Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Pioneer - discussion thread

+5
azri
samn
Bite
teleman51
Wan Azami Hamzah
9 posters

Go down

Pioneer - discussion thread Empty Pioneer - discussion thread

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Labelled a giant killer in those days yet still charming today. So I wanna share my view on something so cheap if you don't mind.

My Jadis amp is still not back from repair (taking ages) so the little Pioneer stands in for duty for a while now. Hooked between my Linn Sondek/Ittok/Countrapunkt A/Acurius Phono Stage and my Spendor SP1/2 or Harbeth Compacts, I find little to fault the sound. Normally I just use it to drive a pair of little Rogers Studio 3 using my Mac I Tunes in the office.

Sure my Jadis gives more depth, soundstage and air plus deeper bass and being fantastic with vocals. But this old el cheepo didn't disgrace any music I play through it. There is sufficient grace that goes well beyond being an average hi fi component really. There is extended highs and quite sweet. The mids are quite astonishing and vocals and instruments are never brittle, and the bass though not as extended as my Jadis is sufficiently weighty and more importantly tuneful. The overall impression is a warm honest and balanced sounding amp with enough attack to transients when called for. Soundstage and depth not as extended compared to my Counterpoints and more so the Jadis but there is enough if you're not too worried and just concentrate on the music. For a trannie and not valves it takes a good half an hour to give it's best though.

Last week I was going through a vinyl collection I have just sent for cleaning and played some through this set up including Bob James/Earl Klugh and Sade albums and was kinda amazed at what this cheap Pioneer ( picked up s/h at RM375 5 years ago) can communicate.

This amp I reckon is akin to a Mark 1 Golf GTI and well worth it's collector's image.

Cheers
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Pioneer - discussion thread Empty Re: Pioneer - discussion thread

Post by teleman51 Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Yeah Wan,
You're right about that.Been using one since last year with no problems.

A little bass shy though but this little fella from Pioneer can really kick some ass off some of the new shiny offerings out there.

Sadly time moves on though Pioneer - discussion thread Icon_sad

Keeping mine to maybe pass on to my daughter. Pioneer - discussion thread Icon_eek
That is if she can appreciate it.Probably have to tell her the
whole A400 legend to get her interested though.

Cheers & Shalom
teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz CD52 MK2.Ipod 4
Amplification: Marantz 2265 Receiver,Marantz 3800 Preamp,Marantz 140 Power amp,Marantz 1060 integrated
Speakers: Acoustic Energy Evo 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:56 am

Not heard the A400 but have a Sansui AU222 doing office duty with a pair of Harbeths. Nothing great if measured by audiophile standards but just so musical.

It was better before I had it recapped but still, good enough to enjoy.

Something special about old equipment....dare I say just like the over 50's? Pioneer - discussion thread Icon_biggrin

Bite
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by samn Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:26 pm

I remembered A400X won huge success in early 90s. What was the differences in sound when compare to A400?
samn
samn
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega RP3, Audiolab 8200CD, Marantz CD6003, Teac W790R & Teac V5010
Amplification: Audiolab 8200Q & Audiolab 8000M
Speakers: Mission Volare V63

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:49 pm

will always keep this, its a gem..
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Donno what they did with the 400x. Bought one from Cash Convertor a few years ago for me younger brother and it didn't sound anywhere near the original Brit designed 400. Had a peek inside and circuit layout and components differ. Even the speaker terminals don't take banana plugs. Funny that.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:25 pm

The A400X is probably, by any other, comparison a pretty competent amplifier. The A400, however, was very special. You have to realise that here in australia, it was a $600 amplifier which was rated by many magazines as better than just about every other $2000 design at the time (1990). One English writer thought the A400's power amp section so good that he compared it to an Audio Note Ongaku (current RRP about $80,000).

When Pioneer introduced the A400X a couple of years later, there was so much demand for the A400 they had to bring back the A400 to sell alongside the A400X.
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Hmmm...Azri, interesting that.

Will try firing my Mission 752 floorstanding babies late tonite. If the Audio note was compared with, the super efficient Missions should create some fireworks detail-wise.

Cheers.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wck Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi,

Had both A400 and A400X in the household at same time long ago.

A400 has much more punch than A400X. A400 had dark sound whilst A400X was vice-versa. A400 was heavier as well due to bigger transformer.

Sold them off when came across a Audiolab 8000A ('D' s/n). Was using these to drive my SL6S. All the mentioned units had no trouble driving my SL6S.

The A400X had much difficulty driving my other speakers where were about 79dB. Had to set volume to about 1 o'clock before any sound came thru!!!

wck

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Pioneer - discussion thread Empty Pioneer Cd Player Laser pick up

Post by puiyk1973 Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Hello,

I am looking to change the laser pick up of my pioneer pds 904 player. The model is PEA1179, any idea where can find in Malaysia or any pioneer service centre i can send for replacement? Thank.

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Character sheet
Source(s): AMR cd-777
Amplification: Leben RS100-u and CS1000P
Speakers: ProAc D28

Back to top Go down

Pioneer - discussion thread Empty A400

Post by 1541 Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:47 pm

The facts has speak that A400 is a real steal[performance killer].
Note: It is 3.5time cheaper than well known Naim Nait 3. And lot more cheaper compare to Audionote.. You must then Grab it with both hand if you have encounter one on sale here. Better listen to than never Rolling Eyes
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2010-11-18

Character sheet
Source(s): 1541`s品种狂机
Amplification: Nac42/Nap90
Speakers: SARA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:11 pm

puiyk1973 wrote:Hello,

I am looking to change the laser pick up of my pioneer pds 904 player. The model is PEA1179, any idea where can find in Malaysia or any pioneer service centre i can send for replacement? Thank.

Your post suddenly reminded me of something.....Actually, I do have a unit of the Pioneer PD-S801 CD player myself but it has not been played for a long time (at my parents' place). Perhaps I should open it up one day and see if the optical pickup is identical to your PD-S904.

Any luck in finding that part?
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by puiyk1973 Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:30 am

Hi-Fi 4 Sale wrote:
puiyk1973 wrote:Hello,

Your post suddenly reminded me of something.....Actually, I do have a unit of the Pioneer PD-S801 CD player myself but it has not been played for a long time (at my parents' place). Perhaps I should open it up one day and see if the optical pickup is identical to your PD-S904.

Hi I found one in USA selling new for us 50+, but pds 801 using laser pick up part no PEA1030, http://alltronic.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_35&products_id=7632. anyway, mind is like ur sitting at one corner hibernation, wanted to sell but just too many lower baller....

Any luck in finding that part?

puiyk1973
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Character sheet
Source(s): AMR cd-777
Amplification: Leben RS100-u and CS1000P
Speakers: ProAc D28

Back to top Go down