Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Spendor - discussion thread

4 posters

Go down

Spendor - discussion thread Empty Spendor - discussion thread

Post by lklee Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi, all the Sifu of hifi , or spendor lover , please share with us what is the matching amplifier for spendor 2/3r that you can recommend or are using currently .

Thanks alot

lklee

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Spendor - discussion thread Empty Re: Spendor - discussion thread

Post by fizi Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:22 pm

lklee wrote:Hi, all the Sifu of hifi , or spendor lover , please share with us what is the matching amplifier for spendor 2/3r that you can recommend or are using currently .

Thanks alot

Exposure,Creek,Sugden any of this vintage amp will do the job well Cool
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by alfred Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:51 pm

hi iklee, do u already own this spendor 2/3r or u wish to buy them new? if u own them think of using around RM 15k plus cables to fully bring out the full potential of this speaker n if u don't own them try sourcing an amp first before going for speakers.
alfred
alfred
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Character sheet
Source(s): pioneer pd s901 as transport \ denon dcd s10 d/a
Amplification: krell pre / threshold
Speakers: LS 5/12A, Spendor 2/3

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi iklee,

My 2nd speaker (from a basic Polk Audio) was the original Spendor SP2 which I later upgraded to SP2/2. That was many years ago. I was driving both speakers with the classic 'british muscle amp' pair (at that time) of Exposure 7 & 8. I used both CD and analog sources to drive it, including a Linn LP12 with Grace 707 arm and Grado TLZ at one time. The midrange purity was what I remember most fondly of those times. The vocal articulation was the Spendor's greatest strength. Bass, especially from the SP2/2 was quite punchy. But highs are not very exntended and the overall sound was slightly 'darkish' in character.

I also tested the speakers with higher end amps like the Aragon 4004 and an Audible Illusions power amp and the SP2/2 was able to keep up with both of them in the sense that the sound improved quite significantly in all areas compard to the Exposures.

Eventually I upgraded the SP2/2 to a pair of Apogee Centaur Minors. I have always like the Spendor's 'interpretation' of the 'studio monitor sound' with the SP2 and based on what I heard at the KLAVS recently, the current incarnation (SP2/3) still have the same basic characteristic.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content