Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Floorstander choice

+6
car o scope
chua55
sflam
hoyhoysum
san sew
hifikrazy
10 posters

Go down

Floorstander choice Empty Floorstander choice

Post by hifikrazy Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:22 am

Sifus...Which of the following floorstanders should I choose?...

ATC SCM40
Proac Response D18
Spendor A6
Egglestonworks Fontaine II

Currently, this is my system:
Naim CD5 XS
Audio Research SP16L
Bryston 3BSST
Usher Be-718

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Floorstander choice Empty which floorstander

Post by san sew Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi

For me Dynaudio beats them all, and better is the bookshelf. Just chose the model that suits you and add a good hifi sub if needed for the lower frequencies. You will get a best speaker, very fast and good on hi-amps, plus the flexibility of self fixing of your low freqs. By the way did you know the Sonus Fabers high lines like the Cremona uses Dynaudio drivers... check that online with photos.

san sew
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Back to top Go down

Floorstander choice Empty Re: Floorstander choice

Post by hifikrazy Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks for your comments San Sew. Unfortunately I really am not a fan of bookshelf and sub combination - I just think it comes with too many integration issues that I don't want to face. I am wanting to move towards a full range floorstander after hearing what speakers like the Wilson Audio Sophia, Dynaudio Sapphire and Naim Ovator can do. Of course none of my shortlist above is anywhere close to being "full range", but then again my room isn't really large enough to accommodate those speakers (even if I could afford them). So I guess if Dynaudio beats them all, I should also be shortlisting their floorstanders but unfortunately their Contour S3.4 is not within budget, and I don't think their Excite or Focus model range is that good. BTW, the Egglestonworks Fontaine II uses the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter, so I assume that will get your vote among the speakers I shortlisted.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:11 pm

You are right best is to go with a fullrange floorstander. I also try not go that route of Bookshelf and sub.... You save on the stands, good stands not cheap, money better spend on the floorstander. Btw what is you previous speaker and your music preference?
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:46 pm

How come it's such a coincidence that all 3 of us in this discussion are 42 years old? Floorstander choice Icon_biggrin

Currently using Usher Be-718. I usually listen to female vocals and some modern type jazz like Fourplay.

Not using the Usher matching stands, so the other pain in the butt with bookshelf speakers is trying to place the speaker perfectly aligned on the smaller top plate. Floorstander choice Icon_evil

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:44 pm

i am using the atc scm40 with bryston 4b sst.
quite happy with this combo.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:10 pm

currently using dynaudio focus 140. did someone say subwoofer required? it is more of the gears matching up to the speakers.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:56 pm

san sew wrote:Hi

For me Dynaudio beats them all, and better is the bookshelf. Just chose the model that suits you and add a good hifi sub if needed for the lower frequencies. You will get a best speaker, very fast and good on hi-amps, plus the flexibility of self fixing of your low freqs. By the way did you know the Sonus Fabers high lines like the Cremona uses Dynaudio drivers... check that online with photos.

I think the latest models no longer use Dynaudio drivers.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:02 pm

sflam wrote:i am using the atc scm40 with bryston 4b sst.
quite happy with this combo.

sflam, the ATC's usually quote a bass frequency response that does not go very low (I guess atrributable to their sealed box design). Do you find the bass lacking at all? Could you share what other speakers you auditioned before settling on the ATC, and what made you decide on the ATC? Thanks a lot!

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:24 pm

hifikrazy wrote:Sifus...Which of the following floorstanders should I choose?...

ATC SCM40
Proac Response D18
Spendor A6
Egglestonworks Fontaine II

Currently, this is my system:
Naim CD5 XS
Audio Research SP16L
Bryston 3BSST
Usher Be-718

I'll take the Proac Response D18 but beware of ridiculous pricing from local dealer. Since you're already using Usher speakers why not also consider the Mini Dancer 1 or if your budget can stretch to it the Dancer Mini 2? The upgraded models with diamond coated tweeters have just been launched.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:03 pm

3 of the 4 speakers above are in the GBP2000 to GBP2200 range, and similarly priced here in Malaysia at RM12k to RM13K. Of course not as cheap as in UK based on current exchange rates but I guess that's understandable.

Somehow, the Ushers don't really turn me on...

I guess I"ll at least wait until the AV show next month and see if it helps me decide. I remember listening to the Spendor last year (which didn't impress me either) and have not heard them since.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:13 pm

hifikrazy wrote:

sflam, the ATC's usually quote a bass frequency response that does not go very low (I guess atrributable to their sealed box design). Do you find the bass lacking at all? Could you share what other speakers you auditioned before settling on the ATC, and what made you decide on the ATC? Thanks a lot!

i tried the proac studio 140 and d28. proacs are good speakers, but the d28 that i liked cost more (around RM25k) than the atc scm40 (around RM15k).

the atcs are good cos they can play any type of music - from rap to classical to rock.

as for bass, the scm40 goes sufficiently low, but not as low as the scm50 (which costs $$$$ - perhaps RM40k - more).

however, the atcs are not sensitive - mine is 85dB. they need powerful amps.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:37 pm

[quote="hifikrazy"]How come it's such a coincidence that all 3 of us in this discussion are 42 years old? Floorstander choice Icon_biggrin

Yah! Btw i suddenly realize that my reputation rated at 5? What does it mean is it good or is it bad? Shocked
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:29 pm

[quote="hoyhoysum"]
hifikrazy wrote:How come it's such a coincidence that all 3 of us in this discussion are 42 years old? Floorstander choice Icon_biggrin

Yah! Btw i suddenly realize that my reputation rated at 5? What does it mean is it good or is it bad? Shocked

It's a good thing. Simply put, your comments have been rated positively 5 times. Floorstander choice Icon_biggrin
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jemmi Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:33 pm

From your list I prefer Proac but if you're not in hurry, try audition Harbeth SHL5 & Dynaudio 1.4. You don't need subwoofer for bass (music) with both speaker. I like both of the speaker coz reasonable price & high used price (easy to sell later) but most important very musical & easy to handle/setup.
jemmi
jemmi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:33 pm

I dun think the SHL5 super dun need a subwoofer! The monitor 40 maybe.

Have u listen to any good sounding systems with subwoofer(s) recently? Do share if u have.

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:17 pm

jemmi, I don't think there would be much difference for me to move from one similar range bookshelf to another (Usher Be-718 to Dynaudio Contour S1.4). We get the Usher relatively cheaper in Malaysia, but both cost the same USD2800 over in the States.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Shoot, what have I done?? I kaypoh and clicked the "Thanks" button on sflam's post above and turned it light blue!! Floorstander choice Icon_eek

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down