space, I would have have kept the first three (4th was sold) but only ended up with one.

Being obsolete, parts for the Garrard are always tricky and not as readily available as the Linn or the Oracle.

If you like amazing vocals and musicality, go for a suspended turntable such as the Linn + Ittok + Grado (prestige low output is good value) combo and it will mesmerize you for days and nights. Make you set aside a budget for a matching phono stage. One of the best budget tube phono is the Project TubeBox, adequate lushness + gain to cope with the cartridge (or save the $$ for a 2nd hand igher end Phonostage). The Linn makes the perfect platform for you to familiarize yourself with turntables and dont be afraid to get the older ones as they tend to be more musical than the newer versions. However, i must qualify that this coud be skewed to my musical taste as the newer variants tend to be faster, "harder"d and brighter sounding whilst the older unes are slower paced, airier and are much warmer despite being a tad muddy which adds on the the "magic" that is surreal. The Oracle is in a league of its own as a suspended turntable.

The Garrard 401 is respectable if your game is large scale classicals, rock and Jazz as that classic TT can really rock with pace with its idler drive packing in the punch. The matching tonearm is likely to be the SME 3009 or most people just plant in a RB300. If you are planning to use a MC cartridge, get the RB300 as the tonearm mass of the SME 3009 is not suitable for mounting MC Cartridges. The plinth design is critical for the 401 as isolation and mass are the all important elements to absorb all the rumble of the motor as is the separate PSU for a more stable current feed into the over-specced motor. This is fast becoming a cult TT in Japan.

When I was last at Audio Image, I saw all three turntables for sale ie the Oracle/SME345, Garrard/SME3009 and Linn/Ittok. Keep an open mind and let your ears be the judge of it.

Good luck with your purchase.

brabusm
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by thegoodarcher Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:22 pm

for once, i agree with mugenfoo:) all in good spirit.

thegoodarcher
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next