Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement.

5 posters

Go down

URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Empty URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement.

Post by eugenecctan Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi all sifus,

I want to ask all sifus's opinion on speakers placement. I need to know it urgently because I am going to buy speaker cables tomorrow.

Can i place my front speakers close to each other?

where should i place my surround speakers. Both of the surround speakers is it must be in the same distance as my seat? How high my surround speakers have to be place above my ears? and how should my surround speakers face?

Really appreciate for any suggestion.

URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Dscn5112
Picture at left front corner
URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Dscn5113
Picture at right front corner
URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Dscn5114
Picture at left end corner
URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Dscn5115
Picture at right end corner

Lastly, want to ask about Pioneer Series 3 Speaker System and Pioneer S-51W sub woofer, is it good enough? Any owner here?

Here is the website.
www.pioneermalaysia.com.my/product_details.php?id=354

Welcome any feedback.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
ET

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Empty Re: URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement.

Post by eugenecctan Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:04 am

Any sifus? and where can i get the mounting point with adjustable angle so that my surround sound speakers will face down.. thanks.

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Empty Re: URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement.

Post by WongKN Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:18 am

Proper wall mounting brackets for rear speakers can be obtained from places like HiWay Laser, CMY, etc. I got mine from HiWay. For rear speakers it's best to point them towards you as much as possible. For front speakers, the more freedom you have in placement, the better soundstaging you will get. BUT THEN, a lot depends on the size of the TV or screen. In this case, if you put the speakers too far apart, imaging of the soundtrack will not tally with what is on the screen so it will spoil your enjoyment of the movie. My personal opinion is that your current placement seems OK. But because it seems quite close together, don't expect very good surround effects.

Sorry, no experience with Pioneer speakers. If you have the budget, go for an SVS sub.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks WongKN. =)

My personal opinion is that your current placement seems OK. But because it seems quite close together, don't expect very good surround effects.

Surround sound is from Surround speakers right? So I can have better surround effects by putting my surround speakers on the wall behind, right?

I am planning to get Pioneer Series 3 Speaker System and Pioneer subwoofer S-51W. But I couldn't find any reviews on these... Btw, just get myself 14 gauge speaker wires, look very promising, anyhow, I knw that speaker wire not really important, but since 14 gauge wire is not very expensive (those that selling at Jalan Pasar). so, I just bought. Very Happy

Something to share here, the truth about speaker wire ->
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Speaker cables (or wires as you call them) are VERY important. That roger-russell website is just promoting their personal opinion. My personal experience is that in a good system, if you have shitty cables, then you still get shitty sound. Cables allows the equipment to perform properly.

Spearkers, no matter AV or HiFi, do need a bit of space to breathe. So if you place them very close together, or in congested conditions, they won't shine.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:19 am

Thanks Wong, Hope that my speaker cables will perform well for my new HT.
So maybe I should consider to put them further away. Actually the place I sit always not more than 3meter from my front speakers, will this affect my front speakers placement? Any suggestion on the distance between front speakers.
Thanks again.

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:40 am

Best is for you to experiment and try out the various combos.

There is a group of hifi dudes that promote "near field" listening, while there are also another school of thought that promotes big life-like stages for speaker & listening positions.

No one can really tell you what really works for your own unique environment. You just got to try out till u find the sound you want.

Of course, while you're doing that, should also go around and listen to other people's setups as well, and also some shop demo / setups as well, until a point where you would be able to tell if the shop's demo setup is really done right or not (because some of these hifi shops just set up a system for the sake of it and don't really take the effort to set up a proper presentation).

Just to name a few shops that really take the effort to "properly set up their equipment" (and in no particular order or rank):

1. Music by Design, Jaya-ONE
2. Audio Image, Sec.19 PJ
3. Nova Hifi, Jaya-ONE
4. CMY at Damansara Utama
5. RAVE at PNB DARBY PARK, KL
5. ... plus a few others i can't seem to recall at the moment.

Listening is free.... the lessons quietly learned, are invaluable.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:49 am

Thanks Mugenfoo.. I will put to 6 feets apart, current 3 feets.
1 more question, can I put my front speakers near to the side and back wall?
I have no choice for the side (due to my room's limited area available) but I can put the front speakers away from the back wall, any suggestion?

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:19 am

eugenecctan wrote:Thanks Mugenfoo.. I will put to 6 feets apart, current 3 feets.
I have no choice for the side (due to my room's limited area available) but I can put the front speakers away from the back wall, any suggestion?

make home visits, check on setups doing "surround" with 2 channels, maybe there exists some URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Icon_biggrin

cheers

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:48 pm

eugenecctan wrote:Thanks Mugenfoo.. I will put to 6 feets apart, current 3 feets.

The most obvious change in sound when u move the speakers nearer or further from the backwall would be the bass response. Experiment until u get the best compromise between good dynamic bass bu without it booming and giving u a nasty headache.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:33 pm

URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. New_sp11

Please help to comment on my new speakers placement, just the front speakers. Since the left front speaker is near to the wall, so i position it further a bit from the center (mid point ->TV), and should i leave some gap between the front wall and front speakers? or just put the front speakers as close as the wall? Thanks.

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:33 pm

The left side is going to boom alot more than the right side. And since you compensated by making the TV the centre point, there is a high possibility that the soundstaging is really going to be distorted and skewed.

Perhaps you should shift your entire system right-wards... if space permits.

Place the subwoofer at the leftmost corner, tuck it in to optimise it's bass performance. Then let both the front L & R speakers "breathe" abit (away from the side walls) ....

Symmetry of your front speakers relative to the room is crucial.

Disclaimer:
This is just from looking at your pictures of only one small portion of your room... my suggestions could be totally wrong here.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:01 am

Thanks Mugenfoo,
Btw, the TV is not center point, the left front speakers to the TV (center) is 1.15 meter apart and the right front speaker to the TV (center) is 0.9 meter apart. (due to the reason of left side is going to be boom alot more, so the Left front Speaker is further a bit to the center point.)

Place the subwoofer at the leftmost corner, tuck it in to optimise it's bass performance. Then let both the front L & R speakers "breathe" abit (away from the side walls) ....

The only way to put my Subwoofer to the leftmost corner is to put back the pair of front speakers like the first Picture in this topic. But then the front speakers will too close to each other, just 3 feet apart. Any better suggestion?

Lastly, my new subwoofer is down firing, will it make any different on placement?

Disclaimer:
This is just from looking at your pictures of only one small portion of your room... my suggestions could be totally wrong here.

No worries, Very Happy, all of the suggestion did help me a lot. I am still in learning process.

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:08 pm

URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. New_pl10

How about this? hmmm, but then have to mount the TV on top of my Computer Table, (a bit high) and use 1 table instead of 2. So that will have more space for front speakers from the side and front wall.

Or do u think i can put the LCD TV on top of my computer table, can the computer table supports the weight of LCD TV?

Or, I should stick to my old speakers placement? welcome any suggestion.

Thanks.

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Happy Chinese New Year for all KAKIs here. Very Happy

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:37 pm

eugenecctan wrote:URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. New_pl10

How about this? hmmm, but then have to mount the TV on top of my Computer Table, (a bit high) and use 1 table instead of 2. So that will have more space for front speakers from the side and front wall.

Or do u think i can put the LCD TV on top of my computer table, can the computer table supports the weight of LCD TV?

Or, I should stick to my old speakers placement? welcome any suggestion.

Thanks.

what are you trying/expecting to achieve with this arrangement or that? reasonable imaging/soundstaging, width/depth/height or what? good bass response or beguiling tonality?

i suggest you to make home visits rather than hoping "online doctors" to render remote help URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Icon_biggrin you believe me or not, this is my sincere advice URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Icon_smile

regards

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Maybe, and only if they have the same sharp as my room, and they need to place a PC beside the HT, (for HTPC). Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion, will visit more showroom maybe.

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Not visit more showroom la.......visit more home setup la......then your listening experience will widen.......u learn much much faster than just visit showrooms. URGENT: Wanna ask about speakers placement. Icon_lol

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by eugenecctan Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:42 pm

=), sure, HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR for all forumers.

eugenecctan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down