Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Buying loudspeakers without audition!

+19
wingman
car o scope
fizi
htkaki
adcomer
joeling
carz
ongaaron
VS126
jokiarch
Mikapoh
soonthas
zeebee
WongKN
tlkoo
WongKK
CT-Boy
adrian4454
balokboy
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Buying loudspeakers without audition! Empty Buying loudspeakers without audition!

Post by balokboy Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:37 am

Hello all forumers,

Is it ok to purchase a loudspeaker base only on internet reviews and not audition it yourself? I am asking this silly question because I live in Kuantan and there is very limited choice of hifi gears available here wheter new or used. I need to buy a new set of hifi, preferebly a decent amp and a bookshelf. The bookshelf must have a tight bass with sweet midrange as I listen to a lot of pop music, instrumentals and sometime old timer rock.

balokboy

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Buying loudspeakers without audition! Empty Re: Buying loudspeakers without audition!

Post by adrian4454 Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:41 am

Hi Balok,
I can only say good luck. Anyway, I did that also. Not really regretting totally the choice; but it does make me work harder to tweak the system; along the way learn quite some tweaks to make things right.

Sometimes, this is the only way, if u r not really in the game to meeting the product face to face, even if you did; chances are you may be sitting in a totally different environment; different equipment setup; even the rack and cable do make a profound differences in sound.

You may want to share out what u have in mind now, and we can help out here by sharing our opinion in making you better informed and "confused" over the purchase~

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Buying loudspeakers without audition! Empty Re: Buying loudspeakers without audition!

Post by CT-Boy Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:23 am

I bought my last floorstander without auditioning but based on various reviews found over the internet. It paid off! A gamble but it worked well for me. Good luck to you!
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKK Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:40 am

Balokboy, I have 3 words for you - don't do it!! Kuantan is not that far from KL - why not make a weekend trip down to the big city and listen to a few speakers? At most, you can narrow down your choice based on internet reviews but your final decision should always be made after listening to the speakers.

Here are some considerations to help you narrow down your choice:

- Budget
- Room size + speaker position
- Front or rear ported, or unported
- Personal preference

Decide on the first three then go look at the loudspeaker. Make sure you get the dealer to position it the way you intend to position it at home. If the dealer insists on positioning it differently, ask yourself whether you would be happy to position it that way when you get home. If not, the demonstration would be meaningless because speaker positioning is absolutely critical. Some speakers are designed to be placed against the wall, some are designed to be about 1m out into the room.

A loudspeaker is an expensive investment and you will lose a lot of money from depreciation if you change your mind. It is worth your while to make sure your purchase decision is correct.
WongKK
WongKK
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-11-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL-99V
Amplification: Cary SLP-05, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S
Speakers: Acapella High Violon

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:30 am

balokboy wrote:Hello all forumers,

Is it ok to purchase a loudspeaker base only on internet reviews and not audition it yourself? I am asking this silly question because I live in Kuantan and there is very limited choice of hifi gears available here wheter new or used. I need to buy a new set of hifi, preferebly a decent amp and a bookshelf. The bookshelf must have a tight bass with sweet midrange as I listen to a lot of pop music, instrumentals and sometime old timer rock.

some points to share:

1) trust your ears/hearing and heart much more than anyone else therefore audition is indispensable Wink

2) match your equipment and set them up with due care as there are numerous good speakers out there alas none readily sounding good Rolling Eyes

3) try your very best to contain/accomodate bass as the worry is not the absence of tight neither low bass Mad

4) invest your efforts in getting controlled and well defined bass but not just punchy-ness and low-ness Cool

have fun

Last edited by tlkoo on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:43 am

My standard advice. It is already June and the KL AV Show is only slightly over a month away !! Why not take the effort to plan for a trip for the show ? There, you have almost every major dealer in town exhibiting there and you can compare numerous speakers, affordable to mind-staggering prices, and for all kinds of musical preferences. You can get dealer's contact, talk to them directly, including asking about arrangements to ship to Kuantan. You can also get brochures, touch the speakers, listen to them, everything. You can even buy some CDs or LPs while at the show. So why have to resort to only reading from internet and reviews when the whole world of actual experience is waiting for you, just barely a month and a half away.....
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:33 am

WongKN wrote:My standard advice. It is already June and the KL AV Show is only slightly over a month away !! .......

Concurred... Very Happy while not all the room/venues will be ideal for listening (xcept perhaps for Jo Ki's) Very Happy , you'll get almost all the dealers/vendors under one roof cheers cheers to satiate the most insatiable lust (I mean hi fi wise) Very Happy

Cheers and good luck
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by soonthas Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:12 pm

I have never auditioned all my previously and currently owned speakers prior to purchase, I've just gained those speakers tonal character from reviews and decided whether they would be my tatse of sound. Laughing

soonthas
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 208

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:18 pm

My original discussion point was that by waiting a month more and spending a little bit of effort, the OP can see, touch, and hear many of the speakers he'd probably be looking at buying. So the big question from my point of view was 'why not' ? If there is a choice, then being able to hear is better. But I would appreciate that if he had asked another time, or he has a time frame in which to buy, then he'd probably need to consider buying just from reviews or internet chats.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by balokboy Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks guys for the advise, just when is the KL AV show? I have never been to any hifi show yet, maybe this should be a good time to go, maybe knowing a few hifi enthuthias that is very difficult to find here in Kuantan.

Currently I am using AE Aegis Evo & BLAudio f/stander speakers. I find that the AE is too sharp and the BLAudio too soft in high frequencies, making the sound frequency not balance. I would like to have a more balance sound. I also do not know whether the problem lies with the speaker or the amps section. Right now I am using Adcom pre/power combo and also NAD 1020 pre. CDP is Marantz CD5001. Do anyone have any suggestion on the vital upgrade for my system? Common guys. I'm a loner in Kuantan regarding hifi .

balokboy

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Check this link klavs 2011
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Sometimes attending this audio show will not necessary draws you a clearer picture especially you're looking for entry level or average speakers. Most of the exhibitors will showcase their Hi-End or their top of their range speakers, not to mention setting-up their best sounding equipments. You will even feel *shy* to request a pair of normal pricing speakers just to hook up to their highly expensive set-up equipments to audition. If you manage to "convince" them, there is always high possibility that all speakers will sound impressive as result of their highly rated electronics. You may even get confused with so many choices of speakers at the show.

My take is to short-list just a few and straight drive to their showroom. If not possible, like soonthas says, know the characteristic of each speakers 1st hand & then take a risk but a calculated one.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:09 pm

WongKN wrote:Check this link klavs 2011

Did not seem to come across our favoured Audio Imagine in the list....

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 pm

balokboy wrote:Common guys. I'm a loner in Kuantan regarding hifi .

last year when i was in kuantan, i happened to have stumbled across an av shop among the clusters of shops opposite of megamall, i recall seeing some audio stuff though i was never interested to stop by due to work i had in hand

this shop probably could make an avenue to end your "loner-hood" as i believe there could be like-minded guys hanging around, don't wait til my current visit is due (end of june), or you are going to tell me nothing intesting therein Mad

regards

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Hmm... yes Mikapoh has some very good points there. I would agree that everyone will be showcasing their top model. So how ? Yet I feel that top model or not, the basic sound characteristic would be similar across the range, just that the top model does everything (we would hope lar of course) better. So it should still be a useful trip to get to know what kind of speakers at the minimum (boxed, plannar, etc) will suit one's taste and perhaps even what brand of speakers to zoom in on. E.g. if the BBC monitor type sound character floats the OP's boat, then he will know to focus his search around brands like BBC, Spendor, Harbeth, etc.

Audio Image have not been exhibiting in shows for a number of years now. For this year, AFAIK, they are still considering. They have been there for many years when the show originally started (at that time, there were two shows, one by STAR and one by SUN, one HiFi, one AV, now only 1 show) so the organisers are willing to give them time to make a decision. I expect all of my other regulars to be there though, NOVA, HiWay, etc. I think for many of us, our regular haunts should be at the show (let's not have delusions of grandeur, we ALL have our own favourite shops and brands. No-one can be truly 'objective' Very Happy ).
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 pm

zeebee wrote:

Concurred... Very Happy while not all the room/venues will be ideal for listening (xcept perhaps for Jo Ki's) Very Happy , you'll get almost all the dealers/vendors under one roof cheers cheers to satiate the most insatiable lust (I mean hi fi wise) Very Happy

Cheers and good luck
Thank you ZeeBee, I will roll out red carpet when you come to the show this KLIAV!

Quite many good advice given here. But when looking for right speakers, my opinion is always based on your music repertoire to begin with and end with your listening environment. If you are to also consider your current equipment, you always ended up getting a "half-way house", soon you will be looking for another speakers! Of course, for as long as you are not going over the top, your current equipment are good enough to handle most speakers in the market.

What you do not want is to buy a speaker and it goes down the drain as soon as you upgraded your amplifiers.

If pop rock with good bass kind of bookshelf you are looking for, when AE is too bright for you, you might want to consider PMC, ATC, EPOS, AE-1, which they all have clean nice bass capable of high dynamic amplitude reproduction.

Jo Ki
jokiarch
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:37 pm

jokiarch wrote:
zeebee wrote:

Cheers and good luck
I will roll out red carpet when you come to the show this KLIAV!

And I will definately go along with ZeeBee to experience the RED CARPET effect king
VS126
VS126
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 640

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:35 pm

VS126 wrote:
jokiarch wrote:
zeebee wrote:

Cheers and good luck
I will roll out red carpet when you come to the show this KLIAV!

And I will definately go along with ZeeBee to experience the RED CARPET effect king

Thanks Jo Ki and looking forward to it cheers

Sorry VS, my better half just vetoed you for the red carpet experience Laughing
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:31 pm

OKOK I understand.

I will try to say something nice about Jo's system too and hopefully, I will get the red carpet treatment (wonder what it is). ,,,Remember the Queen's toilet???
VS126
VS126

Number of posts : 640

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by balokboy Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:13 am

Tlkoo, yeah you're right, there is only 1 shop in Kuantan that can be consider as HIFI shop, but it mainly focus on HT. I've been there once but the choice is limited.

Regarding speaker, right now I am quite interested for "Xavian XN185mk2" anybody have any experience with this model. the spec is excellent, all drivers from " Scanspeak". However reviews on this model is hard to find. Only Xavian XN125 was reviewed in TNT audio and the rating is good.

balokboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ongaaron Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 am

Balokboy, Bookshelf with sweet midrange and tight bass.....Dynaudio is worth considering. Just make sure your amp is up to the mark.

ongaaron
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 425
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Character sheet
Source(s): MF AMSCD
Amplification: Audia Flight
Speakers: Wilson Benesch

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:48 am

I would agree. If I were looking for a bookshelf, Dynaudio will be in the list for audition.
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:07 am

Balokboy,

This was mentioned earlier; what's your musical preference, rock, jazz (old school or more later stuff), etc?

This was highlighted before and as Aaron mentioned earlier, your other gears will also play a part (he should know better Very Happy)

And you have not mentioned budget and your listening area; let's just say I'm currently dealing with issues with the latter Very Happy.
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:16 am

You could also consider the Chario Lynx speakers

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:14 pm

I am a ProAc fanboy so I recommend ProAc D1 or D2 depending on your budget.

Regards,
Joe Ling
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
Amplification: ARC
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by balokboy Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Bought the Xavian already, superb sound. Thanks for all the advice. looking forward for a more suitable amp soon.

balokboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ongaaron Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Agreed, superb sound,sweet and warm midrange. Those danish drivers need alot of juice and make sure your amp is fast and not warm.

ongaaron
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adcomer Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:16 am

Any recomendation on the amp suitable for the xavian? My Adcom is just 60watt into 8 ohms only. I am thinking to safe up and get a good Krell power amp, maybe KS150s or KS50s.

adcomer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by ongaaron Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:11 pm

KS150 is a better bet. Thats about the power your Xavian needs to make it sing. Anything less, might as well keep your Adcom.

ongaaron
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:16 pm

An Odyssey Khartiga should also be quite nice. If it can drive Apogee, Magneplannar, and Magico, it should be able to drive your speaker.

For the 'classical' alternatives to the Krell KSA150, you can also look for amps like Mark Levinson and Jeff Rowland. For more cost effective alternatives, Aragon 4004 is also a good choice to consider.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adcomer Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks Ongaaron & Wongkn for the suggestion, will google all the amps after this, judging the review and finding the price etc. On the other hand ,the Xavian is certainly well paid for. The build quality is awesome, bookshelf size but with good bass extension. Surely will grow with the other system after this.

adcomer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Do be aware the Odyssey is spelled KhartigO in the internet but the local dealer for some reasons calls it KhartigA. This is so you won't get confused if you go to 'that' shop la... Very Happy

I think there are lots of great choices for 'strong' amps but you must be ready to spend a fair amount of money. If you are willing to go for used (as suggested by your comment on the Krell KSA150), then you are in much much better situation.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:20 am

Wong Suk, is it Khartago? Or Odyssey came out with a new replacement in the form of Khartigo?

Khartiga reminds me of the local model Kartika that was embroiled in the beer drinking offense.
htkaki
htkaki

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:22 am

Max,

I am not a big enuf fan of Odyssey to know la. I suppose eventually I will need to find out. I remember all the while thinking it is Odyssey KhartigO but then Adrian keeps calling it KhartigA. Then your brother questioned me about it and I googled and found that it is called KhartigO. So I think my original understanding should be correct. Or like you said, there are two models ?
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:43 am

Khartigo or khartiga really make my jaw drop when match it with audio physic scorpio....but the price Sad maybe need to wait after 10 years only willing to pay for it...even now the resale value for scorpio also around 10k..
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:43 am

Probably only one; Khartago

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-khartago-stereo.html

I was told that you wanted to sell one (make that 2) of your 'gems'. Funding a new toy, eh?
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:52 am

Yes, the gems are very good but sadly doesn't have the strength I need to drive my speakers. So instead of torturing and possibly prematurely burning up the 6550s, I decided to let it go.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:12 pm

WongKN wrote:Yes, the gems are very good but sadly doesn't have the strength I need to drive my speakers. So instead of torturing and possibly prematurely burning up the 6550s, I decided to let it go.

Kismet lah... Surely powerful enough to serve your needs. Very Happy
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Hmmm.... this is called the victim turning the tables on the attacker. After kena so many times poison from me, I am sure this must have been COS' most enjoyable post to write !! lol!
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:37 pm

WongKN wrote:Hmmm.... this is called the victim turning the tables on the attacker. After kena so many times poison from me, I am sure this must have been COS' most enjoyable post to write !! lol!

Buy!! Buy!! Buy!! Muahahahahahaha.. Twisted Evil
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:39 pm

WongKN wrote:Hmmm.... this is called the victim turning the tables on the attacker. After kena so many times poison from me, I am sure this must have been COS' most enjoyable post to write !! lol!
ppsssstt..!

Khartago in The Star today :

http://sites.thestar.com.my/audio/story.asp?file=/2011/7/4/afreviews/8993298&sec=afreviews

Still fall shorts lah for you. I sell my power amp to you after I get my matching 'PAIR' of pants.
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:36 pm

WOI !! Two against one. Unfair advantage la ! Laughing
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adcomer Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:08 am

How much the Odyssey Khartigo by the way? I mean "Used" coz I am not loaded enough to buy new. Why everyone say that the Xavian need a lot of juice to make them sing? Does the Denmark driver not easy to drive? Even the Xavian seller said that min power should be ~ 200 watts to drive them.

adcomer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:07 am

wat is yr budget again ?
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 am

adcomer wrote:How much the Odyssey Khartigo by the way? I mean "Used" coz I am not loaded enough to buy new. Why everyone say that the Xavian need a lot of juice to make them sing? Does the Denmark driver not easy to drive? Even the Xavian seller said that min power should be ~ 200 watts to drive them.

i got experience with xavian mia before not really difficult to drive...sweet sounding...ur xavian from which model...if i not mistaken xavian using same driver like usher,dynaudio that quite difficult to drive but once pair with matching power amp the speaker can really sing...
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by adcomer Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:47 am

Mine is XN185mk2, 86db/w/m sensitivity, 8 ohm load, 6.5" midbass from Scanspeak. I'm also keen to audition integrated amp fr Musical Fidelity such as A3 or A300. Very good reviews in the net. What is the normal price for the above amps. One dealer want to sell ~RM3.5k for the A3 & for A300 6k plus. Is it ok or too expensive? My budget is ~RM3 to 4k only.How about Atoll power amp. Anybody have any experience with this brand? Please help me, I am really confuse right now. I will be going to KL sometime next week to find my amp.

adcomer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:52 am

No, come to KL the week after next and visit the KLAVS as well.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:38 am

Hi ....

Anyone have any experience with "LOTH" Floor Standers...type of AMP which suits these floorstanders... I would presume a low watt Tube AMP should suffice....? Is my assumption right or otherwise ?

Would it suit a Solid State, in my case a NAD Int ?

Appreciated.

Cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adcomer Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi guys,

Today I hooked up my old integrated amp, Kenwood Ka-3020 with the Xavian just to test. Wow the sound is quite nice, I think there is a matching between them. The amp is warm while the Xavian is forward, maybe thats make them a good match. It does not have the bass slam as my adcom does but the middle and the high is smooth, making long listening not fatique. Maybe I should try to match the Xavian with a british amp which is warmer in nature. with the adcom the high is a bit too harsh for my liking.

So any recommendation on a suitable amp. I will be going to KLAV show and will be wandering along a few used hifi outlet to find my dream amp soon.

adcomer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:11 pm

wingman wrote:Hi ....

Anyone have any experience with "LOTH" Floor Standers...type of AMP which suits these floorstanders... I would presume a low watt Tube AMP should suffice....? Is my assumption right or otherwise ?

Would it suit a Solid State, in my case a NAD Int ?

Appreciated.

Cheers Very Happy

I have listened to LOTH X ION 4 driven by a pair of DIY 2A3 @ 3.5w. All I can say is my jaw dropped when the first disc was played.

You are right in saying that it matches well with low powered SET amp.

The pair of DIY SET I heard is very expensive. It is beyond my budget. Crying or Very sad

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next