Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing

+3
fizi
ryder
dennis611
7 posters

Go down

B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Empty B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing

Post by dennis611 Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi guys

What amp would be good to pair with the CDM1SE. I listen to mainly jazz music and some chinese hi fi cds.
My budget is around RM1k for a 2nd hand unit amp.

Would appreciate views from all the taikors here B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_biggrin

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Empty Re: B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing

Post by ryder Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:46 pm

Stretch your budget a bit and go for a brand new Rega Brio3. The price doesn't differ much compared to most cheap low-end 2nd hand integrateds listed here in the ads. For integrateds, I have had Classe CAP-100, Krell KAV-300i and YBA Integre DT with the CDM 1SE. For separates I have tried Sonic Frontiers Line 1/ARC D130 and ARC LS16/Plinius SA-100mk3 with the speakers. I liked the YBA and ARC/Plinius best with the B&Ws. I have owned the CDM 1SE for 12 years since 1997 before I sold off them off earlier this year. Great speakers for the money.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:28 am

agree with ryder...if posible try to allocate more budget for the amp..dont so rush,,try to safe some money to get a good amplifier...no point to buy cheap integrated for the good speaker...after a few time u needs to upgrade amplifier again due to sound quality..

i use cdm1 before with marantz combo cd player+integrated before model PM17+CD17...good matching

good luck..
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1295
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by dennis611 Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:19 am

Hi all

Need some advise frm all sifus here. So far I have auditioned the Musical Fidelity A100 and Arcam Alpha 6x. Since I listen to more jazz music (Fourplay type of music) than vocals, I find that the Arcam is more to my preference being more of a all rounder.

What about the Cyrus 3/3i. is it very different than the Arcam and will it suit my type of music, not to mention my speakers.

Appreciate your feedbacks. Thanx

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:41 am

The Arcam Alpha 10 was my first integrated amp I got together with the CDM1SE back in 1999. The year stated in my earlier message above was a typo. Since that was my first "high-end" system at the time, just like you I was very pleased with the matching. As times goes by I tried several amps on the CDM1SE and found the Arcam Alpha 10 to be something like a cold fish, cold, flat-sounding and lacking in dynamics. If you like jazz music(I am a Fourplay fan too), good amps that match well with the 1SE are the YBA Integre DT and Classe CAP-100. The YBA is a very musical amp while the Classe a touch warm and liquid. Both will be more involving compared to the flat-sounding Arcam. I have even tried better pre/power combinations on the CDM1SE like the Audio Research D130 and Plinius SA-100Mk3 and surprisingly this entry-level speaker from B&W sounds quite remarkable given its price range. Unfortunately both integrateds(YBA and Classe) may be a bit higher than your budget even bought used. However if you like what you hear with the Alpha 6x then just get it if the price is right. Just bear in mind there is much room for improvement with better amps. I would not expect the price of the unit to be more than RM1k though.

I am not familiar with Cyrus but a friend who owns the Cyrus was complaining about the lack of dynamics and is now considering something else.

Hope that helps.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:14 am

On a side note, I have A/B'd the Yamaha DSP-A990 amp with the Arcam Alpha 10 side by side and found negligible sonic differences between the two. Many people look down on AV amps in 2-channel but you can be amazed at what some can do. If you can find one it may be worth considering. I sold the Yamaha to a Malay guy several years ago at RM200. (Retail RM2k+)

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dennis611 Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:17 pm

Thank you ryder for the comments. You were right about the amps you recommended being over my budget. Think its not easy to find a preowned unit also.

Any inputs from other sifus here about Cyrus 111/111i. Highly appreciated by a rookie here B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_biggrin

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by shaiful Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi dennis611,

First of all i'm not a hifi sifu but i just like to share my experience with Cyrus III integrated amp.

My first integrated amp was Marantz PM7200 + Marantz CD7300 player pairing with Quad 11L speaker. I just love the sweet sounding from Marantz until i hear the Cyrus III from hifi shop at Jalan Perak in Penang. I brought my hifi gear along and auditioned with the Cyrus III... the moment i listen to the Cyrus then only i realized my Marantz was sounding flat and lacked in dynamics. The very same day I traded in my Marantz for the Cyrus..hehe.

After 4 or 5 years with the Cyrus III i have upgraded to Cyrus 8vs2 + Cyrus CD8x + PSX-R pairing with Dali Ikon 5 speaker. B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_biggrin

shaiful
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by kancan Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:15 pm

Try Rotel with pre and power, easy to drive with most speakers, you
will no regret, if your budget around that...So many amp i been using,
Arcam, Cambridge, Denon, Technics, Cary Audio, and many other
good amp last 5 year , but rotel is still my last journey budget amps,
hope so B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_biggrin ..Im fan of rotel..using 120 watts..and the sound was optimum.
kancan
kancan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dennis611 Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks for the inputs shaiful & kancan.
Really tabik bro kancan for changing so many amps last 5 years. What model of Rotel do u recommend for my budget?
Honestly have never bothered to c this brand even when I sourcing for one when I studied in UK 15 years back. Guess I dun like the name ROTEL..Sounds like HOTEL ha ha B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_biggrin
Hopefully the sound will change my perception.

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kancan Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:26 am

Pre RC980BX and power RB980BX, 120watt, its budget system..1.5k you will get proper setup, just upgrade cables, interconnect cd player and speakers.. maybe you can beat 10K setup, just my 10 cent experience.. B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_biggrin
kancan
kancan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:44 am

I have read about great synergy between Rotel and B&W as well so kancan's recommendation is certainly well worth to investigate.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dennis611 Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi Guys

Went over to Amcorp last few days. Can't remember the shop's name, told him of my requirement and did not ask much and straight away introduced the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A. Listened to it, felt like to much power. Did not like it. Asked for any used unit, think he not keen to sell.
Yesterday went to CMY Sunway Pyramid tot just want to have a look. The sales guy was friendly and chatty (Richard). Introduced the CA Azur 340A , tot why not just audition it. My my quite taken aback by it and fell in love. The spk according to him was harder to push than mine.
So here is owner of a new CA Azur 340A. Bought for RM1300. Just biwired using the speaker B terminals. So far happy with the amp. Warm and relax sound. The remote control deserve a mention...very classy look and feel and not the cheapo type. Well with my limited budget, can't complain much B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_biggrin
Thanks again for all the inputs.

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by shaiful Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi dennis611,

So glad to hear you've finally found your amp, enjoy your music bro!

shaiful
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:36 pm

dennis611 wrote:Hi Guys

Went over to Amcorp last few days. Can't remember the shop's name, told him of my requirement and did not ask much and straight away introduced the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A. Listened to it, felt like to much power. Did not like it. Asked for any used unit, think he not keen to sell.
Yesterday went to CMY Sunway Pyramid tot just want to have a look. The sales guy was friendly and chatty (Richard). Introduced the CA Azur 340A , tot why not just audition it. My my quite taken aback by it and fell in love. The spk according to him was harder to push than mine.
So here is owner of a new CA Azur 340A. Bought for RM1300. Just biwired using the speaker B terminals. So far happy with the amp. Warm and relax sound. The remote control deserve a mention...very classy look and feel and not the cheapo type. Well with my limited budget, can't complain much B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_biggrin
Thanks again for all the inputs.

if u like dealing with CMY ... you should pop over to their branch at Damansara Utama (D'sara Uptown) sometime. They got a much larger showroom where u can really "cuci cuci mata & telinga" nicely. Warning: Can easily Kena poison more there also.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi Dennis,

The cambridge amps has gone thru many metamorphosis already.....
i could only remember whenever a new series come out there will be different colour to the amp plate. I own a black colour series, and it's pretty awesome.......it's more than 20 years old oledi!!! B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_lol Still usng it since day 1 and planned to use it for many years to come. B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_razz

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by dennis611 Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks for all the feedbacks and encouragements.
Nothing wrong with cuci mata and telinga, scared kena racun, then "chia lat" and "kong kha khiau".
Wah uncle_vic, your CA > than 20 years oredi. The other day just joking with my son, my amp may b pass down to him next time...if its still working B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_biggrin . By then hopefully still AC azur and not "CA adui"
Now waiting for my speaker stand. Had one previously but passed it to my bro in law. Now must take back since its in his storeroom.
My speakers now sitting on 2 plastic tools B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_tongue.

dennis611
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:14 am

Hi Dennis, but must refurbish the power supply capacitors and change some aging parts like resistors, transistors if necessary & provided the main transformer is still in tip top conditions. Other than that, if the cost of refurbishments is too costly then(20 years from now), then u may want to decide to junk your CA azur!!! B&W CDM1SE speaker-amp pairing Icon_lol

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down