Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Interesting Read- Sound Quality of IC & Speaker Cables

3 posters

Go down

Interesting Read- Sound Quality of IC & Speaker Cables Empty Interesting Read- Sound Quality of IC & Speaker Cables

Post by andlee2k Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi All,

Just sharing what i read about expensive ICs & speaker cables, silver and digital cables.

http://sound.westhost.com/cables-p3.htm

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2011-09-29

Back to top Go down

Interesting Read- Sound Quality of IC & Speaker Cables Empty Listen

Post by timurmusicfan Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:33 pm

My advice brothers, listen.

And let your ears tell you your own version of truth. If you cannot hear a difference, you are lucky. You save a lot of money. Be happy.

If you can hear the difference, then just ignore all the experts. Just because you cannot measure something, does not mean its not there. The human ears, by the mercy of God, is more sensitive than oscilloscopes (current model anyway).

Let me share two of my experiences:
1. Year 1986. When I bought my first dedicated CD player, just for the heck of it, I asked the salesman to compare the provided RCA with three different RCA available in the shop. Later I found out that one of them even more expensive than my CD player, although it was not the best sounding, to my ears. And every cable sounded different. Not necessarily better, but different.
2. Year 2016. My brother testing out my speaker cables in his system. Halfway through the first song, his wife came out from the bedroom and asked what he have done to the HiFi! And she was not even in the hall (where the HiFi is).

So brothers and sisters, go and listen, and may your ears guide you. But do not listen to the salesmen.
Let me quote Sibelius "The gates of Heaven opened and I heard music". May you too.

timurmusicfan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-04-15

Back to top Go down

Interesting Read- Sound Quality of IC & Speaker Cables Empty Re: Interesting Read- Sound Quality of IC & Speaker Cables

Post by andlee2k Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Actually there is one question I've asked. Is that "should the cables cost more than the equipments?" E.g the interconnect more than the CD player?

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2011-09-29

Back to top Go down

Interesting Read- Sound Quality of IC & Speaker Cables Empty Re: Interesting Read- Sound Quality of IC & Speaker Cables

Post by timurmusicfan Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Salaam. 
No. A good guide is to spend about 20% cost on cabling.  One big problem with poor quality imitation cables sound degradation due to oxidation. This is a major problem in a hot humid country like ours.  The connector will oxidise then the cable inside will start oxidising.  Problem is that we will not notice because the process is slow.  So. If you change to a new cable,  suddenly everything sounds better. 
Price is not a good guide because different cables sound different...

timurmusicfan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:16 pm

It depends on your configuration. If your Amp is well designed to meet the power requirements of the speakers than cables shouldnt make a difference unless they are specially designed cables with abnormal inductance or capacitance. 

I would have said standard designed cables irrespective of their price should not make a difference until it made a difference when my amp was reaching the max. 

For speaker cables, compare the speakers maximum power and the amps max output. The difference can be audible if the amp rating is lower than the speakers rating provided you also drive them hard enough. Also make sure the cable gauge is correct as your speakers max requirement. At least that's what it did to my ESL speakers.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Ambiophonics setup.
Amplification:
Speakers: Electrostatics

https://stchelvam.wixsite.com/ambiophonics3dstereo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down