Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Harbeth speakers - discussion thread

+50
travellersolo
scwong
cloud9
kurnass
puiyk1973
gloraglory
kychoo99
alfred
is_jalil
samazzah
JediSavant
cmboy
hi5papa
oracle
fizi
uncle_vic
wywong
bimmerman
car o scope
soonthas
zeebee
carz
mrquery
jtan
sleme
Bite
STC
dixchen
SHL-5
chewkwokhon
Lamkochai
WongKN
123_rocketman
sph
VS126
hasnul
mugenfoo
noodle88
terencebee
moderneagle
Apole
tycham
CH
samn
adrian4454
ryder
Mahler 9
Mikapoh
htkaki
khlim_77
54 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Harbeth speakers - discussion thread

Post by mugenfoo Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:25 pm

SHL-5 wrote:

Hi VS126, out of curiosity, care to share with us what spks are you using & or what are the spks that you have very high regard for?

I'm taking a wild guess here, but i think VS126 likes this really high end brand of loudspeakers called "Sonic Gear". Available in Sim Lim Tower, Funan Ctr, and our very own Low Yat Plaza at discount prices everyday!

Have a laugh, you guys !!
lol!
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Harbeth speakers - discussion thread

Post by mugenfoo Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Mahler 9 wrote:
Very nice setup and welcome as Harbethian. Hope you can escape from "audio-chasing-game" enter into "pure-music-paradise"...

Be frank, your photo, the rubber surround look weird with such light reflection.

In this hobby, do not take too serious on other listeners opinions on what sound is right sound. Only you are the right person to justify what is the right sound for yourself.

Cheers~

Not wanting to burst your bubble here, but there's been a fair number of people who even after having the 40.2, they are thoroughly unsatisfied with their system still. Even going to great lengths to try various tube and transistor amps, super high end source equipment, cables and accessories, etc etc...

Come to think of it, the odds are in favour of these people who are most likely to stay put and own a pair of speakers for 15 years+ and have truly discovered audio nirvana, is when they own a pair of Wilson Audio Alexandria or JM Labs Grande Utopia or a Magico Q7 or an Infinity IRS-something .... That really is the pinnacle and "you're there" already.

Putting it in perspective, These speakers would make any Harbeth seem like a comparison between a Hermes handbag vs. a Coach handbag.

Would anyone here take the stand that a Harbeth could out-do or be more "natural sounding" than a JM Labs Grande Utopia? Would love to hear from you! Wink
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:16 am

Wei Mugen, they r not at the same league. How can u compare them like that?
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 am

noodle88 wrote:Wei Mugen, they r not at the same league. How can u compare them like that?

just to highlight a point that Harbeth is not the "ultimate" speaker that some claim it to be, because nothing really is the ultimate anyways. Twisted Evil
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:48 am

Mugen is always right, Sonic Gear for computer Audio and Monitor Audio for HiFi.
No Boom and I use Graphic equaliser to boost up the 100 to 150 region of my Monitor Audio so it sounds exactly like the Magical Mid Band of Harbeth, round felt on the bass woofer so than the bass is well controlled and I put a damper in front of the metal cone tweeter to minimise the metallic sounding highs.

Viola, good tight bass, magical mids and smooth highs. It is not ruler flat neutral but the mids are tailored to sound very pleasing to my ears, just like Harbeth Speakers.

Please do not get angry at me and no speaker is best in the world. A lot depends on personal preference. No matter what speaker I use or think that it is the absolute best, I do not go out telling mine is the best or most Natural. There is no best.

Having been in this hobby for so many years, I have seen and heard all kinds, and I do not mean speakers.....but owners. People who owns certain speakers and head over heals with it only to find another that truly trash it hands down. They just have to come out of their cocoon sometimes.

I have to admit Harbeth sound nice because of the MID HUMP at the 100-150 region just like the LS3/5A. It is critical for small bookshelves.. If it is ruler flat, I think you wld not like it.

Sorry sorry, some of my Harbeth owner friend who are trying to sell their Harbeth is going to kill me.
Please continue to enjoy yr Harbeth.
VS126
VS126
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:57 am

mugenfoo wrote:
noodle88 wrote:Wei Mugen, they r not at the same league. How can u compare them like that?

just to highlight a point that Harbeth is not the "ultimate" speaker that some claim it to be, because nothing really is the ultimate anyways. Twisted Evil

We are not bashing Harbeth but statement like
"Best Ultimate speaker at any price"
"People upgrading from speakers costing 10, 20 times the price to Harbeth"
"If you are not using Harbeth, you are listening to UnNatural sound"
"No matter what equipment you use, as long as you use Harbeth, you get the magical natural sound"
Aiyah....so many more
C'mon....be realistic guys

VS126
VS126

Character sheet
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by moderneagle Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:14 am

So what speaker cables are best with Harbeths anyway? What do you guys use Ryder, Mikapoh, Mahler, Shl5, khlim77 and the rest?

Yours, diffuser au naturel, moderneagle

moderneagle
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SHL-5 Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:47 am

moderneagle wrote:So what speaker cables are best with Harbeths anyway? What do you guys use Ryder, Mikapoh, Mahler, Shl5, khlim77 and the rest?

The above posts are so hilarious.....makes for a very good laugh to start a wet morning here in Spore. Really reminds me of the dyfunct local forum where 'differing tastes' & listening accumen of various menbers are inevitably revealed when they start bashing Harbeth. Personally i know a guy who was like VS126. Used to hate Harbeth like mud. He was a big fan of DIY Full Range & open baffle spks but today after 15 years, he's a proud owner of Harbeth & finally understood why we Harbethians are so passionate about our spks.

Anyway, back to the cable thingy. Harbeths are not fussy about cables. I use something not too remote from a QED 79 strand but cheaper.

SHL-5

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 am

moderneagle wrote:So what speaker cables are best with Harbeths anyway? What do you guys use Ryder, Mikapoh, Mahler, Shl5, khlim77 and the rest?

... should be the red/black twisted wire from Jalan Pasar.

The manufacturer/Brand is called "Leader Cable". Proudly manufactured in Kedah (i think). Belilah barang-barang buatan Malaysia. 1-Malaysia.
Very Happy
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:53 am

SHL-5 wrote:

The above posts are so hilarious.....makes for a very good laugh to start a wet morning here in Spore. Really reminds me of the dyfunct local forum where 'differing tastes' & listening accumen of various menbers are inevitably revealed when they start bashing Harbeth. Personally i know a guy who was like VS126. Used to hate Harbeth like mud. He was a big fan of DIY Full Range & open baffle spks but today after 15 years, he's a proud owner of Harbeth & finally understood why we Harbethians are so passionate about our spks.

Anyway, back to the cable thingy. Harbeths are not fussy about cables. I use something not too remote from a QED 79 strand but cheaper.

I don't think @VS126 hates Harbeth, but more what some owners of Harbeth seem to be proselytizing.

So how ? Ris Low hot or not ? Razz
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:59 am

There are many people who still love the Harbeth's like myself, although I have moved away from them to join the full range clubbers due to the SET gear that I own now but having owned them for a long time, its hard to sometimes forget how good they were musically with the right equipment driving them, if I continued on with just only 300B's, in a decent listening room, they'll still be my no 1 choice for speakers.

I guess Harbeth's are never fussy bout anything, even diff brands of speaker cables are more of a personal taste more than anything else, system dependant I would say but since BOOM is the topic here, I must chime in that the C7's I had, ' BOOM ' was a term that never co existed when I had them.

In any case, I gotta agree with many here that the Boom factor is also very room dependent.

With anything it was the Harbeth's that kinda taught me what cone ' coloration ' was like with many other speakers out there.

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:00 am

VS126 wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:

We are not bashing Harbeth but statement like
"Best Ultimate speaker at any price"
"People upgrading from speakers costing 10, 20 times the price to Harbeth"
"If you are not using Harbeth, you are listening to UnNatural sound"
"No matter what equipment you use, as long as you use Harbeth, you get the magical natural sound"
Aiyah....so many more
C'mon....be realistic guys

Although I am a Harbeth owner, it makes me wanna laugh when reading the above statements brought up by VS126. I would not ever dare to say Harbeth is the BEST speaker in this planet. In fact we do not have to prove anything, the audio market statistic will tell you everything. If one product is so "complete" then ultimately no other brands can survive. It is as simple as that.

It is also safe to say Harbeths especially SHL5s "In General" are not sounded "BOOMY". Thats why the statistic shows there are so many owners in S'pore and Japan, not to mention other countries around the globe as well. I believe most of the owners from Japan are living in the tight space.

VS126 just reminded us that not to use the sensitive word like "BEST" or "The Most" ...

Moderneagle, I am using Naim electronic to power up the C7s so obviously the speakers cable choice has to be Naim NACA5. Even Sam of Tropical who is very skeptical about speakers cable choice, when he noticed I am using the same manufacturer speaker brand and its din cable he nodded for approval. Quote "At least not so Bad". If I used 3rd party brand, he will critise heavily. This is just an illustration and does not imply I must follow exactly.

Proud owner of Harbeth,
mikapoh

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:26 am

SHL-5 wrote:

[color=orange]"" listening accumen of various menbers are inevitably revealed when they start bashing Harbeth."

There you see, yr inferiority complex surfaced the moment you tried to show yr superiority when you mentioned that others cannot appreciate Harbeth coz they do not know how to listen.[/color]

" Personally i know a guy who was like VS126. Used to hate Harbeth like mud".

Learn yr English.....I never mentioned that I hated Harbeth.....just felt that the fanatics who worshiped it shd go out and experience more.

"He was a big fan of DIY Full Range & open baffle spks but today after 15 years, he's a proud owner of Harbeth & finally understood why we Harbethians are so passionate about our spks".

I might buy Harbeth, maybe 15 years from now.....when my hearing is not so good[, Ha ha when you are old, everything is loose, so don't mind the sound too./color]
. [/quote]

Pls guys, all the above is only directed to our superiority complex neighour country cousin, not to the Malaysia Boleh Gang....Cheers
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by moderneagle Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 am

Ok, thanks for the inputs. Yes, Sam and I (I'd only known him for a month btw) were listening to some Kimber 8TC and the Canare and at one point in the marathon session, Sam actually said he preferred the 8TC but when we played a couple more tracks it became clear to the both of us that the Canare sounded more "involving" although it must be said that the 8TC had "airier" highs and worked better with some music. With female vocals (which I am tired of hearing day in day out by now), the Canare had more "body". Both cables had good separation between instruments, vocal or otherwise.

Sam, if you're reading this, go easy on the cheese.

I'll have a chance this weekend to listen* to some Auditorium 23 and flat Quad cables courtesy of a nice gentlemen (not Sam). So while AS says any old cable with copper in it will do (ok he didn't say that) I know for a fact that speaker cables DO make a difference to the sound of the C7. I recently bought one from eBay and it came yesterday. That one sucks big time. I mean like seriously. And it cost more than the used 8TC I had on loan too.

Yours, *metaphorically speaking, moderneagle

p/s go easy on the cheese guys, you're scaring me. All cows produce cheese, it's not like only one cow's cheese out of the planetary cow population that is the best in the world. Say yes to more cheese choices.

moderneagle
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 am

On cable choices, maybe a revisit to thisTHREAD would be of some help, and with some entertaining posts as well.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 am

Ris Low ! Ris Low , BOOMS!
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:51 am

For Naim amps, NACA5 is the best solution for VFM and sound for pound as pontificated by die-hard Naim fans. All this cable thing is dependent on matching with amplifiers(and speakers).

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:55 am

harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread - Page 4 Boom-anjulie

Now, this is nice...Better than Ris Low BOOMZ..

Played on a Harbeth.

The other choice would be on a MAXX 3 6units down the road.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:57 am

VS126 wrote:SHL-5 wrote:

Learn yr English.....I never mentioned that I hated Harbeth.....just felt that the fanatics who worshiped it shd go out and experience more.

Those so called fanatics who own Harbeth have probably stopped looking, just like Jo-Ki with his 18 or is it 28 pairs of LS3/5as. :-)

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SHL-5 Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:14 am

VS126 wrote:

Pls guys, all the above is only directed to our superiority complex neighour country cousin, not to the Malaysia Boleh Gang....Cheers

Hi VS126, i think its the pot calling the kettle black here. No offence intended actually & pls keep to the topic. I Have many audiophile & non audiophile frens from various parts of M'sia. Fyi, that friend of mine who converted to Harbeth is not an old man....he's well below 50....below 40 in fact so i suppose his ears are still good.

Once again, i hope you can share with us here on the spks u own or have a very high regard to. Since you say that we Harbethians need to go explore other spks so pls enlighten us here. Terima Kasih.

SHL-5

Back to top Go down

Post by SHL-5 Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:20 am

dixchen wrote:
With anything it was the Harbeth's that kinda taught me what cone ' coloration ' was like with many other speakers out there.

I feel that Bro Dixchen has raised a very good & relevant point here. The BBC has done so much research in the 60s & 70s with a view to drive down cone coloration to inaudible levels & i think they have really succeeded in doing that. Kudos to engineers like Spencer Hughes, Dudley Harwood (Harbeth's founder), REL Shorter & many others. Without them, the BBC sound & Harbeth won't exist.

SHL-5

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:41 am

SHL-5 wrote:
dixchen wrote:

I feel that Bro Dixchen has raised a very good & relevant point here. The BBC has done so much research in the 60s & 70s with a view to drive down cone coloration to inaudible levels & i think they have really succeeded in doing that. Kudos to engineers like Spencer Hughes, Dudley Harwood (Harbeth's founder), REL Shorter & many others. Without them, the BBC sound & Harbeth won't exist.

Cone colourations aside ... Harbeths are as engineered to give that warm lush sound ala Patrick Teoh style, so yes ... a Harbeth speaker system is already engineered to give its own "nice sounding" colouration by design. Just stating the facts here.

Not that other speakers are not-coloured, as each would have its own colourations... same goes for Magneplaners, Monitor Audios... even Magicos.

So yeah, Harbeth owners should also acknowledge that Harbeth is also full of its own "colourations". To deny it would be to deny the air that one breathes...

Cool
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 am

SHL-5 wrote:

Once again, i hope you can share with us here on the spks u own or have a very high regard to. Since you say that we Harbethians need to go explore other spks so pls enlighten us here. Terima Kasih.

I do not have any thing against Harbethians (if that is what you want us to address you) but when you question our ability to evaluate sound, then it is a different issue. Most Harbethians have an insulting attitude against other speaker brand owner(ryder and few others execption), scarcastic to the bone that others are wasting their money, dumb....buying rubbish coz they do not know how to appreciate the NATURAL SOUND of HARBETH. They buy colored sound speakers, wasting their money on cables, amps and power distributor.

Like what SHL-5 mentioned...our ability to evaluate.

What speaker I own or lust for is of no value to you coz to Harbeth fanatic, it is never better than Harbeth... They are all colored. Only Harbeth is NATURAL.

You enjoy yr Harbeth, let others enjoy their selection. Only Harbeth fanatics condemn other brands, owner of other brands will probably say.."maybe it is not to your liking"

Someone here mentioned "Harbeths works in small rooms in Japan and Singapore".
Do you know how many hugh Horns systems in small Japanese homes and the number of Wilsons, JM Lab, Revels, MBLs, Gryphons, Infinities, Sonus, Maggies, Thiels, etc in small HDB flats in SG?

Harbeth is good speaker but is no way near the best or Neutral as the best.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SHL-5 Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 am

Hi VS126, i have owned & heard countless spks over the past 25 to 30 years & as far as i am concerned, Harbeth is still my reference point in which i evaluate other spks. That's not to say that i totally do not like other spks at all. I have high regard for brands such as Spendor, Verity Audio & perhaps spks from Tannoy Prestige range. I recall hearing a pair of huge Tannoy Memory GRF in the 80s & it was awesome, midband colorations notwithstanding. I've heard a couple of high end Japanese spks from the 80s such as Technics SB-M1, SB-10000, E500, Sony Esprit, Onkyo Sceptor series & the famed Yamaha NS-2000 that were also quite impressive.

Yes i've also heard YG Acoustic, Wilsons, Thiels, Sonus Faber Strad, Marten Coltrane, Kharma Ceramique, MBLs, Burmesters and many many more in small HDB rooms & small Condominiums . Yes some were pretty good while others were pretty bad.

Last edited by SHL-5 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total

SHL-5

Back to top Go down

Post by moderneagle Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks Vince for clearing that up. So it's the attitude of some owners that is buggy to you, the speakers you sure are ok good? Cos I just bought mine and it'll bug me like 'ell if they weren't, nahwataimean?
For me the most alluring part about Harbeth ownership is that I can use kettle power cords as speaker cables and frankly, even though I don't believe this, strangely it's comforting. (and you guys can psycho analyze that all you want, ok I'll just admit it. I'm a cheap basterd ingloriously)

Yours, cheap and good, moderneagle

moderneagle
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by SHL-5 Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 am

moderneagle wrote:Thanks Vince for clearing that up. So it's the attitude of some owners that is buggy to you, the speakers you sure are ok good? Cos I just bought mine and it'll bug me like 'ell if they weren't, nahwataimean?
For me the most alluring part about Harbeth ownership is that I can use kettle power cords as speaker cables and frankly, even though I don't believe this, strangely it's comforting. (and you guys can psycho analyze that all you want, ok I'll just admit it. I'm a cheap basterd ingloriously)

Yours, cheap and good, moderneagle

Kettle power cords will do just fine. I use that too btw. Very Happy

SHL-5

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:39 am

Moderneagle,

Yes, cheap Bast**d yes but with impeccable taste.

Porsche in yr mansion driveway, BMW for runabout, hermes shoes, rolex watches, cuban cigar, harbeth speaker, blond Russion girls...oh no strike that one off...and all you treat me was to a roadside teh tarik.

Haha....you enjoying my computer audio files?
You managed to play the hirez?

Last edited by VS126 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:39 am

SHL-5 wrote: as far as i am concerned, Harbeth is still my reference point in which i evaluate other spks.

As long it can happen that there will be alot of other speakers / setups that will EXCEED this reference point...

study
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by moderneagle Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:23 am

VS126 wrote:Moderneagle,

Yes, cheap Bast**d yes but with impeccable taste.

Porsche in yr mansion driveway, BMW for runabout, hermes shoes, rolex watches, cuban cigar, harbeth speaker, blond Russion girls...oh no strike that one off...and all you treat me was to a roadside teh tarik.

Haha....you enjoying my computer audio files?
You managed to play the hirez?

Err.. interesting observations which I "categorically deny" (AI used this term but I'm not exactly sure what it means, does it mean he's denying the whole video all 23 minutes of it or only one category of it?)

Yeah, managed to play the hirez and they sound digital. No, I didn't mean that. Much more "space" can be heard with the highest rez files but even the 44.1kHz 16bits files sounded better due to the higher bit rates and the "professional" ripping done, I know, I have some of the same files ripped using iTunes. Very nice overall. We'll have some TT in a respectable shop with proper seating apparatus and electrical fans next time. My treat. Thanks bro.

moderneagle
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by SHL-5 Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:53 am

mugenfoo wrote:
SHL-5 wrote: as far as i am concerned, Harbeth is still my reference point in which i evaluate other spks.

As long it can happen that there will be alot of other speakers / setups that will EXCEED this reference point...

study

Hi Mugen, yes we all have different ref points. Yours maybe a JM Lab Grande Utopia or Wilson Maxx but mine is but a mere humble Harbeth. Very Happy

SHL-5

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:54 am

SHL-5 wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:

study

Hi Mugen, yes we all have different ref points. Yours maybe a JM Lab Grande Utopia or Wilson Maxx but mine is but a mere humble Harbeth. Very Happy

Just to clarify, even a JM Lab Grande Utopia can also be outdone. Nothing is absolute or ultimate. This is the point being made. Smile
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

Moderneagle,

Ok Sunday we go for TT after our session.

Last edited by VS126 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:00 am

mugenfoo wrote:
SHL-5 wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:

study

Just to clarify, even a JM Lab Grande Utopia can also be outdone. Nothing is absolute or ultimate. This is the point being made. Smile

Mugen,

I hv given up.. AS have a good hold on them..
SHL-5 uses Harbeth Speakers as a reference point....I wld hv thought he uses life unamplified sound as a reference. As uses his daughter's voice as reference. Our friend here in sg uses a box speaker as a reference.

Last edited by VS126 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:00 am

I am drawn to the stereophile graph posted here and want to add my 2cent. One may note that the frequency axis is not scaled. What appears as a bump around the 100hz region is far worse better than the bump around 2500Hz to 5000Hz ( the right channel frequency response).
If I were to space and plot the axis differently, say from 80Hz and 200Hz. Then you wouldn't see any bump around the region. However, if I were to plot every 100Hz from 2500Hz to 5000Hz then you would see a bigger bump around that region. Having said that I believe Harbeth is indeed coloured (IMHO) but not within the vocal frequencies band which they are famous for.

One of the main functions of BBC in those days was to archive audio recordings besides broadcasting their important speech by their Queen and PMs and I believe they would have paid a lot of attention to capture the voices as accurate as possible.

Last edited by STC on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:21 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : "worse" is replaced by "better")
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Character sheet
Source(s): Ambiophonics setup.
Amplification:
Speakers: Electrostatics

https://stchelvam.wixsite.com/ambiophonics3dstereo

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:07 am

STC wrote:I am drawn to the stereophile graph posted here and want to add my 2cent. One may note that the frequency axis is not scaled. What appears as a bump around the 100hz region is far worse than the bump around 2500Hz to 5000Hz ( the right channel frequency response).
If I were to space and plot the axis differently, say from 80Hz and 200Hz. Then you wouldn't see any bump around the region. However, if I were to plot every 100Hz from 2500Hz to 5000Hz then you would see a bigger bump around that region. Having said that I believe Harbeth is indeed coloured (IMHO) but not within the vocal frequencies band which they are famous for.

One of the main functions of BBC in those days was to archive audio recordings besides broadcasting their important speech by their Queen and PMs and I believe they would have paid a lot of attention to capture the voices as accurate as possible.

good observation.

The hump in the 100Hz region serves to point out that Harbeths, just like any other speakers, have its own engineered sound .

Do keep in mind that such curves are only a small slice of the pie, radiation patterns also play a big role.

Not to mention impulse response and other metrics....

Also, as with most things in the real world, when you engineer something with a particular concentration in one aspect, there will always be compromises in other areas. For example, don't expect Harbeths to be the super Heavy Metal Rocking or the favourite for Black Eyed Peas to go BOOM-BOOM-BOOM with. Yes you may get alot of upper mid bass volume (and sometimes to the point of it adding its own "BOOM" to the music) but it won't give the grand scale dynamics, slam and speed that is so crucial to the Linkin Park, Aerosmith and RATM fans. And don't expect the presense, detailing and holography of Paul Desmond blowing his sax and giving you your own private performance in fron of you... For these, do try a pair of Maggies... I hear that some MG3.7 might be coming to town real soon !
cheers
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:07 pm

VS126 wrote:
Mugen,

I hv given up.. AS have a good hold on them..
SHL-5 uses Harbeth Speakers as a reference point....I wld hv thought he uses life unamplified sound as a reference. As uses his daughter's voice as reference. Our friend here in sg uses a box speaker as a reference.

Hahahaha.... "box speaker as a reference" !

But seriously, its not my intention to change anyone's opinion. I'd rather toy with people's opinionated ideas instead. Its much more fun this way.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:00 pm

don't expect Harbeths to be the super Heavy Metal Rocking or the favourite for Black Eyed Peas to go BOOM-BOOM-BOOM with

Well said! But then Harbeth lovers do not really listen to BOOM_BOOM_BOOM.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:14 pm

STC wrote:
don't expect Harbeths to be the super Heavy Metal Rocking or the favourite for Black Eyed Peas to go BOOM-BOOM-BOOM with

But some still like the heavier stuff like Joe Satriani and his super wailing guitar riffs!
lol!
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:18 pm

STC wrote:

Oh like that ah!!!

Then I have to take back the title of "The Ultimate Speaker".

Just as the late Jim Thiel used to say.
"A good speaker shd be able to reproduce any kind of sound, be it music or home theater"

So if I want to listen to some Dire Straits or Led Zep, I have to change speakers???
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Change lor .... MBL should be quite well suited for Led Zep ! Wink
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:33 pm

I sell my house first or you lend me yr Utopia.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Just as the late Jim Thiel used to say.
"A good speaker shd be able to reproduce any kind of sound, be it music or home theater"

So if I want to listen to some Dire Straits or Led Zep, I have to change speakers???

Well he may have said that but he still can't make the Ultimate speaker. No one could. We can,t expect sounds from various sizes intruments somespaning over eight feet to be produced by a few drivers of few inches. Even AS agreed he Harbeth can't rock.

For Led Zep, how about pro speakers like BMG? They never used utopia or MBL.. lol!
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Sonic Gear i tell you all, Sonic Gear.... buy a stereo pair, get free "subwoofer" as well.

lol! lol! lol!
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Ok Mugen, I will check out the sonic gear. You sure it is better than the harbeth for rock music???
BTW, you have some share in Sonic Gear???or leapfrog???
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:36 pm

VS126 wrote:Ok Mugen, I will check out the sonic gear. You sure it is better than the harbeth for rock music???
BTW, you have some share in Sonic Gear???or leapfrog???

I'm more of a X-Mini supporter.... Winner of the prestigious "Red Dot" design award, just like Clearaudio TTs ! Razz Razz Razz
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:50 pm

mugenfoo wrote:Sonic Gear i tell you all, Sonic Gear.... buy a stereo pair, get free "subwoofer" as well.

lol! lol! lol!
This time, I have to say that you are definitely WRONG!!!Evil or Very Mad

According to our bass master sifu logit85 a.k.a gopala (as he is known at avsforum.com), logitech Z5500 is LOUD BOOMY BOOM BOOM. Listering to Hindu songs boom boom loud until voice coil burnt lol! lol!
htkaki
htkaki

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Who ask him to marry Indian girl???
Have to listen to Indian Boom Boom Songs whole day lah.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:10 pm

htkaki wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:Sonic Gear i tell you all, Sonic Gear.... buy a stereo pair, get free "subwoofer" as well.

lol! lol! lol!
This time, I have to say that you are definitely WRONG!!!Evil or Very Mad

According to our bass master sifu logit85 a.k.a gopala (as he is known at avsforum.com), logitech Z5500 is LOUD BOOMY BOOM BOOM. Listering to Hindu songs boom boom loud until voice coil burnt lol! lol!

Cheh ... then i change my mind to buy the SVS sub already! I better go buy Logitech Sub instead!

hahahahahahahahahahaha
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Sifu logit85 is seeking for a system that could let him 'listering' to songs at 140dB for a whopping 7 hours:lol!: . The catch is no voice coil KO issue. His eardrums must be titanium. Normal human would have suffer permanent hearing damage in less than an hour at that insane volume level.

htkaki
htkaki

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahler 9 Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Until now, it is obvious choose the speaker suite your music taste the most. It is all depend on subjective personal perception.

My good frien was a Mezzo utopia owner and move on to Utopia. Frankly, his Mezzo sound very good and now the Utopia too. I witness his hard work fine treated and tune his large bedroom to optimal the sound. Not easy and hat off to him. I like it's big, large scale and powerfull presentation when playing lion dance drum, Di Yi Gu, Sistem drum, Jurrosi Park, etc really chest and ground shaking. When listen to classical music, I am classical music listener, either Mezzo or utopia, sound far too away from what I like. I am not audiophile albums and test track or test tone listener. Yes, they play sound and effect wonderfully, but they failed to reproduce the correct tone of classical music which is so important to me. When listen to vocal, to him, the voices are all good but I do not connnected into the sound because the cone signature sound is too obvious. Of cos, to me only. To my friend, he still hope he can get better speaker than the utopia. He do not like the BE cos he said BE sound fake, thin and sharp. He do not like MBL too, the said mid too thick and bass too much always disconnected from mid. And, he do not understand why I love harbeth so musch, why a guy traded in his 8002D to a very old 1st generation Harbeth M40. He own full set of Kajaran Gold CD (made in Japan) but when I play one of the CD, he still can ask me is the CD belong to me....When I listen to Mahler or opera he feel I am weird why listen to such music where got shock...Nothing wrong...We still good friend. I still can enjoy his hifi...one in awhile...we still keep in touch thru phone almost every week to exchange ideal on sound, mod, room, ete..

STC is right, majority Harbeth owner not listen to BOOM_BOOM_BOOM. Majority of them listen in low to moderate level as the design aim for...so for who like to listen loud now and think can enjoy harbeth after 15 yrs is quite impossible shd plan listen to big horn or head phone whatever that can play even louder than now because hearing most likely oredi damaged by loud sound not able to enjoy low to moderate level music playback. Like today youngster who like to listen boom boom music with inear-earphone in street, in bus, in train, in all those noisy environment, etc most likely to have earing problem when reaching age of 30...loud sound damage hearing, a fact shd not be overlook. For who got kids. pls beware

Mahler 9
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next