Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

How to setup a proper DTS 5.1 system

3 posters

Go down

How to setup a proper DTS 5.1 system Empty How to setup a proper DTS 5.1 system

Post by CN Yee Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:59 pm

I am wondering how you guys setup for DTS

I am not very interested in watching movies - but I have a growing number DVD's of classical music. The DVD usually comes with two or three sound tracks - CPM (stereo), Dolby (5.1) and DTS (5.1). The DTS sound is vastly superior because of the higher bit rates. The dynamic range is higher, and the sound is clearer, simply more enjoyable

My current setup is a Denon 1909 receiver - decoder, preamp, power amp all in one. So what are the possible upgrade paths for me?

I have seen 6 channels power amp - is there a decoder/preamp that accepts HDMI inputs?

Thanks for sharing
Yee

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

How to setup a proper DTS 5.1 system Empty Re: How to setup a proper DTS 5.1 system

Post by azri Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:11 pm

not all dvds has DTS mode, mostly dont & yes it sounds better
if ur denon have pre outs for each channel than u go for separates power amps for better performance

most of today receivers includes numerous hdmi inputs
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

How to setup a proper DTS 5.1 system Empty Re: How to setup a proper DTS 5.1 system

Post by CN Yee Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:00 am

Sorry for repeating. I found a wealth of information under the thread of duscussions:

Home Theater set up... Processor & Multichannel power Amp or AV Amp ?

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by klboy Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:32 am

i have a pair of old Mission floorstander, and now thinking to upgrade to surround speaker system. need some advice from members - is it necessary to buy the same brand centre speaker and rear speakers as well? will it make a lot of difference to have all speakers the same brand when my Denon (just purchased recently) av processor can adjust the sound frequency EQ of other 5.1 speakers to match my front Mission floorstander pair? appreciate the input.

klboy

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by CN Yee Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:59 pm

What I found out so far:

Movie watching and music listening are two very distinct activities. Hardly any movies you would want to want more than once, but music you would listen to again and again. Because of that for movie watching almost anything that makes sound would do. Sound effects in movies really do not call for hi-fidelity. But music listening is much more demanding.

Music listening is primarily stereo. I have not come across any 5.1 music recordings that makes sensible use of the surround speakers. After all with the performers at the front there is really nothing happening at the back except for the audiences. Between 5.1 sound track and the stereo sound track - you better off listen in stereo - because the two front speakers will invariably be better than the rest, so you don't want to corrupt the sound scape with the cheaper surround speakers.

My recommendation is to concentrate your resources on the two front speakers. Your existing speakers can be used as the surround (if space allows for it - else sell it off and get any pair of cheap bookshelf speakers). The center speaker should match the sound profile of the front speakers. It carries most of the conversations in movies, but don't be too fussy about it.

I am using a Denon AVR as well. I upgraded my 12 weeks old speakers with a pair of Harbeth C7ES3. I have thought of getting a separate amplifier for music listening. But since the speakers upgrade I have decided that the Denon unit is competent enough. If I were to spend money again room acoustics would be a much higher priority.

Another thing - DTS is not better than Doubly Digital, at least not for layman on budget systems. There is a discussion in the Harbeth forum about it.

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by CN Yee Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Another advantage with staying with Denon AVR is that you don't need an expensive CD/DVD player. A RM 280 unit with HDMI output will play beautifully.

My current thought is that a reasonable AVR with a pair of good front speakers would be my recommendation for someone who wants to setup a very reasonable 5.1 systems for movie and music listening.

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down