Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Store Audition

5 posters

Go down

Store Audition Empty Store Audition

Post by mrquery Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:59 am

I've been using pc (transport/source) + MF DAC for a year and was convinced that computer audio is the future of digital music (I still want to believe this, really).

Recently I bought a rega cd player and the game changed, suddenly the music comes alive, more pronounced and had body. I bought this rega cd player cause a kind soul let me audition it years ago, so I just snatch it in the marketplace without auditioning from the seller.

Now I wanted to get this sound (rega cd player) into my pc + dac setup. >> My problem is audition.

First let me say that I mean no disrespect with the undermentioned experience, its is just as it is and what actually happend.

Here's my experience (I got many):

Recently I was in this mall waiting for my wife to complete her facial treatment.
Since I was in the mall, I passed through this audioshop to audition but it was closed (rather open with a calling card posted in the door).
On this time, I am not ready to commit or buy something but wanted a casual audition, so what am I suppose to do? - Call the guy and say hey open up your store, I want to audition but I not buying (yet)?

After around 30mins my wife's facial was completed, I purposely pass at the same store to check. Great the store is open and a guy (seller / store assistant) was talking to a girl. The girl in the sofa (guy in a comfy chair) conveniently conversing to each other. The girl is not a client but rather a friend (I can tell by the way they talk).

Me and my wife came in since it was open, I've checked on a bookshelf, I've checked on a floorstander, I've checked on the cd player and I checked on the DAC. I do this with my wife following each of my steps, the guy (seller / store assistant) haven't done anything even to acknowledge our presence (keep on talking to her friend).

By that time I had been at least 2mins in the store, then an older man came in (in his long sleeves). Surprisingly not a second passed and the guy (store owner / assistant) said "can I help you".

By that time I was envious of the older guy, I said to my self maybe if I'm wearing long sleeves (I' wearing t-shirt and shorts by that time) then I will be entertained.
So I walk out the store without having a chance (just a chance to hear/audition) what I came in for.

So is casual audition that hard nowadays?

Do we all need to wear long sleeves, look professionally presentable or atleast look we got big pockets when passing these stores to audition?

My point being is, how do we ensure we will be entertained when we go to the hifi store's to audition and help us make our decision before we cash in our hard earned money.

I want to audition, still is. How to better things? Your advice is vastly appreciated.

P.S. If there is a same topic please point to me and I will update my post.

mrquery
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2009-12-01

Back to top Go down

Store Audition Empty Re: Store Audition

Post by adrian4454 Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Typical hifi shop treatment around the world~
the best approach is suppose to drag whoever come in and let them listen to the system before any question is asked. That's why hifi is so niche and very much dying off... It isn't as accessible as used to be.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by sph Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:25 am

We have to be a little "thick-skinned" at times and not let ego get in the way.

If you are really interested in any product in a store, you have to make the initiative to approach the salesperson and ask for service or advice.
If the salesperson refuses to entertain or shows a bad attitude towards you, then you have every right to complain about the salesperson.

I agree that a salesperson should approach the customer instead of the other way around. But there is nothing wrong in the customer doing it instead.

A salesperson is only human. Many make the extra money through commission. He has to decide which customer to attend to who will most likely purchase. If you had been the only person in the store, perhaps you may have been given VIP service.

If you had approached the salesperson and asked him about the product you were interested in, perhaps he may have taken a different view of you. When you were looking around the store, he may have thought that you were just browsing. I'm sure many people had dropped in the store and browsed around too.

Let's not put the blame solely on the salesperson. When we walk into an "expensive" store, an impression is formed by the way we are dressed and how we express ourselves. Con-men are the masters in this.

Try walking into a boutique watch shop like IWC or Rolex. The first thing the salesperson will look at is the watch wrapped around your wrist. It is all done so discretely. The moment an expensive watch is seen on your wrist, you will be accorded excellent service although you could be wearing shorts, T-shirt and sandals. This is what I have observed and experienced.

Try walking into the same hifi shop again. This time, try approaching the salesperson if you are not approached. If you are denied service, or treated badly, then that store does not deserve to be visited by you or others.

sph
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:38 am

Hifi shouldnt be exclusive for fanatic like us only. It should be for all. That is why it is so hard to capture newbies. Lcd, minicompo at superstore is on all the time. But of course hifi doesnt need to sit so low. Majority of ppl walking in r curious abt what it is all about of this gear, just demo it n impress them.
Ppl who out to open hifi shop n think about earning big money nowadays is certainly not getting it. It is no more that. It is always the passion that keep most of the shops going. Can forget about the comission for the time being.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by sph Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:17 am

mrquery.

You mentioned that you still want to audition the item.

I suggest that you just go ahead and visit the store again. Ask any salesperson in the store for assistance if you are not approached. Don't wait to be approached.

If you are treated badly, then leave the store.

If you are refused an audition, ask why. Perhaps there could be a reasonable explanation.

When you enter the store, do not bring your previous experience into your thoughts. Go in like this would be your first time, with a positive attitude. Tomorrow could be a different day from yesterday!

However, if all your efforts to come to nothing or you are still badly treated, then you will know who is to be blamed.

Cheers!

sph
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mrquery Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi All,

Firstly thank you for the feedback. Let it be known there are good days and bad days in life and this also applies in hifi stores everywhere. Note good days / bad days Very Happy

I have re-read my post and thought this was the end result of almost 3years going in and out of the audio store without being entertained or rather being dissatisfied. Mind those who read this I had due diligence to approach this hifi shops.

Bad Day: One time I've asked this store person to try his xxx brand amp. I said to the store person I'm using arcam amp and would want to listen to his xxx brand amp. Up to this time I haven't heard this amp (any model of the said brand). Why? That time, he told me better bring your amp then we will compare with our xxx brand amp. Ok, I guess turning on the volume of the xxx brand amp for me to listen is too much for this store person (the amp / cd / hi cap power was on, i can see the green lights), he only need to put a CD and turn the volume on.

Good Day: I walked in the shop and asked the store person I want to try brand xxx speakers. First the big bookshelf, it was good. Then the little one it was better. Long story short, I took it and used it for 2years. Note, I had fun here.

P.S. This is a quick response since wifey is waiting for me to check on her prospective lenovo u series, hope people there are kind to us.

mrquery
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mofaz Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm completely the opposite, i dont like sales person to stand behind me while i'm looking at display items, if i need assistance i'll ask if not stay away!! The way you describe the hifi shop is it by any chance it's in Gurney Plaza Penang?

mofaz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by mofaz Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Once you set an appointment for a demo, the pressure is on you to buy and you have to find an excuse not to buy ... if your excuse is price then why didnt you say how much your budget , the best excuse is "the sound is not nice" !..

mofaz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by shbehmal Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:44 pm

If I were you, I will not set foot on that shop ever again. There are other venues where you can get auditions, go to other shops, listen to other brands, go to fellow audiophiles house for auditions etc, nowadays I get most of my stuff online, it is much much cheaper but you have to content with service issues. If you can get a good technician why not buy online?

shbehmal
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mrquery Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 pm

hi shbehmal.. this site is good i got an email saying my topic has received a reply. So that what "Watch this topic for replies" is for.

Basically store audition is not bad at all, there are just stores that treats you not so good (so i guess its bad) haha...

But you are correct most item i wanted to buy may not be available in local store. Like recently i posted "WTB: Fiio A1 / Dayton DTA-100a" no body PM me yet and no local distro either. So i have no choice but to buy it online. Got me thinkin..

mrquery
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mrquery Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:48 pm

mofaz wrote:Once you set an appointment for a demo, the pressure is on you to buy and you have to find an excuse not to buy ... if your excuse is price then why didnt you say how much your budget , the best excuse is "the sound is not nice" !..

mofaz, you are correct "pressure" is one thing any consumer would want to stay away with. And no, its not that shop, i haven't been there yet Very Happy

Last edited by mrquery on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong grammar)

mrquery
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mrquery Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:58 pm

adrian4454 wrote:Hifi shouldnt be exclusive for fanatic like us only. It should be for all. That is why it is so hard to capture newbies. Lcd, minicompo at superstore is on all the time. But of course hifi doesnt need to sit so low. Majority of ppl walking in r curious abt what it is all about of this gear, just demo it n impress them.
Ppl who out to open hifi shop n think about earning big money nowadays is certainly not getting it. It is no more that. It is always the passion that keep most of the shops going. Can forget about the comission for the time being.

adrian445, completely agree. But this does not mean hifi shops have the same view. Although there are still hifi shops which maintains their store not only for profit but also for passion, they are easy to spot...

mrquery
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down