Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

How do you evaluate a set up for sound quality????

+4
swing123
carz
CT-Boy
kp93300
8 posters

Go down

How do you evaluate a set up for sound quality???? Empty How do you evaluate a set up for sound quality????

Post by kp93300 Wed May 05, 2010 10:37 am

I would like to start a thread to hear how other hi fi enthusiast evaluate SQ.

I start off the evaluation with a piano piece. A piano is a percussion instrument and each note should be distinct and separate from the following note. I should hear the hammer hitting inside the piano.I try to compare with the piano in my house and decide how close it is to the original.

Next , I listen to vocal and make sure that the voice carries the power of the diaphragm and the force of air should be apreciated.

The most difficult aspect to get is the layering of the sound stage. Vocal in front, violin 2nd row, paino then the backing muscician behind. One must be able to hear what the drummers are doing --which drum is being hit and with what force.
If I can discern the number of back up singers , this is a great bonus.

cheers

Hope other will contribute.

kp93300

kp93300
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-07-20

Back to top Go down

How do you evaluate a set up for sound quality???? Empty Re: How do you evaluate a set up for sound quality????

Post by CT-Boy Wed May 05, 2010 10:57 am

With that in mind, I wonder what kind of setup you have right now?
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

How do you evaluate a set up for sound quality???? Empty Re: How do you evaluate a set up for sound quality????

Post by carz Wed May 05, 2010 11:55 am

For that, you have to use a very very good recording. What cd album do you use and which sound tracks ?

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by swing123 Wed May 05, 2010 2:07 pm

kp93300 wrote:I start off the evaluation with a piano piece. A piano is a percussion instrument and each note should be distinct and separate from the following note. I should hear the hammer hitting inside the piano.I try to compare with the piano in my house and decide how close it is to the original.

Hi,

Just want to ask how do you do that - I mean, to decide how close it is to the original piano's note? I was told that different brand of piano sounds, different? I dunno as I don't play any music instrument.

Care to enlighten?

swing123
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kp93300 Wed May 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi
i have a simple diy set up . Monica 2 with mod, F5 from Mr Pass and OB 5 from GR research, Lightspeed clone and another preamp copied from diyaudio.

I am hoping to learn from forum members here so that the numerous mods I am doing is in the right direction! I believe listening is a skill worth learning to enjoy better sound.

i try to listen to my children play piano and then compared to my own set up. I am not so good as to able to discern between the different brands of piano. . I lift up the top cover of the yamaha piano and listen .

cheers

kp93300

kp93300
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by f8. Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 pm

I can imagine how marvelous your system must sound kp93300.

For me, I put on a CD I like, which depending on mood, could be something like Dire Straits debut self titled album. I'll put up the volume to about 80-85dB and play Track 4(6 Blade Knife) followed by Track 2(Water of Love).

Along the way its nice to hear the tiny details and weird noise Mark Knopfler makes with his voice and guitar. And I like to feel that tightness that the band is playing together.

If I feel emotionally satisfied and happy, then that's all I ask for from the hifi. Sorry I don't quite know how to describe it exactly. Its just a general sensation of satisfaction and joy.

f8.
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Wed May 05, 2010 4:11 pm

kp93300 wrote:Hi
i have a simple diy set up . Monica 2 with mod, F5 from Mr Pass and OB 5 from GR research, Lightspeed clone and another preamp copied from diyaudio.

I am hoping to learn from forum members here so that the numerous mods I am doing is in the right direction! I believe listening is a skill worth learning to enjoy better sound.

i try to listen to my children play piano and then compared to my own set up. I am not so good as to able to discern between the different brands of piano. . I lift up the top cover of the yamaha piano and listen .

cheers

kp93300

Is it a Yamaha Grand?
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by kp93300 Wed May 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Along the way its nice to hear the tiny details and weird noise Mark Knopfler makes with his voice and guitar. And I like to feel that tightness that the band is playing together.

If I feel emotionally satisfied and happy, then that's all I ask for from the hifi. Sorry I don't quite know how to describe it exactly. Its just a general sensation of satisfaction and joy.[/quote]

Hi F8,
I like your approach as hi fi has to satisfy an emotional need.
I consider hi fi and diy are means for me to escape from the stress of work !
With a set up that i like, I notice that i enjoy more of my CD collection ! Some of the disc that i thought was very bad suddenly take on a new meaning !
Cheers and happy listening.

kp93300

kp93300
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed May 05, 2010 4:21 pm

kp93300 wrote:Hi

cheers

kp93300

yes this is a good reference to start with.

But do bear in mind that the Piano as played in Carnegie Hall or the Royal Albert Hall ... would have different acoustics as compared to your home piano.

Hence, most Piano concert recordings for example, would also capture such "sonic signatures". One cannot say that a Piano or violin sound like this or like that (on its own) ... U also got to consider the ENVIRONMENT in which the piano or violin was played.

Hence the BEST Reference that anyone can use to "judge" how good a hi-fi system sounds, is to have numerous experience of real-life concerts , performances, etc etc etc. There is simply no substitute for this for a true "sound reference". But this being said, also knowing the sound of a truly well set up high-end (not necessarily high priced) system would also be a good experience. That's why, its always good to go and hear other people's high-end setups whenever possible. Otherwise, we can easily drift astray or be "complacent" into determining what is really good sound or crappy sound.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by kp93300 Wed May 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi Tycham,
This is not a grand piano.
I think it is difficult for my simple set up to distinguish between the different types of piano, violin etc .
I need more training for my ear and perhaps more diy skills , time and money !
In deed the resonance from a grand piano and the gentle decay of each note is very intoxicating.

kp93300

kp93300
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by kp93300 Wed May 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi mugenfoo,
I agreed with you 100%. unfortunately, not much chance to listen large orchestra in my home town. Have been to petronas concert hall and very impressed.
I listen to the church band and noted that the drummer is a very important person of the band as he determines the pace , rhythm and beat of a song.
i have been trying hard to get my low frequency right for the past year and still trying !
cheers

kp93300

kp93300
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA4 Wed May 05, 2010 6:32 pm

I always go for that PRAT thingy.

So if the sales assistant taps his feet in time with the music, it's a buy!!!

RobA4
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by kp93300 Thu May 06, 2010 12:05 am

The music of David Forster and friends is a good CD to enjoy and evaluate a system. Track 3 by Charice -( -I have nothing/ i will always love you ) is a good test for vocals.
The bass lines are pretty strong in the album.
I like to listen for clarity of the clapping of the audience in the live recording .
A cough here and there with live recording will enhance the experience and creates the illusion of being there with the audience !

Any recommendations of CD from other members here??

kp93300

kp93300
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA4 Thu May 06, 2010 12:04 pm

I always evaluate with a CD or LP which is well recorded that I am very familiar with.

Steely Dan - Gaucho
Weavers - Carnegie hall
CCR - Cosmo's Factory
Beatles - Sgt Pepper's

RobA4
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

How do you evaluate a set up for sound quality???? Empty Dynamic range

Post by kp93300 Thu May 06, 2010 8:26 pm

I read the following post in GR research forum of Audiocircle.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=nbingpun9t7cfl5ovie3q2im13p5bima&topic=75402.180

I quote

I judge dynamics by two criteria: Ability to startle (with large
transients) and how deep I can hear into the recording (small, low
level transients)

Couple of pieces of music come to mind that I use as a reference to judge this....

Having become familiar with the music and even though I know it's coming, it still startles or surprises me:

Gregorio
Paniagua's "La Folia" on the Harmonia Mundi label, track 7 "Nordica et
desolata / Aurea mediocritas" @ 3:59. The slap here should absolutely
POP! It's subtle but there should be plenty of low end content here too.

"Further
Attempts" on the MA Recordings label, track 4 "Before... After". The
whole song. This is an acoustic recording and there's things happening
between the musicians that are way down in the mix. Some of these
things are so subtle that they almost seem like a "suggestion" while
other parts of the song set up a sense of anticipation. This is a great
example of low level dynamics. Lesser front ends simply miss the
nuances that happen here.

Dom Um Romao's "Saudades" on the Water
Lilly Acoustics label, track 4 "Lynces B". The whole song. Another
acoustic recording with lots of ear candy. Dynamics play a big part in
portraying the acoustic venue and the perspective of how everything
relates properly. Hard to get right - the Tranquility is exceptional
here.

Cheers!
Robert
RSAD

« Last Edit: 4 May 2010, 10:35 PM by Ridge Street Audio »

How do you evaluate a set up for sound quality???? Ip
Unquote

I thought he described the subject very well.

kp93300

kp93300
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by kp93300 Thu May 06, 2010 8:29 pm

My friend come the other night and introduce me to Susan Boyle CD--I dreamed a Dream.
I enjoy the entire album--great vocalist and full of microdynamic contrast in the singing.
kp93300

kp93300
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down