Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

+44
sss333
arremie
Shamjohor
public holiday
hasnul
kenny81
ST-50
gloraglory
timotiusw
thegoodarcher
peijie
fizi
Rijang
drife
Tachikoma
edddddy21
ecoli123
arabungkus
CKHOO
ngheong
carz
jazzfunksoulmusic
Keith
skooi3
seanlee731107
kamen555
Cooltube
jazzy939
wingman
sonyman1
ryder
Bite
jcwlow
wabun
sanguine
lim
antaklugom
mugenfoo
hoyhoysum
cmboy
azri
uncle_vic
alex_kff
48 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Empty Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

Post by alex_kff Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:06 am

There're not many people want to talk about Sansui simply because it
doesn't have much commercial value nowadays. If you're going to the
western/japanese site, you should find that there're many peoples out
there enjoying those great Sansui's product.

All I know is that
those great Sansui's amplifiers were designed by a group of audiophile
electronic engineers. The "tested" their products not just only by
instruments, they tested those amp by their "ears".........

The
AU-9500 age started the Sansui's tradition and the AU-607/707 initiate
this spirit to general public consumer. The 07 series amplifiers marked
the uncompromised philosophy of Sansui's towards definition of
Hi-Fidelity.

I remember when I was 13-14 years old, I already
knew owning a Sansui amplifier is a luxury hobby (they were expensive
at that time).

***** Congratulate to those who enjoying music from Sansui *****

alex_kff
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Empty Re: Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

Post by uncle_vic Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:02 am

I know unker chew here runs a couple of sansui amps. I listened to his setup only this monday. You could ask him. If u are in the PJ area u could fix up a date with him to get some euphoria!

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Empty Re: Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

Post by azri Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:54 pm

beginners can start with au-101 solid state Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_wink
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 pm

My only experience some many years ago and playing with one was when repairing a spoiled AU-555a. It was good, decent 25 watter and that was it, nothing to shout about. I had to get the replacement output transistors from Wo Kee Hong, where Pasar Rd had none of these Sanken brand transistors. Ok lah... considered decent for a 70's amp.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:47 am

Over here in Malaysia, the price of Sansui went up to sky high and some sets tired and overused.
In the west, sansui is dirt cheap. Lets say AU7500 recently listed for RM1400 wherelse when you google around it is only USD125. Dont talk about conversion to 3.5 coz the wages there is equal to here or might even more. Say for instance an engineer pay here is RM3000 and there it is USD3000. Imagine buying the Sansui is like RM125 only. Why not talk about Sansui, the most USD300 for a good set. There, Sansui is abundance and some are under utilise.

Back then Sansui are considered affordable amp to them, to us expansive gears. Most of Malaysia buy is the lowest end of Sansui product line. The west are rich and it is easy for them to change equipment often unlike here lifetime companion. Garage sale is abundance there. Buy buy buy with credit, year end garage sale...There is alot of wastages there.
This amp has its own character some like it some don't. As i know loyhifi used to say, very noisy amp in Cantonese. Typical bright sounding amp. For me i like it but not for long session, i agree with loyhifi.
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:02 am

Heheh..sometimes I think Sansui amps are fanciful with plenty of knobs and looks complicated which appeal to many thinking its state of the art. Perhaps this was one great marketing ploy back then.

Wooooo!... lots of knobs wor...nice to play play!...(unlike many European amps with nothing more than selector and volume) true or not?
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:07 am

Last time amps are full of knobs with fanciful meter & LED. The British is the one that started the minamilist design. They claim why spend unnecssary stuff that does not enhance the sound. They are right but their amps are not cheap either. So all our money goes to their pocket...
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:07 am

Last time amps are full of knobs with fanciful meter & LED. The British is the one that started the minamilist design. They claim why spend unnecssary stuff that does not enhance the sound. They are right but their amps are not cheap either. So all our money goes to their pocket...
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:14 am

Whatever it is lah.. The Japanese did best with handsome looking and very reliable amplifiers whilst the Europeans just couldn't match it all. Same with cars. I somehow still have a soft spot for these Sansui, but finding a mint specimen here is anything but rare. Most used ones here are like battered cars with apparent signs of old age.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:22 am

Talking about that those Sansui amps are matched to those large boombox speaker. Those days people tend to play music loud, i mean a few neighbours away before karaoke time era. Especially chines songs it really bring the sound out. Now people are more personel. They listen music secretly like walkman or ipods. In 70s and 80s, when i was kid they like to blare their portable boombox, they share music with their friends. Even when advent of walkman, you can still listen to the music through sound leaking from their headphones. Those were the days when listening to music is sharing...
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:27 am

I remember those Japanese hifi sets (Sansui included) and those "boomboxes".. as a set in some well to do homes. Back then most people located them in the living area along some room wall or corner like some furniture. There wasn't any speaker positioning, tweaks or anything complicated to what current audiophiles do to their systems. Its all plug n play, just like a music center, no fiddling around and it served the purpose for family entertainment.
Its so different now.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:53 am

Yes last time hifi system is not meant to listen for imaging like now coz the last time stereo separation is limited in turntable system, their best source at that time. Now with cd stereo separation is better therfore enables the speaker to produce a better holographic sound scape. I did mentioned in one of the post talking about Sansui dun know where is it now....
Last time listening requirement is differnt compare now.....Last time is better bass that rattles the windows and a higher highs that can shatter glass. That when the eq came along, smilling v shape of eq is a norm back then.
You can say Sansui amps are 2 D amp unlike now 3 D amp with depth.
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:40 am

I still think vinyl have an edge over CD, in sound reproductions, in some areas. CD better imaging(?) if it's those HDCD, XRCDs, SHMCD.

EQ is still useful. Have u heard any good full range EQ system lately? If not I could arrange to bring u to a few! Present day full EQ systems runs in ten and thousands of ringgit just for the hardware and practically need a degree in engineering to know how to best set it and best maintain it in good working conditions! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_lol

The idea of bass of the '60s, 70s.....still lives on......it is this fallacies about bass and bass contents that get many forummers arguing on the 'net! Diversely different understanding about bass contents that makes for the slow acceptances of subwoofers into 2 channel stereos scene! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_biggrin

Btw, most imagings and soundstagings in most systems are still 2D despite the advancements of technology provided. It's the lack of understanding that this happens. Most will described a system having very good layerings.......exactly that!!!! Yes layerings......like standi placed front and back to give a perception of depth......but the images are still 2D not 3D!!! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_lol no solidity, no roundness, no body....why?! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_lol

Those systems with this ultimate 3D soundstagings are NOT AVAILABLE for public viewings!!! So many audiophiles do not know such things even exist!!! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_lol

Regret if this posting step on any toes, not mean to 'splash cold water'...just sharing my experiences. If anyone wants me to shuddup from now onwards........I will just do it, and enjoy my music. Cheers.

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:40 am

Yes EQ is usefull but mostly mostly usefull for prosound application to correct the hall acoustic. There are resonance and dips that needs to be corrected in order to reduce feedback from open mics. Those professional equalizer are mostly 31 Band eq and requires a sound engineer to tune or a simple approach is a spectrum analyzer. 31 Band is still not enough to treat now they have resort to dsp very narrow band frequency to treat. Who can afford this for a layman. I have this equipment because i am from the prosound industry. You are talking about 10K or more for an equalizer (normally mono and you need two for stereo=20K) and 10K or more for the spectrum analyzer. If its wrongly tuned the sound become worst. Domestic eq is 7 band or 15 band the most, how much can it correct as 31 band is still not enough...Further the Q of eq is not good enough i.e you correct the 200Hz but affect the 300hz. Mostly they made for show only. Wow looks canggih with spectrum analyzer dancing up and down

With that kind money why not invest in a better source, better amplification and better speaker. Less but not least treat your room acoustic. Easy approach right? You look at current trend where hifi people talk about eq now. Yes old timers that do not follow current trend and still talk how great sansui amps, will talk about eq....Those talk about EQ and works in PA or Sound reinforcement industy, understoodlah.

Apparently you do not know how to hear and differentiate the difference in sound. You are not in this industry, you need someone to guide you....
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:17 am

hoyhoysum wrote:
Apparently you do not know how to hear and
differentiate the difference in sound. You are not in this industry,
you need someone to guide you....

Wow !!! hey @uncle-vic , looks like you have found the SIFU already !!

You must allow him to to show you the way of the force, young Padawan.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:25 am

uncle_vic wrote:I still think vinyl have an edge over CD, in sound reproductions, in some areas. CD better imaging(?) if it's those HDCD, XRCDs, SHMCD.
(blah blah blah)
and enjoy my music. Cheers.

OK, this makes point no.2 that i fully agree with you.

Today's properly set-up TT will whack the sh!t out of any plastic CD/XRCD/HDCD//MP3/AAC/FLAC/... etc etc in all areas including Dynamics, 3D-holography, Transparency,(fill in more terms here), ... it just sound a hell damn better than any digital MEDIUM to date.
(OK, small reservation here only becoz i havent meddled much with SACD for now).

But any high-end hundred-thousand dollar CD front-ends (dCS Scarlatti anyone?) still can only "come close" to a TT rig costing half the price of the CD system. Dollar for dollar, TT still wins hands down.

The only Treshold point where a CD system could sound better than TTs would probably in the sub- RM1.5K category. These TTs are just plain cheap n' nasty.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:29 am

hoyhoysum wrote:Yes EQ is usefull but mostly mostly usefull for prosound application

( snip snip)
in this industry, you need someone to guide you....

31 bands huh ? U must be talking about those nasty BAND-PASS filters with brickwall falloffs. Screws up the phase nicely don't they ? Whats more when they all got to be fed into the combiner... ouch.

No wonder so much Pro-Equipment sound so nasty and plasticky.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:34 am

BTW, anyone who wants to listen to 3D sonic holography, here's a hint: Most easily to be found from planar source transducers. (ie, electrostat, ribbon, planar-magnetic, etc)

If you're on cones & domes, or horns, very hard to get (but not impossible).
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:23 am

Funny have heard that line b4 about not able to listen well. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_smile But since I could differentiate between a 3 fingered chord and a 4 fingered chord of the the same chord on the piano, I think I can get by oledi. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_lol

This days too many sifus around the hifi scene oledi. So much to chew on and too many disasterous misadventures waiting to happen! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_lol

Like the saying goes "the proof is in the pudding"! need to taste to know how good it is! Then again, perception is such a wonderful experience, that different persons will think he had it made! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_lol The power of positive thinking and of lateral thinking too! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_smile

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:37 am

Coincidentally, I was back from a listening session at a friend's place, when I check the threads here. This friend uses an open baffle system and it's fully EQed from the highest hz to the lowest hz! Still plenty of room treatments all over the place. Comfortable listening session and a enjoyable one too. I understand there are only 2 persons in Malaysia, into this type of hifi pursuit! No wonder so little is known about them!

I was told both systems are diyed from scratch or near scratch, and cost a fraction of what someone has to pay to buy a complete set say from Jamo........a cool rm250,000-00 Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_lol I've also heard the voted best EQ system in the Asia Pacific region where the EQ device alone cost a cool rm500,000 excluding the speakers, subwoofers and amplifiers!!!

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:42 pm

uncle_vic wrote:Coincidentally, I was back from a listening session at a friend's place, when I check the threads here. This friend uses an open baffle system and it's fully EQed from the highest hz to the lowest hz! Still plenty of room treatments all over the place. Comfortable listening session and a enjoyable one too. I understand there are only 2 persons in Malaysia, into this type of hifi pursuit! No wonder so little is known about them!

I was told both systems are diyed from scratch or near scratch, and cost a fraction of what someone has to pay to buy a complete set say from Jamo........a cool rm250,000-00 Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_lol I've also heard the voted best EQ system in the Asia Pacific region where the EQ device alone cost a cool rm500,000 excluding the speakers, subwoofers and amplifiers!!!

The problem with too much EQ in the electronics is that while one may be able to achive a "perfect freq response" (or almost perfect) room, there are just too many factors that like most things hifi, are glaringly obvious to the ear yet highly subjective and unquantifiable on paper (or so it seems).
Take for instance the nuances and airiness, or the sparkle and detail of a particular piece being put thru a playback system. Are are no lab specs that can quantify "realism" yet in most cases when stereo reproduction is put thru massive amounts of EQ, the level of "realism" takes a nose dive.

For instance, has anyone ever experienced hifi playback in a listening room with crazy super duper 99.999% acoustic dampening? This means almost no room-factor colouration already. If so, did playback sound realistic?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:44 pm

alex_kff wrote:There're not many people want to talk about Sansui simply because it
doesn't have much commercial value nowadays. If you're going to the
western/japanese site, you should find that there're many peoples out
there enjoying those great Sansui's product.

Someone is selling a really old Tube Sansui for RM4+K in the FS section... No commercial value ??

OK ok, lets see if that thing gets sold or not.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:44 pm

Pls read my earlier thread before commenting or jumping to your conclusion! Don't make a mockery of yourself. I did not say that LP are worse sounding than CDs. I say the separation( Crosstalk) is not as good as CD. Can you tell me what is average crosstalk in dB for an average price? cartridge/turntable assembly and what is the average crosstalk for cd.
Can you explain the impact on soundstage width with the crosstalk you given?
Lp is good only because it reproduce faithful analogue system and that cannot be denied. As a matter of fact i love playing lp. No doubt digital technology is closing and a matter of fact able to reproduce to 50khz, the much talk about and the impact to the sound reproduce, is your lp able to reproduce up to 50khz..

Mugenfoo, talking about bandpass filter and screwing up phase and combiner. How do you think your lps and cds come from? Pop out from the mothers womb? The Singer and musician sing thru a mic and record straight to a cd recorder or lp recorder? Have you seen a audio mixer before? How many parametric equalizer, band pass filters and combiner in the audio mixer?. They sometimes have to go through many rounds in the mixer for fine tuning before finalizing the cut. How many phases that it screw up already. The highly regraded SSl mixer is still made up NE5532 hundreds of op amps are inside the mixer. Not to mention those effect processor they use. If it is live recording the musician and sound engineers also use equalizer for their monitors
Bear your bearing right, hifi don't make live sound...live sound....produce hifi material for listener.
I have nothing against Sansui but it is overprice in Malaysia and with that same amount of money there are more better choice to consider...Unless in the mat salleh land they rebuilt the amp properly and sell at Their affordable price....over here no you buy at it is condition(no work done)..... with a rebuilt price..

I don't like to talk to unrealistic people, talking about owing a system that cost like a home or asking people to diy when you know not all people have that skill. It is better talk sensible stuff things that can help and encourage our fellow forumer and those new into hifi. Most of them here are not well to do and have a lot of commitment to undertake. I believe a lot of newbie here wants a good investment, make a right choice in buying. Talking about half a million dollars eq and building a diy stuff from scratch, how many of them are up to that calibre, are they able to handle asoldering iron let alone a hammer....Think about it lah.

Btw most musician i know are deaf actually, they do not realise that their monitor speaker horn tweeter blown...Not all lah, some ok, WHAT? I SAY>I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING..

Last edited by hoyhoysum on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:21 pm

hoyhoysum wrote:

(as above)

Good good ... keep it coming ...

BTW, someone drop me a note when they find a magical CD PLAYER that can do 50KHz ya ...
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:24 pm

Come on lah where have you been? Come out from that batman cavelah,check out universal player, the one that play SACD...Pioneer also got less than 1 K...Even nowadys speaker response already in the 50khz region. Speaker also can reach 50khz, universal player no problem even can go up to 100khz..

Last edited by hoyhoysum on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:27 pm

mugenfoo wrote:
hoyhoysum wrote:

(as above)

BTW, someone drop me a note when they find a magical CD PLAYER (not whatever SACd,XXCd, YYCD,ZZCD Player) that can do 50KHz ya ...
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:35 pm

hoyhoysum wrote:Come on lah where have you been? Come out from that batman cavelah,check out universal player, the one that play SACD...Pioneer also got less than 1 K...Even nowadys speaker response already in the 50khz region

Somehow there must be some intrinsic relation between deaf musicians, batcaves, mother's wombs and soldering irons.

@hoyhoysom, am i pissing you off? Managed to get your panties in a bunch did I ? If yes ... COOL & AWESOME!!

Yeah I'm super unrealistic (not to mention SKL too ) ... yet i get responses from you. So maybe deep down, i sincerely hope you enjoy all these as much as I do.

heck, i could even actually be a deaf person here just faking it in HiFi forums!

So, thanks for the entertainment ! Keep 'em coming !
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:43 pm

Come on dont get pissed off. It is a joke common to sound engineers that musician are deaf, you ask those pro sound guys...it is a joke i dont meant you.
Sikit taruh you nangis, comeonlah i am sorrylah. I promise i wont do it again. If i chance to see you i belanja teh tarik.
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:46 pm

hoyhoysum wrote:Come on dont get pissed off. It is a joke common to sound engineers that musician are deaf, you ask those pro sound guys...it is a joke i dont meant you.
Sikit taruh you nangis, comeonlah i am sorrylah. I promise i wont do it again. If i chance to see you i belanja teh tarik.

Geezzzz .. i thought you were the one that's pissed off .... Awww.. u spoilt my fun here .....
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:53 pm

It is true that a a lot of musician has hearing problem. They are exposed to loud music during their stage work. They dont realise it that they keep on cranking up their volume. Studies have shown long exposure of loud noise will lower your hearing sensitivity...
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:02 pm

I have read your comment and your reply to alex_kff or mugenfoo and I dont like it.....
I use British Amp but I collect Vintage Sansui Amp of the 70's
Sansui is cheap in US, I agree.... but that doesn't mean it is of low
quality in sound. Maybe the Cantonese translation which say it is noisy could also mean it is Loud and loud doesn't meant it is Trash....
No need to mention US, have you ever surf Singapore Echoloft buy / sell (Hi Fi gadgets) ? The price of used Audio be it Sansui or Macintosh is far cheaper compared to here. And you know why ? It is because their Government TAX on those items are cheaper than ours
I just came back from Singapore bringing back a SANSUI AU-9500
Amp. Ofcourse all Amp over 30 years age are " tired " but you dont
need to be an Audio Engineer to know what to REPLACE to have the
Amp running " AS NEW " It is the CAPACITORS which needs to be
changed as after over 30 years, the Capacitors dried up......
and it applies to all SOLID STATE Amp of any Brand....Not Sansui alone......
I suggest you do your RESEARCH before you comment that listening to a Sansui Amp makes you tiring......What model have you
listen to ? Remember that SANSUI made one of the BEST TUBE AMP
and POWER AMP the World has ever known.....AU-111 and BA-5000.
Have you seen an AU-@907 Sansui Amp being advertised in ebay
USA and also BA-5000 in the Canadian and German Web ? And how much does it cost ?
Go to google and read for yourself the comment and product of
SANSUI in: the best of sansui OR sansui us.
Much is talked about the minimalist design....yes the shorter
the Signal path it travelled, the better the sound so they say.....
But IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY EARS IF I SAY My SANSUI AU-9500 SOUND MUCH BETTER THAN A BRANDED BRITISH AMP......(I dont want to name it as I am sensitive to other Forummers
here) I have been reading BRITISH WHAT HI FI Magazine for over
20 years now but I found that some of their Recommendation are
questionable especially the Amp review......
You have to LISTEN TO A TOP MODEL SANSUI Amp before you or cmboy bla...bla...bla....bla...bla....bla....
Sansui DONT PUT LED's on their TOP Model Amp or even the
budget Model Amp...METERS YES, it is for Monitoring Signal to the
LEFT and RIGHT and only on their TOP GRADE POWER AMP.
That also is the same as today digital meters.
Fancy Knobs ? No, ALL the knobs has its purpose. Do you
know what led to SANSUI closure of their Factory in Japan in the
80's ? It has nothing to do with Sound Quality. Despite producing
one of the world BEST TUBE AMP and POWER AMP and having MULTIPLE AUDIO AWARDS IN JAPAN, their FACTORY closed down in
the 80's due to the Fact that demand is LOW after the INTRODUCTION OF PERSONAL COMPUTERS in the 80's and partly
due to some late model using more PLASTIC than METAL or ALUMINIUM FACEPLATE on their EARLIER MODEL.
Alex F00 and myself are 50 or almost 50 years old. despite
our age, we have travelled alot and read and listen alot of Hi Fi
gadget eventhough I am here across the South China Sea.....
He has been to Baiyun, GUANGZHOU " Flea Market " where almost
any Brands of Vintage Amp be it Sansui, Macintosh etc etc.....can be
found. There is even a shopping complex specialising in Vintage Amp
so mugenfoo is not from a cave......he has travelled alot.
Please go to KLaudiodoctor.com.my and see what Audio gadget they
use....NOT ONLY humble SANSUI (you think) which we LOVE......
And Myself, despite working in an Airline also travel sometime
but intend to go to GUANGZHOU " Flea Market " to get the SANSUI
BA-5000 POWER AMP if I cannot get a GOOD MINT CONDITION
from Singapore.
I appreciate British Amp especially the RM 10,500 AVI introduced
to me by MR Kenny Sin of Highway Laser and he is a very Professional
man. He also introduce to me a RM3,500 Roksan Kandy. I have to
AUDITION Both before making a final decision.....But the Fact is that I
WILL STILL KEEP AND TREASURE MY SANSUI VINTAGE AMP COLLECTION.......Even after I purchase the AVI partnered with B & W
Speakers.......
And also to both you and cmboy, having those Knobs on Sansui
Amps is NOT a Marketing Ploy either....
Please DO YOUR RESEARCH and also SURF the following web: the best
of sansui, sansui us. and a German and CANADIAN Vintage Amp web.
Also dont forget that some Audiophile DO SWITCH BACK FROM CD TO
VINYL although I myself favour CD but sometime use Vinyl for the
Non available CDs.........
Dont make this Forum to show off what LITTLE KNOWLEDGE you
know about HI FI.......like I said Even reading WHAT HI Magazine FOR OVER 20 YEARS, I dont make a written conclusion of a Single Brand
as we are all trying to achieve what we think is a good Hobby or
Pastime after a hard days work.......oh BTW, MR Alex foo is now
on travelling in Dubai, I hope he bring back more SANSUI Amp
brought there from the US.....
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:46 pm

Wowzers! .... and i thought @wongkn's or my posts were long-winded !!

Anyway .. may i bid a very warm welcome to fellow forummer @antaklugom who also has his magical ways with the keyboard. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_sunny

BTW, this thread should really be filed in the Equipment Sections since its all about Sansui, Sansui and more Sansui ....

Dear Moderators/hifi4sale-dude, hint hint ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by lim Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:18 am

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Lol Quote " Don't make this forum to show off what LITTLE KNOWLEDGE you know about HIFI ......" unquote. Well said, well said, well said!!!

lim

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:20 pm

antaklugom wrote:
so mugenfoo is not from a cave......

Please go to KLaudiodoctor.com.my and see what Audio gadget they
use....

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Lol Thanks ... i quite like my batcave actually. It would be the first (if ever) batcave equipped with F|R|A|N|K Acoustics PiPit Gen.1 mk.2 & PSU 1000.

Mebbe i should give him a call, for a restoration job on an ancient and trusty AU-555a in my household, just for old time's sake. Mebbe build a 4th system with this Sansui.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sanguine Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:16 am

Wah ! mugenfoo 3 systems ..... so very impressive. For all you have exhibited so far, sure your parents must be proud of you.

sanguine
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:27 am

AU-555a

not worth to restore by personal experience. sound so so..waste $

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:50 am

sanguine wrote:Wah ! mugenfoo 3 systems ..... so very impressive. For all you have exhibited so far, sure your parents must be proud of you.

yeah ... leave my family out of this ok ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:52 am

wabun wrote:
AU-555a

not worth to restore by personal experience. sound so so..waste $

i know the sound is not anything great. But part of the fun is just to get it in working. So why not ? Don't think it will cost much to restore anyways. Pasar road components will do.

Actually it is still in working order, but the gain is not balanced anymore, and some poor contacts due to age. From those toggle switches.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sanguine Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:37 am

Mugenfoo,

Was it u who said "dare think it...dare say it" and so i was thinking wah ! this boys parents must be so proud of their intelligent, accomplished, polite, well brought up son. But if I have scraped a nerve, lets end it here and say no more.

sanguine
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_kff Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:48 am

hoyhoysum wrote:
This amp has its own character some like it some don't. As i know loyhifi used to say, very noisy amp in Cantonese. Typical bright sounding amp. For me i like it but not for long session, i agree with loyhifi.

What do you mean very noisy???? and why loyhifi selling AU-111 for $4.8K???? better to sell it at RM480/= Please read below....

Sansui was founded in 1947 in Tokyo
Japan.
Started as a transformer manufacturer, Sansui produced various audio products
for more than fifty years. In its heydays, somewhere between the late 1970’s
and the mid 1980’s, Sansui was well known brand all over the world.

The name “Sansui” means “Mountain and Water.” The implicit appreciation of
“Sansui” goes back more than thousand years to the ancient China. That was
black ink drawings which depict nature, such as trees, rocks, and streams.

A Japanese Zen monk named Sesshu who was eager to learn this technique went to China that was
in Ming dynasty period. After several years of visit, he came back to Japan and
developed his own version of “Sansui” drawing. Sesshu tried to mix his Zen
philosophy into the simplicity of “Sansui” drawing. He passed away at the age
of 83 in 1503 leaving many master pieces and left fundamental influences on
Japanese culture. The meaning of strength and simplicity in black and white is
far beyond the level of just drawing techniques. Almost all ancient Japanese
culture has been somehow influenced by this philosophy.

When the founders of the transformer company named their company as Sansui,
they must have thought about the philosophy of “Sansui” drawings, and its
fundamental meanings; strength and simplicity of black ink drawing on white
paper for the purpose of depicting nature mixing with value of your life.

alex_kff
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:53 am

sanguine wrote:Mugenfoo,

Was it u who said "dare think it...dare say it" and so i was thinking wah ! this boys parents must be so proud of their intelligent, accomplished, polite, well brought up son. But if I have scraped a nerve, lets end it here and say no more.

Maybe you're describing your own kids? I dunno ... but that ain't me (duh!). Either that or mebbe u got me confused with someone else... Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread Icon_twisted

And thanks for the sarcasm ... i definitely enjoyed it very much. Kudos to you on your coming-out party.

Oh and one more thing, do go ahead and say what u think ...but do allow me to qualify this further... which is say what u think based on the points , facts , mis-facts , arguments, opinions, etc etc... in this hifi forum. Like, even go ahead and spell it out if u think the admin or moderator or whoever here seems to be taking whoever's side, biases and prejudices and all.

OK, so lets keep non-related parties out of this and leave it as such. Spouses, kids, parents, aunt and uncles, cousins, distant relatives even pets ya ... (unless of course, they are fellow forummers here and/or have a knack for Audio-video stuff).

Now lets get back to Sansui vintages . Do you happen to own one ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jcwlow Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:24 am

Anybody into vintage Marantz amps too? I have a circa 70s Marantz 1060 integrated and it kicks major posterior....

jcwlow
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:46 am

Hello there ! I or alex__kff are not trying to entice any forummer here
to go and " switch Allegiance " to Sansui. But since Hi Fi is a wide wide world, we dont expect people to openly " belittle " the product just because they are IGNORANT of all those Achievement and Multiple Awards bestowed to Sansui during the 60's, and 70's.
When Sansui founder and Chief Audio Engineer Kosaku Kikuchi retired in the 1974, the AU-9500 (solid state Amp but with Tube like sound) was the Flagship and Top Model. Even before this model swept the Japan Audio Award, they have made one of the World Best Tube Amp even to TODAY'S Standard.The AU-111. Why not give Loyhi fi a call and ask them how much they are willing to part with that AU-111 ? .....a cool RM 4,800. ( Thats is more expensive than a Roksan Kandy Integrated Amp.....) I saw one advertised in Singapore
echoloft last month for SING$ 6000 !!! and one in ebay from Jakarta
seller for USD$1,500.
The parts for Integrated Amp for restoration are NOT bought at pasar Road but imported from Japan (Nichicon, elna, Rubycon, Capacitor and Sanken and when not available, Toshiba Transistor is used) Open up some of your British Amp and believe me, there are
also parts manufactured in Malaysia and now most Amp are Manufactured in China including the B & W speakers ?
So why look down on Sansui Amp when it was Manufactured in its
home Origin, JAPAN ?
Do we often hear of any other Brands of Amp having a CLUB
or " Cult Following " by the thousands all around the World ?
Seldom or never ! But SANSUI, Yes !!! There are Sansui " Cult " or Club all around the World !!!
To mugenfoo, thanks for your support but kindly read more
on google on Sansui web....especially those Top Model.
Until today, the Top model are still categorised under High End.
Anybody interested just to read, go to google...the best of sansui, and sansui us, I repeat sansui US (USA)...
To jcwlow, Vintage Hi Fi is " High Time " in countries like
Germany, USA, Australia and also Singapore. There are quite a
number or Vintage Macintosh 124, 123,122, AND 121 Tube Amp in Singapore too and check out how much does it cost too.....
Remember, dont think Audio Engineer of the 70's missed
out on the complex Sound separation technology....What they did then was what is also done by the modern day Audio Engineer (I mean on Stereo Hi Fi) Remember, Mission Cyrus Amp manufactured
during the 80's ? It has also the same sound as Today.....My first
experience with Mission Cyrus Amp was when I went to Pertama
Komplex then...Same goes with Sansui Audio Engineer....
The only DIFFERENCE NOW in Audio Engineering for the
Homes is the Audio Video Surround Amplifier. During the 80's, they
created the Dolby Surround, THX etc..etc..and Now, DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 etc etc.....
For the Home Hi Fi Stereo, ALL IS THE SAME......Do you
know that Sansui High End Model is having a THD of 0.001 ?
Even today's Modern Amp cannot achieve that THD !!! But ofcourse
our Human Ear cannot Differentiate a THD of 0.1 and 0.001 !!!
So, for you out theret who think that you have a " Four star " Tag on this Forum, while we, a new member for not come to a year,
We are also a " Four Star " tag at other International Audio or Car
Forum. Anyway, I dont expect any hard feeling but please KEEP ON
DOING your RESEARCH on HI FI Model which you are not familiar with
before you or cmboy say " they though the more knobs and LED's, the better the sound is " It is only a marketting ploy " both of you said earlier.
You are doing Injustice or BELITTLE the Hundred of SANSUIOwner and Fans here in Malaysia, Singapore and around the WORLD !!!

P/S: Oh, mugenfoo, I always mistook you for alex__kff and sorry for the mix-up. Aside from this Forum, there are also other Hi Fi Forum
in selangor, the KLAUDIODOCTOR.......check out what Audio gadget they have......
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:20 am

Hey antaklugom whoever you are. I think I've had enough of your comments which I think you're pushing rubbing it in or getting personal like as if I insulted your family members. You purposely quoted my nick quite a few times telling convincing everyone here I'm more or less an idiot here. I thought it more or less stop at your last posting, but you QUOTE MY NICK AGAIN! (short of another forumer here) to my surprise! I think you're really getting personal.
My comments in an open forum is not definitive and I personally don't think I've belittled nor suggested that everyone should stay away or don't buy any Sansui products at all. I've used words like "sometimes I think", or "perhaps or likely" which I'm entitled to think anything for myself, and you're nobody to tell me what I can think of any hifi product.
I think you're being arrogant and speaking very LCLY in rebuking some of my candid comments! Go to hell with you, as far as I'm concerned!

Last edited by cmboy on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:29 am

cmboy wrote: You purposely quoted my nick quite a few times telling convincing everyone here I'm more or less an idiot here. I thought it more or less stop at your last posting, but you QUOTE MY NICK AGAIN! (short of another forumer here) to my surprise! I think you're really getting personal.

Don't sweat it dude ...... people who have read your many posts or sparred with them (incl yours truly) won't think you're an idiot unless u own up to it.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:37 am

Hahaha...perhaps my nick is very convenient to type so my nick is frequently quoted????...to my annoyance and stepping on my tail?
And who's to stop him from quoting me on more occasions in this topic or other topics????
Wait, wait.. I think I'm hearing things about this fella!...
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 am

Sansui 111 is one of the flagship model ( and legend aS WELL)and its phono stage is hardly comparible with even today standard. So asking 4 grant
is nothing surprise.

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_kff Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:51 am

wabun wrote:Sansui 111 is one of the flagship model ( and legend aS WELL)and its phono stage is hardly comparible with even today standard.

Agreed with you wabun....

For those audiophile who haven't listen to Sansui's vintage amplifier, don't
said that your current amp. is the best.

Simply because..... Sansui will put you into next level.

Cheers for those who own Sansui.

alex_kff
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:17 am

Isnt RM4800 a bit pricey for a 40 year old amp? How much should one pay for an au111 in reasonable condition?

Bite
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:29 am

Bite wrote:Isnt RM4800 a bit pricey for a 40 year old amp? How much should one pay for an au111 in reasonable condition?

I'm sure that dealer have asked around and based on market price, so it may command that price. Other vintage amps like Leak, Quad, Radford and others are also astronomical in price as seen in places like Ebay and there's people somehow, somewhere willing to pay. Willing seller, willing buyer?.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next