Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Speaker to match with SET amplifier

+31
phsf98
htkaki
kkthen
gold lion kt88
bimmerman
123_rocketman
royroy
tycham
uncle_vic
dixchen
WongKN
sswong3374
zulkifar
noodle88
rsbn589
jcwlow
7810sam
drskumar
hohsc
azri
sting
car o scope
Wan Azami Hamzah
cheelun
CH
Cooltube
mugenfoo
wabun
hasnul
tubejunkie
Lamkochai
35 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaker to match with SET amplifier

Post by car o scope Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:18 am

jcwlow wrote:

Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Lol but why not let vintage retain its coloured and unresolved charm while letting the "new" do the butt-kicking duties? Surely co-existence is vital to audiophile "choice". Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Suspect

Yes. They are different kind of things.
Which is why I still could not understand the motive behind the initiated challenge. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_smile
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaker to match with SET amplifier

Post by wabun Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:04 pm

I am pretty sure someone here will invite you to Ipoh very soon. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_razz
haha..rite..come to ipoh. makan tauge chicken listen vintage stuff.
lets Mugenfoo envy Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_rr

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by rsbn589 Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:44 pm

Guys, please calm down Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_smile

Dear Wabun,

As you like vintage, you may drive about 30 minutes north to KK to date your JumpPan with the vintage pre. At the same time, you will have the chance to listen to LS3/5A. PM me if you are interested.

Dear Mugenfoo,

Vintage gears may not be your (or most people) cup of tea. However, a working condition to spec vintage tube amp and speakers can sound very transparent, detail with pace and sufficient bass. Using car and microprocessor as analogy for audio may not be appropriate.

I wonder why worry about Tsai Chin if the system is good?

Just MHO.

Sincerely.

rsbn589
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

rsbn589,

I would like to learn a thing or two from you.
When you have free time?
Teh tarik on me.. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_wink
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:51 pm

wabun wrote:
I am pretty sure someone here will invite you to Ipoh very soon. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_razz
haha..rite..come to ipoh. makan tauge chicken listen vintage stuff.
lets Mugenfoo envy Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_rr

Why should i envy any of your old junk against anything.

Its you who is stuck in history and not open minded to accept the present day or even look to the future.

There is a term for people like you. They're called "Dinosaurs".

Congratulations to you. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_geek

Thankfully you do not represent the majority of humanity. Otherwise the human race is certainly doomed to extinction just like the dinosaurs.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:04 pm

rsbn589 wrote:
Dear Mugenfoo,

Vintage gears may not be your (or most people) cup of tea. However, a working condition to spec vintage tube amp and speakers can sound very transparent, detail with pace and sufficient bass. Using car and microprocessor as analogy for audio may not be appropriate.

Just MHO.

Sincerely.

Let me clarify, i have nothing against vintage stuff. I also have 60's vintage stuff that is older than most of the forummers here. It is mr. Dinosaur here that cannot accept the advancement of audio technologies over the years and would rather stick to his half-baked antiquated ideas of what sounds good to his misguided understanding of the art of faithful and accurate audio reproduction.

Perhaps its due to his lack of high-end exposure to truly awe-inspiring systems that he takes on such a stubbornly pitiful stance in defending his hodge-podge kludge of antiquated audio machinery and homemade hackjobs.

Botom line again: Hi-fi equipment are MANUFACTURED PRODUCTS. Not a piece of Van Gogh or Rembrandt that appreciates over time; either in value or performance.

As with any manufactured product, things will always get better in terms of cost/performance ratio and hence in terms of ultimate bar-raising performance.

Cars or CPUs are but similar analogies. Granted the correlation may not be a factor of 1.0, but definitely a positive 0.X correlation. Never will it be a negative correlation factor unlike a a piece of Van Gogh or Rembrandt.

This point, mr. Dinosaur has a hard time accepting. But its ok, it's not my intent to "enlighten" him. I'd rather have fun ripping on him instead.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by 7810sam Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:24 pm

mugenfoo wrote:
7810sam wrote:To all Horn speakers sifu, you must come across many vintage horn speakers. I bought a klipsch cornwall 1979 recently bcos I like horn driven for mid and high. Since I can't lug this speaker around for audition due to the size, I decided to buy TRI amp TRV-A300se. After setup, the mid is very warm and not much of sound from the tweeter. Bass guitar/cello very low. Overall the resolution are not there. Any idea what should I do.
Read some forum on klipsch community, they recommend improved
wooden trachorn for mid with same drive and also crossover from ALK engineering.

Lets try and understand your question further...

So you were expecting the Klipsch to have good resolution driven from a 8Watter TRV-800se amp ?

Yes. Is there anything wrong with that.
Do you have any ideas how to improve it but don't ask me to change the speakers cos I love it.
Will be much appreciate if you could help out.
IMho, that the most simple plain english that I could write to understand.

7810sam
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by rsbn589 Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:35 pm

car o scope wrote:rsbn589,

I would like to learn a thing or two from you.
When you have free time?
Teh tarik on me.. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_wink

Pls don't say that. We are here to make friends, sharing and learning together. Will PM you.

Regards.

rsbn589
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:52 pm

rsbn589 wrote:

Pls don't say that. We are here to make friends, sharing and learning together. Will PM you.

Regards.

Good. This Saturday ok?
Oh ya.. any nice music store in Seremban?
oops.. sorry out of topic.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:45 pm

7810sam wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:
7810sam wrote:To all Horn speakers sifu, you must come across many vintage horn speakers. I bought a klipsch cornwall 1979 recently bcos I like horn driven for mid and high. Since I can't lug this speaker around for audition due to the size, I decided to buy TRI amp TRV-A300se. After setup, the mid is very warm and not much of sound from the tweeter. Bass guitar/cello very low. Overall the resolution are not there. Any idea what should I do.
wooden trachorn for mid with same drive and also crossover from ALK engineering.

So you were expecting the Klipsch to have good resolution driven from a 8Watter TRV-800se amp ?

Do you have any ideas how to improve it but don't ask me to change the speakers cos I love it.

OK, since you're asking for some opinions:
it doesn't hurt you to try a solid state amp on your beloved horn speakers. Amplification is all exactly what the name states. Go try a "more powerful" amp like a simple Audiolab or even a Pioneer A-400 or if you wanna stick closer to home and want warm sounding stuff, a Quad pre/power combo (if u can find one or got a friend to loan you one for half-a-day).

Some people think that horns are overly efficient and hence tend to stinge on amp power.

Also why some of people have the mis-conception that horn speakers are overly bright by nature, which sometimes isn't the case because this is the same symptom when the partnering amp cannot produce decent power to drive the speakers.

Besides, as long as you turn the volume knob to comfortable listening levels, there is no risk of damage to the speakers whatsoever.

7810sam, where are you located at ? KL/PJ ? Seremban ? Ipoh? Penang ?

Spoiler:
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:50 am

Dear Wabun,

As you like vintage, you may drive about 30 minutes north to KK to date your JumpPan with the vintage pre. At the same time, you will have the chance to listen to LS3/5A. PM me if you are interested.

Hey, good woh, where izit ? actually you miss the chance listen to my JBL during your Ipoh visit, believe it or not, the transparency beat the Altec 605 which you listen that day, and I am just using my DIY 100W solid state A/B power amp Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_biggrin looking forward for your visit again...lets play the Tsai Chin. mine system won't give 50 cents vocal size, but it is not Dinosaur as well.. haha

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:52 am

Also why some of people have the mis-conception that horn speakers are overly bright by nature, which sometimes isn't the case because this is the same symptom when the partnering amp cannot produce decent power to drive the speakers.

tak penah belajar, horn speaker need powerfull amp to drive.

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:59 am

wabun wrote:

tak penah belajar, horn speaker need powerfull amp to drive.

Itulah, anything more than 3watts to mr. Dinosaur is DAMN POWERFUL already.

Just like if upgrading from Perodua Kancil to Proton Waja..... DAMN BIG IMPROVEMENT WOH !! But comparing even to a modest but very respectable E36 M3, tsk tsk tsk....

And obviously mr. Dinosaur here probably has never seen nor heard Odeon "horn" speakers. It's for the better anyways, lest he tries to drive it with some 3Watter SET homemade Jamban amp.

Last edited by mugenfoo on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Wabun I susport u, only a good hi sensitive speaker match with a single ended amp can produce something miricle that u all cannot experance in hi power n hi distortion system
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:51 pm

noodle88 wrote:Wabun I susport u, only a good hi sensitive speaker match with a single ended amp can produce something miricle that u all cannot experance in hi power n hi distortion system

Noodle88, do u actually have any solid concrete proof that hi power = hi distortion ?

Ever paused to consider that maybe its your defective auditory acumen (or worse yet, that organic lump in between) that is "hi distortion" instead.

Don't tell me you're just pulling this crap out of your a$$, just like mr. Dinosaur who also happens to claim that big powerful amps are not reliable in Malaysian weather.

So which "hi power" system have you heard that also has "hi distortion" ?
List them down if u have the guts to do so.

Or if the extent of your sonic exposure of "hi power" systems are only those honky-tonk machines sold at the shops along Jln Pasar, then it's alright... nobody will blame you otherwise.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooltube Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Foooh!!!! Great shootout here I see. Oh Prof MF in the center drifting in a bowl of noodle soup.
Cooltube
Cooltube
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:03 pm

What can i say ... i just love Fried Noodles. Especially of the newbie variety!

Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Lol
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooltube Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:11 pm

Yeah I noticed. But you can sprinkle your expert recipes on newbie soups by not being too ham-fisted with the gas knob buddy.
Cooltube
Cooltube
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Cooltube wrote:Yeah I noticed. But you can sprinkle your expert recipes on newbie soups by not being too ham-fisted with the gas knob buddy.

I like your analogies. And may i presume you're nicely entertained as well!

Newbie soup is too bland right now; Tastes kinda flat and shallow. Hence more stock, salt & pepper .... fire up the gas knob for more heat , simmer to perfection! Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_cool
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooltube Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Terribly entertained though pity the wannabe chefs clown
Cooltube
Cooltube
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:41 pm

Cooltube wrote:Terribly entertained though pity the wannabe chefs clown

No need for any wannabes . Just let it burn all the way.

Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooltube Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:46 pm

Thought I'm cruel but you're off the scales Shocked
Cooltube
Cooltube
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:47 am

First of all, what amp r u guys playing with? Tube? Solid state?
Have u guys ever compare the sound of hi sensitive speaker (15") driven by set amp like 2a3 or 300b, compare to those low sensitive Sp (wt small driver) driven by hi power push pull amp?
Which 1 have more detail, micro dynamic, decade n relex sounding?
Pls do your homework b4 u all command.
Noted: I m refering to those hi end set 2a3 n 300b with interstage
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:06 am

noodle88 wrote:First of all, what amp r u guys playing with? Tube? Solid state?
Have u guys ever compare the sound of hi sensitive speaker (15") driven by set amp like 2a3 or 300b, compare to those low sensitive Sp (wt small driver) driven by hi power push pull amp?

Great 'hot' entertainment here.. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Pass teh o limau ais to everyone..
What's the sensitivity level that you are referring?

Hi end 2a3 and 300B?
May I know what brand is that?
Just curious..
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:59 am

Great 'hot' entertainment here.. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Hi end 2a3 and 300B?
Just curious..

honestly I just wish to bring out 3 points:
(a.) vintage speaker has performance/price ratio advantage over the modern speaker.Not modern speaker sucks, I listen before to Living Voice and Dynaudio which really impress me but not for the price.
(b.) a typical horn system do not need high watter to drive, the horn design is very efficient nevertheless.
(c.) good vintage speaker can be driven with small watter 300B or 2A3 with ease and full dynamics.

It dosn't matter what brand is that,there is
"home-brew" 2A3 which can rivals branded gear as long as the trannie is good the layout is good and the tube used is good. it is simple design, schematic can be downloaded from internet. In hifi world there is no perfect system, everything ties with $, as a rational educated person, we are looking for best price ot performance ratio instead of blindly chasing for brand or listen to forumer bull-shitting. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_lol

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:19 am

Again, can you just list down what hi power amp have you experience before that is also hi distortion?
Just name some brands : model.

Otherwise, you're just making it all up from your arschenhaller ...
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:23 am

wabun wrote:

Hi end 2a3 and 300B?
Just curious..

(a.) vintage speaker has performance/price ratio advantage over the modern speaker.Not modern speaker sucks, I listen before to Living Voice and Dynaudio which really impress me but not for the price.
(b.) a typical horn system do not need high watter to drive, the horn design is very efficient nevertheless.
(c.) good vintage speaker can be driven with small watter 300B or 2A3 with ease and full dynamics.

"home-brew" 2A3 which can rivals branded gear as long as the trannie is good the layout is good and the tube used is good. it is simple design, schematic can be downloaded from internet. In hifi world there is no perfect system, everything ties with $, as a rational educated person, we are looking for best price ot performance ratio instead of blindly chasing for brand or listen to forumer bull-shitting. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_lol

Hmm.. It seems that you also acknowledged that money can buy the better stuffs these days and you are only not happy with the price tag of modern stuffs. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_razz

I wonder what would happen if great modern stuffs are selling at affordable price...
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:29 am

it won't happen. what is the gold price 30 years back ? what is the gold price now ? an SPX29302 IC was bonded with 12 gold wire last time now bond with 11 copper wire but selling double the price nowadays. so you guess you will get quality stuff without paying a premium for modern thing ? be realistic la fren... thats the reason why vintage stuff is worth investment.

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:30 am

wabun wrote:

Hi end 2a3 and 300B?
Just curious..

(a.) This is the "sour grapes" mentality, using $$$ as excuse now. 'Nuff said.

(b.) & (c.) are motherhood statements. What it means by high watter? is 15Watts damn high for you to handle already? What defines a "good vintage speaker", must it have Super high sensitivity that can be easily driven by 3Watter SET Amps ? How about the Quad ESL63 speakers? Is this not a vintage speaker ? Can you use a 300B to drive it ?

Looks like now you can be crowned the new king of bullshitter here . Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_king

Congratulations to you. Again.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:36 am

wabun wrote:it won't happen. what is the gold price 30 years back ? what is the gold price now ? an SPX29302 IC was bonded with 12 gold wire last time now bond with 11 copper wire but selling double the price nowadays. so you guess you will get quality stuff without paying a premium for modern thing ? be realistic la fren... thats the reason why vintage stuff is worth investment.

More bullshit from mr. Dinosaur. And here's why:

Gold is a commodity. Hifi equipment is a MANUFACTURED PRODUCT. (mr. dinosaur here can't seem to grasp this concept although he is allegedly from in the electronics manufacturing industry).

A better comparison would be:

What is the price of an typical 4 door sedan car back in 1965 vs one today?
Normalise the prices back to 1965 dollars, and take open-mkt-value in Europe or USA where the prices are not skewed by peculiar tariffs unlike here in Boleh-Land.

Or closer to home:
What is the price for a bowl of Prawn & Chicken Hor-Fun Soup at Thean Chun Coffeeshop 30 years ago vs. the price today ?

But i doubt if mr. dinosaur is even aware of something called "inflation" and "time value of money" ...
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:19 am

wabun wrote:so you guess you will get quality stuff without paying a premium for modern thing ? be realistic la fren... thats the reason why vintage stuff is worth investment.

Well, thanks a lot for your concern but I am realistic enough. hahahahaha.. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
I do have both vintage and modern stuffs at home.
I never say vintage stuffs are bad. Some even live up to their legendary status too.
The point is they are just different.

I can accept the newer technologies that cannot be found in vintage stuffs.
With the advancement through technologies, we can see new things that could not be found in the olden days.

It is still very clear that you are trying to say modern stuffs are good (or perhaps better) but the prices put you off. hahahahahaha... Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_razz
But then again, many of us here also cannot afford them but able to accept the fact that some modern marvels are indeed better.
Yes. Me included, of course. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Lol

Anyway, no hard feelings ya..
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:53 am

car o scope wrote:

For 2a3 99db n above for 300b 94 n above

Hi end 2a3 and 300B?
Just curious..
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:17 am

Guys , we cannot deny that most vintage big speaker/ horn loaded speaker r no longer be economically back in production. Further more many good component r no longer avaliable.
For me, I prefer 15" horn loaded speaker which r quite rare in modern speaker design. If they produce, I m sure those r top of the range speaker product for particular speaker manufacturer.
Single ended tube amp r running on class A mode but not with push pull amps
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jcwlow Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:34 am

It is still very clear that you are trying to say modern stuffs are
good (or perhaps better) but the prices put you off. hahahahahaha... Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_razz
But then again, many of us here also cannot afford them but able to accept the fact that some modern marvels are indeed better.

While some modern marvels are indeed better, I think what wabun is trying to get at is that with vintage gear, you would tend to get more bang for buck than with more modern stuff, and for some of us with unfortunately tighter wallets (me included) but desiring a taste of the high end, that makes vintage stuff altogether a very attractive proposition. Of course everybody would like a Krell in the hall but with stuff like that sometimes costing parts of human anatomy, its no wonder more and more are turning to vintage gear to satiate that infernal thirst (me included) provided one is willing to put some effort into it instead of some cold, hard cash...

I got a Lenco a while back which took me the good part of a year to get it playing right (getting plinth done, arm, and cart geometry right etc); it doesnt quite hold a candle to a Verdier but can actually give a LP12 a run for its money, but at a fraction of the cost. Plus its built like a Panzer, something which you will be hard-pressed finding these days, even in some pricier makes.

Well of course I could sell my house and live in the streets with a MBL but I'd rather not. After all, what better way than to spend your sedate saturday afternoons tinkering and bashing away at that blasted old thing, trying to make it sound like your neighbour's spanking brand new mouthwateringly luscious turntable he just bought by pawning his wedding ring? Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_rabbit

jcwlow
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:51 am

jcwlow you are absolutely correct, thats the message i would like to convey over here. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:09 am

jcwlow wrote:
While some modern marvels are indeed better, I think what wabun is trying to get at is that with vintage gear, you would tend to get more bang for buck than with more modern stuff, and for some of us with unfortunately tighter wallets (me included) but desiring a taste of the high end, that makes vintage stuff altogether a very attractive proposition. Of course everybody would like a Krell in the hall but with stuff like that sometimes costing parts of human anatomy, its no wonder more and more are turning to vintage gear to satiate that infernal thirst (me included) provided one is willing to put some effort into it instead of some cold, hard cash...

Re-read all the previous posts again and you will know what's the main argument. (Argument doesn't mean angry debates here. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_razz )
The argument was about things that have moved on with the times.
Where most of us can understand how technologies move on with time and things do change, there are still some people who live in self denial on such thing.
Only to find himself finally admitting that the price is the main concern. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Lol
Look.. I am not trying to say that you are wrong but merely just trying to point out that the words being put up by 'the challenger' are twisting and turning.
Actually, I still dont understand why want to challenge people instead of making friends. Speaker to match with SET amplifier - Page 2 Icon_scratch

Sigh.. I think better move back to talk about SET amps lah..
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:40 am

Ok guys let get back to set amp.
What set amp r u guys having?
I own a pair of diy 300b amp with 8w.
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by zulkifar Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:24 am

Apart from horns which are known to be efficient and therefore a good match for SETs, you should also try dynamic speakers from the likes of JM Lab, Audionote, Tannoy, Mission and Kef. I am told even the vintage Yamaha NS1000M sounds good driven with valves.
I have never owned KT88s; only KT66s, EL84s and 300Bs and the mentioned brands have worked well with the setups I had. The task is actually to lug around your amp to the dealers in Penang (quite a number of good ones there) and listen to what is best to your taste. As for the technical specs, they are only good to serve as a guide. Best of luck.

zulkifar
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Character sheet
Source(s): LP,CD
Amplification: SET
Speakers: Dynamic

Back to top Go down

Post by sswong3374 Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:23 am

noodle88 wrote:Ok guys let get back to set amp.

your 300B amp is diy 1 right? using what brand of OPT and coupling cap? which brand of 300B tube you currently use?

i'm currently using double 1626 Direct couple PSE.

sswong3374
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:17 pm

sswong3374 wrote:
noodle88 wrote:Ok guys let get back to set amp.

your 300B amp is diy 1 right? using what brand of OPT and coupling cap? which brand of 300B tube you currently use?

i'm currently using double 1626 Direct couple PSE.

I m using tango output trans n interstage.
Vcap as coupling cap between driver stage, as for tube I m using kr 300b n kr2a3
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:22 pm

noodle88 wrote:

Vcap as coupling cap between driver stage, as for tube I m using kr 300b n kr2a3

C'mon ... so which hi power hi distortion amp have you heard with your very own ears ..... Not even a single one ??
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:37 pm

mugenfoo wrote:
noodle88 wrote:

C'mon ... so which hi power hi distortion amp have you heard with your very own ears ..... Not even a single one ??

hey mugenxxx, to me any tube amp above 50w I consider them as hi power.
For set amp, we look for simplisity, the lesser component in the signer path the better sounding the amp will be.

I do own a cj premier 11a , a 6550 push pull 70w amp it sounded not so smooth n not so detail when driving my hi efficiency speaker(99db) compare to my 300b set amp.

Push pull amps r full of 2nd n 3rd harmonic destortion. Most of Uniat can't hear it cos your speaker just not sensitive enough. So sad to know. If u have the chance do play your hi power amp with hi sensitive speaker then only u will know how awful it sound compare to a 2a3 or 300b set amp, needless to mention about we205d n 45 tube set amp.

Oh! Happy new year!!! N hoke up your system to a 15" hi sensitive speaker n u will redefine what Hifi is all about
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:49 pm

Well .... actually you just could be right. That CJ Premier 11a amp must really sound lousy esp with high efficiency horn speakers.

Wanna sell it off ?? Pls PM me if you're keen to get rid of this lousy sounding hi power hi distortion amp. Serious offer here !
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:08 pm

mugenfoo wrote:Well .... actually you just could be right. That CJ Premier 11a amp must really sound lousy esp with high efficiency horn speakers.

Wanna sell it off ?? Pls PM me if you're keen to get rid of this lousy sounding hi power hi distortion amp. Serious offer here !

ok, I will sell it of if u willing to pay me rm 10k
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm

noodle88 wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:Well .... actually you just could be right. That CJ Premier 11a amp must really sound lousy esp with high efficiency horn speakers.

ok, I will sell it of if u willing to pay me rm 10k

But its such shit sounding according to you ! How can it be worth 10K then ?
For such hi distortion amp .... RM500 lah ... Eh, doing you a super big favour here already. Paying you good money to get rid of such hi distortion amp and freeing up more rack space for your SET amps !
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:21 pm

Still worth rm10k, every amp have a price for it. If u want an amp with certain quality u need to pay the price if not u r out.
Hahaha..... No hard feeling pls.
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:27 pm

noodle88 wrote:Still worth rm10k, every amp have a price for it. If u want an amp with certain quality u need to pay the price if not u r out.

Its ok ... i hope no hard feelings on you too. But this really just exposes your very own hypocrisy about what you claim & agree with versus what you really place value on but is too ashamed to admit.

Just because you can't get your CJ Premier 11a to sound right, seems like you'd rather write it off as "hi distortion" and take a devolutionary step back instead.

What a waste of such a fine piece of equipment due to poor ownership.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:42 pm

mugenfoo wrote:
noodle88 wrote:Still worth rm10k, every amp have a price for it. If u want an amp with certain quality u need to pay the price if not u r out.

Its ok ... i hope no hard feelings on you too. But this really just exposes your very own hypocrisy about what you claim & agree with versus what you really place value on but is too ashamed to admit.

Just because you can't get your CJ Premier 11a to sound right, seems like you'd rather write it off as "hi distortion" and take a devolutionary step back instead.

What a waste of such a fine piece of equipment due to poor ownership.

pale silent

I do admit that cj is not too bad, but set amp can go much higher end. That why I chose set amp, further my 300b amp r not ordinary 300b amp so as my speaker. I did compare n played with the cj quite some time before I make up my mine n go for set amp. I even plug in kr kt88 into the cj but still way behind my 300b
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by 7810sam Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:58 am

[quote="mugenfoo"]
7810sam wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:

OK, since you're asking for some opinions:
it doesn't hurt you to try a solid state amp on your beloved horn speakers. Amplification is all exactly what the name states. Go try a "more powerful" amp like a simple Audiolab or even a Pioneer A-400 or if you wanna stick closer to home and want warm sounding stuff, a Quad pre/power combo (if u can find one or got a friend to loan you one for half-a-day).

Some people think that horns are overly efficient and hence tend to stinge on amp power.

Besides, as long as you turn the volume knob to comfortable listening levels, there is no risk of damage to the speakers whatsoever.

7810sam, where are you located at ? KL/PJ ? Seremban ? Ipoh? Penang ?

Mugen,

I was using Pioneer A-300 to pwr the speaker initially but this amp could hardly drive the mid and virtually no sound from the tweeter. The mid sound like far away and dull. That the reason, I embark into SET 300b amp.

Hi all with horn/klipsch speakers experience,
Anyone who have any ideas or suggestion what should i do next(but no chg of speakers).

Happy 2010 to everyone. Resolution- of course windfall of fortune and health for family. 2. Make my klipsch horn to become nirvana.

7810sam
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:24 am

7810sam, Horn speaker r highlly sensitive slight imperfaction in your system it will show.
Try to look for problem up stream, power amp , pre amp, source, interconect or powercord
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next