Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Setup Suggestion for New Entry

+6
zeebee
chenht
mofaz
beyondpain79
WongKN
gkl83
10 posters

Go down

Setup Suggestion for New Entry Empty Setup Suggestion for New Entry

Post by gkl83 Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:34 am

hi guys, i planned to update myself from mini hifi system (used 1 year) to AV receiver but have some budget constraint (Rm2500-Rm2800)... as checked around, quite number of audiophiles suggested for pioneer 920, onkyo 508, denon 1611 & others, seem a bit out of budget & i dont need 7.1... so the best AV receiver i can work out is pioneer 820 as can support for MCACC, OSD & USB...

initally i planeed for Onkyo HT-S3300 but seem it come with passive subwoofer and worry no enough ohmmm... later i quoted for pioneer 520 + s-rs3tb (todoroki) but i disklike the floor stander speaker and without USB... later i think for 580 but paired with old & used Onkyo skf-330f & custom 12" active sufwoofer, but worry will overkill 580 or not as smaller spakers used...

Here my list as below:
1. Onkyo HT-S3300 (but without active subwoofer)
2. pioneer 520 + s-rs3tb (dislike floor stander, but speaker designed for heavy bass only?)
3. pioneer 580 + old used Onkyo skf-330f & custom 12" active sufwoofer (overkill 580?)
4. pioneer HTP-TSS51 (selling at harvey norman, but customize-able to 580?)
5. pioneer HTP-820SW (with 820 and design better than todoroki at least, prcie may exceed Rm3k i think)

Actually i prefer the setup 3 as above that 580 paired with smaller speakers to save some space around my living room at least, prefer all the speakers will locate on top of TV cabinet instead as worry my baby may accidentally bang the floor stander and scratched, heart broke... Crying or Very sad

please suggest me as i no experienced in AV system before... worry i may end up the wrong setup and my wife no allowed to change/upgrade again within 3-5 years Evil or Very Mad i will drop by Desa HT Kepong next week have a look, pls suggest me any AV shops which i can the setup as above with reasonable pricing,...

gkl83

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-02-06

Back to top Go down

Setup Suggestion for New Entry Empty Re: Setup Suggestion for New Entry

Post by WongKN Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Not sure if they have anything in your budget range but try also CMY (there's a shop in 1-Utama, one in Sunway Pyramid, one in Uptown Damansara, one in Sungei Wang, and so forth), and also HiWay Laser - one in Pandan Jaya and one in SS2. Others should also have their recomeendations as well. If HiWay Laser in SS2, Kenny the 'taikor' is I believe a regular here. I believe CMY also has some people lurking here in this forum. AV Design is also very famous with A/V but I am not sure if they have anything in your budget range or not (note : having a budget should not be anything to be sorry for, I don't think anyone of us here have unlimited amount of money to spend).
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:20 am

Wong, Thank for suggestion...

HL? personally think quite ego as i felt based on "attitude" in LYN forum... i asked for trade in my cheapo hifi combo and he (should be Kenny if justify from signature) started to ignored me even though i sent 4 msg for more inquiry, can reply me if no allowed to trade in cheapo setup, nothing harm... unlike a LYN forumer selling RM199 media player reply me proudly and suggested to "throw" away my current weak media player instead... lol... i love those business attitude as customer service quality always my priority... so seem HL only want to deal with rich people only as experienced... Mad shame that i shown my wife and point the shop when i passing SS2 last week that i will deal with for my coming AV setup in the future... Rolling Eyes sorry to offended HL...

i passing by CMY sunway pyramid yesterday, seem selling mostly tube amp only, believe most of them will out of my budget and no suitable for my requirements, i more for movie & music, no vocal or concert type...

hence look thru A&L audio website, seem out of my budget and the yamaha amp features no good enough compare to pioneer...

I will visit Desa HT kepong by this week...

anyway, i saw HTP-820SW seem lesser hassle for new entry... good to go? because as concerned that if do customization with separate amp and speaker may cost more than a complete set...

Last edited by gkl83 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by beyondpain79 Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:11 pm

will give u some ide..
ive got my home theater for 3.3k
they are:
marantz sr4002 = 1.3k
boston acoustic mcs 100 (5 satellite & 1 8" sub woofer) = 1.7k
pioneer dvd hdmi = rm300

i dont like the pioneer package cos the sound dont fill my cup
also u can drop by at style laser cheras..
the price will drop by time,
the desa price normally dont have discount..even the product is discontinue

beyondpain79

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by mofaz Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:54 pm

you let your wife to decide if you can up-grade or not ? Sad ..if thats the case you're in a wrong hobby Cool

mofaz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:15 pm

beyondpain79:
thanks for sharing... can i have the style laser address? is it 148, Jalan Cerdas, Taman Connaught Jalan Cheras, Cheras, Wilayah Persekutuan, 56000, 03-9100-3023... if no mistaken the shop look alike normal electronic shop... i checking around Marantz website, but seem all of the is 7.1... should be dont have any model have is 5.1... hm.... i guess u prefer clean music the Jazz or vocal type and used Marantz amp, right? any possibility that no enough omphhhh for action movie like transformer, avatar and fast and furious?

mofaz:
my wife restricted my wallet is because she concerned on my future commitment for my new born baby... Embarassed she trying to save but i trying to spent... Twisted Evil

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:05 pm

gkl83, I always advice people in your situation like this:

1. Decide exactly what you want/need in your AV receiver : e.g. HDMI input capability, DTS HD (MA), TrueHD, etc. Bear in mind the more fancy and up to date the feature, the more you have to pay. Also decide how much power you want, depending on the speakers.
2. Since CNY is already over, surely you can wait a while longer right ? Do you HAVE to buy NOW ? If not, can you wait a few more months. KLAVS 2011 is just over 5 months away. Set aside your budget, make sure you don't spend it. In fact, try to save a bit for the next 5 months to top up on the budget. During KLAVS 2011, all the major AV players will be in one place (in Jln Bukit Bintang) and you can check out everything in one go with only RM10 entrance fee (may be a bit more this year ?). Also usually they have special deals then and you might be able to find some great buys.
3. In the meantime, depending on your wish-list, keep a sharp eye on the 'for sale' forum in this board. Someone might be selling a used unit which might fit you perfectly and assuming you don't mind pre-owned, you will get a bargain (much depends on how you negotiate with the seller of course).
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Actually there are quite a few AV amps in the for-sale forum right now and their prices seems to be within your budget. Even the specs seems quite commensurate with what you want. Check them out.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi Wong,

r u means the skeletor's sales thread for amp and speaker? as checked / surveyed around the pricing no competitive enough, no worth to pay cash for the same price with AV shops and other sources...

actually i dont mind to wait for the KLIAV, i can agreed that massive discount will provided for hi-end/latest products... but just wondering how much discount can offer for cheap/low-end setup... and may end up that i getting more expensive setup after the posion from exhibition... lol... cyclops

hence my wife recommended me to get new units instead as concerned on warranty issues and can avoid me for spending additional funds again to upgrade/replacement on my setup for the next few years... i dont mind for used units, so a bit dilemma in between... bounce

anyway, i will try to audit diffent setup and brands 1st before any purchase... Smile

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by chenht Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

gkl83 wrote:Wong, Thank for suggestion...

hiway laser... personally think quite ego as i felt based on "attitude" in LYN forum... i asked for trade in my cheapo hifi combo and he (should be Kenny if justify from signature) started to ignored me even though i sent 4 msg for more inquiry, can reply me if no allowed to trade in cheapo setup, nothing harm... unlike a LYN forumer selling RM199 media player reply me proudly and suggested to "throw" away my current weak media player instead... lol... i love those business attitude as customer service quality always my priority... so seem hiway laser only want to deal with rich people only as experienced... Mad shame that i shown my wife and point the shop when i passing SS2 last week that i will deal with for my coming AV setup in the future... Rolling Eyes sorry to offended hiway laser...

i passing by CMY sunway pyramid yesterday, seem selling mostly tube amp only, believe most of them will out of my budget and no suitable for my requirements, i more for movie & music, no vocal or concert type...

hence look thru A&L audio website, seem out of my budget and the yamaha amp features no good enough compare to pioneer...

I will visit Desa HT kepong by this week...

anyway, i saw HTP-820SW seem lesser hassle for new entry... good to go? because as concerned that if do customization with separate amp and speaker may cost more than a complete set...

I got a different treatment from Kenny.

I went to his shop sometime last year and listened to an Esoteric X05. I jokingly asked Kenny if I could bring it home with me for detailed audition. To my suprise, Kenny said yes. I expected him to record down my IC or driving license detail but all he asked from me was my contact number. I kept the CD player for almosy 2 weeks and he never called me to return the loaner.

When I returned him the demo unit, I felt so embarrassed and I bought some Cardas cable lifters from Kenny to show my appreciation. Kenny even gave me a very good price on the cable lifters.

I did not know Kenny before and I must admit I was truly flattered. I have never experienced customer service to the level Kenny offered. I must say dealing with Kenny is the most pleasant experiecen I ever had with a HiFi shop.
chenht
chenht
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Cary Audio
Amplification: Eletrocompaniet
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:32 am

chenht wrote:
I got a different treatment from Kenny.
maybe he prefer potential buyers with own AV setup + deep pocket? or maybe dislike youngster with shallow pocket? or he dislike to deal business via internet/forum? he online few hours ago, but no single reply for any of my messages... sad to treated in such ways... i dont think i did something wrong, just too much questions before any purchase as i'm AV newbie with cheapo Hifi... Sad no comments here...

i'm glad if he can welcome me since i have much questions difficulties to be answer via forum... hence my boss one of audio freaks too looking for subwoofer replacement, maybe i can giving him business indirectly if i gained more information about his products first... hence, i trying to deal a business with him based on my requirements or suggest me the similiar setup, but ignored too... no idea why... end up i have to source for other AV sellers... Rolling Eyes

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by beyondpain79 Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:38 am

I think the address is correct..
well, before, i was like u..got small amount of money..
and then involve in this kind of hobby..
what i learned is, if u want the high end setups..and got only small budget..
u need to buy the 2nd hand unit, all u need is to check the units before buying it..normally marantz av amp dont have much problems unless the pre owner dont even take care of it..
Marantz amp will provide u the bang bang boom sound..depend on ur sub woofer..i prefer marantz coz im a 40% movies and 60% musics..tested denon, yamaha, onkyo, pioneer and i choose marantz for the best sound..anyway..its all up 2 u, let ur ear judge it not others
if u buying at AV Show..maybe theres a small discount given..but if u prefer tested and try a different setup during the show..for me, its really not comfortable..too many people and small space..
normally i go there and enjoy the high end music without thinking of buying them..

beyondpain79

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 am

gkl83 wrote:Hi Wong,

r u means the skeletor's sales thread for amp and speaker? as checked / surveyed around the pricing no competitive enough, no worth to pay cash for the same price with AV shops and other sources...

actually i dont mind to wait for the KLIAV, i can agreed that massive discount will provided for hi-end/latest products... but just wondering how much discount can offer for cheap/low-end setup... and may end up that i getting more expensive setup after the posion from exhibition... lol... cyclops

hence my wife recommended me to get new units instead as concerned on warranty issues and can avoid me for spending additional funds again to upgrade/replacement on my setup for the next few years... i dont mind for used
units, so a bit dilemma in between... bounce

anyway, i will try to audit diffent setup and brands 1st before any purchase... Smile

gkl83,

Welcome to the insatiable world of our hifi hobby (aka hifi hell) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

You basically have some ideas of what you need, perhaps a place or dealers who is sympatico with your needs will be the last piece of the AV jigsaw u r trying to solve. I will not dwell on this 'local dealer' matter', you have had your fair share of experience already on this.

You have a wise wife, she is correct that for AV you should get the latest tech has to offer at the best price you can afford. KN Wong has basically covered the do's and don'ts for your selection. Do be realistic though as some may offer something like (for example) '7.1 multi room capabilties which IMHO u may not need in a small room or a space u share with your family. I believe u should get at least HDMI 1.4 capable, (if 3D is in your future set up, which of course needs a 3D capable BD player and TV). Your amp power ratings may need a bit of consideration but shouldn't be too much of a priorities.

Ideally the best u wait n see what's on offer at the KLIAV 2011, but I'm pretty sure that today's AV technology, as per today 8 February 2011, will be outdated by the time the KLIAV is on Embarassed .. but if expecting 'massive' discounts, suffice to say the dealers weren't born yesterday Very Happy

I'm sure the kakis in the forum will vouch, by the sheer numbers of spare/idling/'waiting to be sold' spare amps (and AV amps), speakers, power cords, interconnects, the list is endless Very Happy lurking in the boxes, dark corners or spaces in their homes, there will be no end to this hobby.. Crying or Very sad
until you choose to.

Good luck and enjoy your hobby buddy and Happy Chinese New Year...

My hopping two sens worth..

zeebee
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:48 am

zeebee wrote:
Ideally the best u wait n see what's on offer at the KLIAV 2011, but I'm pretty sure that today's AV technology, as per today 8 February 2011, will be outdated by the time the KLIAV is on Embarassed .. but if expecting 'massive' discounts, suffice to say the dealers weren't born yesterday Very Happy

I'm sure the kakis in the forum will vouch, by the sheer numbers of spare/idling/'waiting to be sold' spare amps (and AV amps), speakers, power cords, interconnects, the list is endless Very Happy lurking in the boxes, dark corners or spaces in their homes, there will be no end to this hobby.. Crying or Very sad
until you choose to.

Good luck and enjoy your hobby buddy and Happy Chinese New Year...

My hopping two sens worth..

zeebee
your comments are worth for future references.

i understood too that this hobby is the endless deep caves... that the reasons my wife trying to prevent more investment after some new poison in the future... Twisted Evil that one of reasons i skipped KLIAV 2010... lol... technology never end, assumed i bought latest & more expensive setup at KLIAV when Jun 2011, afraid new model launched again when 2012... Rolling Eyes same happened to my neighbour bought 50" pioneer LCD cost him RM11800 (slash price from RM20k due to last batch of pioneer LCD) last 2 year ago, he tended to get new replacement now due to current new technology... Rolling Eyes i told him i still using 32" HD ready now... lol....

i think most probably i may end up with pioneer due to current requirement & budget, but still will do audition 1st before any purchase... may wait till my children grown up and go for another high-end proper setup which suit for old man's ear... Laughing

but still, appreciate anyone can share your new entry setup and price as references ease to search for better setup Smile

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:30 am

Officially I have no comment on the episode with Kenny. Basically if I put someone's name down, it means I have dealt with them and my experience have been good enough for me to risk my reputation recommending them. But we must understanding there is always an issue of human-human relationship (what we buddhist calls 'karma'). Also sometimes timing can be critical. Also, there are lots of other possibilities that can happen. So this is all I will say on the matter.

I'd always think the KLAVS is a godsend for those who wants to buy but is unclear exactly what they want. In the KLAVS, every dealer has an open door basically (well, almost every dealer. Last year there were some with doors seemingly permanently closed. I'd always wonder why they bother to exhibit in that case). Also, there is always a good potential for discount as some dealers like Desa HT for e.g., will be carting tons of equipment to the show for special clearance. And just like the PC Fair, they are reluctant to have to cart the lot back. However, UNLIKE PC Fair, HiFi/AV dealers are generally more professional. The advertised prices typically stays. If they slash price, they slash it officially. If they give special discount, it will typically be for special cases, like regular customer (there will ALWAYS be a special treatment for repeat and regular customers. It is plain common sense in business. If one cannot accept this fact of life, then I feel one should not bother to indulge in this hobby.) So to me, it is not as rowdy and pasar malam-ish as the PC Fair. This also means that if you go early and buy early, you won't suffer in agony finding out they slash price significantly on the last day. BUT like PC Fair, there is a better chance of negotiating a SLIGHTLY better deal on the last day, when potentially just one more sale and they might be able to send one less lorry over to carry the things back. And that is a lot of cost savings for them.

There has been a tendency for beginners to ask a lot of questions. It is fair and it is sensible. BUT, one should also be fair to the dealer. Many of the smaller more personal dealers, unlike Harvey Norman or BEST DENKI, operates on a smaller margin, simply because they have lower volume. So they operate on a 'lean and mean' basis. This means minimum staff and very basic and core services. It also means common sense. I.e. if someone has already bought and needs more information on how to use the equipment, any sane dealer will give priority to the person, over someone who is still 'browsing' or even 'considering'. To the smaller, more specialized shops, PERSONALISED service and AFTER SALES service is more important. Ask most forumers here and they will agree that how they are treated AFTER they have paid and take home a piece of equipment is MANY TIMES more important than how much a dealer kowtows to them BEFORE the sale. Even more critical is when one is unfortunate enough to have a problem. Then, after-sales service and support TRULY COUNTS.

What the long winded paragraph above means is simply my way of 'advising' (if one might say that) a beginner on what to expect from one of the more specialized dealers. It may be painful but it IS common business sense that they do the things above. So if you are just browsing, or is 'still checking', please DO NOT expect complete total attention from the sales assistance. Be fair as a (potential) customer as well. Be sensitive. If there are other customers around, do expect the sales guy or owner to give them equal attention as well. If it is obvious the other guy is a regular, then you probably have to play second fiddle. Again it is common business sense. HOWEVER, do draw the line on RUDENESS. No sales assistant should ever be rude, or sarcastic to you, no matter how small your budget is.

There are lots of pitfalls in this hobby and there are multitudes of other questions and situations that is not addressed yet. But basically I feel these are the more important and typical ones.

Finally on the equipment itself. If at all possible, I would recommend buying an AV receiver with the Audyssey feature. I understand Marantz AV receivers have them. Or rather the higher end ones. The Audyssey feature is important for getting a balanced bass response from the room when a subwoofer is used. So if the purchase is potentially going to be THE purchase for the next decade for e.g. (not that uncommon a situation !), then it makes sense to go for the most flexible choice. AV especially is a never ending chain of 'new technology'. Not as bad as computers (and nowhere near the same amount of hype or misinformation) but still there is a high chance a few short months after you buy, your brand new AV receiver will be an old model already. I know this painfully well. So the only way one can counter this is to be clear what one wants and for those of us (I would say most here) on a tight-ish budget it simply means getting exactly what we want and forego those bells and whistles which we most probably won't use. This means you need to decide on issues like whether you will be adopting 3D TV in the future. And whether you intend to switch to Blu-Ray. Also what is your staple source of movies - original, 'non original', a mixture ? And if 'non-original', how high quality are they or do you buy the latest movies only which are typically dubbed from demo tapes and where their so-called 'DTS' soundtrack is electronically processed using a computer, from the normal 2-channel soundtrack.

All these things needs to be considered. For general knowledge like this, GOOGLE is probably one's best friend. It makes sense to read up on the basics first.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by beyondpain79 Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:09 am

im suggesting u mordaunt shorts carnival series and marantz av amp..carnival is cheaper and more in movies
try them first before u buy pioneer

beyondpain79

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 am

Wong:
Thanks for your sharing your experiences, i understood the business sense too as i handling admin, sales, technical, multi tasking, trained by my boss and handling manager jobs too in my service based company and learnt a lot of common sense knowledge in the process... customer service always the 1st impression of the customer as trained, customer may no return once screwed up as experienced, one of my company's old customer insisted refuse to use my company services due to previous poor service quality provided by ex-engineer which is wasn't my boss faults... hence i running online business too and i can understand how a seller's feeling if buyer FFK (especially confirmed deal)

beyondpain79:
seem no bad for mordaunt shorts carnival as i prefer smaller speaker...
but i think it cost more than RM3k for 5.1 HTS series right?

or anywhere i can get better deal for this speaker setup?

Last edited by gkl83 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:37 am

If you are using mini-hifi, you might be able to re-use the speakers that comes with the mini hifi as either front or best the rear speakers temporarily. That reduces the number of speakers you have to buy. Also, many of the larger manufacturers sells sets of center + rear or even center + rear + front speakers. I remember seeing sets from JBL (I think). They are a great way to start. If you are into surround sound movies, then you probably have no choice but to get the AV receiver first and then source around for temporary speakers to use while you save up again for proper speakers. I will freely admit this is what I did when I started in my AV system properly. In fact, I bought a set of computer speakers for less than RM200 from Low Yat Plaza for use temporarily as rear speakers while I slowly look for 'proper' rear speakers (a tactic which paid off handsomely as the Music Room then in 1-U had a closing down sale and I got a pair of brand new PSB speakers for half price). Often patience is the key. But you have to know what you want first. And be ready to use temporary replacement.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:53 am

Wong:
I would like to buy pieces by pieces too with patience which same as my neighbour pioneer LCD, purchase it when slashed down to 40-50% from original price... hence my wife understood that it will be endless if full enjoyment in this hobby in the future, and concerned on "unexpectable compatibility" issues between old & new items and keep upgrade... i know i have a nice wife, wish my wallet "nice" too... Smile

anyway, regarding service quality... i wont judge all are bad apples bcos of 1 worm in 1 apple only... Smile

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by beyondpain79 Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:17 pm

u can survey at style laser..
mordaunt shorts carnival..
floorstand rm899
bookshelf rm399
woofer rm699
centre rm399

maybe when u buy in package..the will be a discount..
i do my survey at desa lowyat..asking price for this carnival..surprisingly..the price still at 4k for complete sets.
for me, im using MS floorstand carnival and joined with my previous boston..and im satisfied with it..
in future..if u dont want this floorstnd, u still can sell it around 600-800,
MS price will drop a bit compared to pioneer which is much bigger

beyondpain79

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:43 pm

beyondpain79:
appreicate that your sharing...

silly question, is it the floorstand and bookshelf selling in pair? Razz
possible to use carnival 2 floor mount speaker act as front/main speaker?

so i may end up:
front: carnival 2 RM699
rear: carnival 1 RM399
center: carnival 5 RM399
sub: carnival 7 RM699
total:Rm2200

seem a bit of danger side and facing difficulties to pump RM1k+ for suitable amp only... perhaps do more saving with patience...

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by ERN2 Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:05 pm

WongKN wrote:If you are using mini-hifi, you might be able to re-use the speakers that comes with the mini hifi as either front or best the rear speakers temporarily. That reduces the number of speakers you have to buy. Also, many of the larger manufacturers sells sets of center + rear or even center + rear + front speakers. I remember seeing sets from JBL (I think). They are a great way to start. If you are into surround sound movies, then you probably have no choice but to get the AV receiver first and then source around for temporary speakers to use while you save up again for proper speakers. I will freely admit this is what I did when I started in my AV system properly. In fact, I bought a set of computer speakers for less than RM200 from Low Yat Plaza for use temporarily as rear speakers while I slowly look for 'proper' rear speakers (a tactic which paid off handsomely as the Music Room then in 1-U had a closing down sale and I got a pair of brand new PSB speakers for half price). Often patience is the key. But you have to know what you want first. And be ready to use temporary replacement.

support this.
All my items i bought it 2nd hand.
from AVR, speakers, projector, CDP, CRT-TV (yes I am still using CRT TV to watch Asstro), TV rack, CDP, stereo Amp.

my rear speakers is an old mini compo speaker that my neighbour throw it away and i picked it back. and i paired it with my Onkyo SR875. and i am still using that (for 2 years already). Nothing wrong with it, as long as i enjoy the movie and music. right?

What is the most importantt thing is you must welling to read through all the comment in Av/Hifi Forum rajin rajin la sikit. All forummers are my teacher, and i try to contribute whenever i can. Give and take.

I seldom ask question, as most of the questions are already in the forums.
What you need is to search, and read.

After spending 3 months times of readiing, you will know what is the reasonable price and what brand and model that suite you and you can grabe it fast.
good 2nd hand items come and go very fast, so you need to know the items well. so read more to gain the knowledge.

This what i have gone through. (edited)

(edited to rectify some error)

Last edited by ERN2 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

ERN2

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by beyondpain79 Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:46 pm

of coz they are selling in pair..
u can use carnival 2 floor mount speaker act as front/main speaker..
but for me..no umphh laa..no bass..coz im basshead..anyway, audition 1st then u'll know..
im understand u dont have enough budget..thts y im suggesting u to buy a good speaker and get 2nd av amp..saw last time somebody sell yamaha avr 663 which have hdmi feature about 900 only..if i dont have avr, definitely i'll grab it

beyondpain79

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:09 pm

ERN2:
sorry for much questions as i no experienced in AV before and act as new born baby, this is my first setup and trying minimize "errors", most of shops closed during CNY period and no able for audition... so i did research, reading, inquiry & compare around regarding AV during CNY for 2-3days non-stop and read thru different forums, youtube, catalog, website to fasten the AV basic knowledge... otherwise i wont able to finalized up to 5 different new & used AV setup @ post#1 if i don't understand my needs...

hence most of forumers discussing mid-high end setup and recommended pioneer 920 or denon 1911 or onkyo 608 as new entry level... so a bit struggling to keep up... Neutral

beyondpain79:
so seem of lesser number of driver cause lesser bass?

perhaps i can look for discontinued amp model? as i no planned for 3D (personally feel 3D no mature yet after judge from green hornet 3D)

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by beyondpain79 Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:47 pm

not really bro..ive audition mission floorstand speaker which have 2 driver only..it have much bass compare to mordaunt short, but the price is about 1.8k for speaker itself..
for me, if u really want to follow the technology, u must have very deep pocket..
just surf for previous model which about 1 or 2 years back..some of the model already have hdmi feature..if u have 2.8k only, no way u can get updated model completed with speakers unless it is HTiB which for me..no ummpphh

beyondpain79

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:04 pm

beyondpain79:
hm... struggling and dilemma again after read comments & research... really a endless poison... Twisted Evil perhaps i will request for audition at style laser and desa HT kepong to search for my "taste" before any decision made... thanks for advise...

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:36 pm

gkl83 wrote:beyondpain79:
hm... struggling and dilemma again after read comments & research... really a endless poison... Twisted Evil perhaps i will request for audition at style laser and desa HT kepong to search for my "taste" before any decision made... thanks for advise...

Young man, (imagine like shifu in Kung Fu Panda larr),
Don't despair... no pain no gain Very Happy poison to some may be honey to u. I believe that you should prioritize and consider your need and taste first.

Consider this; I just had lunch this afternoon with another kaki together with a fellow moderator here and have been advised that the RM3K++ speaker cable I just bought online and gleefully unwrapped and install just before CNY may not suit the speakers I'm driving (try hearing that and swallowing sushi at the same time)Embarassed Embarassed.

I believe that they are right and honest about it and not criticizing for criticizing sake and I respect and value their opinions (except for the big hole in the pocket and the sudden loss of appetite at the buffet lunch Very Happy Very Happy).

Consider another scenario; about 2 months ago, after listening to a fantastic pair of speakers driven by an excellent pre amp (excellent local product) and power amp (thank u to the Northern Brethrens), this veteran hi-fi kaki who joined us asked for the price of the set up and then promptly declared 'if the set up is less than RM500K, then it's not hi-fi'. There we were mouth slightly agape and looking at each wondering 'WTF' (my thoughts anyway) but then again, this is the life in hifi lane.. for what's its worth he may likely be right Very Happy Very Happy

But please consider this: I believe all these comments and opinions are well meant in the hope that you will enjoy this hobby.. it's not a perfect world, pitfall and caverns will always be where you step but do listen through your own ears and heart... go forth, watch & listen ... Very Happy and enjoy the movies and music cheers

My two sens + soon-to-be-introduced-but-politically incorrect VAT.

Cheers,

zb
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by JSoo1 Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:50 pm

I would suggest that you do not jump directly and purchase a complete set. Do re-consider your circumstances and with what you have, maybe you should start by seeing what can be added on...
You presently have something aka minihifi. I would suggest that you pace your purchase, item by item and as when budget permits.
Do get a decent AVR first, that will support your upgrade. Use it first with your minihifi speakers if possible. Then slowly add on, firstly front speaker and moving the minihifi speaker to surround duty. Then add on a center and subwoofer. As you are pacing your purchase, you would have time to audition each item as you go along. Do not do it all at once as this will easily be confusing.
If you prefer to do it all at once, I would suggest get a decent HTIB or Soundbar where the mix/match are done by the manufacturer. If you want to mix/match by audition, do take it one step at a time.
Last advise, or save up to a dream amount and buy your dream set-up. But not sure how long this will take as dream set-up take dream ages to save up.....
JSoo1
JSoo1
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Character sheet
Source(s): Flatbox with LaserHead (inside)
Amplification: Heavy Blackbox with knobs (outside)
Speakers: Brownbox with hole (front)

Back to top Go down

Post by ERN2 Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:04 pm

gkl83 wrote:ERN2:
sorry for much questions as i no experienced in AV before and act as new born baby,

Dear gkl83
dont say that.
I am still learning also.
I am just try to highlight to you that, you can get higher end model with lesser cost, the 2nd hand items will cost much lower than the new one.
Most of my gear i got are quite new, some even weeks old only.

what you need is patient. everyday look at the hifi4sale. the more frequebt you do it, the higher chance you get the model you want. just you need to act fast.

so aim higher, try get pre-owned.

Having to say that however, it all go down to your requirements and how serius you are in this hobby. Will you ichi toi change to higher end model after a while or you will stick to it until it cannot be used anymore. that make a different.

ERN2

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Setup Suggestion for New Entry Empty Setup Suggestion for New Entry

Post by matlap Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi gkl83,
A long long time ago ,in a galaxy far far away[star wars], i got the same situation as yours,[almost la] got bout rm1.5k to spend for the complete av set. New baby coming,dont want to spend more for DTS set [that time DTS are new], budget constrain ,also got a lot of advice from friends. Finally after 6 month Sleep i bought a used robust Marantz 5.1 dts av amp + a medium size yamaha active sub woofer. I spent about rm1k for both item which i think this both item are the most important for av set.Then i spent another rm200+ for a good dvd player.
Spent another m50 for used denon center speaker and using my previous compo speakers for front n surrounds job. Got a bunch of normal cables to use for the set up.Surprisingly lot of my friends who using HiTB impressed with the sound my set,even my philips crt color changed when the boom sound came from the sub Laughing .It take me another 3 month to buy a pair of front and rear speaker because beside than the budget factor,im quite happy with the compo speakers.
My humble advice - spend more on the main source -a decent 7.1 hdmi av amp,a robust medium size subwoofer [babyproof],or u can choose mega size sub if ur house bigger than my low cost flat house and dont forget DVD or Blue ray player-now u can get it cheap at carrefour.
Gradually upgrade your system,dont spent too much on the front and rear ,no need extra bass on the front speaker,leave it to the subwoofer to do the job.Try to find a good used item because u will not loose much when u want to sell it.After u gained knowledge how to set up a good av system then u can spend more on the new item.This is just from my tiny experience,forgive me if my spelling or grammer are wrong. Embarassed
matlap
matlap
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2009-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:06 am

zeebee:
sharing can be positive or negative... i also know nothing is prefect in this world... the most what i can do is use the available budget and search for best setup as possible with my own efforts... Smile

JSoo1:
i planned and like to upgrade pieces by pieces... but my wife know that i will spend use the future money for upgrade and she trying to prevent to do so as she prefer me to treat my own family as priority 1st rather than my own hobby... so she prefer me to get the paired amp & speaker by manufacturers like pioneer's packages...

ERN2:
i can't forecast how long i can retain this hobby as we cant predict the future due to unexpected matters... hence i admit that i spend my own money easily bcos of my own desirability without think twice & triple on my current commitment, this behaviour not good for my future and i'm controlling myself away from non-stop upgrade... but still my wife as my top priority in my life, i will dream to hug a AV system every night if she no allowed to own it... lol... but at least my wallet still thick enough and save more for the future setup... Razz

matlap:
is ok for poor engrish, me no good either... Embarassed

anyway, i managed to source a 7.1 amp Sony STR-DH710 @ RM1100 and should able to pair with mordaunt shorts carnival series and still within my budget... believe most of AV shop no carrying Sony AV receiver and no able to carry out for simple audition to experience the Sony amp... Crying or Very sad anyone can share your experience about it? wondering why most of the shops (included harvey norman)no selling it... but still i will look around too for audition if possible...

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 am

I can understand the thoughts that must be going thru your mind now. It is the same problem we face when we renovate our house for e.g. as the contractor will always suggest new things and then say "best do everything in one go or else if you hack again later, lot of dust and very dirty". How far can our pocket stretch ? How much do we want to compromise ? That is the key question.

For myself personally, if I have promised on a budget cap (in this case, what I am reading is RM2.8k), I always try my best to stick to it. Trust is something we must earn. It is very hard to earn but very easy to lose. You have agreed with your wife that you spend up to RM2.8k on the AV system. For me personally, I would stick to it.

It makes much sense to try to ensure as future proof as possible, your purchase. But even up to this point, I still have not seen a confirmation on what your intentions and focus are for the source. By that I mean what have you decided to use, DVD, Blu-Ray, movies on harddisk, etc ? What grade will you be spending on (it is a legitimate question and you must not be embarassed to admit constraint here). I.e. are you the type who wants to support original at all cost. Or you buy only non originals. Or a mixture of both. Do you keep good copies of those movies you like ? Are you a movie fanatic and must see the latest blockbuster asap. Which means movies shot using HD video recorders in the cinema with cinema sound (literally !) or dubbed from promo discs. Or you are willing to wait for the proper DVD or Blu-Ray to come out and then get the original or the non-original (copies). All these you must consider.

Then also what is your final display ? You said you are currently using CRT. This implies at most you need is component video connectivity. But surely you want an LCD or LED or plasma in the future ? That means you will want HDMI. Luckily almost all AV receivers nowadays have HDMI. If you rely on DVD, then plan DTS is enough. If you are a quality freak and intends to go Blue-Ray, you need DTS HD /MA or TrueHD capability. Your BR player will also need that capability as well. If you intend to stick to DVD only, then if you plan to go for LCD/LED/Plasma, then will you be getting HD-Ready or full-HD ? You should also be getting a DVD player with upsampling capability and they are usually more expensive.

There are simply too many options to discuss properly if we do not set the parameters upfront. For that you need to make a decision. I suggest you do that first - lay out the parameters of you requirement before you continue discussing further because if you don't I am sure you will just get more and more confused.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:38 am

I briefly skimmed through the responses here. Not too sure if you are getting an AV receiver only or the receiver, display panel(projector/plasma/LCD/LED) and speakers. With a RM2.8k budget i presume it's just the receiver and speakers.

For HT, my opinion is it's not worth spending too much money unless one has deep pockets for a high-end setup. A cheap but modest AV amp and decent speakers will do. More money on the fronts and skimp on the rears. Squeeze in a subwoofer is possible. Again WongKN brought up a good point. Are you going to play DVDs or blu-ray. Personally I don't know how many folks here are buying original blu-rays. Even pirated blu-rays are still costly. Most receivers have DTS as a minimum, and this is good enough for most material unless you are into blu-ray.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:13 am

Wong:
sorry for misunderstand as i stepped forward... bcos usually dislike the LYN newbie forumer "Recommend me RM3000 best gaming rig" without whether included information such as LCD, keyboard, mouse, HDD, casing, etc, newbie no done the homework and no trying to build their own setup baesd on their needs and some of LYN forumer "spoon-feeding" them =S so i did the study and list down the my potential setup as post #1...

Here my current setup:
32" LCD HD ready, media player, mini HIFI
Usage: First, watch HD movie via media player and video signal deliver via components to LCD and audio signal deliver via RCA. Second, enjoy mp3 music via mini HIFI by pendrive.

My expected setup (based on priority with 2 years+)
1. AV receiver (current plan, replace mini HIFI)
2. new media player (current plan, replace old media player and supported for Dolby, true HD, DTS-HD MA with LDR)
2. Astro decoder (1 year, mainly education purpose for my baby)
3. 40" & above LED IPS full HD (2 years, if financial allowed)
4. BlueRay (non-3D) (may purchase along with LED, but low probability as i prefer Disc-less, and lesser equipments hooked up)

No going for 3D blueray within 5 years plan as no comfortable with 3D visual by 3D glass and still doesnt feel "Wahhh..." after watch the green hornet 3D... hence no plan for HTPC as need more efforts to source for compacted PC casing and hardware to place it in cabinet...

about the movie sources, most probably i will download HD contents from torrent which up to 8-12GB per movie, original DVD / blueray may planned to buy some for collection purpose (example: Matrix 1-3, back to the future 1-3, home alone 1-3 DVD, etc in my TV cabinet) Razz i'm no that kind of movie freaks that must view when new&fresh, i can wait for the HD contents available for torrent or original DVD/blueray disc... hence, i refuse "jack sparrow" version of high quality movie, i dont mind for "jack sparrow" for HK/TW/MY drama/movie... Smile

due to some limitaion for current setup, cant support for HDMI connection (need higher quality compare with components), no able to enjoy DTS via my current media player, current HiFi sound quality cant meet my needs (supported stereo only, cant heard vocal clearly and bass volume too high when in action) and forced to hold remote control to adjust the volume occasionally when watching movie... :S

hence planned for AV receiver which can support USB pendrive for mp3 purpose as my current Hifi with the features... i no prefer to lead a feeling to my wife that "the AV setup only for my own purpose and my HD movie only"... bcos once a while she will heard mp3 when she doing housekeeping and cooking... so i should fair with her too... no planned for iphone or ipod either, so the additional dock no required for AV receiver... so end up i think pioneer 820 is the only choices... hm... but if hook up the mp3 via DVD/blueray player and transmit the audio signal to AV receiver, i worry the "degrade" of music quality as the mp3 compressed file not read by AV receiver and no able to do "adjustment" via pioneer's "Sound Retriever"... same as onkyo have "music optimizer" feature for compressed music, but HT3300 with passive subwoofer, sad to heard that... but still if any player can play mp3 flawless for me and pair with receiver which without USB port should be fine, but hassle to switch 2 equipments to enjoy mp3, i know some ppl may flame me "dont be lazy to press a button"... Razz

hm... i think nothing more... hope my info here sufficient...

ryder:
i getting receiver + 5.1 speaker for RM2800 Smile

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:37 am

Receiver + 5.1 speaker package is quite common and can be achievable with RM2.8k budget or less.

The more important question is whether you would be using it solely for HT or you are going to do some 2-channel listening with it. It appears that you may want to play MP3 on the system. Although the quality of MP3 is inferior, the format can still sound pretty good and presentable on a good system. If going this route, don't get the 5.1 speaker package as most often all the cheap satellite speakers that come in a box together with a sub bundled in are not too good in 2-channel. Allocate more funds on a good pair of fronts. If your system is in a small room you can also consider scrapping the centre speaker and get a cheap pair of surrounds.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:53 am

ryder:
i did the survey, as low-end AV setup can get easily from RM2k and above like onkyo HT-S3300... but it's spec no my cup...

i will 50% on HT and 50% of music and going to locate it at living room... no much time to enjoy HT when weekdays after exhausted from work and shame if distrubed my neighbour when i blasting speakers when weekdays... Embarassed

assumed i insist for pioneers 820 but pair with mordaunt shorts carnival, will the sound have differences compare with complete setup HTP-820SW? at least no need to worry for "compability" or "bottleneck" issues and keep upgrade pieces by pieces later (that my wife worrying of)... Razz

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:00 am

Gkl83,
Sorry, I just reread your first post and your requirement on MCACC, OSD & USB for a receiver. If that's the case a huge chunk of money has gone to the receiver, leaving you little left for some decent speakers. Initially I thought a used Denon 3801 or something similar for about RM1k would do.

No idea how the MS Carnivals will compare with the Pioneer HTP-820SW speaker package. Others can probably comment.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:54 pm

just got my AV setup from Hi Way Laser... no doubt on their customer service, served by Ah Chuen and satisfy his PR skill, speedy delivery too... but spent another trip to their shop for payment as worry Ah Chuen made mistake on installment procedures yesterday... sigh...

anyway, met and talked Kenny too,i can understand why he no prefer for online reply based on my judgement of his appearance just now... tongue

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by beyondpain79 Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:37 pm

so finally, what u decide to buy?

beyondpain79

Back to top Go down

Post by gkl83 Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:30 pm

beyondpain79 wrote:so finally, what u decide to buy?
just basic entry level HTP-820SW... Smile

gkl83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down