Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp?

+7
car o scope
azri
joeling
jazzy939
mugenfoo
drife
dennis611
11 posters

Go down

Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Empty Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp?

Post by dennis611 Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:14 am

Hi all

So far I have onli used integrated amplifier. My Q is can pre/poweramp be added to an integrated. What are the benefits? What enhancement do one expect to get? Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Icon_rolleyes Tq

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Empty Re: Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp?

Post by drife Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:23 pm

yes and no. confused? yes, only when your integrated amp (pre and power in 1 housing) has pre-out and main-in connections at the back.1) Hook up an external pre-amp to your int amp's main-in or 2) Pre-out from your int amp to an external power amp. get it?No, when the int amp doesn't have the abovementioned connections.results - should get better separation but it all depends on the equipment and matchingness. 

drife
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 2068
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Character sheet
Source(s): USJ
Amplification: Subang Jaya
Speakers: Selangor

http://drifeaudio.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Empty Re: Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp?

Post by mugenfoo Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:27 pm

dennis611 wrote:Hi all

So far I have onli used integrated amplifier. My Q is can pre/poweramp be added to an integrated. What are the benefits? What enhancement do one expect to get? Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Icon_rolleyes Tq

If your integrated has a "pre-out" connection, then yes u can add a power amp to turbocharge your hifi system.

Audiolab Integrateds have these feature.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:05 pm

And some NAD amps..

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:04 pm

& old style Classe integrated...
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
Amplification: ARC
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:03 pm

rotel as well
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:32 pm

yup, you guys keep going at it ... in no time we'll have every brand on the planet listed down whose Integrateds can also act as preamps.

Keep up the good work.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:11 pm

mugenfoo wrote:yup, you guys keep going at it ... in no time we'll have every brand on the planet listed down whose Integrateds can also act as preamps.

Keep up the good work.

Who knows, maybe can contribute to wikipedia later... hahahahahahaha... Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Icon_razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:29 pm

car o scope wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:yup, you guys keep going at it ... in no time we'll have every brand on the planet listed down whose Integrateds can also act as preamps.

Keep up the good work.

Who knows, maybe can contribute to wikipedia later... hahahahahahaha... Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Icon_razz

Ahhh.. but some wise old man somewherehere said that cannot trust wikipedia, becoz its no substitute for "experience" ! Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Icon_smile
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:53 am

audiolab
nad
classe
rotel
anybody else wants to share?

dont worry these are based on experience
later on, others can surely benefits Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Icon_wink
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:05 am

some integrated amps with pre-out connections can be used to bi-amp rather than be used in pre-power configuration.
some companies actually make matching power amps for this purpose. for e.g. the NAD C270 power amp and C370 integrated and the primare a30.1 integrated and matching a30.2 power amp.
to biamp, connect the integrated to the tweeter terminals at the speakers and connect the power amp to the bass/mid terminals. of course, you need to connect the preout to the power amp's main-in.
when using any integrated as a pre, it is better to use a power amp from the same company otherwise you may have problems matching the sound.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:24 am

mugenfoo wrote:
car o scope wrote:

Keep up the good work.

Ahhh.. but some wise old man somewherehere said that cannot trust wikipedia, becoz its no substitute for "experience" ! Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Icon_smile

Without knowledge, whence the experience?

Wikipedia is a source for knowledge.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 am

Wikipedia is written by everyday people. ANYONE who wants to contribute can simply write in Wikipedia. I know because one of my website readers contributed numerous articles in Wikipedia just so he can help promote my website for me at that time (he was a big fan and supporter). Wikipedia provides for mechanisms for others to counter contributions but they themselves seldom get involved in moderation of the contributions. If you read the fine print carefully, Wikipedia never commits to the absolute accuracy of their information.

It is up to the individual if you want to put all your faith in Wikipedia or not. Or if one prefers to believe in Wikipedia over experience.

For Audiolab integrated, be aware that some models requires you to do a mod internally in order to decouple the pre and power section. It depends on the production unit.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:39 pm

Thats correct !!! When I bought a used Hitachi HA-610, I noticed that there is
no Metal Coupling joining the Pre-out / Main in at the Rear.. Upon opening the cover, I noticed that it was Soldered (Joined Internally alreaddy) using the Soldering Lead Wire !!! What a clever way I thought !!! (because it eliminates dirty and dusty Coupling when left for years) So I have to break the soft Solder lead if I need to use it as Pre-Amp. Can a power amp or preamp be used together with an integrated amp? Icon_cool
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:41 pm

most of classics SS has these features, even with my coral SS
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:52 pm

For my (ex) Audiolab 8000A, I discovered the pre-out works without any mods. So I used it as a makeshift preamp to partner with my Acram Aplha 8 last time. But interestingly when I tried to use it (the 8000A) as a power amp (i.e. feeding into the power-in connectors, no sound came out. So it seems the pre-out can be used as it is but the power-in must require some kind of mods internally. So it's something to be mindful of as well.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down