Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Turntable lovers - Please Gather Here!

+47
dayalan86
hazy
boxer
CT-Boy
llsaw
hangleng
zeebee
atoz
jcwlow
larren
SVI3206A
7810sam
jemmi
Cooltube
kamen555
ora-ito
adrian4454
utellme
Wan Azami Hamzah
sting
jazzman
jazzy939
uncle_vic
jazzfunksoulmusic
aldrich
yehlai
wingman
wabun
highcut28
kulaiboy
KFM
music1st
bimmerman
azri
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
bassraptor
seanlee731107
atlasiris
WongKN
fizi
foomarnhing
RobA4
cmboy
ryder
car o scope
alex
mugenfoo
51 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Turntable lovers - Please Gather Here! - Page 2 Empty Re: Turntable lovers - Please Gather Here!

Post by bassraptor Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:40 am

azri wrote:come on guys

between a p3 & creek cd60?
both starts at au699, mint condition

which will you prefer to buy?

that's like apples and oranges, but i'll take the p3 ... but that's just me. your needs might differ.

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Turntable lovers - Please Gather Here! - Page 2 Empty Re: Turntable lovers - Please Gather Here!

Post by bimmerman Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:59 am

Azri, ask yourself, Do you have more LPs or CDs? And what version of the P3 is on offer? P3? P3-24? P3-24 with TT-PSU?
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:19 am

I have a vintage Thorens TD-150MKII in stock form and standard TP-13a arm. Called the Kugelarm in German it has a cute counter weight in the same of a ball. Some say the Linn LP12 design was copied from the TD-150 and I believe it to be true as the TD-150 debut in 1965.

Did not need an expensive cartridge as most of my LPs are old. I'm using an Ortofon OM-30 Super. I find this cartridge to be the most forgiving on old LPs and inner grove tracking. Very little skipping and very high tolerrance for damaged LPs. Very little distortion in the inner groves compared to my Audio Technica AT-101.

I've got a large collection of LPs from my late Grandpa and mostly easy listening orchestral works from Mantovani, Percy Faith, Ronnie Aldridge and such. Very nostalgic as Mantovani smply sounds horrible on CD.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:48 am

bimmerman wrote:I have a vintage Thorens TD-150MKII in stock form and standard TP-13a arm. Called the Kugelarm in German it has a cute counter weight in the same of a ball. Some say the Linn LP12 design was copied from the TD-150 and I believe it to be true as the TD-150 debut in 1965.

Did not need an expensive cartridge as most of my LPs are old. I'm using an Ortofon OM-30 Super. I find this cartridge to be the most forgiving on old LPs and inner grove tracking. Very little skipping and very high tolerrance for damaged LPs. Very little distortion in the inner groves compared to my Audio Technica AT-101.

I've got a large collection of LPs from my late Grandpa and mostly easy listening orchestral works from Mantovani, Percy Faith, Ronnie Aldridge and such. Very nostalgic as Mantovani smply sounds horrible on CD.

Wow !! I just restored one EXACTLY as above... TD150 mk2, Kugelarm tp13a, and with a Shure M55E head. This is my dad's TT and it was recently re-comissioned and partnered with the KAV-300i.

But the total length (with the shure head) actually isnt long enough so am going to test out a more "modern day" cartridge to see if can get the proper alignment with it or not.
Also i suspect the M55E cartridge is compliant on the 60s cutting angle of 15degrees whereas in the mid 70s, the LP industry changed to a 20deg. angle

high five !
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:01 am

Moogen, you're the brother i never had.

Hey, while you're at it, google up the stevensen protractor, print it out and align your cartridge. The Stevenson protractor gives extra bias towards inner grove tracking, plus the very forgiving Ortofon OM30 Super and it's a very forgiving setup for old LPs.

Among the things I still need to do is to build a better frame and a better base board. For now, my Telefunkened Cary CD300 sounds leageus ahead with the 300i.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:05 am

WongKN wrote:No, you should take that statement literally at face value.

...reference because to you, live sound means a live concert, with the band singing into a PA system with thousands of fans screaming. So there is no live sound to form the reference. Put another way, I wonder how long you will last if I put on a violin concerto CD into your system. Very Happy

Thus the appropriateness of Mr Spock's statement "it is impossible to discuss without a common frame of reference". It would be like the never ending argument of cars, which is better. Or how some people can listen to new orleans jazz while others seem to like Linkin' Park. Very Happy

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am re-iterating this again: The subject of contention is that the violin or piano or any instrument, given the ENVIRONMENT that it is played in & at different times, WILL always sound different. And no two performances (live or studio or otherwise) is truly replicable. Hence There is no absolute reference point to the above.

Doesnt matter if its New Orleans Jazz or Linkin Park or Rickie Lee Jones or Placido Domingo. BTW, @wongkn, let's not get into personal musical tastes or preference or puting violin CDs here and there. We agree on this ya ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:09 am

WongKN wrote:In this case, your logic and your arguments makes perfect sense and it makes sense that you can't understand or identify with the idea of a 'live sound' as reference because to you, live sound means a live concert, with the band singing into a PA system with thousands of fans screaming. So there is no live sound to form the reference. Put another way, I wonder how long you will last if I put on a violin concerto CD into your system. Very Happy

One more thing, please do not stereotype me as I would hold you in higher esteem and no want to stereotype you or your kind of music either.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:40 am

WongKN wrote:Car o scope, do go ahead. You won't regret. Or wait. Actually you might regret because you will probably go bonkers hunting for LP versions of your favourite albums. Then later, you will want to upgrade that TT. Then you will surely go broke and you will blame all of us here because we poisoned you. Twisted Evil

Yes.. This is the reason that I am thinking of holding back.
Later, use Mopiko and Anti Fungus cream also cannot stop the itchy hand.

An example is one of our friends here who is probably halfway in the process that you described.. hahahahahaha.. Razz
He has got a Jennifer Warnes LP and set up TT with his KAV-300i recently.. hahahahahaha... Razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:21 pm

bimmerman wrote:Azri, ask yourself, Do you have more LPs or CDs? And what version of the P3 is on offer? P3? P3-24? P3-24 with TT-PSU?

encik bimmer, off course cds. as i can remember, not a single LP i owned hehe. anyway whats the diff on those 3 versions of p3? i ask local store for brand new p3 its $1100, ca phono stage will cost around $399, didnt get the chance to ask for rega phono stage as i saw one just sitting there like a slayer to p1, hooked to rotel integrated & driven by proAc floorstander.

how do you tell the diff between those 3 versions?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Aiyah, why did you think I am stereotyping you or your kind of music ? I just stated an observation based on the privilege of having visited your CD collection. And based on that observation, I just explained a further observation on why I think you have your opinions on the absolute sound versus recorded sound and the like. Observations and opinions are just that : observations & opinions. As the joke goes, like ****, everyone will have one. More importantly for me at least, is we understand they are made based on the experience that is currently available. And they can and will change when new experience or knowledge comes along.

Music tastes, perceptions, the absolute sound, etc, are all similar. Observations, opinions, and preferences based on the culmination of the experiences or knowledge we currently have. The most important is to understand that it can change when we experience or learn new things. Of course the sad thing is if someone might not want to experience or learn. But you are clearly not like that at all, always eager to learn new things. So just like what I expect of my observations/opinions, I feel that your ideas & viewpoints will probably change in the future. So I am just saying that right now our observations/viewpoints with regard to the absolute sound is very different. To discuss further will mean a never-ending series of points and counter-points and I think both of us has our valid views. So I want to leave this discussion as what it is and perhaps we can revisit it again in the future when both of us have gathered more experience/learned new things.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:15 pm

Guys, I think your views about it all have gone out of context and focus from about turntable equipment and associated ancilliaries. Can we get back on track, or I'll opt out too..
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:49 pm

Yes, like I said, I personally will be focussing back on the TT now. For e.g. my 2nd last post to car o scope. Of course I can't guarantee I won't be the guy who is actually doing the most poisoning lar ! Laughing

I find it sad that most integrated amps no longer offer a phono stage, they used to come with integrated phono stage. Talking about this, one of the best deals for a phono stage is the Audio Research PH1. I remember there were several offered in both this forum as well as the original hifi4sale blogspot, around RM2k or even lower. One was offered for as low as RM1.9k. Anyone looking for a good phono stage, something that can last years of upgrade, I would recommend to look for this phono pre.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:22 pm

My integrated has no phono stage. So, I have a phono preamp.
Some brands do offer phono stage in integrated amp as option.
Anyway, not sure such thing available over here in Msia.

Those 'blip pop blip pop' sounds coming from the LP are due to dusts?
How you guys clean the LPs so that dont have those pop pop sounds?
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by music1st Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Hello all...

After two pages of discussions and you guys are still raving about ledgendry (OLD) and so comonly talked about record players. What about newer ones??? Clearaudio (Emotion,Peformance...etc), Rokasn, Sota, VPI, Kuzma, Walker, TW, Mitchell .... (man this part is difficult) so many to mention.
What about cartidges??? any comments here??? Very good MM and a regular MC on those setup that had been mentioned??

music1st

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA4 Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Actually, and for that matter, what are the TTs that are available locally?

I know that Rega, Clearaudio and Pro-Ject are available locally. What else??

RobA4
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:46 pm

WongKN wrote:I find it sad that most integrated amps no longer offer a phono stage, they used to come with integrated phono stage.

The Rega Elicit integrated amp has a phono stage option, MC or MM. There might be other integrateds that have built-in phono stages that I am not aware of.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:09 pm

music1st wrote:Hello all...

After two pages of discussions and you guys are still raving about ledgendry (OLD) and so comonly talked about record players. What about newer ones??? Clearaudio (Emotion,Peformance...etc), Rokasn, Sota, VPI, Kuzma, Walker, TW, Mitchell .... (man this part is difficult) so many to mention.
What about cartidges??? any comments here??? Very good MM and a regular MC on those setup that had been mentioned??

Kawan... I sense you roll eyes about "old" record players. How about you contributing or sharing your experience on any of those makes, if happen to own any. Forums are about sharing you know...2 way traffic, not one way street. I'd love to own a Michell in future, just that I've to order one, perhaps pay in advance, take a long leave, perhaps some no-pay leave buy, a return air ticket to and from UK, tour and hog that 50kg back with the risk of paying very excess baggage on return home. Sorry, I don't think I'd like dealing with the regional distributor, if any.

I like the Denon DL-160 sonic quality and a great match to any medium mass Rega arm. This cartridge is quite under-estimated AFAIK.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:21 pm

azri wrote:
bimmerman wrote:Azri, ask yourself, Do you have more LPs or CDs? And what version of the P3 is on offer? P3? P3-24? P3-24 with TT-PSU?

encik bimmer, off course cds. as i can remember, not a single LP i owned hehe. anyway whats the diff on those 3 versions of p3? i ask local store for brand new p3 its $1100, ca phono stage will cost around $399, didnt get the chance to ask for rega phono stage as i saw one just sitting there like a slayer to p1, hooked to rotel integrated & driven by proAc floorstander.

Encik Zri,

I'm no expert on Rega so please somebody correct me if i'm wrong. First there was the Rega Planar3 then came the P3 which was then replaced with the P3-24 and finally we have the latest glossy multi coloured choice P3-24 with TT-PSU power supply/speed control package in red, green, blue, yellow, pink etc.

If you're dealer includes the TT-PSU then it would be excellent value for money as you can use it to change speeds from 33.3 to 45 rpm without messing with the belt and pulley.

I think something like that lah. Smile
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:26 pm

blip-pop sound can be due to one of 3 reasons. 1 is dust. This is why anti-static is a good thing for records (even got anti-static gun that you shoot against a record). A good record brush is quite indispensible here. The 2nd is dirt. This is dirt embedded inside the groove. The best way is to clean using a special fluid and then use a vacumn based cleaning machine to vacumn out the liquid (and the dirt along with it). The last one is due to scratches. This one, nothing much you can do though some catridges like Benz Micros are quite 'kind' to scratches (they won't affect the sound that much).

Music1st, I myself am using both an old and a newer TT and I have some experience with some of those TTs you listed. But most of the forumers here have been focussing on the Rega, LP12, etc so I participated along with what little I can contribute. Didn't think it would be polite of me to talk about some other, higher end TTs if no-one is interested.

But since you are interested, I myself have quite a bit of experience with Clearaudio TTs (almost all models). I am quite interested (read : bekside itchy) to replace my Rega P2 with a Clearaudio Emotion with the parallel tracker arm. But cost has been holding me back as I have committed to other things as well. I find Clearaudio TTs to be excellent value for money as they give very good sound.

As for Kuzma, my favourite dealer is of course a Kuzma dealer and he has the top of the range magnetic bearing Kuzma with Kuzma parallel tracking arm on permanent demo in his main listening room. Surfice it to say that I once passed him a duplicate copy of Carpenters LP, having carefully compared both copies and making sure I kept the much better sounding one. But when I passed the spare copy to him, he eagerly played it on his Kuzma and the sound was so good that I quickly got concerned whether I had accidentally passed him my own copy (the one I want to keep) or not. That LP which sounded much worse in my personal system when played on the Kuzma sounded much better than the one I wanted to keep !!

SOTA and VPI are no longer that popular nowadays. But for older TTs, the brand I like most is Goldmund. I have heard Studietto, Studio and a few years ago, had the extreme privilege of hearing the Goldmund Reference. Fantastic TTs which I'd recommend anyone who has the budget to afford it, to buy. Any model is good though a Reference is very very rare (and expensive, even for a very old TT).

I have also met and made friends with a 80year old man who owns a Thorens Reference (the one which can take 3 tone arms at a time). So, who says Thorens is not state of the art. It's sound can match any of the top TTs today ! He offered it to me, saying he doesn't know how much longer he can enjoy his system but sadly the asking price is way way over my league.

My biggest regret is that there are just too many TTs on the market and it is impossible to listen to all of them.

With regards to the obvious question of how a Rega will compare to them, I have heard up to Rega P24 and I have to say it won't come near to anyone of them. The P24 is perhaps comparable to the entry level Clearaudios (this is just my honest opinion so anyone who disagrees have your own valid point of view).

I have also heard a full works Linn LP12, with Ekoz arm, trampolin, and Lingo power supply and that sounded very good as well. Again, much better than the P24 but still nowhere near say, the Goldmund Studio or the higher end Clearaudios. One of the biggest strength of the LP12 is that Linn have continued to come out with updates to improve its sound and most all of the updates can be retrofitted to the older models. This type of obsolete-proofness is a customer support that should be applauded.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:44 pm

WongKN wrote:
But when I passed the spare copy to him, he eagerly played it on his Kuzma and the sound was so good that I quickly got concerned whether I had accidentally passed him my own copy (the one I want to keep) or not.

I like this part.... Razz

Back to the blip pop blip pop sound...
I guess either dirt or dust coz last time I played was like 1 year ago and no such sound. Those Lobo and WHAM LPs are very nice.

The arm alignment, which needs a weight to balance, will need to do realignment again after some time?
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:57 pm

car o scope wrote:Those Lobo and WHAM LPs are very nice.

You ain't heard nothing yet. Most Lobo albums found here are local pressed Philips label. The original US pressed label is Big Tree. I've got one of the most rare Lobo albums from Taiwan under UFO label. Its very rare and very pricy on the used market if available. Amazingly the CD version ain't too bad either. You'll lou hou sui when comparing the Philips and Big Tree pressings.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Arm alignment do not need any weight to balance. I think you mean tracking force adjustment. This you need a special guage to measure. Actually yesterday I was passing by the CMY shop in 1-U and they have the Shure precision tracking force guage for sale. If you are using a TT, it might be something you want to invest in though to be fair you rarely need to change the tracking force.

LOBO and WHAMM LPs eh. Good stuff. If you want more LPs of the same, I strongly recommend you go visit Audio Image near SS2. Oh wait, I think you have visited them already, last time with mugenfoo ! Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:02 pm

Damn cmboy, why did you go tell him this. Now I will have 1 more person who will fight with me for 'good pressings' of LPs !! Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:06 pm

WongKN wrote:Damn cmboy, why did you go tell him this. Now I will have 1 more person who will fight with me for 'good pressings' of LPs !! Very Happy

Oops..ok dokie.. won't publish too much trade secrets ok?... but u must share secrets with me on a personal basis?... what say u? But those US pressings for Lobo are rare here, from my past experience. Of course Ebay got lots for peanuts.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 pm

You guys replied so fast.. I cannot even post mine.

Wong,
Let's see if I have time this Saturday but definitely after my lunchie.

cmboy,
Wow.. So many great pressings out there..

Anyhow, I know that mine is the local pressing and I dont mind how it sounds.
After all, those LPs were given to me and I shall not complain about the sound. Very Happy
Just enjoy the music will do coz not having enough money to buy the good pressings at the meantime.
Great to see your info.. will keep those in mind..
(Will not fight with you, dont worry.. hahahahahaha)
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Shure VTF gauge is a very practical and useful item, a must have. Of course there's so called digital ones for bigger bucks. To me as long as its sufficiently accurate, its good enough. NO need to be exactly 1.5gram or whatever, a little over is no harm done. Its only too under force that it can mistrack. I usually set a little over the recommended. Anyway, the manufacturer gives a guideline, its entirely up to you to test out and hear which pleases you most. Then its anti skate, vertical tracking angle...go read up about it on the internet. BTW, the Shure gauge is way overpriced here. Buy one (perhaps with other accessories if needed) from online.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:44 pm

anyone got an opinion to share about the VYGER turntable ?

Solidly built from aluminium, but the thing that puts me off is the aesthetics or more specifically the colour ... saw a unit that looks as if it was painted by one of those car bodypaint shops in Sunway. Which is actually a decent job, but does give an overall "ah beng" look to it. (Not that it should have any relation to sound quality). And yes, it belonged to one of the frequent kakis in this forum also.

ok ok .. so back to the sonic merits.... anyone ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Ahhh Moogen, I see you are also quite concerned about aesthetics apart from sound quality. I for one will not buy a piece of Hifi which looks like a paperbag job even if it sounds good.

When you mention Ah Beng, I presume you're talking about the Baltic and Timor then?

The Indian and the Atlantis sure look like something out of a 1950s science fiction movie. But alas I don't think they're priced within the reach of mere mortals like myself. I mean it's got linear tracking and all those cool retro sci-fi gauges. Absolutely stunning looking and even better sounding I suspect.

Well i've been trying to save up for a second system with a retro sci-fi theme for some time now. Speakers will be the Scandyna Minipods with a retro looking valve amp and for a turntable i'd choose the Project RPM 6.1

I already have the Minipods and a small valve integrated with lots of chrome and 50s styling cues. I hope to get the RPM 6.1 soon with nexy year's bonus. What do you think?
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:53 pm

Someone's been poisoning you I see. The Vyger (wonder if the manufacturer intentionally chose this name from the Star Trek I Motion Picture movie) do look a bit 'unusual' but sound-wise I have heard it once. Unfortunately can't remember specifics (getting old I'm afraid) which means it's a competentI/good TT overall but not spectecular in any areas. I m not sure about the price but personally I would go for 'that' Clearaudio. In fact if I can work my finances out I -will- go for that Clearaudio.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am

Personally I won't want the Vyger regardless of its cost. Too much hunk of metal. I don't think it'll be a good choice for my 60's 70's old records. The arm is a stock Rega RB300. Purely my own view, as I'm biased towards pre 1970's turntables and LP's around that era. Don't fire me, but I'm thinking many modern TT's can be tonally off when playing those old records.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:34 am

Cmboy, that's where you are very wrong. My friends have awesome collections of old records, all thru the last century (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, even some 90s) and these records sounds incredible on a properly set-up modern turntable like Clearaudio for instance. Some of my friends are real music nuts, like this guy who owns every single album from Sam Cooke and Dean Martin and will only consider first pressing MONOs. And these records sounds incredible on his Clearaudio TT.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:41 am

WongKN. Ok, you say I may be wrong, but what makes you think your buddies are all right either? For all you know there's a remote chance they may be listening to the wrong tone all along. Of course I won't dare claim my rigs are entirely tonally right either, but my ears do convice me that I may have done something right in my current choice of rig.

Last edited by cmboy on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:41 am

WongKN wrote:Someone's been poisoning you I see. The Vyger (wonder if the manufacturer intentionally chose this name from the Star Trek I Motion Picture movie) do look a bit 'unusual' but sound-wise I have heard it once. Unfortunately can't remember specifics (getting old I'm afraid) which means it's a competentI/good TT overall but not spectecular in any areas. I m not sure about the price but personally I would go for 'that' Clearaudio. In fact if I can work my finances out I -will- go for that Clearaudio.

actually was "advised" by the master poisoner that a choice between the s/hand VYGER painted in "dark ah-beng ruby red" and the Entry level new Clearaudio Emotion, was told the VYGER would be a way way better buy instead. But after some quiet contemplation on how the VYGER would fit into the overall system, i cannot accept the red colour (just like i cannot accept the shape of the avalon speakers that reminds me at 12 midnight, Count Dracula would come out from it). So ... its yours to replace the Rega P2. Smile

Ah yes, the Star Trek episode ... V***GER . Which was actually Voyager-6 being the grandaddy or god of that alien race that Kirk & Co. encountered.

In reality, its Voyager 1 & II that is launched & they have left our solar system and are still transmitting data back to home sweet home planet Earth.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:42 am

cmboy wrote:WongKN. Ok, you say I may be wrong, but what makes you think your buddies are all right either? For all you know there's a remote chance they may be listening to the wrong tone all along.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:46 am

in fact, before 1972 or 1973 or somewhere there, the LP cutter was using a 15degree angle to cut the grooves. Then after that year, the industry switched to 20degrees.

But when i posed this question to the grand master of LPs (aka the master poisoner whom i shall not name for he likes to remain anonymous to forumers and dislikes his name being used to lend credibility to certain equipment, ideas or opinions), he said that it "doesn't matter" really when it comes to playback.

Guess i'll just have to take his word for it ....
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:12 am

cmboy, you said that many modern tts plays old records with the tonality off. And that is the part I am saying you are mistaken. If anything the best modern TTs are very accurate and they can play LPs from all era very accurately. I am not sure what you mean by 'old' TTs. But many older designs cannot match the best of the modern TTs for all types of records. Unfortunately it is difficult to really explain as hifi really needs to be heard. I recommend you drop by a good hifi dealer with a good TT on demo and hear it for yourself.

MugenFoo, the more important difference between old LPs and modern LPs is the mastering equilization curve. Did the master poisoner talk about this with you ? About the cutting angle, we (my 'group' of friends) generally agrees that we have not found it to be a problem.

BTW, I don't want the VYGER, my target is that used Clearaudio.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:48 am

Anybody auditioned the Project 6.1? Any comments would be appreciated.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by KFM Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:53 am

Hi there.

I run a Clearaudio Performance with a rewired (clearaudio) RB300 arm connected to a Transfiguration Aria cart. All this to the amp via a Holfi phono stage.

I must say that by going turntable, you will rarely go wrong. It just depends on what your ears desire and how deep your pockets are.

I have enjoyed the system above immensely and hope that it will continue to do so.

KFM

Number of posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Very good combination. And I believe I know where you bought it from. Part of the reason for the good sound is probably also the seller because he knows how to set up the TT well.

If your music taste/music collection includes lots of very old LPs, esp those dating back to early 70s or even 60s, you might want to ask 'him' about 'his' phono preamp.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:16 pm

WongKN wrote:
If your music taste/music collection includes lots of very old LPs, esp those dating back to early 70s or even 60s, you might want to ask 'him' about 'his' phono preamp.

In this case (similar to my own collection). I'd standby my view of a well setup vintage or pre 1980's TT as best bet. Sorry I still don't think Clearaudio will do well for these records. Jim Reeves is just more musical and entertaining on an older TT.

There's many models in the Clearaudio range and each have its own sonic signature because their models vary in build quality and materials. Lets disregard price factor here. I'll pick two TT brands (no prizes for guessing) that have the same core design for 30 years and they're still producing it. Of course they're NOT the last word in TT rigs but I'm SURE they've got many pertinent things right all along. Despite minor improvements and mods, the TT is still essentially the same as it was 30 years ago and people are still buying.
Its ok.. I don't expect anyone to agree or concur with me. Its entirely my own view and how I've enjoyed these older rigs with old records all along and without having to salivate on other very attractive and impressive rigs available in the market. Perhaps I've been listening to the wrong tone all along, no?
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:04 pm

perhaps ! Razz
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:16 am

Personally I wouldn't bother to worry if I am listening to the wrong tone or not, as long as I personally like it and since it is my system, that is what is most important to me.

Nevertheless, at the risk of restarting 'the debate', I will say that since I believe in the correct sound being the reference or absolute sound, to me, as long as the system sounds 'real'; the person is standing there right in front of me, I can hear the same details from the piano as I have heard standing in front of a real piano, the violin sounds like a real violin which I have played or have listened to many times, the classical guitar has the same tonal richness as a real classical guitar - esp the one my instructor used to teach me many years ago, etc, that gives me some sort of assurance I have not gone in the wrong direction.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:40 pm

foomarnhing wrote:I owned in my many years Linn, Thorens(a few models) and Technics(few models). The Linn is truly overpriced and a Technics SL1200mk2 will get close to it and also it is current model. It is built like a tank and get really great sound. You can upgrade your entire system around it for many years and set up including alignment is real easy. I am willing to even help you. Look for 2nd hand in real good cond making sure never used by dj's and you have one to pass to your kids or in your case, to your dad's grand kids!

what is a reasonable price for a used sl1200mk2 ?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:41 am

bimmerman wrote:
azri wrote:

Encik Zri,

I'm no expert on Rega so please somebody correct me if i'm wrong. First there was the Rega Planar3 then came the P3 which was then replaced with the P3-24 and finally we have the latest glossy multi coloured choice P3-24 with TT-PSU power supply/speed control package in red, green, blue, yellow, pink etc.

If you're dealer includes the TT-PSU then it would be excellent value for money as you can use it to change speeds from 33.3 to 45 rpm without messing with the belt and pulley.

I think something like that lah. Smile

i end up buying the new slim ps3 lol!
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:34 am

Ooooo ... so how does the CD sound from the ps3 ?
Any good ?
clown
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:01 pm

i dont care, i get to play games & bluray plus 120g of hd,
slimmer & more quite ahahahaha

i guess next time with TT, peace
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:02 pm

No TT for u?
Awwww..... Say it ain't so, Joe ! Wink
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:30 pm

azri wrote:i dont care, i get to play games & bluray plus 120g of hd,
slimmer & more quite ahahahaha

i guess next time with TT, peace

There are lots of TT waiting for you back here in Bolehland. Twisted Evil
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:36 pm

its not the tt, but the material for playback
limited & absolutely expensive vs cd hehe
although i have no problem to source rock vinyls
(i.e master of puppets, in utero, just to name a few)
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:51 pm

For those new sealed reissues, they are probably more expensive than CDs.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next