Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

The iPod Classic - how do you use yours?

+4
CT-Boy
elhefe
STC
bassraptor
8 posters

Go down

The iPod Classic - how do you use yours? Empty The iPod Classic - how do you use yours?

Post by bassraptor Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 am

Hi folks,

The Apple-reviving iPod is 12 years old and despite speculation that it would be discontinued from September, is still very much part of the Apple line-up. I guess Tim Cook and his team realise there are still iPod diehards around, and despite falling numbers, it remains a profitable product. There are six generations of iPod (the Classic in current guise).

I bought my first one in 2007, a fifth generation unit, 80GB version - the desktop computer it syncs with via iTunes is long gone, and it crashed on me just once. I use it plugged into my car audio these days.

Along the way, I also tried it with various docks - including the transport dock from Wadia - but never had the patience to build on it.

Earlier this year, I got the Classic, 160GB version, and have been gradually filling it up. I'm trying to see if I can build a decent hi-fi system around it, using it just as part of a transport system.

1. Audiolab iQ dock - Recent product, one of the rare ones like the older Wadia that outputs only the iPod's digital signal. One can pick a DAC of choice. I've yet to settle on a DAC because ...

2. ... this came my way now - HRT iStreamer, which extracts only the digital signal and converts it via the asynchronous DAC - the limitation is that it does 16/48 tops. Still, it sounds very promising plugged into my main system, via a decent set of RCA cables.

Would appreciate if anyone has any iPod experiences to share, in the context of fitting it into their hi-fi system.

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

The iPod Classic - how do you use yours? Empty Re: The iPod Classic - how do you use yours?

Post by STC Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 am

bassraptor wrote:
Would appreciate if anyone has any iPod experiences to share, in the context of fitting it into their hi-fi system.
Hi there! I use Ipod touch docked on Onkyo NDS1 to listen to oldies where it sounded pretty good. Never really attempted for perfection as the music in Ipod  is of low rez.

Regards.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Ambiophonics setup.
Amplification:
Speakers: Electrostatics

https://stchelvam.wixsite.com/ambiophonics3dstereo

Back to top Go down

The iPod Classic - how do you use yours? Empty Re: The iPod Classic - how do you use yours?

Post by bassraptor Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:40 am

The music on my older iPod is all mp3... on the newer Classic, I've taken the trouble of ripping in WAV format.

I once did an A/B rip on a friend's iPod - same track in WAV and Apple Lossless. He listened a few times and said he couldn't hear the difference ....

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 pm

Me too. IMHO, the default setting of the IPod file format is good enough but same files via DAC is another story. For musical enjoyment I am okay with iPod sound.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Ambiophonics setup.
Amplification:
Speakers: Electrostatics

https://stchelvam.wixsite.com/ambiophonics3dstereo

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 pm

BR,

I used to connect via Wadia dock connected to an upsampling DAC. It does give more excitement compared to direct RCA hook up from ipod to an amp.

The only problem for me was that I had to get myself up from the sofa each time I need to choose a song.

So now, i connect to the MF CLiC which you can use the remote to browse the iPod content.

MP3 is still ok as long as its not the lower spec ones... I rip to 48kHz 320 mbps and sounds superb.

The iPod Classic - how do you use yours? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:36 pm

I hear generation 5-5.5 of the iPod was the best sonically, as they used Wolfson DAC chips. Apple allegedly used a cheaper DAC for the current six-gen model .... however, since I use mine as transport only, that's academic ....

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:00 pm

U r correct in that one BR. Older generation ipod comes with a better DAC and output level. Comparing between my iPod video (bought in 2005) and iPod Touch(bought in 2009) and even iPhone, I prefer the sound from the 2005 model may it be connected to my hifi or using it with headphones.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:15 pm

I agree.
I have an iPod mini and iPod Classic.. older model sounded 'better'... Wink
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Time to start a hunt for used ones, then...? Lol... let's corner the market!

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 pm

BR,

For used ones... Only advisable if you are going to permanently dock it and not for portable use... Reason being is that the built in battery might not be rechargeable anymore...

I have the 60 GB and 30 GB iPod video from 2005. Both can only be run when connected to a power source/dock. Take it off and the unit just dies off.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Yes, that's a good point.

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by 1541 Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:16 am

theres a terrific variety of different ages of Ipods and the sonics do vary quite a lot.
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2010-11-18

Character sheet
Source(s): 1541`s品种狂机
Amplification: Nac42/Nap90
Speakers: SARA

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 am

If one wanted to go down this path, what should one rip their music into? Flac? or just mp3 at 360 thinggumies? And how do you rip your cd's... with the normal programs that come with windows and apple, or do you download a speciality program? 

For some reason i find listening to ripped music (and even hd downloads) very difficult to listen to thro my big rig. headphones are quite satisfactory, but not my big rig.

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:59 am

The audio gurus say wav is the way to go. My old iPod is all mp3. My new one, all wav. See my post earlier about wav vs Lossless. I also rip via dbamp at uncompressed flac for my Linn Majik DS. As I don't possess "magic" ears", sounds pretty good mostly for hifi listening. High end listening may be a different matter, though... Cool Razz

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by kamfei0512 Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:37 am

bal wrote:If one wanted to go down this path, what should one rip their music into? Flac? or just mp3 at 360 thinggumies? And how do you rip your cd's... with the normal programs that come with windows and apple, or do you download a speciality program? 

For some reason i find listening to ripped music (and even hd downloads) very difficult to listen to thro my big rig. headphones are quite satisfactory, but not my big rig.
Are you implying that ripped files/hd downloads sound too "digital" ? Razz
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Audio Alchemy DDS II + DDE v1.1, Google Chromecast Audio
Amplification: Arcam FMJ A19
Speakers: Audio Physic Tempo 25

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 am

WAV is usually accepted as the best rip on iTunes. But once played on iPod (direct without external DAC) my untrained ears cannot differentiate between WAV, ALAC or high quality MP3 48kHz 320 kbps.

U will need a special app to play FLAC on iPod... not sure the older iPod can support this or not.

As for the iPod not performing in a big system, that I agree if it is connected directly via RCA...but given a decent dock that allows raw file to be extracted and fed into a decent DAC, it can easily match a decent CDP.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Kamfei, no...., it's not the digititis. In MY SET up, in MY room, I find that the soundstage suffers, gets smaller and shorter, not as high. Some thing seems amiss, but i'm not sure what.

Sounds great with my headphones though (stax). Can't really understand why.

BR... you don't possess 'magic ears' eh? .....Hmmmmm:lol!:

bal

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:41 pm

I have actually ripped most of my cd's (1k plus cd's... took nearly forever to do) into WAV using db. Slow as hell with my internet. Thank God most of it is done.

And i'm cheating.... I don't use an ipod, I use my Mac (same same family...Rolling Eyes ) with a program called decibel. Decibel takes the digital bits directly from the mac and so you can use an external dac, which I do. Still sounds 'not the same' as the actual cd with my CEC transport.

Anyway, I have decided that I really like touching and 'fondling' the paper work that comes with it. alien 

So it will be sometime yet before I really get serious about computer and I pod systems.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:17 pm

I recently took delivery of a Denon RCD N-8... most music listening I've done over a weekend! Using iPod as well. Go on, find out what it is ... lol

Bal: I've never ever claimed to have "magic ears!" I just know what I like... Twisted Evil

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi Bal,

But of course....using Mac is a different ball game all together as you are going into CAS.... eventhough...it is the same file that is on your Mac and the one transferred onto the iPod.

If you do connect the Mac to a DAC and compare it with the CEC transport, it should sound different. If not, thats the end of our joyful journey of getting more updated DACs Very Happy 

And of course....your Stax is one great pair of cans...

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by zulkifar Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:35 pm

bassraptor wrote:I recently took delivery of a Denon RCD N-8... most music listening I've done over a weekend! Using iPod as well. Go on, find out what it is ... lol

Bal: I've never ever claimed to have "magic ears!" I just know what I like... Twisted Evil
Hi,
Thank you! I think you just rekindled my interest in the Ipod (the last one I had got stolen a few years back). Makes perfect sense for the car. On WAV it's better than having to swap CDs every now and then. These days there are fantastic earphones so mobility is a definite plus.
As for the home, vinyl still rules!Razz

zulkifar
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Character sheet
Source(s): LP,CD
Amplification: SET
Speakers: Dynamic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down