Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July!

+13
wingman
Mikapoh
elhefe
unig
JSoo1
joeling
Clarence
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Wikin
SHL-5
WongKN
htkaki
jokiarch
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Will You be attending the 2011 KLIAV Show?

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap33%2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 45 ]
2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap30%2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 30% 
[ 42 ]
2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap22%2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 22% 
[ 30 ]
2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 17 ]
2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap3%2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 138

Poll closed

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 Empty Re: 2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July!

Post by cmboy Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:03 pm

I seem amazed experiencing with some Blurrraudio! or is it me becoming blurr sotong. Rolling Eyes
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 Empty Re: 2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July!

Post by unig Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:00 pm

aik? no booth babes pics?

unig

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 am

wingman wrote:WK...

Somethig that me and my wife were looking forward with the resurrection of LP's / TT's.

A TT as the source side by side with the CD but did not come across any rooms with this setup.

Or did I miss any room that has this setup ?

cheers Very Happy

WM,
I remember several rooms had both digital and turntable sources, e.g. the one that pop into my head was the Spendor room. However, none of them were really attempting to do a side-by-side comparison as after all, their objective is to promote their key exhibit, in the case of the Spendor room, the range of Spendor speakers. I did not notice if the CMY analog rooms, esp the one with the Master reference or the Innovation had a digital source there as well.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:02 pm

I visited the show again today afternoon, this time bringing my wife. Spent 4 hours there today. Thanks to the many people who made special effort to make my wife feel welcome; COS, JoKi, Kenny @ HiWay Laser, Tropical Audio, and others.

One thing that took me by surprise is that the sound of several systems have changed from Thursday. And by quite a bit. The CMY Clearaudio Master Reference for e.g. sounded quite a bit better today than on Thursday when it was suffering from a bass boom. The Innovation downstairs at Level-4 on the other hand, was in a reverse situation. Perhaps it is a result of equipments running in. Several rooms with good sound had thin-ish, ear piercing sound today, Some rooms with not so good sound was very nice today. I suspect the exhibitors were moving things around over the past 3 days. Plus those with new equipment, like the ATC at HiWay Laser (Kenny says its only 2 or 3 days old) are now experiencing the running in phase. The ATC sounded much more open but the thunderous bass is missing today, a symptom of an equipment running in, IMHO.

Again I remain impressed by all the exhibitors in the way they have managed to get their system to work in the much much less than ideal conditions at the show. Of course the fact that I got my AV Receiver at a great bargain from HiWay Laser probably contributed to my happy mood ! Laughing
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:13 am

WKN....

We got back home and plugged up my home setup. Tried on the "jennifer warnes" CD and was impressive but still missing that little piece. After lots of comparison we decided the upgrade can wait but we would focus on adding on more LP's and CD's to our collection.... and turn our focus on our AV setup.

Some of the rooms were impressive with their setup. Still our preference were still with the Naim's and the Harbeth's. The exhibitors were very accomodating to our many questions and agree with you that they were focusing on their primary show piece. Hope fully next show the focus would be on a TT as the primary source.

But the TV's and the AV receivers were a real bargain. Did not get either but will sure get one soon....Hari Raya Sale at Desa Home.

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:35 am

WongKN wrote:I visited the show again today afternoon, this time bringing my wife. Spent 4 hours there today. Thanks to the many people who made special effort to make my wife feel welcome; COS, JoKi, Kenny @ HiWay Laser, Tropical Audio, and others.

One thing that took me by surprise is that the sound of several systems have changed from Thursday. And by quite a bit. The CMY Clearaudio Master Reference for e.g. sounded quite a bit better today than on Thursday when it was suffering from a bass boom. The Innovation downstairs at Level-4 on the other hand, was in a reverse situation. Perhaps it is a result of equipments running in. Several rooms with good sound had thin-ish, ear piercing sound today, Some rooms with not so good sound was very nice today. I suspect the exhibitors were moving things around over the past 3 days. Plus those with new equipment, like the ATC at HiWay Laser (Kenny says its only 2 or 3 days old) are now experiencing the running in phase. The ATC sounded much more open but the thunderous bass is missing today, a symptom of an equipment running in, IMHO.

Again I remain impressed by all the exhibitors in the way they have managed to get their system to work in the much much less than ideal conditions at the show. Of course the fact that I got my AV Receiver at a great bargain from HiWay Laser probably contributed to my happy mood ! Laughing
I did not have the time to go through all the systems there. Last year, I went around twice. Jo's system sounded better yesterday.

Finally pulled the trigger on avr eh. Time for more BDs Very Happy
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 am

Yes Max, I need to talk to you, about those RM8 thingies..... Very Happy
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:56 am

Aiyah after checking the lovely pictures that joeling took on another thread, I realised that I accidentally skipped few high end setup man.

Focal, PMC monitor.. aiyoh... very sad la. Or maybe they never open on Friday?

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:17 am

adrian, they were opened on Fri. Perhaps you were there too early?
htkaki
htkaki

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:23 am

WM,

Yes, that's the way to go. Music first, must get a collection
of music that we like, then only the equipment. This happened to me at
this show too. The AVR is important enough that I need to get it on
Friday (so I can install and enjoy it on saturday). But was also
checking out the many media players. The dedicated music servers which I
like, like the Bryston BDP and the Electro Companiet are expensive. Then I saw the Dune
series of players, esp the Max model. At that price, perfect for my H/T
system, which means my TiVX can be relocated as the music server for my
'high-ish res' digital (eventhough it can't play flac files). Was
considering to splurge on that as well. But then even before the show, I
was already told to be ready because HiWay Laser and CMY are both
bringing in lots of LPs this year. Found out CMY is selling lots of used
Lps at reasonable prices. Then saw some LPs I like at HiWay as well. There goes
the Dune player budget ! Rerouted it to buy LPs. Equipment can wait esp
if there are alternatives (even if inferior ones). Music can't. Laughing

One
thing I like about places like HiWay, for regulars (and I would assume
for h4s forumers as well), we don't necessarily HAVE to buy at the show.
Several regulars were asking Kenny about prices after the show and he
told them 'show prices still valid after the show'. That's the way to go
man. So, raya shopping is in the works then ! Very Happy

FWIW,
CMY was playing CD at the level-4 room at one time and it definitely
did not sound as good as the Innovation. The digital sound was bright,
brittle and lightweight, and a bit ear piercing. Compared to the sound
they got from the Innovation, it was like what the chinese says "sky and
earth". In a few other rooms, the difference were closer, perhaps
because the TT used were not that high-end. Or maybe its setup.

Despite
all the hooh-hah about hi-res digital, didn't see any offered for sale.
I suppose downloading is still the trend. I used up my broadband quota
last month downloading music. But this month I have another 3G to go
again. If I continue like this, I probably need to upgrade my broadband
package. Was expecting my wife to find some nice 'audiophile' CDs she
like at the show, like those XRCD, etc. But she said none of them are worth buying,
not at the kind of prices at the show.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:22 pm

I noticed the Patricia Barber Cafe Blue album is likely a on going re-press-reissue, unsure the sound is as good as the 1st pressing some years ago, which I compared the back insert print to my 1st pressing I own. Its different and priced at RM80 a pop. Then there's a HDCD remastered version at Rm150 a pop. WOW! would that entice me to buy this at the show..NAHHHHHHHHHHH!..over priced piece of plastic!

I really have my doubts on numerous or countless albums that are being pressed/issued now, not to mention all so damn highly priced here, (e,g. Hugh Masekela Hope, Amanda Mcbroom Dream, Manger album some Proprius label, many more that are probably sought after for its great SQ) even with the so called discount and can be gotten even cheaper in some friendly hifi dealers or cd shops.

OK..I came back entirely empty handed, didn't even bother buying any new CD. Seen some LP's selling for Rm40 above and with scuffs, scratches, wanna sell at those price ah? krazzzzy! unless you insist to decorate your wall with nice LP covers.

To my observation when there, the software sales scenario is disappointing and nothing outstanding, no better than last year.

Just my personal view and don't let me deny anyone who's happy with the deals there or whatever they've bought. Cheerio!
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:47 pm

htkaki wrote:adrian, they were opened on Fri. Perhaps you were there too early?

hi HTkaki, my GPS said by 11:34am I should reach JW Marriot, and I ended up at destination at 1:30pm!! Thanks for the scary jam from Sg Besi to the Hotel..

BTW, Your simple Triangle setup was great sounding!

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by soonthas Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:14 am

After 2nd listening on Sun, PMC + Bryston ( not with the Tad cdp ) overall hifi sound performance was still ranked the best of the show...extended & refined highs, neutral mids and very controlled & articulate mid/midlow/low bass, excellent ambient, very low noise floor and overall sounded effortless & less clinical than many. Thanks to Mr James Tan for his very skillful correct set-up and tunings.

The Electrocompanient sys still came in 2nd best though the overall sound was not as good as with the removal of Synergistic Research Acoustic Art Resonators by its managing director Mr Low who was going back to Sg at noon.

The photo was taken after the resonators removed.

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 P1170421

The third best was Spendor + Sugden system for its good sound quality though not properly set up. The overall sound and imaging were weird initially where the vocal were not focused at the center of the soundstage. It was found that the Pre amp balance setting was incorrectly set.... The sound was back to Normal after the related staff rectified this balance setting.

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 P1170422

The Dynaudio, Nagra, Adam, Elac and affordable Epos systems shared the 4th place. Despite slightly boxy bass, the Rm990 Epos spks system nevertheless showed its capability to produce very good sound.

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 P1170510

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 P1170511

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 P1170423

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 P1170513

The Marten and Audionote system suprisingly sounded not as good as compared on Friday with more lightweight/clinical sound and weird bass-extremely big image of a small scale drum filling the whole soundstage, respectively.

The LS3/5a system sounded less transparent/refined due to overwhelming less-controlled mid low/low bass muddying the whole picture, slight midlow bass boom was detected.

The German Physiks system had undergone some extreme dynamic tortured tests which were not music enjoyment at all.

Those quite disappointing very high end systems posted before including the systems below were still sounded disappointing - clinical, lightweighted, noisy and ears piercing. The Focus Audio spks bass was boxy.

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 P1170512
2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 P1170424

The Harberths sounded struggling with unstable small scale imaging, they were struggling to sound good.

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 P1170514

The Xavians sounded too heavyweighted with midlow/low bass boom and dull- less highs, otherwise would be good sound.

2011 KLIAV Show - Calling All Attendees 29-31 July! - Page 2 P1170515

Cheers.

Last edited by soonthas on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total

soonthas
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 208

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:13 am

WongKN wrote:

One
thing I like about places like HiWay, for regulars (and I would assume
for h4s forumers as well), we don't necessarily HAVE to buy at the show.
Several regulars were asking Kenny about prices after the show and he
told them 'show prices still valid after the show'. That's the way to go
man. So, raya shopping is in the works then ! Very Happy

This is true Wong KN. Not only Kenny practice that for regulars, but also Desa and CMY. I actually wanted to buy some new ICs but the guy in CMY said, come to the shop lah as I always get AV show price anyway hehehe.

Desa also the same. In fact sometimes, after AV show can get even cheaper.

Last edited by elhefe on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:45 am

Wah elhefe, you Da Man. In the automobile circle we will say you 'own some shares' in CMY and DHT ! lol!
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:54 am

WongKN,

Yes I am Da Man.........

Whom is now broke and scratching my head looking at the credit card statement today. Ouch. Hahahaha.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Elhefe,

You know that famous tagline ?

"You are not alone" !!

lol!
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm

WongKN wrote:
"You are not alone" !!

Can single me out of that group. I came out entirely empty handed. Not that there's nothing to buy but I refuse to buy because especially cds were NOT a great bargain and every show made me much wiser not to fall for scam discounts. I could get cheaper at for example Popular bookstore clearing or heavily discounted sales. A true discount sales in my mind is at least 50% or more off the usual price, but its usually never.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Congrats to u cmboy. And I do agree actually on the CDs and BD in fact. The discount is one thing, the choices also were poor. I didnt buy any CDs and only bought 2 BDs. Compared to previos years, I usually come back with 10 to 20 BD and CDs.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks for the congrats, but thats not the only reason for not buying, and in the view of more expensive cost of living with either tightening the belt or better spent elsewhere, I need not say more.

I'm just trying to be more prudent this year or in the near future. Come Hari Raya holidays next month...I think its all obvious lah.

Anyhow, the only great consolation I had was meeting Gilad Tifenbrun (Linn UK MD) at the Perfect Hifi Linn room, got him to sign a Linn 1992 complilation cd (I heard he would be around and came prepared) and a couple of pics with him. Nope, I didn't chit chat with him.

IIRC, Philips Swift (Spendor) was one of the 2 original designer of early Audiolab gear, pity I don't own any Audiolab gear, so can't get any autograph, and don't expect me to haul a 8000A amp to sign...LOL! Laughing
On that note, I do fancy taking pics and getting touring artists or personalities to autograph some related media for keepsake. Already got quite a handful from great names over the years. Smile Must find out who's coming next AV show. Can't buy CD/DVD/BD/LP, go autograph hunting lor!!..
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:38 pm

The LPs are better. After discount from Kenny, I got the MFSL issue of Santana Abraxas at just a bit above the price as I would have bought from Acoustic Sounds mail-order. As I already have a long list of LPs I intend to buy -somemore- from AS, I decided to just get this one MFSL LP at the show eventhough I am spending a bit more. Actually the idea is to be able to check the sound quality of the latest MFSL issues as they are using a new mastering machine. It was a good move as it sounded very good. The new MFSL Gain mastering system certainly brings out the life from the old master tapes.

The used LPs I bought are quite good sounding as well, but very dirty. There are crackles even after cleaning. Looks like I need to clean again.

Prudency in spending is always a smart choice in today's economic climate. We never know what might hit us out of the blue.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 pm

I have the original long ago print of MFSL CD of Santana Abraxas and its super super! There is now a 21st century re-issue of the same album by Mobile Fidelity. I wonder how it compares. Anyway, I'm confident of MF's albums, new or old issues, they're like no other.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Later when I buy the other titles in the MFSL catalog, I would be able to compare, the MFSL issue vs the best of the original 1st pressing.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ultrageek Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:03 am

Glad I'm not the only one to have felt that the cd/dvd/BD section was a rip off! I actually bought a few BD's that were at the same price outside of the show...
I don't know whether they are hoping that we would be their sui yee or... but sorry. It just doesn't cut it when last year's BD price drop was more significant than this years one.

So I only came back with 1 BD - Watchmen. Was tempted with the Back to the Future Trilogy... until I saw the Speedy logo on the box. So I put it back. Smile

ultrageek

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:05 am

Ultra Geek....

Why this phenomenon is any one's guess....but it happens every where....people are WEB savy, prudent in their purchases. Unless you have endless supply of the vitamin "M".

The mindset of the general public is " if there is an event... it should be cheap". So that rest falls into a puzzle.

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2