Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Harbeth speakers - discussion thread

+50
travellersolo
scwong
cloud9
kurnass
puiyk1973
gloraglory
kychoo99
alfred
is_jalil
samazzah
JediSavant
cmboy
hi5papa
oracle
fizi
uncle_vic
wywong
bimmerman
car o scope
soonthas
zeebee
carz
mrquery
jtan
sleme
Bite
STC
dixchen
SHL-5
chewkwokhon
Lamkochai
WongKN
123_rocketman
sph
VS126
hasnul
mugenfoo
noodle88
terencebee
moderneagle
Apole
tycham
CH
samn
adrian4454
ryder
Mahler 9
Mikapoh
htkaki
khlim_77
54 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Harbeth speakers - discussion thread

Post by khlim_77 Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 am

Fizi
aft communication with the buyer over the phone, i had purposely take a trip to visit singapore, too bad the seller is not honest, the Quad 44 + 405 condition is very bad , alot of noise without play any music, so the result is wasted my time
here is the ad of the seller

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=99466.0

so now is a hard time coz my existing Audiolab 8000A was sold , now my Harbeth can't sing , any suggestion other then Quad 606 ( 606 over my budget )? may consider get Creek , Arcam or Rotel to by pass the hard time
any suggestion ?
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Harbeth speakers - discussion thread

Post by ryder Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:29 pm

A used Exposure 2010? Should be more lively and involving than the Audiolab that you've sold if you listen to a wide genre of music. If more on vocals and mellow stuff, perhaps a tube amp would do(others with experience may suggest).

I was never a fan of Arcam (in fact I feel the Audiolab 8000A may be better than any of the Arcam integrateds). I have to say that it has got a lot to do with listening preference though. You might want to scratch that off your list if you don't want your music to sound flat and uninvolving.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:13 pm

khlim_77 wrote:Fizi
aft communication with the buyer over the phone, i had purposely take a trip to visit singapore, too bad the seller is not honest, the Quad 44 + 405 condition is very bad , alot of noise without play any music, so the result is wasted my time
here is the ad of the seller

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=99466.0

so now is a hard time coz my existing Audiolab 8000A was sold , now my Harbeth can't sing , any suggestion other then Quad 606 ( 606 over my budget )? may consider get Creek , Arcam or Rotel to by pass the hard time
any suggestion ?

Khlim,
So sorry to hear that,since u already in singapore have u go survey other place like adelphi and so on...

After using audiolab i dont recommend u sing any integrated like creek,arcam or rotel because u already set upgrading in mind so is not worth to purchase any of that...better save some money and go for a better choice like naim,quad and so on...u also can try call this guy he advertise this sugden combo (link below)

https://www.hifi4sale.net/t22911-sugden-au41c-and-au41p-pre-power-amplifier-used?highlight=sugden

https://www.hifi4sale.net/t20612-sugden-p28-pre-c28-power-amplifier-used?highlight=sugden

Sugden also a good match with harbeth , the second link outlook is not presentable to look at. Singapore also can consider a good venue to explore for used items u also can get cheaper deal if lucky so try to open echoloft frequently Very Happy

good luck
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Agreed that Exposure 2010 would form a good partner with your Harbeths and friendly on the wallet too. I would prefer Harbeths to be driven by up tempo amp to cater for wider music taste.

Another brand in similar range with Audiolab is Mission Cyrus. I have used Cyrus 3 for more than 7 yrs, though not on Harbeth...

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by is_jalil Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Jadis orchestra work wonders with Harbeth too if you are into vocal & mellow stuff.. used to paired it with M30 & HL compact, i believe it works with other harbeth model too

is_jalil
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi
i did visit Adelphi, try out the spendor 2/3 pair with Sudgen a21 , sound is nice but not so impress , i dun know how well is Sudgen pair with Harbeth, or maybe Spendor taste not as nice as Harbeth , hahaha

try Linn , so so to me ..........maybe i not up to that level yet

try Quad 99 , it was pair with Dali floorstand speaker, i dun think this is a good combination

try Exposure 3010S with again Dali floorstand speaker - sound better then matching with Quad 99

try Audiolab 8200P + 8200M with Dali fs speaker again, yes , very very impress, mid, high very smooth , very powerfull deep bass , wide sound stage , only thing not nice is the money
P+M = S$4100

so after try out the hifi whole day without any objective , and i think my ear also abit giddy, i decide to walk back to Harbeth shop
and again, i saw my lover - C7ESR , this time it match with a china brand " tunewin " integrated amp , a cheap cheap amp cost abt S$8++ new ,and again this is the sound i want , sound sweet like my honey .....hahahaha , charting with the boss and finish enjoying a piece of Diana krall CD
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi Ryder
i did study many review mention Harbeth is well match with tune amp
and myself have a experience using my harbeth pair with Cayin 300B
maybe is my setting problem coz i only get a very flat sound
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Mikapoh
study on Cyrus II, is that necessary get together with the Cyrus power supply ( PSX ) ? how does it taste compare with audiolab ?
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:39 pm

khlim_77 wrote:Hi Ryder
i did study many review mention Harbeth is well match with tune amp
and myself have a experience using my harbeth pair with Cayin 300B
maybe is my setting problem coz i only get a very flat sound

Hi khlim_77,

I just checked on the HL-P3. The specs suggest that it is not quite an easy speaker to drive with its low sensitivity of 82.5dB. The minimum power requirement is 20W, and the Cayin 300B is only rated at 8W. Perhaps the Cayin is not providing sufficient juice to drive the speaker resulting in a flat sound.

Cayin 300B spec http://www.stereophile.com/content/harbeth-hl-p3-loudspeaker-specifications

Although Harbeth speakers are always said to be an easy load, it would advisable to feed them with more power preferably higher than the minimum recommended, if not close to their nominal power handling.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:56 pm

khlim_77 wrote:Mikapoh
study on Cyrus II, is that necessary get together with the Cyrus power supply ( PSX ) ? how does it taste compare with audiolab ?

Hi Khlim, it occurs to me you seem to have "love at first sight" with the C7ES3! Now that you still call her "my love" when you get to see her again....... Very Happy

I have owned her for 10 months and continue to put up smile on my face everytime she sings in front of me. This is the sort of things you keep for very long. Thanks for recommendation by someone here!

I think P3s share the limelight too and have their own set of strengths being small monitor. However, many have claimed they are harder load on amp compare to C7s or SHL5s. It does not come as surprise as its sensitivity is only 83.5dB.

As for Cyrus, similar to naim the power supply is an option & an upgrade. Compare to Audiolab, the later is more forward sounding and punchy. Cyrus sound is more laid back and soundstaging is very expressive. This is my own observation and may vary with others.

Cheers.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Having heard a pair of P3's being driven by Exposure XX and Krell mega power t-rex 400 watts... i think there could be a case made for the Harbeth/Exposure combo... to me, there's not very much that Exposure products can't drive... Forwardness, punchiness mixed with finesse... Bang for buck considering Harbeth's price range...
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:32 am

khlim..

- Quad,Naim and Sudgen - value for money and perform well with harbeth
- Dont pair it with tube amp u will disappointed (low watts amp)
- Better safe some money go for better one
- Bring ur P3 along during audition with any amp (small anyway) +- u can judge the sound character either u like it o not (with this exercise u will never go wrong)

cheers buddy Cool
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 am

khlim,
I am not sure if you are from East or West M'sia but if convenient, perhaps you might want to your P3 to the Maxx bros shop (in Seremban). They have the new Exposure 2010 amp which I have heard and is great value for money. You can test your P3 with that amp. Not sure if they have returned it, but they might still be having the Odyssey Stratos power amp. That one is a bit pricey but should give you a good idea how the more affordable Odyssey Khartigo will work with your P3. This is the one that bassraptor used to have. Until he mono-blocked it. These are just my suggestions only of course.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by SHL-5 Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 pm

How come there's no mention of LFD? I have heard & owned many amps with Harbeth & feel that my current LE III is still the best match with my SHL-5. Extremely musical with superb tonal attributes. Should work a treat with P3s too. There's one for sale at Singapore's Xtremeplace buy/sell. I know the seller. His loss, your gain. IMHO, Harbeths don't need brute power. What they need is high quality power.

SHL-5

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:36 pm

SHL-5 wrote:How come there's no mention of LFD? I have heard & owned many amps with Harbeth & feel that my current LE III is still the best match with my SHL-5. Extremely musical with superb tonal attributes. Should work a treat with P3s too. There's one for sale at Singapore's Xtremeplace buy/sell. I know the seller. His loss, your gain. IMHO, Harbeths don't need brute power. What they need is high quality power.

i also cannot sleep when one of forumer here advertise lfd recently but no phonostage version..price also not bad compare used at echoloft/extremeplace .

not recommend lfd due to price range Wink
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:42 pm

SHL-5 wrote: There's one for sale at Singapore's Xtremeplace buy/sell. I know the seller. His loss, your gain. IMHO, Harbeths don't need brute power. What they need is high quality power.

I believe someone here offered the seller SGD1500.00.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:47 pm

tycham wrote:
SHL-5 wrote: There's one for sale at Singapore's Xtremeplace buy/sell. I know the seller. His loss, your gain. IMHO, Harbeths don't need brute power. What they need is high quality power.

I believe someone here offered the seller SGD1500.00.

hehhehehe....i cannot sleep 2 days thinking of it but i need a built in phonostage version so decide to let it go Cool

p/s - Beside amp LFD also famous with their phonostage
I referring lfd ad here @hifi4sale..im not a person who call and offer
1.5k the seller at sg Very Happy
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:03 pm

LFD phono stage is NOT retrofit table?
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:00 pm

I be the 1 who offer LFD Mk 3 for S$1500 .....hahahah .the seller reply me is " your offer will note " , actually this figure also over my budget, but if the seller accept the deal then die die also go lah
my location is in JB , so is very hard for me to travel out station especially during this period, so if hv to carry my speaker by pass the kastam then even more worse
so for the timing now maybe aiming on the cheap cheap Cyrus II to kill my Hifi fever 1st, may decide to setup another set in the future and move my current set to the bed room
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by SHL-5 Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Frankly speaking, the selling price of the LE III is very reasonable. I've compared my LE III with amps up to S$10K & still prefer the LE III for sheer musicality. That's what i call value for $$$.

Anyway, the old Cyrus II is not bad too. Especially the 1st generation Cyrus II. Comes with a very decent phono stage too. Sounds very good with the old C7.

SHL-5

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Any harbeth user play rock music Question

Sharing ur model and amplification also should be great,Just wanna here some experience about harbeth+rock music

thanks cheers

p/s - fast and heavy rock not a ballad kind of rock music Twisted Evil
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:29 pm

I've heard a couple of Harbeths cranking out big rock music at Tropical Audio and it was fun. If you do go there, try to wrest control of the remote otherwise the uncle might play it too loud!

I believe the Harbeths would make for good rock speakers when paired with a decent vinyl source and respectable amplification. By that I mean good control and dynamics in terms of amplification. Rock music through CD just sounds compressed to me.
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Any owner of Quad QC24 pre here.....? need to know some feedback compare quad solid state version...tq
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:09 am

Special % for harbeth owners PM me for best price cheers

https://www.hifi4sale.net/t25374-quad-pre-power-amplifier-preloved

Thanks

p/s - still need update or review for Quad Qc24 pre Idea
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Tue May 08, 2012 8:58 am

Hi Fizi
how is the feel on your QC24 compare to the 606 ?
mind to share
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Wed May 09, 2012 8:58 am

Hi Khlim_77,

Try leben cs600, u will be amazed, however it is not cheap....

Leben cs300 is well match with harbeth P3, i have a chance listening at the shop, sound natural and guarantee u sitting hr and hr, from cd to cd, word cant describe the enjoyment, go try yourself. Happy listening.

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Character sheet
Source(s): AMR cd-777
Amplification: Leben RS100-u and CS1000P
Speakers: ProAc D28

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 pm

I believe any flawless quality EL84 or EL34 push pull amp, not just the Leben but the likes of some Mullard based tube circuit will make a great match along with being very musical and enjoyable anytime.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Thu May 10, 2012 2:35 pm

khlim_77 wrote:Hi Fizi
how is the feel on your QC24 compare to the 606 ?
mind to share

HI khlim, im still not buying any amp yet, still open to try other amp that really suits me Cool waiting for my friend bringing top model NVA to do some demo

Leben + harbeth is good but the price is not balance, im selling my 66/606mk2 at Rm4k so if spending another Rm10k can the Leben perform 3 times better then my former quads What a Face .... the sounds not really balance with the $$

My simple theory Idea
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Looking for Harbeth users around East side of Klang Valley who is willing to accept visitors.

Thanks
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Ambiophonics setup.
Amplification:
Speakers: Electrostatics

https://stchelvam.wixsite.com/ambiophonics3dstereo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 pm

East M'sia Harbeth owners always welcome visitors :-)

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Haha...you are welcomed too. Your plane most likely to pass over house if you are flying direct from Kucing to KL.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:39 am

HI all harbeth fan
i am back again , now is time to replace my amp ,i had sold my cyrus 2 and looking for the replacement
i had been visit tropical audio for the c7es3 audition , friendly speaking , their setup not as nice as adephi setup , try out the quad 606 and not my cup of coffee
so any advise on naim and exposure in used market ?
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by kurnass Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:21 am

bump
kurnass
kurnass

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s): ARCAM RPAC. Rega P3-24
Amplification: Exposure XX
Speakers: Harbeth P3ESR

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:08 pm

It had been 5 year back for this room .ooking back on my review and still loving on it , just recently replace my amp to exposure 19 & super 18 , is really another league on the upgrade , alot of detail and very musical setup, it bring my hlp3  to another level
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud9 Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 pm

My first post in Harbeth thread Very Happy
Anyone tried biaamp SHL5? I do vertical biamp with 2x NAIM NAP100 and the result is fantastic. It shows greater scale of sound in every aspect.

Cloud
cloud9
cloud9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2010-07-23

Character sheet
Source(s): transport and ESS Sabre
Amplification: Tube & SS
Speakers: Rogers 35仔

Back to top Go down

Post by scwong Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:06 pm

Did the same to good effect with different amps.

scwong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): cd format
Amplification: Integrated
Speakers: bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahler 9 Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:39 am

What an old thread. 
Mate here still with Harbeth
I am still with shl5 + lfd mk3. More than 10 yrs still enjoying.

Mahler 9
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by travellersolo Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:57 am

Yeah what an old thread. Hesitate to mention this when the darling is Harbeth in Malaysia, but I have compared Harbeth P3esr, C7es-3, and Spendor SP1/2: in the same room (properly treated) driving by the same amps using the same cables, on the same stands. They all sound great on their own right. I ended up taking the Spendor. I think Spendor is really under the radar, but I don't mind the status quo, it keeps the used price low which is good for lovers of Spendor.

Last edited by travellersolo on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Point added.)

travellersolo
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by WillT Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Having owned a Harbeth, I must say they are great speakers. But it’s not the answer to speakers.

It has its own sonic character. Great for that live sound, gives amazing vocals. BUT live sounding vocals.

I do not find it that suitable for say pop music or busy music such as a symphony.

There are other speakers that will do great for pop music or symphonies. They may be ‘coloured’ but they sound great.

Just like Maggi Mee with its seasoning. Not much gastronomically but we all love it don’t we?

Dynaudio, Proac etc have it’s own ‘coloured sound’ yet they are great for certain types of music and mood.
WillT
WillT
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2018-11-22

Character sheet
Source(s): Lumin U1 Mini & Matrix Audio X Sabre Pro
Amplification: Silbatone JI-107
Speakers: Graham Audio LS 8/1 and Harbeth M30.2 40th Anniversary ... REL T7x

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm

surprisingly room still on going after so many year 
i still remain my HL-P3es pair with adcom Pre 555 + adcom 5500 power amp 

so far very happy on it , after many year ,only one speaker make me itchy to replace harbeth ,  spatial , lucky is open baffle yet it not allow use at kid environment 

so harbeth still my lover
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zul K Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi all, just stumbled on to this thread. im a current Harbeth Compact 7 ES3 user. Bought a 2n hand unit a few months back. So far I found the sound is really pleasing - esp the mid range. It really good for voices, instruments. But these speakers very sensitive to placement, and the bass sometimes lacking. Wondering if any SHL5+ is the cure for this? Maybe owners here that can give some ideas.... 

Actually I demoed that SHL5+ at the local dealer recently, but cannot get clear answer. Dealer also dont have the 40 Anniversry editions (which according to Alan Shaw himself,  is a technically upgraded version of the speaker).

I listen to different types  of music depending on my mood - vocals (esp female), classic rock, jazz rock, some acoustic jazz etc

Thanks all.

Zul K

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2019-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Zul K wrote:Hi all, just stumbled on to this thread. im a current Harbeth Compact 7 ES3 user. Bought a 2n hand unit a few months back. So far I found the sound is really pleasing - esp the mid range. It really good for voices, instruments. But these speakers very sensitive to placement, and the bass sometimes lacking. Wondering if any SHL5+ is the cure for this? Maybe owners here that can give some ideas.... 

Actually I demoed that SHL5+ at the local dealer recently, but cannot get clear answer. Dealer also dont have the 40 Anniversry editions (which according to Alan Shaw himself,  is a technically upgraded version of the speaker).

I listen to different types  of music depending on my mood - vocals (esp female), classic rock, jazz rock, some acoustic jazz etc

Thanks all.

I was using SHL5 and IMO a subwoofer will be a better choice.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zul Rayman Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:23 pm

Try listen to a fullrange horn type floorstand speaker instead. Loth X ambience tri-Axial 6" with solid Wood horn type design would be good under 2K.. Contact me Zul 0162494684 for further details thanks Smile

Zul Rayman

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Zul Rayman wrote:Try listen to a fullrange horn type floorstand speaker instead. Loth X ambience tri-Axial 6" with solid Wood  horn type design would be good under 2K.. Contact me Zul 0162494684 for further details thanks Smile

I am using full range Sound Lab electrostatics. I still add a subwoofer although it is crossed at about 60Hz. Thanks for sharing the contact. Will contact you for a visit.  My setup is detailed in my signature at the bottom.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by j22 Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Zul K wrote:Hi all, just stumbled on to this thread. im a current Harbeth Compact 7 ES3 user. Bought a 2n hand unit a few months back. So far I found the sound is really pleasing - esp the mid range. It really good for voices, instruments. But these speakers very sensitive to placement, and the bass sometimes lacking. Wondering if any SHL5+ is the cure for this? Maybe owners here that can give some ideas.... 

Thanks all.

I bought SHL5+ few years back after auditioning most of the line at the time - SHL5 (previous version), C7ES3 and M30.1.

First, how big is your room? How far are the speakers from front & side walls, and from the floor (i.e. speaker stand height)? Also what amplifier are you driving them with?

In my opinion, SHL5+ may go a little further at the frequency extremes but it is more a matter of presentation - C7ES3 is quite capable of adequately room filling and satisfying low end, under the right settings. 

Also despite Alan Shaw's persistent claims that amplifiers do not matter (as long as 'good enough'), I find the SHL5+ responds very well to amplification, particularly high quality solid state watts.

j22
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WillT Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:22 am

Alan Shaw believes that IF all amps do what they are meant to do then whichever amp does not matter.

He says amp is only meant to amplify sound without changing the input sound. Input sq = output sq.

As if all amps are the same in doing that. 😂
WillT
WillT
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by samazzah Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:52 am

Alan Shaw has mentioned before that Harbeth works well with solid state and I am in agreement to that after trying out with friend’s valve gear- though I cannot say for high wattage valve gear. Harbeth does not have tight bass considering they use thin sidewalls so use of tight amplification is required
samazzah
samazzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Character sheet
Source(s): CA Azur 851 Streamer/Michell Gyro/OL Conqueror/ VDH Frog
Amplification: Nuprime STA-9
Speakers: B&W 706 /AVI DM 10

Back to top Go down

Post by WillT Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:26 pm

I won’t enjoy something like Zhu or electronica music with tubes (even as a mere preamp) but again, the tube system produces second harmonic distortion that goes so well with easy listening music. Esp when we throw in some really good NOS tubes. 😬

We need SS and tubes at home.
WillT
WillT
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:11 pm

This thread (and discussion forum) here is as good as dead. Nobody posts here anymore for the past few years. 

Just an update. I've finally got rid of my Harbeth SHL5+ bought new from Sam earlier last year. After more than a decade with the Harbeth starting from SHL5 non-Plus to SHL5 Plus, I'm now officially a non-Harbeth user already. Reason of switch is I got bored with the Harbeth sound after 12+ years, and also the current room in the new place is too small for the SHL5+. I replaced the Harbeth SHL5+ with Graham LS5/9. Although the sound quality of the Graham is fairly similar to the Harbeth, there are some distinct differences, and I actually prefer the more refined and detailed sound of the Graham. The Harbeth is slightly more coloured in comparison. 

A note on the Harbeth or BBC speakers in general. I recently tried the Isoacoustics Gaia footers on the Grahams and they totally transformed the speakers by resolving the unnatural bass reproduction in the room. I did not manage to try the Gaias on the Harbeths but believe the effect would be more or less the same since both are BBC speakers constructed from thin-walled cabinet. If anyone feels that the bass of the Harbeth sounds a bit off, plodding, unnatural or undefined, whatever, do give the Isoacoustics Gaia a try.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9