Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

+44
sss333
arremie
Shamjohor
public holiday
hasnul
kenny81
ST-50
gloraglory
timotiusw
thegoodarcher
peijie
fizi
Rijang
drife
Tachikoma
edddddy21
ecoli123
arabungkus
CKHOO
ngheong
carz
jazzfunksoulmusic
Keith
skooi3
seanlee731107
kamen555
Cooltube
jazzy939
wingman
sonyman1
ryder
Bite
jcwlow
wabun
sanguine
lim
antaklugom
mugenfoo
hoyhoysum
cmboy
azri
uncle_vic
alex_kff
48 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

Post by ryder Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:43 pm

loyhifi's prices are usually okay but frankly I thought there is a typo in the RM4,800 figure whereby the additional 0 was accidental, seriously.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

Post by wabun Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:04 pm

if you can found how much an original Marantz 7 preamp sell.. you will understand. http://cgi.ebay.com/EARLY-MARANTZ-7-7C-STEREO-TUBE-SN11289-TELEFUNKEN-12AX7_W0QQitemZ380168608352QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20091016?IMSfp=TL091016189002r38216

asking for US 5599

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:08 pm

Hey, if you all think these vintages asking for rediculous prices, just the other day at Amcorp, a plain looking small teak wood bedside cabinet selling for RM2,000. Nothing fancy, just very plain look.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Ryder, no mistake in the price. The recent SGD6k price may have something to do with the price tag.

For a AU111 in reasonable condition a punt in the $3k range perhaps but not at 4.8k

cmboy....bought my first teak cabinet around your age. Good workmanship, nice grain. Still have it today and it cost me RM200 then. Like you i complained ...... Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_smile

Bite
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Bite wrote:For a AU111 in reasonable condition a punt in the $3k range perhaps but not at 4.8k

cmboy....bought my first teak cabinet around your age. Good workmanship, nice grain. Still have it today and it cost me RM200 then. Like you i complained ...... Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_smile

Whatever it is lah.. teak cabinet aside.. price of old or collectible things are nearly always subject to some controversy. Nevertheless in this hifi4sale listing, its willing seller, willing buyer. That may not be the end, new owner may choose to spend on parts renewal and improvements. Of course there's always good deals around and nothing more to be spent, just plug and play.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Fail to see the controversy in a transaction between a willling buyer and seller, whether teak furniture or vintage hifi but think I understand what you are saying.

Controversy could arise in the view of those who cannot understand why anyone would pay such a price for a beat up old cabinet or a 40 year old amp or a Renoir with the availability of modern conveniences, the like of Ikea, Ipods and posters.

Bite
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Fail to see?.. its the PRICE in RM or whatever... just about most will not naturally agree to the asking price and will bargain down, isn't that a common phenomenon here in this land?. Of course I exclude many of those who're just willing to pay without question because their need to acquire it is above everything else, by hook or crook. Acquire first, ask questions later.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:57 pm

cmboy wrote:Hey antaklugom whoever you are. I think I've had enough of your comments which I think you're pushing rubbing it in or getting personal like as if I insulted your family members. You purposely quoted my nick quite a few times telling convincing everyone here I'm more or less an idiot here. I thought it more or less stop at your last posting, but you QUOTE MY NICK AGAIN! (short of another forumer here) to my surprise! I think you're really getting personal.
My comments in an open forum is not definitive and I personally don't think I've belittled nor suggested that everyone should stay away or don't buy any Sansui products at all. I've used words like "sometimes I think", or "perhaps or likely" which I'm entitled to think anything for myself, and you're nobody to tell me what I can think of any hifi product.
I think you're being arrogant and speaking very LCLY in rebuking some of my candid comments! Go to hell with you, as far as I'm concerned!

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_evil Hey cmboy, fork off you !!! Dont ever mention my Family member !!!
I never drag your Family member in huh ! YOU THINK THAT YOU HAVE A
" Four Star " Rating, you know everything ?
I did quote your nick because I want you to APOLOGISE !!! Remember, Like I said, I READ BRITISH WHAT HI FI Magazine for over 20
years now !!!
This is your quote " sometimes I think Sansui amps are fanciful with
plenty of Knobs and looks complicated which appeal to many THINKING ITS
STATE OF THE ARTS. perhaps this was one great marketting ploy back then.
WHY DONT YOU USE PROPER ENGLISH AS : PERHAPS THIS WAS ONE
GREAT MARKETING STRATEGY !!! IT would not hurt any Sansui Fans !!!
Now you are 29 yrs old, you were NOT EVEN BORN YET during those DAYS !!!
By starting the CURSING, shows that you are NOT A MAN OF PROFESSIONAL
MANNERS !!!
You want me to Shut Up, then tell the Moderator and Barred me from
this SITE.....SO THAT YOU ALONE CAN DO THE TALKING......
That happens to a Car web where the Moderator doesn't like a few experienced contributor and even barred them from the Forum (Its not me,
I am still an active member) and I AM CAREFUL WITH MY WORDS......
Do you realise, you are undermining people's INTELLIGENCE once
you mentioned " appeal to many THINKING ITS STATE OF THE ARTS ???
I DID NOT BUY MY SANSUI DURING THE 70'S......I bought it this
year because I know its Value, some model are already RARE !!!
You did mentioned you repaired an AU-555A in the past, eventhough
that is NOT what we are COLLECTING, you should have appreciate and
cherish the thought of it until today......
YOU KNOWLEDGE OF HI FI IS STILL SHALLOW !!! DONT TRY TO BOAST
HERE IN THIS FORUM !! You tell me off like that !!! who do you think you
are ??? I challenged vyou to get the moderator to Barred me if you think
you are SO clever with the " 4 star " tag huh !!!
You read in my last Forum, I have to be carefull with my words......

But then NOW, fork OFF YOU.....You started the Cursing first, not me !!
You are the one who mkake it personal........ Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_evil

Mr ryder, its not a typing error....AU 111 Selling for RM 4,800 at loyhifi

Last edited by antaklugom on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hard words in response to somebody starting the swearing)
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:11 pm

cmboy wrote:Hey antaklugom whoever you are. I think I've had enough of your comments which I think you're pushing rubbing it in or getting personal like as if I insulted your family members. You purposely quoted my nick quite a few times telling convincing everyone here I'm more or less an idiot here. I thought it more or less stop at your last posting, but you QUOTE MY NICK AGAIN! (short of another forumer here) to my surprise! I think you're really getting personal.
My comments in an open forum is not definitive and I personally don't think I've belittled nor suggested that everyone should stay away or don't buy any Sansui products at all. I've used words like "sometimes I think", or "perhaps or likely" which I'm entitled to think anything for myself, and you're nobody to tell me what I can think of any hifi product.
I think you're being arrogant and speaking very LCLY in rebuking some of my candid comments! Go to hell with you, as far as I'm concerned!

JUST UNFORTUNATE THAT MY CORRECT SPELLING OF THE FOUR LETTER
WORD FOR YOU IS AUTOMATICALLY CENSORED BY THE FORUM ENGINE...
Anyway, like you said to me....YOU cmboy, GO TO HELL !!! You are not a
professional Forummer !!!!
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:25 pm

OK.. I'll not loose sleep and pursue in a war of words with someone who behaves like some low life street gangster, spewing venom of all sorts in TWO continuous postings and even admitting to wanting to use foul language in this thread. He's taken this to a very personal level and even blame me for starting it.
Mr Mod KN Wong, this thread have become very ugly and I leave it to you to do as you see fit. I don't really care if you ban me or expel because of this. Life for me not just circled around this forum and waste of my precious time combatting these kind of specimens lurking around.

Last edited by cmboy on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Sorry, I retract my previous statement which was based on prices of Sansui models seen in the Echoloft, mostly hovering below RM1k. The AU111 is probably one of the more sought after model in the Sansui line. As always, the line "Willing seller willing buyer" will always hold true.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:11 pm

cmboy wrote:OK.. I'll not loose sleep and pursue in a war of words with someone who behaves like some low life street gangster, spewing venom of all sorts in TWO continuous postings and even admitting to wanting to use foul language in this thread. He's taken this to a very personal level and even blame me for starting it.
Mr Mod KN Wong, this thread have become very ugly and I leave it to you to do as you see fit. I don't really care if you ban me or expel because of this. Life for me not just circled around this forum and waste of my precious time combatting these kind of specimens lurking around.

Hey,
You started the cursing, not me....that show how lowly you are.....I am
not new here either, its just that I dont have the time to post blog.
Didn't you see my Wanted to Buy Item last few months ?
Go to other International Blog, (Car, Audio, Aircraft) then you can see how many posting I did and all are NON CURSING or NON " Telling Off " a fellow Forummer !!!
Go to Volksrider, and see my posting there too !!!

P/S: Thanks ryder, anyway, I never come across any AU-111 adver vertised
for SING$ 6000 plus (which is too overpriced ofcourse)
an AU-9500 Integrated Amp cost SING$700 X 2.4 = RM 1680 (before Tax)
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 pm

ryder wrote:Sorry, I retract my previous statement which was based on prices of Sansui models seen in the Echoloft, mostly hovering below RM1k. The AU111 is probably one of the more sought after model in the Sansui line. As always, the line "Willing seller willing buyer" will always hold true.

....Correction on my former blog.....I never came across an AU-111 advertised
in echoloft for as low as RM1 K. Not this year, The one I came across last month was advertised for SING$ 6000 plus (which is too much of overpriced)
Another one in ebay USA, by a Jakarta man for USD$ 1,500.
Even AU-9500 Integrated Amp sold for SING$700 X 2.4 = RM 1,680 (Before
Tax)
Thanks for your time,
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Forget it lah...I can't be bothered to check on you. Go ahead if you want to prove, rattle or rant you're right about all your claims.
Perhaps it timely and good that now other forumers here (maybe they laugh or clap hands or sympathise, I don't care) people can see how nasty, abusive and offensive you are whom you think crossed your path.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Ohhh Kayyyyy.... anyways...

Yes ... my Sansui definitely would need some new caps ...
Mebbe some cleaning of the toggle contacts & knobs also if at all possible.

Other than that, all transistors are working fine.

Anyway this Sansui is of great sentimental value to me becoz it is where i started the hifi journey, back in the late 80s (which was a hand-me-down and kept in pristine condition). Still got all the original manuals, the schematics, the big thick plastic glossy card (i think today this would be known as a quick-start-guide in computer terms).

Anyone else here also started their hifi journey on a Sansui ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by sonyman1 Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:00 pm

i had the best experience of sansui amplifier when one of my friends opened a used hifi shop in kl recently, i was never introduced into vintage audio only last month that i had the very first chance to listen to vintage,
before he opened his shop, he told me about vintage and he said, it is one thing that im missing if i were to be in this hifi world, cause all this while, i had the idea of price per performance factor, so higher price you pay you get better sound, by theory,
then i learn one thing about audio, matching, it all takes a bit of time into matching the correct equipment, it maybe 40 years old, but if matched well, it sounds great.
it maybe a small powered amp, but matched well with a proper speaker it produces sound that is different buy pleasant,

i had now opened my thoughts into vintage audio, and i do respect highly on sansui amps, and best of all, there was an uncle, selling jeans business in campbell complex kl, has a whole lot of collection of sansui amps, this is fantastic,

the thing with my group of vintage audio friends is they like bass, bass to them is getting the biggest woofer inch to drive, then the bass would be as soft as it can get, and it goes very far also,
i had the chance to listen to a setup, vintage audio ultralinear speakers with my old tong lee designed soundstage pre power amps, with a vintage cd player, and cheapo spk wire, it was all about matching, and it sound fantastic.
never knew vintage and big size woofers produce very nice sound, nothing dramatic like ching and chang there, but aaron nevile sounds wonderful, tracy chapman also sounds fantastic.

then he has a whole lot of sansui amps for me to listen, and i went and research about sansui, and found a lot, and it is something wonderful and respectable company, only now it is a long gone company, it is so sad that companies like this die and go away, future generation like us will only be alble to listen to vintage which is only a handful left, but i think owning a setup of vintage audio would be very exciting for me, especially it is cheaper than buying new equipments, so i could experience more of this kind, if i ever get it started,
yes yes, vintage speakers a boxy, not nice, too many drivers, and some are not working well, but bare in mind the those days there were something, today they are rare in the future you may never get to listen to anymore.

i have a set of audio research, they sound great, they are fantastic they produce high resolution sound, and they are not cheap.
but sansui, and vintage audio on the other hand , they are different, a whole new world to me, the sound is different, and i respect every thing about audio, regardless of their time,

so now i just wanna learn more and get into a vintage audio journey so that i can also share in this forum.

sonyman1
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 pm

@sonyman1 , Are you using a particular Sansui model now ?

Or u got a few in your collection ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sonyman1 Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:22 pm

hmm, i m not a sansui owner, but hope to be one soon, probably anytime soon, when i come across a model and setup that i like,
so far if i wanna listen to sansui, i just go to my friends shop in campbell complex to enjoy first.

but if i do get one, this will be my first vintage setup.

sonyman1
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:46 pm

Well, first step would be to see if u like the SS or the Tubey sound of a Sansui that would suit you better.... then can narrow down to a few of the famous models as mentioned by the other Sansui kakis.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_kff Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:35 am

sonyman1 wrote:hmm, i m not a sansui owner, but hope to be one soon, probably anytime soon, when i come across a model and setup that i like,

Actually i have tried the following equipment below. hope this will help you into sansui vintage amps.
Au-555A
Au-777D
Au-999
Au-9500
Au-8500
Au-7500
Sansui 9090
Au-666
Au-7700
Au-9900
AU-11000
Au-D907
AU-D907 limited

999 and 777D got warm sound but 777D is very good in vocal was very closed to that of tube amps ...and after compare the price..777D is much worth to buy

9500 and 7500...more powerful but warm had rich tube like low frequency with natural mid to hig sound ...less warm than 3-digit series...9500 must be best buy

11000 and 9900...both are musical but not strong feeling....even listen to disco sound....still very smooth...

9090...close to 9500 but seems a bit harder than 9500

D907....another feel lo.....very modern sound....close to morden stereo amp, but very powerful.

D907limited....the worst i think...worse than D907...not clear enough....only powerful...

So can say...after 9500 and 11000...the amp is not as good as before la...

So different people may like different model, depends on what kind of sound you like

Happy listening Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

alex_kff
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:52 am

I have a AU-101,a hand me down as well. Just got it dusted and tested. The volume control is croaking, it either needs cleaning or a change. Due to age of the set, am exploring the option of changing the "CAPS", "Wiring" and the croaking volume control.

That would include "CAPS" changes for my "NAD 3020" as well.

Could anyone point me to where I can get HiFi grade "CAPS" ?

Thank you

Cheers
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by sonyman1 Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:48 am

looks like sansui amp has many characters, depends on the music that you like, no wonder if you are a sansui, fan you probably own a couple of units, with different model and different sounds. well i just got to see, whats in it for me.

sonyman1
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Mugen foo,

Me, me!! My 1st ever hifi session was with a hybrid sansui amp, JVC big big speakers and JVC turntable!!! Drolling & salivating all over the place, liao!

Wingman,

maybe u can contact unker chew who stays near kelana jaya, he just 'contact cleaned' the volume pot of his sansui and cleaned the contacts of the relay units......listened last week.....very impressive...said i should come again after the super duper cleaning....

U may want to get some rubicon 12k microfarads capacitors to replace the aging ones......but 1st remove the cover to see what values are being used......i would think those days the jap engineers used very good grades like rubicons, nichicons or elnas, buatan jepun of course.......the values could be 18k uf for the bigger models and comes in 4s, or the 15k uf also in 4s, the lower models mayb 12k or 10k values but invariably will come in 4s or even more. Those brands i mentioned are very very difficult to get........rubicons probably u can get form Nichi near jln pasar......but only 10k and 12k values. I've used nichicon gold series b4 of value 15k and 12k in my subwoofers, I have depleted my own stock and are still looking for more. went to as far as penang/butterworth and melaka to get them, bought everything they have....;-p but still no enuf.

PM me if u want to meet up with unker chew for help. thxs for reading this long post.

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:15 pm

Hi Wingman,

If u are handy with the solder gun, it should be pretty easy for u.
unkers like me and unker chew, starting to have eye sight difficulties and hands not so steady oledi lor. So u younger guys should try and do whatever u can while u still have the hands on skill and the pair of steady hands.

It will make for a big difference after u have refurbish the amp completely!!! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_biggrin lots of opportunity will be open to u to explore. A visit to unker chew and u will find out the many possiblities u cannot imagine is possible.......unker chew uses multiple active subwoofers with his sansui amp!!!! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_biggrin no kidding!!!

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Good Day Uncle.....

Will take you up on the offer to visit Uncle Chew. Will PM you when I could make the visit.

Able to handle a soldering iron, as i just changed the NAD 3020 power cords to a better grade, did some interconnects for my setup. From varying lengths, different cables - microphone cables, interconnects cables, electrical cables. ( experimenting the audible output )

Have opened the cover, dusty and dusty. Will jot down the vlaues of the CAPS. Should the replacement CAPS be of same value or could it be on a higher value. ( cannot find the right value )

Will definetly check out "Nichi" for the capacitors. Worst case scenario will source it from overseas.

No worries, its my pleasure to read you posting.

You may have aged physically but you are wise, knowledgeable and willing to share.

Appreciated.

cheers
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:25 am

Thanks for those who started to show interest in Vintage Audio.
Many people who are new to the Sansui brand are confused with
the Almost Identical Model Nnmber : AU-101 and AU-111 !!!
- Sansui AU-101 is an Entry level Solid State Integrated Amp and this is the one which normally sells for RM 350 to RM 450.
- Sansui AU-111 is a TUBE AMP and ranked as one of the Word's best as rated by a US Audio Engineer / collector. Even now, the Original Tubes and Hashimoto Transformers can be purchased by special orders from Japan. Today, there is one in ebay with a starting Bid of USD$ 999
Here in Malaysia will normally be between RM 3500 to RM 5000 depend on the condition and whether the Original 6L6 GC Tubes has
been changed to other Brand. (sound will differ slightly)
Check out ebay USA also. There is an AU-a907 NXR (the a
stands for Alpha) starting Bid at USD$ 2200.

Mr Wingman, please contact Mr Edmund Jude (Audio Engineer) of Subang Jaya for information on Capacitors Brands, its microfarad value or close to it alternative when not available. He orders Original one from Abroad. His Hp is 012-2174777.
You can also surf Farnell Malaysa (google) as they are a leading distributor for electronic parts.
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sonyman1 Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:46 am

we all havent really talked about sansui leh, so those sansui owners, what do you pair your amp with ? i mean speakers, and cables. how does it sound like?

with uncles owning more a one unit of sansui, and more than half a dozen of vintage speakers, i think we all wanna know how you pair and what is good and what is bad.

sonyman1
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi wingman and others,

I certainly would like to let everyone know what i know b4 i go to the big hifi room in the sky or basement, whichever the case may be. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_lol `
But unfortunately, most of the knowledge are hands on related, hence just academic discussions sometimes can only do or get u that far! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_smile
practical experiences still have to accumulated gradually over a period of time. no substitute for this.

this is when we do visitations to friends' place to listen to their setups, visit hifi dealers' showroom and get ourselves to the hifi shows, that help us build up our 'data base' in our brain. And what of those aging unkers who are starting to be hard of hearing. this is when the data base comes into use, la, the sound heard will be compared with the data base to provide a near approximate sounding effect or perception to the actual sound heard irrespective of the hearing losses suffered. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_lol it's a hypothesis believed by many scientist but yet to be proven.

It's not unusual for the unkers to reminisce over the vintage amps and speakers, in this topic the sansui amps that betolded so much hearing experiences and sweet memories of those wonderful listening sessions gone by. Not surprised the sound of the sansui still reminds them of the sound they once heard when they were much much younger than. One day science will be able to explain this much clearer to us! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_smile

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi antaklugom....

Thanks for providing the contact details.

Yes, its an entry level model. Connected to a "cartridge" player and sansui record layer paired with original Sansui speakers. (huge boxes)

Playing John Denver record and Abba cartridge was music during my days visiting my granny.

Unfortunately the speakers were hijacked by termites. Seen the similar speakers at "Amcorp" mall with an absurd price tag.Still packs the punch.

Next project is to restore the AMP to its glory days.

Once again thanks to Antaklugom, Uncle Vic and the owner of this thread to re-kindle the desire.

cheers Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:12 pm

With Modern British Amp, I would prefer Mission, B & W or KEF Speakers (eventhough there are other Speaker, and More expensive, I never have the chance to Audition)
But with Sansui Amp, we normally read recommendation by US or Canadian Sansui Khakis to partner it with JBL (I presumed from the 80' and 90's especially with Horn Tweeter- I could not remember the Model Number)
JBL Audio grade speakers are quite common in echoloft buy / sell.
Over here in Malaysia, hard to find Audio Grade JBL (correct me if I am
wrong). Most JBL sold here are meant for Home Theatres Surround and also for Live Band performance.
I frequently went to an old Friend Shop's here where he partnered his Sansui with B & W 602 (The older model made in England) and sometime switching to KEF Speakers Bookshelf.( the one with a black plastic Tweeter Housing potruding at the top) The KEF could produce more detail.....especially the Highs.
We also tested it using Mission M34 Floorstanders and the Bass is Tight but lesser detail than the KEF. Ofcourse this will be of personal choice and preferences....
For AU-111 which is a TUBE Amp, definately a speaker of higher Sensitivity is recomended. I have listened to Wharfedale Diamond partnered with Tube Amp and the Vocal is Fantastic but the speaker is of lower Sensitivity and you have to Cranked up the Volume a bit more....
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:15 pm

is it easy to get caps replaced on sansui's vintage nowdays?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:51 pm

You may have a problem getting the spares locally, if it's 18k uf 71v or 15k uf 63/71v! But there is always e bay or farnell. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_lol or get someone who is in the business of refurbishing vintage amp, and pay for the professional service lor. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Mr Azri, I know of two Audio " expert " who has access or normally
import those nichicon (nichicon MUSE, nichicon fine gold), Elna,
or Rubycom and also other brands. If you really want to do replacement on those Capacitors, you can ring Mr Edmund Jude of Subang Jaya : 012-2174777. Also visit Farnell Malaysia website. Best thing is contact Mr Edmund Jude. I presumed he has all the Capacitor with the correct microfarad value. Remember, this Capacitor replacement is not only applicabe to Sansui alone but all the Brands of Solid State Amps which has reach over 30 years lifespan because Capacitors will Dry up internally after 30 years.
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:56 pm

The nichicon fine gold are exremely good!!!! Running in time maybe 100 hours or so, definitely less hours than the rubycon black gates!!!!

you will never know how good they are till u have them installed into your amps!!! Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:14 pm

can other brands like marantz, luxman also be refurbished by mr edmund?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:24 pm

Edmund Jude has 15 years experience in repairing Audio, PA ,
and anything Audio gadgets. I know of another Friend also in KL but since he want to be anonymous, you can PM me if you want to contact him.
Audio engineer or repairman who has vast experience in repairing
Amp does not repair one brand alone. They repair ALL Brands and they have stocks of Capacitors, Resistors and other parts needed.
Or if nil stock, they have the means and ways to import (Original or better alternative)
The other friend not mentioned even changed his AU-111 Original Tube using Audio Note....or something like that.
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Sansui A-80 amp any good?

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:50 am

Sansui A-80 is the latter production circa 80's. I have not listen to
one but if you can get a hand on the AU Series, the likes of AU-517,AU-717, AU-719, those Amps are good sounding especially with
Stringed Instument. Their High frequency is something to talk about
especially from AU-717.
The Much talked about AU-9500 (In the Internet),
the Low frequency is fantastic and sound dynamic (Tube like) but if you go for Stringed instrument, like classical music, go for AU-717.
Unfortunately AU-717 is very few inMalaysia. I have even put
up an Ad in echoloft (buy/sell) Singapore but still no response.
In ebay USA , these Amps are in abundance and it sells for Maximum
USD 350 (RM 1225) But the cost of Airfreight (DHL) will cost you
the same price of the Amp (even higher) and not counting Custom Tax.
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info antaklugom.
The A-80 was advertised at mudah.com, someone got it before I enquired.
Okay, will give a lookout for the AU series.. wasn't really interested in Sansui until recently.. dunno why.. Razz

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:17 pm

antaklukgom, if u are serious on haunting au 717, i can help u find one
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Sansui AU-717 Integrated Amplifier

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Hello Azri,
Sorry for the late response as I did not surf this Forum for the last 2
days....Too busy..... BTW, where are you located right Now ? If you are in Australia, It would not be economical becuase the Airfreight alone will almost
be as much as the price of the Amp itself !!!
I surf ebay Australia and found out that The AU series are selling like
" Hot Cakes " there !!! Actually, I won an ebay USA Bid for a very Mint condition
AU-717, but when I check with DHL the Freight from Los Angeles to Kuching
amount to RM 1700 when the Amp itself only cost me USD 305 (RM 1067.50)
so I cancelled the deal and are trying to find one Locally, in Singapore or
at China's Guangzhou " Flea Market " which is nearer.
Anyway, If you have one Locally or a friend here having one, your
assistance will be very much appreciated. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:43 am

it will be a almost a year hunting since ill be back to bolehland around september 2010. bare in mind its not that easy to find one selling in ebay. so the help will be offered during this period & will be brought back during that time.
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooltube Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:47 am

Antak,

I recall you said you have a SANSUI amp worth 10 grand. Or some vintage Sansui worth that today in your mind. What model is it btw?

Say is anyone still using a Sansui SR222 turntable? Read in the internet with some mod you can really turn magic with this thing.
Cooltube
Cooltube
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:12 pm

cooltube,
I did not say I have a Sansui worth 10 Grands. In the other Thread, I
mean I am having a Modern Amp worth 10 grands.
But if you want to know what Sansui Combo worth 10 Grands, it is the Pre and
Power combo as follows ; -
Sansui BA-5000 Power Amp = SGD 2200 (In Singapore)
Sansui CA-3000 Pre Amp = SGD 1900

Total = SGD 4100 X 2.47 (Exchange R)

=MYR 10,127 (exclude Custom)

In USA, these two unit normally sells (In Vintage Shop and not ebay) for USD 3500 x 3.5 = MYR 12,250 (Not counting Airfreight and Custom Tax)
FYI, these two are considered as the " Golden Marriage " combo.

For Turntable, I am not so well versed, you can ask alex__kff (member forummer here ) for his advice.
He is still in Dubai on Posting and I heard he want to bring back Vintage Sansui Speakers from USA through Dubai.
Please surf google; the best of sansui, and also sansui us.
Not only people do Mods on Turtable, Modern CD players also they do. They can made a Marantz CD63 to sound like CD63KI Signature !!! I have some friends in KLaudiodoctor who can do all these Mods.

The Modern Amp I mentioned is AVI (British Integrated Amp) which
normally sells in KL for over 10 Grands but you can get a Demo, open Box Set for 8 Grands. I bought mine from Singapore.
Incase you dont know where to get this open Box AVI in KL, pm me. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:51 pm

hmmm theres one ba-5000 for sale on ebay
this will be interesting to see it ends a week later..
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:39 am

ebay price is always way below the actual value.....unless they put a reserve
price on it. I always notice that this " Heavy weight " model sells very easily
on ebay and sometimes reached up to more than 20 Biddings.......with the final
successful one landed it at USD 2 K + Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:17 pm

to me thats the advantage.. price on demand
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:29 am

Have just checked on ebay USA this morning. The Sansui CA-3000 Pre Amplifier
price has reached USD $ 1005 with 2 Bidders at the moment and 2 Days + to go. Normally, Active Bidding will be on the Last Hour remaining........ Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kamen555 Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:58 am

Hi there,

I have an AU505 paired with Dali speakers and sourced with a Rega P3 and Phillips CD650. I really like this amp. I haven't had much experience with other amps except listening at other friends places (NAIM & Cambridge Audio). Got it for RM400. I haven't re-capped or anything so I dunno about the internals if there are leaks or whatnot. I do notice the balance is a little out. But usually a good warm-up helps it settle down.

The only gripe I have with it is the lack of inputs. I don't use the internal Phono since I have a seperate one that sounds better so all's I'm left with is the Mic & Aux. I feed the Turntable in the Aux and the CD player to the Tuner input which has a switch below the input knob. Don't know if this affects the sound for the CD player.

I've actually used the Mic function of the amp and it still works. This is cool and have used it to MC gatherings at my house hehehehe...No karaoke though.

People say Dali speakers need alot of power for them to sound good. Mebbe I should consider getting a better match for the Sansui as some forumers here have mentioned (JBL, Mission, etc.). I also wonder about synergy, thinking of Rega-nizing my setup with amp and speakers one day.

Make mine Sansui...heheheh... Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_cheers

kamen555
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Better to use the Phono input for Turntable, and AUX for CD. On some model
the Phono input can be selected between MC and MM.
I have never tried Dali Speakers and I assume you are refering to the
Bookshelf type......using lower sensitivity speakers wont help much in the sound
volume. I have tried the Mission M34 which has 90db sensitivity.
It is better to Recap (changing all Capacitors) for any Sansui Amp which is
over 30 years old. There are many experienced Audio Engineer / Technician
doing this in or around KL and Subang Jaya area. They use the original Nichicon,
and Elna capacitors. Losing sound intermittenly from one channel is due to volume contact oxidation. This can be rectified by cleaning all contact (if you
can hAve access to it). This is what they call " Deoxiding " or Deoxide with a
spray call De-oxit. This is almost similar to WD-40 or the Autusol HD 80 penetrant.
Having Vintage Amp doesn't necessarily partering it with Vintage Speakers.
For me, It is better partnered with the Modern speakers like Mission, B & W or
Kef etc..etc... But if you have a good Vintage Speakers like some mentioned in the Vintage Speakers Thread, then why not ? Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 2 Icon_cool
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next