Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

+44
sss333
arremie
Shamjohor
public holiday
hasnul
kenny81
ST-50
gloraglory
timotiusw
thegoodarcher
peijie
fizi
Rijang
drife
Tachikoma
edddddy21
ecoli123
arabungkus
CKHOO
ngheong
carz
jazzfunksoulmusic
Keith
skooi3
seanlee731107
kamen555
Cooltube
jazzy939
wingman
sonyman1
ryder
Bite
jcwlow
wabun
sanguine
lim
antaklugom
mugenfoo
hoyhoysum
cmboy
azri
uncle_vic
alex_kff
48 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

Post by azri Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:50 pm

antak, what say you on sansui speakers? are there any of those thats on wanted list?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread

Post by skooi3 Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:49 pm

[quotehello,skooi3,

good to hear the feed back from you. can you introduce me to your fr shop so i can repair mine? really appreciate your help.

thanks][/quote]
i give u the tel no. and u call him ok?
skooi3
skooi3
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ngheong Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm

skooi3 wrote:[quotehello,skooi3,

good to hear the feed back from you. can you introduce me to your fr shop so i can repair mine? really appreciate your help.

thanks]
i give u the tel no. and u call him ok?[/quote]

Dear Skooi,

ok. Can you PM me the tel. no?

thank

ngheong

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:32 pm

azri wrote:antak, what say you on sansui speakers? are there any of those thats on wanted list?

Azri,
No, I am for Sansui Amplifier Only (Solid State or Tube). The Amps are best paired with JBL Horn type or The KLIPSCH Horn Type also.
But there are Sansui Speaker model that is really outstanding......I think
the SP3000. One member here brought it in from Overseas for RM 4 K.....recently.
They are also good with Modern Speaker...
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by skooi3 Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:41 am

ngheong wrote:
skooi3 wrote:[quotehello,skooi3,

thanks]
i give u the tel no. and u call him ok?

Dear Skooi,

ok. Can you PM me the tel. no?

thank[/quote]

0125825725 mahasir, u just tell tell him ooi recemmended.
skooi3
skooi3
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 Empty WOW!

Post by Keith Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi Antakugom,

I have been enjoying the repaired AU-7700 amp for over a month now. It sounds as good or better than it did 35 years ago (or maybe I've lost some hearing!). They replaced/upgraded many components, so it is probably better than new. I can honestly say that it has improved the quality of my life, as I had not been listening to music often over the past few years.
The thing about this repair shop: they never over-promised to win my business. That's exactly why I wanted them to repair my amp! They delivered exactly what they said they would--actually more!

Thanks for your support!

Keith

Keith

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post by kamen555 Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:01 am

Hey there,

I just purchased a Sansui AU-217 recently and wanted to get feedback about this model. I'm not sure whether it's 30 Watts or 40 Watts. The condition is pretty mint with knobs and casing looking very nice and working well. It replaced my good-ol AU505 which was 25 Watts. The AU217 is giving me more bass and body to the music.

It also has a subsonic-phono input. Does anybody know what that is for?

It's realy-really heavy and built like a tank. I'm enjoying the music at the moment but will have to send this baby for a check-up soon...

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 4532776421_f9ec181d30

kamen555
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by CKHOO Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi,

Any good Sansui model for LP? I am using BBC Roger LS5/9 speaker and Throens TT.

CKHOO
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by arabungkus Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Dont worry bro, it Sansui has very good phono. I have been using AU 555 and it sounds very tubey with punchy bass. As for now, it is very difficult to suggest which one to recommend as it is rare to get. if you can find au 555, au777. au 217- 517. au717 au 719. au 919........go and grab these. they are built like a tank. good luck.

arabungkus

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by skooi3 Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:14 am

[quote="CKHOO"]Hi,

Any good Sansui model for LP? I am using BBC Roger LS5/9 speaker and Throens TT.[/quote

sansui au555a and au-70 is very match with with lp. may i ask how much u buy this rogers ls5/9 speaker?

Last edited by skooi3 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : space)
skooi3
skooi3
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:49 am

does rm1.5k is a reasonable price for an AU-D11? how is the maintenance on this one, is it hard to find/replace parts on this amp? pls advice
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by skooi3 Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:12 am

azri,
the sansui vintage replace part is very easy to find. don worry.
skooi3
skooi3
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ecoli123 Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:09 am

In the early seventies, my dream set was the one that my uncle owned: Sansui AU-999 driving a monstrous DIY 15" Jensen co-axial speakers with a size like a pair of mini fridge. Yes, Akai reel to reel too. The AU-999 is a real work horse....
ecoli123
ecoli123
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:39 am

I found myself an old document of Sansui equipment (full range) price list dated July 1980 from Wo Kee Hong. The AU-919 was priced at RM4,995 LIST price.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:42 am

well the sansui.us website said, AU-D11 is one of the best in the 80's & so its twin brother AU-D11ii. both rated 120/130w per channel. any 'otai' using this amp?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_kff Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:42 pm

cmboy wrote:I found myself an old document of Sansui equipment (full range) price list dated July 1980 from Wo Kee Hong. The AU-919 was priced at RM4,995 LIST price.

CMBOY,
you got the price for AU-9500, AU-7500, AU-999 and AU-777d...

alex_kff
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:55 pm

alex_kff wrote:
CMBOY,
you got the price for AU-9500, AU-7500, AU-999 and AU-777d...

Sorry friend, not listed.

AU-519/719/819/919, A-40, A-60, A-80, AU-20000, AUX-1 are in the list. 1980 range I assume.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Sansui AU111

Post by edddddy21 Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:15 am

Dear all,

I've been looking for a Sansui AU111 for quite sometime now but haven't been
very successful. It's either too expensive or condition is poor due to age.
Anyway, lately I've been thinking of reconstructing a replica based on the
actual schematics found in the web.

Just curious if there is anyone out there who share this same idea, already built one or
knows someone who's got the skills and time to work on such project.

Thanks for sharing.

Eddy
012 217 5825
edddddy21
edddddy21
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Tachikoma Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:46 am

The key to these amps has always been the output transformers, so you'll need to source those first if you want to clone it properly.

Tachikoma

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by edddddy21 Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:55 pm

That's what I figured too.I think would be harder to find the transformer by itself. I've also noticed that some units have the transformer labeled AU 111 but some do not. Could this mean that the unit has got its transformer changed along the way?
edddddy21
edddddy21
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by drife Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:09 pm

try googling for Hashimoto or "the sound of hashimoto". agree that part / big part of the sonic signature's from the trannies.

i think we could still order new ones from sansui ex-engineers. also google Ken Audio. the legacy lives on... Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 Icon_twisted

drife
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 2068
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Character sheet
Source(s): USJ
Amplification: Subang Jaya
Speakers: Selangor

http://drifeaudio.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edddddy21 Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Looks like it's not an easy journey to clone this legend. Might be better to wait till the right one comes along.

To all,
Thanks for sharing your views.
edddddy21
edddddy21
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:43 pm

edddddy21 wrote:Looks like it's not an easy journey to clone this legend. Might be better to wait till the right one comes along.
To all,
Thanks for sharing your views.

Your conclusion is quite spot on unless you do a viability study on acquiring all the right parts, chassis and expertise to ensure it'll be a great job and result. In short, I think the AU111 isn't exactly a casual DIY'er's dream project. Its like building a medium bungalow from scratch and nothing in hand. I could even cringe that the cost of all the suitable parts (or most preferable parts) may be prohibitive. Hashimoto items are very expensive, even more when shipped here. I keep dreaming I'd own his MC Step up one day, unless someone can donate a few thousand bucks just for a pair of little transformers. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 Icon_twisted
Can I suggest you try an easier project based on vintage Leak, Mullard, Williamson or some other simpler and less fussy tube circuitry. These amplifiers are less complicated and many DIY'ers have built these before from scratch. Yes, output transformers are often assumed "to be everything" but I really don't think its always so. Its so many other aspects and amp building fundamentals that contribute to an outstanding result or give the original a run for the money. If your understanding of tube circuitry is good to excellent, you'd find it easier to choose THE MOST SUITABLE aftermarket and boutique parts to build the amp. Lastly "VOICE THE AMP" by tweaking the circuitry for best and flattest frequency response. I've come across people who use EXACTLY or near identical parts often matched to another brand of output transformers in an amplifier build, then complain or wonder why the sound doesn't resemble the original or far from it. Thats because they've either not much idea of tube circuitry or how to voice the amp. Building an amplifier is also a fine art backed by prior knowledge and experience, unlike like some meccano or just putting together a handful of audiophile parts. In building any DIY amp, the end result achievable must be very low noise floor, negligible or zero humming, void of any electrical noise, flattest frequency possible in the audible band, and produce correct power output wattage before clipping or distortion. Failing any of these criteria is a failed amplifer build.
Ok..good luck on finding your AU-111 soon.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by drife Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:06 am

eddy, if you're building from scratch, you might wanna check out the 6c33 and 211 tube circuitry. they seem to be the craze these days. they might also burn many holes in the pocket too Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 Icon_biggrin

drife

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:25 am

There's a unit at Campbell, Harry of Classic Audio just brought one from HK. Auditioned it last week, his number is 017-2071500.

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by edddddy21 Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Yes, I've checked out that particular unit a few weeks back. The seller is a nice guy. The condition looks alright but my expectation was higher than I thought. Knowing that its of age means that more $$ will be needed to bring it back to live. Still, not 100% guaranteed because parts may not be available now. That's why I've considered building a new one from scratch (using better components). Sadly, looks like there are many areas to consider before even starting off this idea. Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 Icon_cry
edddddy21
edddddy21
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:54 pm

edddddy21,
Since you've auditioned that particular unit, is that the typical sound of AU-111? That actually is the first time I listened to it after seeing all the rave about it on the internet. My impression apart from one channel being weaker than other is the lack 3-dimensionality of the sound. Maybe it was partnered to the wrong speaker, I wanted to listen thru the magneplanar 1.5 that was in the shop. although I did recall somewhere in this forum somebody making a remark that lack of image depth is typical of Sansui vintage amps.
Apperciate yr comments. Thxs

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by edddddy21 Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Dear Rijang,

I share the same views about that unit but I'm sure it could be fixed up to sound great!

Well, I'm no expert about this model but I know it sounded pretty good in my first encounter. Back then, the unit was hooked up with a JBL L200 and I would say this combination produced good body to the music. The details were amazing (considering the circuits are pretty old) and it so easily brings you deep into the music. That's something I really enjoy in any setup. Sure, you can also get this from any other good systems but how may out there has a Sansui AU111?

Anyway, I'm sure you would be the best judge when I get my hands on one. PM me you contact. I would be glad to share this experience with others.

Cheers!!
edddddy21
edddddy21
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:23 pm

azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by drife Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:34 pm

fulamak. toroidal. mcm vintage honda dgn turbo. oklah aku bli buat power amp utk tube pre aku Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 Icon_rabbit

drife

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:08 am

hahahah.. go for it.. very rare!!
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:24 pm

IMHO it is best to find an old unit and restore it. The transformers last forever if it is not burnt, all the others can change. A lot of people have high expectation on the unit coz of good review in US. Bear in mind it is cheap in US not here....Most of them after buying dissapointed largely because of condition of unit....Buying is one thing, high dough involved and get them back to their specification another large dough involved. If money spend on new valve amp sound so much much.....much.....much....better....After spending so much don't like the sound of it,To resell another headache, new buyer unwilling to pay for the major overhaul work done, they willing to pay market value. Same value you paid earlier or maybe less....

Anyway it partner well with JBL coz the Sansui designer themselves uses JBL speaker. Back then they produce not their own speaker but rather sell JBL in Japan.
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ecoli123 Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:42 am

This is from the 70s.

Sansui vintage amplifiers - discussion thread - Page 4 Sansui11
ecoli123
ecoli123
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:15 pm

just saw 1 unit of AU 4400 selling at flee market in penang at RM280...2 uncle try to bargain for it...
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by peijie Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi All, Someone offer me Sansui AU-X1 integrated amp at rm2k+, is it worth to buy?

peijie
Con-Artist. BEWARE!
Con-Artist. BEWARE!

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:43 pm

thats one hack of a vintage unit.. 160w/ch.. but more than rm2k its like a bit too much.. wait for others to advice
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kamen555 Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi there,

As some may know I purchased a Au-317 earlier this year. I was wondering about shops and places that can service it. Im thinking of re-capping (as many have advised) and fixing the phono which has recently went kaput (the left channel emits only some garbled signal).

What would it cost me to do these 2 fixes does anyone know? Is there a reputable place I can go to?

Thanks guys...

kamen555
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi kamen555,
Nice to know that you are owning a Sansui too. I also have the AU-417 which I also like the sound but I am also thinking of Recapping it using the original Nichicon and ELNA Capacitor (I know where to get that parts in Singapore). I am also thinking of Recapping my AU-9500 to obtain its factory Specs like during its glory days.
For your case, many explaination are given by Sansui Fans
worldwide (as Sansui Solid state Amp are prone to its Left Channel " sickness " but dont worry, it can be rectified professionally).
Once Recapping is done, you can be assured that it will last you for
the next 20 Years or even more !!! But be warned.....Dont ever use un-original parts (Counterfeit or fake one) especially the Capacitor. It can alter the sound.
I know one fellow advertising his service for the Repair of Amp in Subang Jaya. I will give his number to you later. Rolling Eyes

Please call or sms me at: 012-8575995

antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:47 am

Keith wrote:Hi Antakugom,

I have been enjoying the repaired AU-7700 amp for over a month now. It sounds as good or better than it did 35 years ago (or maybe I've lost some hearing!). They replaced/upgraded many components, so it is probably better than new. I can honestly say that it has improved the quality of my life, as I had not been listening to music often over the past few years.
The thing about this repair shop: they never over-promised to win my business. That's exactly why I wanted them to repair my amp! They delivered exactly what they said they would--actually more!

Thanks for your support!

Keith

Hello Keith,
Its been many months since I last visited this site. Sorry for the
late response to your Post. But I am happy to know that your Sansui AU-7700 has
been successfully repaired and performing like it was (or even better) 30+ years
ago. BTW, what brand of Capacitor did your Technician use ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thank and good day,
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kamen555 Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:54 am

antaklugom wrote:Hi kamen555,
I know one fellow advertising his service for the Repair of Amp in Subang Jaya. I will give his number to you later. Rolling Eyes

Please call or sms me at: 012-8575995

Thanks for the info antaklugom,

I've found one person who may be able to help me with the re-capping exercise, but he's quite busy so have to wait until he's free.

The AU417 good ah? It's more powerful than the one I have. I really like the sound of this amp even though the power is quite low for my Dali speakers. Still very good clear bass. I think they are very good if you live in an apartment with a small listening room, just enough power for listening... The built-in phono was quite good but I've hooked my turntable to a Rega mini-fono and then to the Aux, I think the mini-fono sounds a bit better (their both very basic phono stages anyway so I can't expect too much I guess). I've got it hooked up to a turntable, tuner, and cassette player which I sometimes switch with a CD player. All are sounding very good except for the phono.

And you're right, before this one I had a Sansui AU505 and it also had a problem with its left channel. Another thing that is difficult is the speaker connection, it would be better if they have banana plug connectors...lagi senang la I think...but vintage gear memang susah sikit...

Thanks again man. Rolling Eyes

kamen555
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:37 pm

Any Amps using the cheaper Clip Type of Speaker connector can be
replaced with the Banana Plug type connector.
As in the Sansui Amp case, what you need to do is to remove the
Top cover and also remove the Rear Panel (not completely). Buy some
good banana Plug (gold plated is better) and and fabricate an aluminium
rectangular plate with all the 4 holes drilled to accept the Banana Plug.
This particular Aluminium plate will be attached from inside the Amp rear
by using small Screw and Nut. Remove the Cheap Clip Type connector (which is a " One piece " plastic .Solder the Amp speaker wires to the New
Banana Plugs after you have slotted it into the Fabricated Aluminium plate and the Nut tightened. Be sure that the Aluminium plate does not touch any Live wire inside - actually it should be far distance apart. I prefer to replace the Speaker A only. If anyone Interested on this DIY Speaker Connector replacement, You can email me on antaklugom@yahoo.com so that I can send you the Photos on How it is done. Very Happy
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kamen555 Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:44 am

antaklugom wrote:Any Amps using the cheaper Clip Type of Speaker connector can be
replaced with the Banana Plug type connector.
As in the Sansui Amp case, what you need to do is to remove the
Top cover and also remove the Rear Panel (not completely). Buy some
good banana Plug (gold plated is better) and and fabricate an aluminium
rectangular plate with all the 4 holes drilled to accept the Banana Plug.
This particular Aluminium plate will be attached from inside the Amp rear
by using small Screw and Nut. Remove the Cheap Clip Type connector (which is a " One piece " plastic .Solder the Amp speaker wires to the New
Banana Plugs after you have slotted it into the Fabricated Aluminium plate and the Nut tightened. Be sure that the Aluminium plate does not touch any Live wire inside - actually it should be far distance apart. I prefer to replace the Speaker A only. If anyone Interested on this DIY Speaker Connector replacement, You can email me on antaklugom@yahoo.com so that I can send you the Photos on How it is done. Very Happy

Wow,

That's kind of complicated...

kamen555
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:37 am

Not that complicated Bro...some knowledge on soldering is essential. But if you dont know how to solder, then get a friend who know to do it.
Yea....forgot to add, If you use Aluminium Rectangular plate then PLASTIC washer
or Shim must be inserted between the Banana Plug and the plate on both outer and Inner as the Amp Chassis is a Negative (-). The drilling of Holes (or punch) can be left to Machine shop person to do.
Actually it is easier than changing a pair of RCA (male) on AUX, CD,
or PHONO as these RCA have many " Legs " soldered to the IC.
Speaker Terminals are easier to change as the Coloured wires inside are soldered
direct to the Terminal ( in this case the Banana Plug )
Benefit : Good electrical signal Transfer and Oxidation Free in years to come and not to mention the freedom to switch Speakers Pairs in just a minute or two.
Very Happy Laughing Cool
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:54 am

is au 9500 considered more superior than au999??
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:55 pm

The AU-999 is the Top Model of the 3 Digit series ie: AU-222, AU-333, AU-666, AU-777, AU-888 and AU-999. The AU-999 was manufactured from
1967 to 1970 and having 50 Watts RMS with 0.4 % THD at 8 Ohms.
AU-9500 was manufactured circa 1973 and subsequently won Multiple
JAPAN HIFI Awards in 1974. It was SANSUI's Flagship Integrated Amplifier when their Chief Engineer Kosaku Kikuchi retired in 1974, and he said this " Let the product speak for themselves ".
The AU-9500 is rated at 75 Watts RMS ( continous ) with less than 0.1 % THD. Having known the Year of manufacture, I would say AU-999 is already a CLASSIC (vintage) meaning it is already RARE ! And it is !!! very, very few was being put up for auction in ebay these few years....
The AU-9500 is also already a Classic (Vintage) and still some are
advertised in ebay whose price is quite reasonable. But I saw one today
advertised in ebay USA for USD 1,295 by one seller based in Canada.
If you want Awesome Power (especially Lower frequency) , then go for AU-9500. But remember that all 30 + years of Solid state Amp needs to
change the Capacitors (Recapping) as it degrade with time. That is why many people who bought Amp that was much hyped about like AU-9500 were somtimes dissappointed by the sound. The reason is some Capacitor and Transistor already degrade. Nowadays, Capacitors are of very high Audio grade like the ELNA Cerafine and SILMIC, Nichicon Fine Gold and Nichicon MUSE.
So when buying those Amps irrespective of Model number, get a good
Technician or Electrical Engineer to TEST every Capacitor, Transistor and
Resistor and REPLACED where necessary or better still Replace ALL.
But although, AU-999 IS ONLY 50 Watts RMS, Power does not count
sometimes. It is our Ears which is the BEST Testing " Instrument "
So, I would say, this : For Classic Vintage value (Rare), I will go for AU-999.....
And for Vintage value and AWESOME CLEAN POWER, (also our ears cannot differetiate 0.1 and 0.4 % THD ofcourse) I would go for AU-9500 and I wouldn't mind spending extra to get those ELNA and Nichicon Capacitors replaced with the New High quality Audio Grade ELNA SILMIC or CERAFINE or Nichicon Fine Gold or Nichicon MUSE. (See am8.com Japanese Web for those Repair examples and photos)
If I can, then I WILL GO FOR BOTH AMPS without any further thought.....
because both Amp are from Series that are having Tube Amp like sound......

Very Happy Very Happy
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:10 am

hi sansui fan..

Any info to share about sansui 7070 or 7000 model...

tq
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva

Back to top Go down

Post by thegoodarcher Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:41 am

Last edited by thegoodarcher on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

thegoodarcher
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi, fizi and thegoodarcher, Regarding specific model description and Technical Specification, please surf google and type in : the best of sansui,
click - amplifier....and there you will see almost all model manufactured from
1962 up ward including the Fabled AU-111 Tube AMP.
thegoodarcher, all the two Amps you mention are all worth keeping.
First of all, its better to Download the models PDF repair manual and
Shematic from the webs. Anybody who can read the Shematic (Circuit Diagram) can do Recapping of the Capacitors. It would be much better if that Technician has a Digital meter to Test the Capacitor, Resistors and
Transistor. However, if just to replace Capacitors, anybody who can solder
can do the Job. Capacitors Value (purpose) are labelled in Microfarad followed by Volt. IE : The Biggest Capacitor on One LEFT Channel on the Power Amp Section of an AU-517 is 470 microfarad - 63 Volts (ofcourse
the microfarad and Volt indicated in the Capacitor itselt is all in symbol and
shortform). Two of these Same value Capacitors in each LEFT and Two on the RIGHT Channel. there are also many smaller one.
Take note that the POWER CAPACITOR (normally BLACK COLOUR)
Sometimes it is Nichicon, NKL or NIPPON Chemi-con, these normally does
not require to be replace unless you see it is already BULGING out.......
Its not the replacement job that is hard, but the availability of the Capacitor here in Malaysia. ELNA has factory in Penang, Singapore and Thailand. But the easiest way is to get from Singapore or Farnell, Malaysia.
If you are too specific about the Technician, kindly call our fellow member
Nigel Chua who has send his Sansui AU-1111Vintage MOS to one, MR OH,
somewhere in PJ: Nigel hp is: 016-3377728.
Anyway, just connect your new found Vintage Amp and connect it to
the main, Fire it up and see whether it is still operating. Some Sansui Amp
are prone to Left Channel Sound Degradation up to 50 % but can be rectified. After you Fire it up and everything sound OK, then its up to you
whether you want to do Recapping or not. Very Happy Very Happy Cool
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Mr Antak....tq very much for all the details...1 of my friend wanna to sell it at Rm900...i dont know it is worth o not to buy it.

I already goog to c the spec..just wanna get more info from any sansui sifu here in term of sound quality if anybody xprience the sound b4...

thanks again
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:02 am

Fizi, Sansui 7070 is a Receiver meaning an Amplifier with built-in Tuner.
Very few are imported here. However, in the US or Canada, it is still selling at quite high price (USD 550) but then again, it has been Refurbished.
If you find that the sound is OK, and The Faceplate and the Glass
window of the Tuner is still good, the Knobs is still original then go for it.
It is rated at 60 watts RMS at 8 Ohm which should be powerful enough to
make your neighbour Banging at your door.....heh...heh...heh....
But of course, willing seller, and willing buyer......For myself, I prefer\
separates ie : AU-517 partner with TU-517, AU-717 partner with TU-717
or AU-719 Partner with TU-719 etc, etc......However, this is personal
preferences.....Some people like to collect Receiver too.
Try to seach google and get more info before buying. The internal
parts like Capacitor or Transistor are not a problem as nowadays, many
branded High Audio Grade Capacitor are sold in Singapore. Cool
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next