Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

+44
sss333
arremie
Shamjohor
public holiday
hasnul
kenny81
ST-50
gloraglory
timotiusw
thegoodarcher
peijie
fizi
Rijang
drife
Tachikoma
edddddy21
ecoli123
arabungkus
CKHOO
ngheong
carz
jazzfunksoulmusic
Keith
skooi3
seanlee731107
kamen555
Cooltube
jazzy939
wingman
sonyman1
ryder
Bite
jcwlow
wabun
sanguine
lim
antaklugom
mugenfoo
hoyhoysum
cmboy
azri
uncle_vic
alex_kff
48 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

Post by timotiusw Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Dear Antaklugom, I just bought Sansui AU717 and interested to change the speaker connector to banana plug. Could you please send me the pictures how to do it to my email, timotius60@yahoo.com? Your help would be appreciated. Regards Timotius W Very Happy

timotiusw

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Back to top Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

Post by thegoodarcher Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:01 am

Hi antak,
thank you for your efforts, in explaining the above matter, very much appreciate it!

thegoodarcher
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:04 am

You're very welcome, goodarcher.....But I advise you, go for Dedicated Amp like the 7 Series AU-417, AU-517, AU-717, AU-719, or AU-919. The 3 similar Digit Series ie: AU-666, AU-777, AU-888 and the Flagship AU-999 are very hard
to find. They are already considered RARE. Luckily Two of my Friends (Fellow Forummer here) managed to get AU-777 each and said they wouldn't part with it.
The AU-9500 is also very hard to get, but once a while it appeared in
ebay USA or Canada. I have been searching for AU-717 also but very hard
to find. I heard there are Two units in Kuching, Sarawak that I know but
have not seen it.
Timotiusw, I will send you the Photos of the Speaker Terminal modified with Banana Plug.Tomorrow through yahoo mail.
I hope you can find another ONE AU-717 in MINT Condition in Jakarta for me. I will personally come to collect it. Because I heard there are many Vintage Amp there. I can assist to get the Capacitor from Singapore if it
is not available in Jakarta.
Thanks for your interest in Sansui...... Very Happy Laughing Cool
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:29 am

Hi Timotiusw, Is your AU-717 fitted with Handles when you bought it ?
I tell you, these handle are very hard to get. Even Sansui partshop
based in Holland (Dealing in NOS, Sansui Parts) dont have stock.
The Handles (One pair) are normally sold in ebay for USD 75 (RM 230 Malaysian Ringgit) The Handles are " Universal " They are also fitted to the TU-7 Series and can be attached to the Left or Right. Sometimes, Sellers are very clever nowadays, they took it out and sell separately later........ Mad Mad
Both my AU-417 ans AU-517 have Handles fitted......but I sold one
Pair to fellow Forummer here for Friend's sake...to be fitted to his AU-719 Amplifier.......The condition is far better than some Sold in ebay...... Shocked Shocked Shocked
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by timotiusw Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:42 am

Dear Antaklugom, thank you very much for your email. This forum is very helpful for me. Thank you also for your offer for capasitor from Singapore. I already sent it to technician to deep cleaning the inside from dust and check the condition of amplifier. I actually bought it from Surabaya and I also got handles with it. Luckily I think it is quite cheap, 2500000 rupiahs in original condition. The sound I think is good even before upgrade with new capasitors and other parts. I promise to search another AU 717 here for you, but mint condition Sansuis are very quick to sell here. Yesterday the seller already sold AU719 only just one day after posting it on the web.
He offer me AU517 in original condition with price 1750000 rupiahs, but I told him that I am looking for AU717. What is your opinion for AU517?

Regards
Tim

timotiusw

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:56 am

Hi there...

How good is the performance of AU-888...market price for it ?
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:23 am

Hello Tim,
I already have the AU-517 which is a 65 Watts RMS X 2 while the
bigger " Brother " the AU-717 is a 75 Watts RMS X 2 both with 0.025 % THD
with both channel Driven from 20 to 20,000 Hertz.
Soundwise, I do not know the difference since I dont have the AU-717
but I came across a Blog (Forum) by one international Sansui Fan which said that he owned both Model and the sound is almost Identical and actually cannot differentiate the Differences.
But I think because of the More Power " at your disposal " the AU-717
is very much sought after in ebay sometime having up to 35 Bids for a very Mint Condition one. ( I lost the Bid at the last 2 minutes of Bidding two days ago, with the Succesful bidder putting in USD 240.50 (ofcourse you never know the other bidder outbid you at the last minute) while My last bid was USD 238)
But I won the matching Tuner TU-717 for USD 168 (no Handle)
The Handle are all Universal for AU-417/517/717/719 and also for Tuner
TU-417/517/717/719.
AU-719 is supposed to be an Improved Version (sound quality) of AU-717 but the inside (chassis and Heatsink) are made differenty.The Chassis is only Galvanised and the Heatsink are normal Aluminium with its
plate also Galvanised. Unlike the AU-517 and AU-717, the Chassis and Heatsink plates are Powder coated and Heatsink are Anodised Black.
This is because AU-517 and AU-717 are Export Model meant for
the International Market. These Two models are named AU-607 and AU-707
for the Japan Domestic Market and they dont have Powder Coated Chassis
and Anodised Heatsink.
Word of advice to all Sansui Fan having the Lower and Middle range model of Sansui Amplifier - Please DO NOT USE A 4 Ohms Speaker system as this will Destroy the Amps Output Transistors. 4 ohms Speaker load are hard to Drive, It Drained out your Amps Power which led to Amp " Clipping " . ONLY Higher Model like the AU-9500 and above Can drive a 4 ohms Speaker System. Use at least 8 ohms and above. To get the benefit of Good, Tight and Solid Bass, go for Floor Standers Speaker.
Tim, if you want to collect, get the AU-517 also because almost
all the Parts are Identical ie: Knobs, Toggle switches, Cover, Chassis and also the Volume Control except the Transformers and some other Important
part are Different. Tim, go to your profile and choose your Avatar....heh...heh... selamat tengah hari Pak Tim....

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:49 am

Fizi,
You know what, the 2nd Model from the Top ie: au-888 are SELDOM seen or even put up in ebay. (Top model being AU-999) Same goes with AU-8500 which is the 2nd model from Top (Being AU-9500 the Top of that Series).
I also dont Understand why but my only Guess is that the Importer saw that Since they Import the Top Model AU-999 and AU-9500, they would NOT Import the 2nd Model from the Top (Maybe because of only slight Price difference). INSTEAD, they Import the 3rd Model from Top of that Class ie : AU-777 for the 3 similar Digit Series and AU-7500 for the other series. This is also very Evident on the International Market. Thats why we can almost easily get AU-7500 and AU-777 here in Malaysia and Singapore and also ebay USA but Never heard of One AU-888 or AU-8500 for sale. In ebay yes but once in a " Blue moon ".
So the best option is to get AU-777 (USD 7XX in ebay last week)
and my friend bought here in KL for RM1000 plus (lucky for Him) while I got my AU-9500 for SGD 700 Two years ago while another buyer Bought his for
RM 2XXX Plus here. But I spent extra on the Airfare.
So having known the Price of the Top range and the 3rd Ranking,
you can calculate the price of the 2nd Top Model AU-888. But if there is any
here in Malaysia. Can check with Wo Kee Hong if they still have the Statistic
of these Series they Imported into Malaysia during those 70's and early 80's. Remember that AU-777 is also very " sweet " sounding as what Two
of our Forummers here confessed. They will sell off their Lower Model but
NOT these AU-777 they said. Cool Cool Cool
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:39 pm

Mr Antak is really sifu with all this info about sansui...that mean i will nego with my friend bout au888...thanks a lot

will check the condition of the amp..
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Fizi,
No lah....Dont flatter me Bro......There are others here who know more about Sansui but prefer to be quiet....heh...heh...heh...If its true that your friend have the AU-888, Then go all out for it Bro......Its already RARE !!! Once its gone,
its gone for good........tq
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by antaklugom on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong spelling and small addition)
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kamen555 Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:43 am

Dudes,

Bro antakglum mentioned that speakers with low sensitivities can tax the low-mid sansuis...My Dali bookshelf is rated 6 Ohm...okay ah? Cause my Sansui is rated 35W... is this going to damage the amp in the long run?

kamen555
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Kamen555,
6 ohms speakers can be used but you have to Turn the
volume higher......You try an 8 ohms Speakers, you will know what
I mean. Its like this :- To obtain a desired Sound level on your Dali,
say you turn the Volume to the 9 O'clock Position, But using an 8 ohms
Speakers, you will only need to Turn it to 8 O'clock position or even 7.30 position.
And not only that, have you seen most medium Amp has the
Warning at the Rear that says like this : " Use speakers with Minimun 8 ohms ". High End and Top power Amp (Integrated Amp) or separate Power Amp can accept speakers as LOW as 2 0hms but not the Low powered Amp. ( I am using some Low power Amp like Sansui AU-417 also)
6 ohms can be used but for your 35 Watts per channel, its
better to use at least 8 ohms. You can do research on the Web regarding
this on google search Box : Using a 4 ohms VS 8 0hms Speakers.
That is why, people using Tube Amp will use Speakers HIGHER
than 8 ohms (16 Ohms also if they can find it) and its very hard to find. Because Tube Amp has Low Power but PURE and Livelike imaging , (as if the Singer is sitting right there infront of you), owners will definately hunt for the Higher Sensitivity Speakers on the Market. The 6 ohms or 4 ohms Speakers will gradually make your Amp " Clipped " if you try to turn the Volume Higher because the more you Turn Up the Volume, the More Demand of Power by your Speakers and the Amp produce more Distortion and finally it " Clipped ". And normally, the Output Transistors will be the Casualties....
I have a pair of Original 4 ohms JBL LX-600 but I could not
use it for my Sansui AU-417 and AU-517 Despite both having a 65 Watts
RMS X 2. But I can use my AU-9500 because it is stated at the back of the
Amp. And you know what, Lower Sensitivity Speakers is actually GOOD for
VOCALS. (I Tested it against Mission M54 series having 8 0hms) Thats why Wharfedale Diamond Series are mostly 6 Ohms- better Vocals)
But if your Amp are NOT meant for Speakers below 8 Ohms,
then my advice is DONT use it. I welcome other Seasons Forummer here
to explain further as this Forum is to Help all members.
Very Happy

Last edited by antaklugom on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong spelling and small addition)
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_kff Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for your efforts ANTAKLUGOM - I think we can safely say we have a definitive answer now.

alex_kff
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Fizi, any news on the AU-888 ? Its a RARE Item you know........
AU-777 is already very good Sounding - Tube Amp like...(Sansui's First silicon Transistor Amp) followed by AU-888 and then of course the " Flagship " of that 3 similar Digit series the AU-999, one of the " Most Wanted " / sought after Amps of the 70's.....All the above Amps are also good for Pre-AMP
and many Sansui Khakis over the world who has this Amp really Love it.....
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:29 pm

antaklugom wrote:Fizi, any news on the AU-888 ? Its a RARE Item you know........
AU-777 is already very good Sounding - Tube Amp like...(Sansui's First silicon Transistor Amp) followed by AU-888 and then of course the " Flagship " of that 3 similar Digit series the AU-999, one of the " Most Wanted " / sought after Amps of the 70's.....All the above Amps are also good for Pre-AMP
and many Sansui Khakis over the world who has this Amp really Love it.....
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Hi Mr Antak,
I will go back to ipoh next month and will go and see personally on the condition...will update on this once i manage to audition it... Very Happy

p/s - hopefully the phono stage is good

I also wanna service my Sony STR 5800 amplifier so long already in my father store room..i dont know either it still in working condition..the service man is that told me about AU888...maybe i can trade with my STR 5800 hahahhahahahah Twisted Evil
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 am

Ok fizi, if you dont intend to purchase it, pass it to me as I am interested but
I dont want to jump your que....ha...ha...ha....serious ! I can make it back to
running condition as long as the Original Transformer and Circuit booards are
all there. Better still EVERYTHING is Intact.....NO SOUND, NO PROBLEM BRO...
Very Happy Use smiling Icon Bro.....not that Devilish look....ha....ha....ha.....Gud Day.
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kamen555 Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:15 pm

antaklugom wrote:Kamen555,
6 ohms speakers can be used but you have to Turn the
volume higher......You try an 8 ohms Speakers, you will know what
I mean. Its like this :- To obtain a desired Sond level on your Dali,
say you turn the Volume to the 9 O'clock Position, But using an 8 ohms
Speakers, you will only need to Turn it to 8 O'clock position or even 7 O'clock.
And not only that, have you seen most medium Amp has the
Warning at the Rear that says like this : " Use speakers with Minimun 8 ohms ". High End and Top power Amp can accept speakers as LOW as 2 0hms but not the Low powered Amp. ( I am using some Low power Amp
also)

antaklugom,

Thanks for the info bro. Appreciate it.

I mainly listen to vinyl and I notice that I need to have the volume up to 9'oclock to get decent bass. This is usually when I play Jazz records. I crank the volume up to 10'oclock (never up to half though) and sometimes higher when I put on Rock records.

When I play CD or Cassettes, or when I listen to my Tuner, I have the volume locked at 9'o'clock because higher than that it starts to get noisy.

I don't use it for video at all.

I'm sending the Sansui to be looked over by someone this weekend to fix the built-in phono as well as maybe recap the whole thing. See lah how it goes.

kamen555
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:39 pm

Thats good Bro...Actually when I started to get " hooked " on HiFi when I bought my 1st Amp (2nd Hand), I dont even know what Speaker's Ohm is all about. That times, there was a Column on STAR Newspapers every Thursday......One Article (about HIFI of course) by Resident HIFI Columnist
by the name of SUJEST PAVITHRAN.....(I hope he is still around and Read this....) I really owe this man a Gratitude....For having " Introduced " us to the World of HIFI ( Its Terms - Remember, there was no Internet here those years and we rely on Magazine, Newspapers and Books....
Because of his writting, I understand more and more about Ohms, Impedance, Watts, RMS and the False gimmick Term to market most " Boom Boxes " during those years, the PMPO. (Peak Music Power Output) - which is not the real and actual Term to measure the Power of an Amp.
Nowadays its very easy......Just Type on google search Box and 1001 explanations comes out.... So to Refresh.......a 4 ohms Speakers will need DOUBLE the Power of that needed to Drive a pair of 8 Ohms Speaker efficently. IE: If it only needs 20 Watts to drive the 8 ohms, you will need 40 Watts of power to obtain the same Sound Level in Decibel per metre to drive the 4 Ohms. And when your Amp " Demands that DOUBLING of Power which it is not mean to do, the Transistors at the output Stage will " Fry up " HOT, Cooked.......and went Kaput..
I like 6 ohms Speakers especially Wharfedale Diamond Series because Singers VOCAL really " comes out ". But you will need an Amp
capable of Driving it, normally the High Power type in the Region of
120 Watts per Channel. (But some Low power one are also designed to
be used with 6 Ohms Speakers) I suggest you try to Hook your Sansui to a
Pair of 8 ohms and the Sound level will be Louder and cleaner at a LOWER
Turns of the Volume Control. Save your Dali for Future Upgrade as Dali is
a Well known good Speakers. (Dali reviews is always good) But its a well
known facts that Bookshelf Speaker cannot really give you that Thunderous
Bass especially the Kick Drum like Floorstanders do.......
But Music is personal preferences, some like Heavy Disco music , Some like Jazz and Blues while some prefer Classical like Mozart, Beethoven....(I like
Mozart - The marriage of Figaro etc.....and other compilation) so here, Bookshelf is the norm......) Lastly, Sansui are known to have good Phono Stage. Like the AU-9500, there is even a separate adjustable knobs for controlling the signal level for MC or switching to MM.......
Do you know that there is a group of HiFi Khakis in KL or PJ who can design and Build a good Phono Stage for any Amp ? I have the Contact but
your Sansui Phono Stage is already good actually...... ) Cool Cool Cool

Last edited by antaklugom on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Some wrong spellings and missed words)
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kamen555 Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Dudes,

Just sent my sansui to be checked. Aiyo, the guy said the thing has been repaired before. Some transistors have been replaced...he said not all, but some...patutla harga murah masa beli...
Sad

kamen555
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:46 pm

Shocked

Last edited by fizi on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi Mr Antak...i send a msg at ur msg box cheers
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi fizi,
Thanks alot for the Sansui AU-888 Photos.......looking " very MINT "
condition. I have replied to your message.....Sssssssh.......between us.....
Thanks alot Bro fizi....you re really a " FOUR STAR " Veteran here with
435 number of post to date....heh...heh...heh..... bounce bounce bounce
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:22 pm

antaklugom wrote:Hi fizi,
Thanks alot for the Sansui AU-888 Photos.......looking " very MINT "
condition. I have replied to your message.....Sssssssh.......between us.....
Thanks alot Bro fizi....you re really a " FOUR STAR " Veteran here with
435 number of post to date....heh...heh...heh..... bounce bounce bounce

Really funny la uncle...they is nothing bout the star or post ..admire at ur age n expirience..my self is only young ciku's to compare..yes it will between us only hehehehhehe... Laughing
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by gloraglory Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:43 pm

ya ya.. between you two.... Question
four star OK, porn star KO Very Happy
gloraglory
gloraglory
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2010-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:43 am

glory glory...they r sentimental value between us...hahahhahahah
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:56 am

gloraglory, what a CUTE Kitty Icon you have....heh...heh...heh...
with that Pomelo skin...... Laughing Razz Cool
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:09 am

Mr Antak...glory is my friends actually...have u seen the picture at ur email..
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:17 am

Bro fizi, I thought you go to sleep already when I open this email....heh....
heh.....I will open yahoo mail tomorrow....response too slow these few days...
......otherwise I cannot catch some sleep....zzzzzz...zzzz.....

Ok, " see you " in the forum again tomorrow......its late now......zzz....zzzz
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gloraglory Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:35 pm

antaklugom wrote:gloraglory, what a CUTE Kitty Icon you have....heh...heh...heh...
with that Pomelo skin...... Laughing Razz Cool

thaks hehe Very Happy
copy from the net not my kitty actually..
same as you what a handsome elvis.
gloraglory
gloraglory
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Gloraglory, Ok...ok ....I heard that there is (are) Sansui khakis in Johore. Do you know these people ? I heard that they even have the AU-717 which is a
" Hard to find " model.......The last advertised one sold at lelong.com (by a KL
Seller fetched RM 2XXX plus mark........International Review was very good........ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:13 pm

Mr Antak,
Info from my friend said he much more prefer AU70 rather then AU111...but as usual the sound quality is more to individual preference...last wednesday i really lucky got chance to see real MARANTZ 7...
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by gloraglory Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:19 am

Dear Mr.Antak, sorry not much info i get from johore because i think they do it quietly ( this is not car audio ha ha).
or i not good enough to go near them as i myself is newbee. sorry again and will let you know if i get some Surprised
gloraglory
gloraglory
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:26 am

fizi, Yes, some said the sound of AU-111 was not to their expectation.....
albeit the much hyped reviews.......It could possibly be the aging Tubes
or Capacitos......or the Speakers is not matching for the AU-111. AU-70 is also Tube Amp. Well, lets share with us what that Marant 7.....is. we dont mind as this forum is for All Brands whether Vintage or New....
Although, I only mentioned Sansui in this Foum, I like many other Brands of Amps like NAD, Audiolab and AVI (but very expensive)

Gloraglory, ok, thanks....but I think the Johorean has the advantage of
purchasing as I heard many Audio (2nd hand) are brought in from Singapore. can google surf: echoloft (buy/sell) You will see so many Vintage as well as modern Audio Equipment sold there at very good prices.
Like the Marantz CD63SE, can be easily bought there 2nd Hand than
here.....
Rolling Eyes Very Happy Laughing

Last edited by antaklugom on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Some word or letter missed out)
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by timotiusw Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:28 am

Good Morning dear Antaglugom. Here I come again after communicating offline with you this morning. Responding with your info regarding capasitor, my technician offer to change it with MARCON from Nippon Uni Chem? The spec is the same 10000 uF, 63 V. I prefer Nichicon or Elna as your info in this forum. I search it from ebay, but the price has many variations from many suppliers. Nichicon is the most expensive, 115US$ for a pair. Rubycon is the cheapest with 8.85UD$, but I found Rubycon is a lot being discussed in Audio Asylum, so I prefer Rubycon from Marcon. I really confused. Is it because expensive it will give best result in sound? Thank you for your info.

timotiusw

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:21 am

tim, Dont be mistaken......It is NOT the FOUR BIG Power Capacitor (Black
colour) that you must change. It is the FIVE pcs on each of the LEFT and
RIGHT DRIVER CHANNEL which is also called the LEFT CHANNEL Power
Section and the RIGHT CHANNEL Power Section.
Your Technician can easily DETACHED both the LEFT and RIGHT CHANNEL
DRIVER (or Power Section) from the Amp Body and do the Capacitors
Replacement. The BIG BLACK POWER CAPACITOR (nichicon in AU-717) is
Not necessary to change even IF there is a slight Drop it its Microfarad
value/ Reading when tested.
Sansui Engineers is very clever to make Circuit Board separately for
Different Section and thus can be easily replaced or service separately.
From my experience, ELNA sound better against nichicon for the biggest
TWO Capacitors on each of the Left or Right Channel. ie: 470 mF 63 v.
at Position C11 and C14. The smaller two at Position C02 and C04 can
use nichicon of 33 mF 25 V and the smallest at Position C12 of 1 mF 50 V
can use ELNA.
I " played " changing Brands between these TWO at those Position
and my Finding is that ELNA is Better sounding with TIGHT SOLID and
Controlled BASS and sweet detailed TREBLE. while using Nichicon at the same position on C11 and C14 produced " muddled " or dull Bass and overshadowed Treble. But this is my own " experiment.
Rubycon is popular in the west but I prefer only ELNA and Nichicon. One
named " BLACK GATES " is very expensive but International Forummer confessed these " Black Gates " capacitor by Rubycon (correct me if I am
wrong on the Brand) Sounds wonderfull !!!!
Nippon Chemi-con or Nichicon for the Protector Circuit or the BIG FOUR
POWER capacitors which is NOT necessary to change unless it has " Bulge "
or the Reading falls to far. Have you got email ? I can sent you photos
or Capacitor Value/ Reading and its POSITION on the CIRCUIT Board for
some AU 7 series model. (AU-417 /AU-517/ AU-719/ and AU-9500)

Cool Cool Shocked Cool

Last edited by antaklugom on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition of some words)
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gloraglory Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:33 am

Dear Mr.Antak, did sansui stop doing amp nowadays? i like sansui thing also and i have and old sansui cdp. some say sansui brand different from with/without S emblem
gloraglory
gloraglory
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:49 am

Glory, yes they stopped somewhere in the 80's......60's to late 70's are their
" Glory Days ". The company went into Receivership (Bankruptcy) in the late 80's NOT because of the product quality (they Won many JAPAN HIFI Awards) But because the demand has DROPPED.... with the introduction of PERSONAL COMPUTERS by other Companies and especially in the USA that time.
(Sansui has Assembly Plant in the USA also, thats why today you can easily
buy VINTAGE SANSUI items in the USA.
You can read its History at : the best of Sansui (use google search box)
but the Famed HASHIMOTO Transformers is still able to be purchased by
special order especially for the Hand ASSEMBLED AU-111 Tube Amp by
HASHIMOTO ELECTRICT COMPANY which carry on the Sansui Tradition.
Ofcourse another factor which led to their closing is the Quality of the
last few thousand Batches of Amplifier produced in the late 80's. these Amps
were built using Inferior material like PLASTICS rather than the Traditional
powdercoated BLACK ALUMINIUM right up to the KNOBS......Fakes products made in Taiwan under the name " sansui " made the matter Worse......
That is why, if you are a Sansui Collector, Go for the 60's to late 70's
Items, But some manufactured in the early 80's like the AU- 7 series, the BA-5000 and BA-3000 Power Amp, are so nicely built and can easily beat the sound of some Modern Integrated or Powr Amps at half the price......Meaning to say, you will need to spend alot of money to buy the Modern Amp to get to the same level of Sound quality on some Mid and High End Model.......
In 1999 the Company produced the last batch of AU-111 Tube Amp
but can still be " Special Ordered " till today. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Last edited by antaklugom on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition of some words and correction of spelling)
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gloraglory Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:37 am

thanks a lot for your info. actually love to hear more from you. Smile
gloraglory
gloraglory
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by timotiusw Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Dear Antaklogum. Thank you very much for your detail info. I really appreciate it. It really helpful for me and others in this forum. Smile

timotiusw

Back to top Go down

Post by timotiusw Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Dear all. My Sansui AU717 already has been upgrade. The upgrade are power cable with acrolink, speakers connector with generic type and all four capasitors at right and left channels. Also clean inside with WD40. I test it with Klipsch bookshelf speaker type RB61. What I have heard as if all dirts are gone from my ears. What a big different. The details from hight to low is amazing. Thank you to Mr. Antaklugom.

timotiusw

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi Tim,
You are very much welcomed !!! Its good news to know that you own one of the Best Top model of that 7 Series - ie: AU-717. Even my humble AU-417 can bring out fine details of the Perscussion Instruments.....what more to say of the AU-717 !!! Very Fantastic......But I advice you to use Floor Standers Speakers to get the Full benefit of the Musics including the LOW Frequency....the sound of Bass Guitar or Kick Drum.
Some of us here (See wanted column) are still HUNTING for this AU-717 here in Malaysia but very difficult to find. The last known sale of this Amplifier was about Three months back and was bought for around RM 2200 (Rupiah 8,000,000) !!!
Thanks again for your compliment......we are here to help fellow HiFi
enthusiasts......( worldwide ) !!!

Very Happy Very Happy Cool
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jcwlow Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to all things Sansui..and I hope you don't mind if I ask you Sansui gurus a thing or two about the AU-70.

Would just like to know if it might match my Aliante Moda speakers, which are not really smooth but has good bass and a bit forward in the mids and treble region, and very detailed.

I play TT a lot and was also wondering if it might have the typical warm lush sound that tube amps are known for

Thanks for your cherished input on this amp, guys

jcwlow
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by kamen555 Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:45 am

Bros,

I sent my sansui for repairs a while back and the dude found that 2 of its output transistors had been changed from the original NEC to Motorola transistors. Just wanted to ask what changes it might due to the sound? The dude that helped me look at the amp also said the previous owner had already serviced the amp, so he just fixed the phono stage.

It's a AU217 (I had previously listed it as a AU317, my mistake.). Im very happy with it at the moment, even though its 30 watts it still gives the music quite a kick. But just wondering what the change in transistors does to the sound. Any idea? confused

kamen555
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ST-50 Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm

if not the original transistor replacement sure the sound will chance, the original pair was 2SB545A and 2SD188A. but this transistor are no longer supply so at the end you have to replace it with other transistor.

ST-50

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by kenny81 Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:41 pm

any ppl know abt sansui au7500 price? and how abt sound isit gd???
kenny81
kenny81
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:55 pm

https://www.hifi4sale.net/t12022-sansui-au-7500

Try PM this guy...maybe its help Very Happy
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49 am

Hi Sansui fans....

Upcoming sansui amplifier for sale - model AU-417(with handle) and AU-7500...PM me if intrested...exchange with vintage speaker or pre amplifier will consider to..Details and exact picture will advertise at For Sale section soon...

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 5 Imagem10
Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 5 Pb011410

Thanks
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi Sansui fans....

AU - 7500 on sale now.... Very Happy
Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 5 Pb011412

Thanks Very Happy
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hasnul Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Err...guys, anyone using Au-70 here. Hows the sound like ? Sweet & warm or fast & dynamic ?
hasnul
hasnul
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega P3 + Yamaha WXC-50 Streamer
Amplification: Rega Elex-R
Speakers: ATC SCM12

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 pm

hasnul wrote:Err...guys, anyone using Au-70 here. Hows the sound like ? Sweet & warm or fast & dynamic ?

Bro,PM bro HAZY for opinion he has 3 units of this amp before....from my ears i still prefer AU70 rather then heavyweight AU111... Shocked
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next